Teens kill man who wouldn't give them $1

Two teens accused of Frederick Fair assault that killed a man will be detained; victim was from Mount Airy

The man who died after an assault at the Great Frederick Fair last week that officials are calling unprovoked has been identified as John Marvin Weed, 59, of Mount Airy.

Weed was assaulted late Friday afternoon and died Saturday afternoon after being transported to the Maryland Shock Trauma.

The Frederick County Sheriff’s Office on Monday said the investigation is ongoing.

Frederick County State’s Attorney Charlie Smith on Monday said during a news conference that two juveniles who are facing charges, one 15 years old and one 16 years old, will be held in detention in Montgomery County until their next court date in October.

At this point, the 16-year-old could be charged with second-degree assault and the 15-year-old could be charged with manslaughter, Smith said.

“We see no facts in this particular case that would lead anyone to believe that there was an intent to kill, an intent to murder the victim,” he said Monday afternoon.

Smith said the teenagers assaulted Weed after asking him for a dollar. He said officials are still investigating and conducting interviews to determine the exact nature of the incident.

He said the first punch from one of the teenagers was not the fatal blow. Smith said officials have no reason at this time to believe that the incident was a hate crime, nor do officials believe the teens were playing the “knockout game” – a stunt in which a person, typically a teenager, sucker-punches another in an attempt to knock them out.

Smith said more people could be facing criminal charges in the incident.

He said Maryland law does not automatically call for the teenage suspects to be charged as adults, but that his office is going to look at getting a waiver to do so.

“I think the public would want someone punished for causing someone else’s death, even a reckless one," Smith said.

Taylor Soifer, a 23-year-old medical assistant who lives in Frederick, said she has gone to the Great Frederick Fair almost every year since she was 8 years old. It’s something to look forward to, she said.

“It’s such a big event for this town, and it’s so sad to see it turning into such a negative place,” Soifer said. “It’s all anyone is talking about. I haven’t gone anywhere today without it being brought up.”

George Kirk, also 23 and a Frederick native, said he was upset that this incident might color peoples’ perceptions of the fair. Kirk said that, since he was perhaps no older than 8, his parents would drop him off at the fair with some cash and tell him a time to meet them back at the entrance.

The assault and Weed’s death will “make it harder for people, going forward, to enjoy the same experience that I enjoyed,” Kirk said.

Thats crazy.

Assume they kept going since two people are being charged? Can you be charged with manslaughter just for provoking a fight and they end up dying?

Thats crazy.

Assume they kept going since two people are being charged? Can you be charged with manslaughter just for provoking a fight and they end up dying?
Yes.

If you put hands on someone and they die due to related injuries received from your physical contact, you can be charged with man slaughter.

Young punks with no home training. That's real low to team up on a 59 year old man.
This is why I tell my dad to chill with his temper. Dude goes off for the smallest slight in public. One of these days he’s gonna find the wrong cat to mess with and it’s not going to be pretty. 65 year old with road rage and temper tantrums :smh:

Sometimes, you have to intervene. The only reason why kids and teenagers do this is because they know they could get away with it at the moment.

I bet someone they know was recording this horrible act

The fact they did that dumb synchronized jump tells me everything I need know...they did this for social media not for a dollar

5BF2344B-6F7E-4AC9-A3E0-683136C23036.png

U know what
Maybe we need to get more facts
Before we jump the gun

Not saying I believe this post
But just saying

Yes.

If you put hands on someone and they die due to related injuries received from your physical contact, you can be charged with man slaughter.

I mean like, can someone get in trouble if they were a part of the whole **** talking back and forth before a punch.

Like if I'm part of instigating it but don't actually punch someone, is there legal repercussions for that

Hope his friends who didn't do anything aren't being held liable in anyway.

Woah, I wouldn't go that far.

Logically, I agree. But whenever these situations come up, I put myself in their family members shoes & think I would feel the same way as dude. Hopefully, that never happens.

U know what
Before we jump the gun

But just saying

homie aint the most credible source out there lol. I tried my best to google the eyewitness reports or anybody saying anything similar to dude in the IG post but found nada.

U know what
Before we jump the gun

But just saying
“Fearing for his life, punched the man”

Doubt that.
But if dude was a racist and said some slick ****...that’s on him.
Interesting to see how this plays out. What killed him though? That one punch in the video? The article says the initial contact wasn’t the fatal blow.

Who killed someone.
Again.

Thwy are teenagers .

Rehab these KIDS so they are able to move on in life after this mistake.

I don't feel they should have to be locked up forever because of this mistake .

If they were much older adults, different story but they are kids.

Plus I am sure there was no intent to kill, which has to be factored

Back
Top Bottom