The College Basketball Post

I don't think Kentucky loses tonight, or at all, but the Vegas odds for a Wisconsin-Duke matchup are wild. Arizona-Gonzaga is likelier to them, but to me both are equally feasible.

Will UNLV's offense be better in the coming years? Don't want Vaughn to go to waste.

battier says tonight is the night 
nerd.gif

I don't think Kentucky loses tonight, or at all, but the Vegas odds for a Wisconsin-Duke matchup are wild. Arizona-Gonzaga is likelier to them, but to me both are equally feasible.

Will UNLV's offense be better in the coming years? Don't want Vaughn to go to waste.
The UNLV offense got better as the year went on but they got killed by lack of depth and injury. That being said it was horrible at the beginning so they had nowhere to go but up. There's still talk about Vaughn declaring isn't there?

Not trying to start any war here... Just an honest question.

I'm curious if you think cal is a good coach when it comes to "X's & O's". His record and history speaks for itself. His ability to recruit talent and manage the talent is probably second to none. But say you put coach cal on my beloved CU Buffaloes... Do the buffs have a dramatically better record this year with the same talent? Or do they get bounced from the NIT by Seattle? Any thoughts? I can only really notice when a coach seems extrodinarily good or awful (Scott brooks).

His 1992 Massachusetts team remains one of the most overachieving units The Minutes has ever seen, featuring a shooting guard with range so limited he made one 3-pointer all season (Jim McCoy), a 6-foot-3 power forward (Will Herndon), and a left-handed center who stood all of 6–7 (Harper Williams). Somehow, that collection of marginal talent went 30–5 and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16

The injury bug hit em hard this season ...they lost all their pg's before the season even started , n the replacement was so horrible that they were essentially playing 4 on 5 out there :smh: ...they should be a lot better next year if Vaughn n their pg's come back

The only things Kentucky has to worry about:

- WVU's offensive rebounding. One of the best in the country at getting second chances off of their own misses.
- WVU's defense had the highest turnover rate in the country, so watch Kentucky's point guards closely tonight to see how composed they're playing period, but specifically how composed they're playing when things aren't going and the pressure has hindered them.

They were playing against the Big 12 all season, and have several good wins in the Big 12. But, the Big 12 does not offer any opponents on Kentucky's level obviously, and the same goes for all conferences. The Big 12 has proven it's a conference where even the top teams can be beaten by anybody (Baylor losing to a No. 14, Iowa State losing to a No. 14, Kansas losing to a No. 7, Texas out in the first round again) MEANING I'm very sure that a quality team like West Virginia can beat those teams and accumulate some nice top-25 wins on their resume. Credit where credit's due, but the tournament proceedings give us a window now.

Could you say, 'The SEC doesn't offer an opponent like West Virginia'? Yes. Georgia was extremely average this year in my opinion and could have switched schedules with a lot of non-tourney teams who would have also made the tournament if facing the same, exact teams.

But... we know for a fact that Kentucky is great. Mostly everything said about them is validated regardless of the quality of foes in their conference. West Virginia is good, but their resume post-first round of the NCAA tournament doesn't tell us how good they are or how capable they are of taking down Kentucky.

Kentucky has the No. 1 three-point defense in the country, the No. 2 defense in the country at defending two-point FGs as well, the No. 6 offense in efficiency, and you know how I and Osh mentioned WVU's offensive rebounding? Kentucky's offensive rebounding is No. 6 in the country, and it's not a steep drop-off from No. 1 to No. 6 over the course of how many games we've played.

The Huggins/Cal stat has nothing to do with KAT, Cauley-Stein, etc.

They might be in a close game with WVU or have a slim 4-5 point lead throughout the first 25-30 minutes of the game, but all will be well by the end of the game.

Back
Top Bottom