Thank you for helping NikeTalk sponsor a Room to Read library in India!

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
At NikeTalk, we believe that we're stronger together than we ever could be separately. As a community, we've donated over $360,000 for charity from our advertising revenues - and raised an additional $35,000 through merchandising and group fundraising events.

Thus far, we've contributed to a wide array of amazing organizations, but we've been particularly supportive of those devoted to education and literacy. NikeTalk has now sponsored school and library programs in eight different countries. Today, I'm thrilled to share a progress update from one of our most recent projects, a Room to Read library at the Government Primary School in Karmandi, India.

Chhattisargh-4.jpg

In late 2015, we contributed $30,000 to Room to Read, one of the world's premiere nonprofit organizations dedicated to promoting literacy and gender equality in education to sponsor the library itself, as well provide ongoing support and teacher training.

The Government Primary School Karmandi serves 126 students in grades 1-5, and is located in the state of Chhattisgarh - where only 60% of women can read, compared to 80% of men.

Thanks to Room to Read, Karmandi's 126 primary school students can now enjoy 692 children's books - including 306 local language books published in house by Room to Read.

Chhattisargh-3.jpg

To help furnish the library, Room to Read also provided book racks, cushions, mats, display boards, posters, and educational materials.

Chhattisargh-2.jpg

Since the project's launch in the summer of 2016, local Room to Read staff have thus far returned ten times for over 45 days of training and professional development. In 2017, seventy additional copies of Room to Read local language children's books were also provided.

Across India, second grade students in Room to Reach schools read three times faster than their peers. Consequently, Room to Read has begun working with the Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand state governments in attempt to boost reading proficiency throughout the regions.

CHHATTISGARH1.jpg

Additional follow-up visits will occur this year, as well, to administer additional training and deliver new books.

CHHATTISGARH2.jpg

If you appreciate these efforts, consider contributing to Room to Read directly: https://www.roomtoread.org/

To date, Room to Read has reached over 12 million children, distributed over 20 million books, published over 1,600 original titles (one of which was sponsored by NikeTalk), and partnered with 19,884 schools. (Four of which we've sponsored directly.)

CHHATTISGARH4.jpg

CHHATTISGARH3.jpg

As always, the NikeTalk team and I thank you for your continued support, without which none of these donations would be possible.

At NikeTalk, we believe that we're stronger together than we ever could be separately.

as divided as NT members (including me) gets with sensitive topics, this couldnt be any more true.

We, as a community, will always be stronger than everyone trying to do things on their own.

Much respect to all the members, despite our differences.

Didn’t the site back in th day have a link or spot where you could donate money or am I remembering wrong?

Should bring that back as an optional thing where somewhere could donate anytime they wish?

Doesn’t matter the amount, oh I got $2.47 sitting in Paypal doing nothing with it why not click a button an donate it? Every little bit counts

Didn’t the site back in th day have a link or spot where you could donate money or am I remembering wrong?

Should bring that back as an optional thing where somewhere could donate anytime they wish?

Doesn’t matter the amount, oh I got $2.47 sitting in Paypal doing nothing with it why not click a button an donate it? Every little bit counts
When we started NikeTalk in 1999, we attempted to run the site ad free for as long as we possibly could. At the time, the forum software we used offered an ad free subscription at an affordable (though ultimately unsustainable) rate. For the first couple of years, @Nelson C and I would pay it ourselves. Over time, though, the hosting company could no longer afford to subsidize ad free subscriptions, and the rates began to rise dramatically.

We made use of the platform's crowdfunding tools, known as the "community chest," to cover those costs for as long as we could - but then the platform's ownership changed and we were forced to rely on advertising.

Ever since, we've used the community's advertising revenues to cover the costs associated with the site and fund our contributions to charity. We've thus encouraged those interested in supporting the community to consider contributing directly to charities like Room to Read instead of giving it to us.

On our new platform, we do have the ability to sell premium subscriptions - and perhaps that's something we'll look at in the future if there's interest in a reduced advertising experience for subscribers or something along those lines (or if the downward trend in online advertising that's contributing to the massive layoffs and site closures in the online media world continues.) If, however, your objective is to support an organization like Room to Read, giving directly is your best option. By donating directly, the funds will reach the organization as quickly as possible and those eligible would retain the option to claim any applicable tax deduction(s) associated with their contribution.

One of the few advantages to contributing through an intermediary would be to conceal the donor's information for privacy reasons. It's always important to perform due diligence regarding charitable contributions, like any other transaction, and review each organization's track record and privacy policy. You can find Room to Read's privacy policy here: https://www.roomtoread.org/privacy-policy/ Unlike far too many organizations, Room to Read does not sell donor information to third parties.

Anyone interested can support Room to Read directly here: https://www.roomtoread.org/support-education

Never in life did I think this little black and red site that I stumbled across in my dorm room in 2002 would be so impactful on my life and the lives of others. Glad to be apart of the community.

hey meth
quick question
do we ever contribute to cause to help people in this country
like im not saying theres anything wrong with helping folks in other countries
far from it
so please dont misconstrue what im saying as i dont like it
or have anything negative with helping people from other countries
but it would be nice to see a niketalk sponsored room to read
in some of the urban area here
and again
i dont mean for it to be negative
or criticize it in any way
and i know we have done things for women abuse or shelters
or something from what i remember
is there a way we could vote for where the contributions go
or something like that
just asking........

also that didnt look like 692 books in the pics u posted
where did the money really go :nerd:

JK :lol:

Never in life did I think this little black and red site that I stumbled across in my dorm room in 2002 would be so impactful on my life and the lives of others. Glad to be apart of the community.

Preach! I stumbled on it in 2003 or 2004 but I’ve checked it daily since

hey meth
quick question
do we ever contribute to cause to help people in this country
Firstly, it's helpful to remember that NikeTalk was founded by a Canadian and has always been international, so the " 'merica first" argument doesn't really apply here.

That said, we've repeatedly supported organizations that work in the United States. You can see the full list here: https://niketalk.com/ams/community-contributions-to-date.8670/

In terms of education, we donated to Access Books to refurbish a library in Los Angeles. We've also given to the Harlem Children's Zone and Maya Angelou Schools (See Forever Foundation.)
We've contributed to the Children's Defense Fund, and supported higher education through the UNCF and American Indian College Fund.

We have, of course, also supported organizations that benefit Americans in other ways. For example, we've given multiple times to the Equal Justice Initiative. We've contributed to Habitat for Humanity, the Human Rights Campaign, and the One Love Foundation to prevent domestic/relationship violence. One of our earliest donations went to Ettie Lee Homes, which provides group homes and other services for at risk youth - and once helped a NikeTalk staff member when he was a child with nowhere else to go.

NikeTalk has also supported The Humane Society's End Dogfighting Campaign, the American Cancer Society, and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We instructed @instyleshoes to distribute last year's snapback/shirt sales between the Mexican American Legal Defense Fund, the ACLU, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Equal Justice Initiative.

Many of the organizations we've supported have been recommended or suggested by our fellow members, and we've created polls to allow users to decide which organizations would receive contributions on multiple occasions.

It's been so long, do you know how the kid that had the cleft lip is doing?

Or am I misremembering?

Firstly, it's helpful to remember that NikeTalk was founded by a Canadian and has always been international, so the " 'merica first" argument doesn't really apply here.

That said, we've repeatedly supported organizations that work in the United States. You can see the full list here: https://niketalk.com/ams/community-contributions-to-date.8670/

In terms of education, we donated to Access Books to refurbish a library in Los Angeles. We've also given to the Harlem Children's Zone and Maya Angelou Schools (See Forever Foundation.)
We've contributed to the Children's Defense Fund, and supported higher education through the UNCF and American Indian College Fund.

We have, of course, also supported organizations that benefit Americans in other ways. For example, we've given multiple times to the Equal Justice Initiative. We've contributed to Habitat for Humanity, the Human Rights Campaign, and the One Love Foundation to prevent domestic/relationship violence. One of our earliest donations went to Ettie Lee Homes, which provides group homes and other services for at risk youth - and once helped a NikeTalk staff member when he was a child with nowhere else to go.

NikeTalk has also supported The Humane Society's End Dogfighting Campaign, the American Cancer Society, and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We instructed @instyleshoes to distribute last year's snapback/shirt sales between the Mexican American Legal Defense Fund, the ACLU, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Equal Justice Initiative.

Many of the organizations we've supported have been recommended or suggested by our fellow members, and we've created polls to allow users to decide which organizations would receive contributions on multiple occasions.
Cool
I appreciate the response

It's been so long, do you know how the kid that had the cleft lip is doing?

Or am I misremembering?
You're thinking about our contributions to Operation Smile:

https://niketalk.com/threads/thanks-for-helping-nt-donate-over-2-000-to-operation-smile.419/
https://niketalk.com/threads/thank-you-for-helping-niketalk-donate-10-000-to-operation-smile.504473/
https://niketalk.com/threads/help-u...n-honor-of-niketalks-15th-anniversary.613946/

Those contributions weren't connected with one particular individual, so we have no follow up information. Rather, the donation helped support many operations for children with cleft lip or cleft palate. According to Operation Smile, these procedures can be performed for less than $240 per child, and NikeTalk has thus far given over $22,000 for that purpose.

thanks for posting that link. i have a 5 year old boy that loves to read and it would be horrible if he wasn’t able to access books and writing/drawing material to grow his mind. i am reminded how blessed i am and how important it is to speak with action (and not just words) as a part of being grateful. i hope that my donation will be a small part to help arm young people with access to knowledge that can better their lives.

Back
Top Bottom