TENNIS - Roland Garros: The 2009 French Open

Originally Posted by SinnerP

^ did you watch the match?
Nope, since NBC has the rights to that match it the won't be shown until later on in the day and the Tennis Channel isn't allowed to showit during their live coverage
eyes.gif

eek.gif
U Serious?

Let's Go Gael
No better chance to win your country's national Chamionship

Now Gotta beat Kool-Aid Roddick

YoungBuck32 wrote:
SinnerP wrote:
Nope, since NBC has the rights to that match it the won't be shown until later on in the day and the Tennis Channel isn't allowed to show it during their live coverage
eyes.gif

Then why did you want an "investigation into match-fixing"? Or did I fail to read the sarcasm...

The upset was a combination of Rafa having a poor day and Soderling playing like a possessed man. Sod served very well and was keeping his groundstrokes verydeep, pinning Rafa well behind the baseline. Rafa on the other hand, made a lot of uncharaceristic errors, especially on his usually trusty forehand. Hisgroundstrokes were also landing very shallow (sometimes bouncing inside the service box), which allowed Sod to take control of so many rallies, running Rafaaround the court. A vital stat which popped out to me was in the 3rd set where Rafa, despite getting 92% of his first serves in, still lost 6-4. Sod alsohad more winners in each of the 4 sets than Rafa. Yeah, he had more unforced errors as well, but he also (almost) had twice as many winners as Rafa. Rafaonly winning 45% of his second-serve points was also crucial.

[table][tr][td] [/td] [td][/td] [td]Nadal (ESP)[/td] [td][/td] [td]Soderling (SWE)[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] 1st Serve %[/td] [td]99 of 128 = 77 %[/td] [td]91 of 143 = 64 %[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Aces[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Double Faults[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Unforced Errors[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]59[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Winning % on 1st Serve[/td] [td]66 of 99 = 67 %[/td] [td]62 of 91 = 68 %[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Winning % on 2nd Serve[/td] [td]13 of 29 = 45 %[/td] [td]32 of 52 = 62 %[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td] Winners (Including Service)[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]61[/td] [/tr][/table]
From what I've seen over the years, Rafa appears to be a pretty honest guy on the court. I don't believe, for a minute, that he "took adive"...

I literally went "
eek.gif
" when I read that Nadal lost. Are we gonnaput an asterick next to Federer's name if he wins the 09 French Open? You gotta beat the best to be the best.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

YoungBuck32 wrote:
SinnerP wrote:
Nope, since NBC has the rights to that match it the won't be shown until later on in the day and the Tennis Channel isn't allowed to show it during their live coverage
eyes.gif

Then why did you want an "investigation into match-fixing"? Or did I fail to read the sarcasm...

The upset was a combination of Rafa having a poor day and Soderling playing like a possessed man. Sod served very well and was keeping his groundstrokes very deep, pinning Rafa well behind the baseline. Rafa on the other hand, made a lot of uncharaceristic errors, especially on his usually trusty forehand. His groundstrokes were also landing very shallow (sometimes bouncing inside the service box), which allowed Sod to take control of so many rallies, running Rafa around the court. A vital stat which popped out to me was in the 3rd set where Rafa, despite getting 92% of his first serves in, still lost 6-4. Sod also had more winners in each of the 4 sets than Rafa. Yeah, he had more unforced errors as well, but he also (almost) had twice as many winners as Rafa. Rafa only winning 45% of his second-serve points was also crucial.

