Thank you for helping NikeTalk donate $19,000 to build a library in Nepal!

pics? updates? curious.

Here's the latest on this from our contact at Room to Read:

Our Nepal team has selected the fourteen partner communities we
will work with to implement our 2009 constructed library projects. They
have identified the Shree Janajagriti Primary School as the site to
build the library you have so generously sponsored. The school serves
114 students and employs five teachers. It is located in the village of
Vhingri which is in the Pyuthan district about 354 kilometers southwest
of Kathmandu.

Additionally, I would like to take this opportunity to provide an update
on the current situation in Nepal. As you know, Room to Read began its
work almost 10 years ago in Nepal. We have made it our mission to help
the Nepali people create a better world for their children through
educational opportunities. Since the beginning, Nepali communities have
committed to co-investing with us not simply because it is a requirement
but because of their strong belief in the power of education.
Unfortunately, sometimes events outside our control interfere with this
process.

Following a year of significant transition that saw the end of the
monarchy and the conclusion of a guerilla war, the Prime Minister
recently resigned. A new political coalition has quickly formed and a
Prime Minister elected, however it is a fragile partnership facing many
competing interests. In the meantime, general instability including
frequent road closures, power outages, and sky-rocketing cost of goods
and services are among the additional challenges our Nepal team faces as
they work hard to complete the construction on the over 200 schools and
libraries which we began in 2008 and as they begin implementation on the
292 schools and constructed libraries we have planned for 2009. Just
this morning, we received an email from our team that our School Room
Program Officer, Devkota, had to curtail his visits to our projects when
he came upon a highway blockade that forced him to abandon his vehicle
and walk 7 miles to reach the next town.

Due to the current environment, we are anticipating delays to our
forecasted 18-month implementation and reporting schedule for our 2009
schools and constructed libraries. We anticipate having an application
report to share with you on your library in August, instead of June as
originally planned. The completion report which we had expected to
receive in June 2010 will also likely be delayed. Throughout the year, I
will continue to provide updates on the situation in Nepal as they
becomes available. Now more than ever, the people of Nepal need our
assistance during these challenging times and we greatly appreciate your
partnership. Please let me know if you have any questions about the
delays.

Again, thank you to you and your colleagues for generously supporting
our work, and for helping us to bring so many children in the developing
world the lifelong gift of education.

Warmest regards,

While we're all disappointed that the people of Nepal are facing increased uncertainty and instability due to the political situation there, we greatlyappreciated Room to Read's willingness to keep us apprised of the situation. They've been among the best charities we've worked with thus far interms of maintaining contact and keeping us informed regarding both progress AND delays.

I hope we can provide some additional details soon, if they're able to complete an application report this month, but we should also have a new donation toannounce within the next month or so as well.

That both awesome and disappointing at the same time. I'm always skeptical about charities and other organizations based in 3rd world countries as bothfraud and misrepresentation seem to rear its ugly head whenever cash donations are involved. Keep up the good work.

im proud to be apart of an outstanding organization that helps benefit the world, keep up the good work

pimp.gif

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and understanding regarding Room to Read. I'll be sure to post an update here once we receive news from them. In themeantime, I'm excited about our next donation - a very timely one - that I hope to announce before the end of the month.

We are well on pace to break the $100,000 mark in total donations prior to the community's tenth anniversary in December. Obviously we're stillironing out some issues with our ads, but it is always our goal to ensure that each of you has the best experience possible while browsing our site. Westarted out solely to serve our fellow sneaker fans and you're obviously at the heart of everything we do. Thanks so much to everyone who's stuck withus and refused to enable ad blocking software. You're the ones who make these donations possible.

When you think about the difference that this library will make in the lives of hundreds of young people, the difference it makes in your life to contribute toour ad revenues, and, thus, our donations is, I believe, well worth it. Ad values are down industry-wide, so we all have to pull together if we want tomaintain our current level of giving. Of course, as many of you already know, we've also been raising money with our apparel products, www.niketalk.com/store, so please check that out as well. I know some people are tiredof us plugging it, but we're just trying to do the best we can to raise money for charity in tough economic times.
That both awesome and disappointing at the same time. I'm always skeptical about charities and other organizations based in 3rd world countries as both fraud and misrepresentation seem to rear its ugly head whenever cash donations are involved. Keep up the good work.
Actually, while Room to Read has operations in several countries they're based in the US. It's important to avoid painting with a broadbrush, though, as there are so many wonderful organizations located around the world that don't deserve to be stained by the unethical conduct of those whojust so happen to inhabit the same country. Dirtylicious lives in the same state as the New Jersey Nets, after all, and we're understanding enough not toassociate him with their atrocities.

A couple of years back, as you may recall, we supported a charitable organization in the Philippines called Gawad Kalinga, which came highly recommended byKing Crux and some of our other members based there. It did take us awhile to get the transfer straightened out - an issue we never have with domesticorganizations - but NT is a global community and there's much to be said for the autonomy of local, grassroots groups with an inherent understanding of thecommunities they both live in and serve.

Often times organizations and even individuals downplay charitable groups based outside the US in order to rationalize their decision to restrict all theirdonations to domestic groups - and the reason why often boils down to nothing more than tax deductions. We're structured such that those considerationsaren't even a factor. Ultimately, our concern is to use community resources to help worthy charitable organizations perform their important work in placesaround the world - wherever that may be.

Are we really on our way to raising a $100,000!??! Wow, that's insane and quite an achievement if true.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Good stuff. I turned off my adblock, didnt know how much ad revenue was helping.

happy.gif
Makes me feel good just for browsing NT. The notes from the kids were really nice.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Dirtylicious lives in the same state as the New Jersey Nets, after all, and we're understanding enough not to associate him with their atrocities.
frown.gif

Please, like you didn't see it coming a mile away.

It'll be New Jersey's legacy to the NBA. #1 in the record books.

Back
Top Bottom