[table][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td]Nadal (ESP)[/td] [td][/td] [td]Soderling (SWE)[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]1st Serve %[/td] [td]99 of 128 = 77 %[/td] [td]91 of 143 = 64 %[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Aces[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Double Faults[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Unforced Errors[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]59[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Winning % on 1st Serve[/td] [td]66 of 99 = 67 %[/td] [td]62 of 91 = 68 %[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Winning % on 2nd Serve[/td] [td]13 of 29 = 45 %[/td] [td]32 of 52 = 62 %[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Winners (Including Service)[/td] [td]33[/td] [td]61[/td] [/tr][/table]
From what I've seen over the years, Rafa appears to be a pretty honest guy on the court. I don't believe, for a minute, that he "took a dive"...
laugh.gif
You totally missed the sarcasm.
Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I literally went "
eek.gif
" when I read that Nadal lost. Are we gonna put an asterick next to Federer's name if he wins the 09 French Open? You gotta beat the best to be the best.

Nope. Only way there would be an asterisk is if Nadal was in the final and had to retire while winning the match. No matter who wins the championship the titleisn't diminished since Rafa couldn't win his 4th round match.

I literally went "
eek.gif
" when I read that Nadal lost. Are we gonna put an asterick next to Federer's name if he wins the 09 French Open? You gotta beat the best to be the best.
PSSSSSSSSSSH!

I literally went "
eek.gif

no 1 will put an asterisk ... no 1 had won 5 french opens ... he was due ... w/ that being said we all know that fed has to win it this year or he will neverwin ... and to b considered the greatest imo u have to win a career grand slam ... all he can do is play those in front him
w/ that being said GO FED!!!

I would give my left pinky toe to see Roger play at the French Open Finals. It seems like Roger's mentality has been completely shook by all the losses soclose to Sampras's record but I BELIEVE!

could not believe my eyes when i saw that rafa lost
eek.gif

but hopefull fed will finally get his french open title

As long as Federer avoid Murray at the Finals he should win it. Murray's been owning Roger as of late so I don't think this title will come easy forRoger.

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

As long as Federer avoid Murray at the Finals he should win it. Murray's been owning Roger as of late so I don't think this title will come easy for Roger.

Not necessarily. Clay has been Murray's least favorite surface. I think he'll probably win at Wimbledon before he even comes close to winning theFrench. Fed's a much better clay-court player than Murray is. I really hope I'm wrong, but like I mentioned before, its Fed's tournament to lose. He is, after all, the second-best clay-courter right now...

WOW ARE U @$@%$%$ SERIOUS?
eek.gif

I almost damn near cursed up a storm in church when I checked on my iPhone that Nadal lost
smh.gif
laugh.gif
. Is Soderling even a top 25 player? Well....this isRoger's last chance to win a French Open and if he doesn't he is DONE. I will be rooting for A-Rod tho
pimp.gif

^
Roger is not old, but I guess he is Tennis old. People are starting to write him off as past his prime, but I still think he has a few slams left in him. Imean, look at Rafa, if he can lose at RG of all places, I'm sure Roger still has room to win when others are not playing at the top of their game.

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

^
Roger is not old, but I guess he is Tennis old. People are starting to write him off as past his prime, but I still think he has a few slams left in him. I mean, look at Rafa, if he can lose at RG of all places, I'm sure Roger still has room to win when others are not playing at the top of their game.

i think Roger lost a step after mono but thats just me...i would watch out for nadal at wimbledon though

Originally Posted by Curious24

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

^
Roger is not old, but I guess he is Tennis old. People are starting to write him off as past his prime, but I still think he has a few slams left in him. I mean, look at Rafa, if he can lose at RG of all places, I'm sure Roger still has room to win when others are not playing at the top of their game.

i think Roger lost a step after mono but thats just me...i would watch out for nadal at wimbledon though
Oh no doubt in my mind, Rafa will be a force at Wimby. He proved it last year. He will be in contention and will win a majority of the tournamentshe enters, maybe excluding hard court events, but even that is not certain given how good Rafa is.

Originally Posted by Kobe4MVP12

Roddick gonna take it now that Nadal's out
roll.gif
ohwell.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't want to say anything is certain, I mean Rafa lost in RG, but if the past is any indication of how things are gonna turn out, come the Quarters, ifRoddick and Roger play each other, Roger will be Roddick's "daddy" once again, word to Pedro and the Yankees.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom