The College Basketball Post

Nolan smith being added to duke staff

Special assistant role. Nate and Jon both started in that position. He's been doing some work with the program the past few weeks but it was announced yesterday. Injuries(most recently a torn acl) ended his career so good to see him come back. He'll be a hell of a recruiter some day soon

Nobody is passing up Simmons at 1, there will
Be talk about picking somebody else just to generate convo and buzz for the draft
I just don't see that as true. Simmons is a great prospect and I think that Ingram is too, especially for what NBA is today. Simmons doesn't project to be a good defender nor does he offer rim protection, and you're banking on his jumper being vastly improved. In a space and pace league, you almost certainly have to give Ingram strong consideration at 1. He's a freak.

IU is in first place in the Big 10 which is cool I guess but this team is still prime to lose in the first round cause they are a different team outside of Assembly Hall. Primed for an upset in the first round against a mid-major.
You a new IU fan ? The last few years of Knight all u had was AJ Guyton and Luke Recker. Be thankful for what the f you have
IU will go as far as Yogi takes them.

I just don't see that as true. Simmons is a great prospect and I think that Ingram is too, especially for what NBA is today. Simmons doesn't project to be a good defender nor does he offer rim protection, and you're banking on his jumper being vastly improved. In a space and pace league, you almost certainly have to give Ingram strong consideration at 1. He's a freak.
Simmons does everything better than Ingram except shoot.  I like Ingram and would love the Lakers getting him if we have the 2nd pick.

I've been a IU fan my whole life, doesn't mean I have to be thrilled with the mediocrity that is Tom Crean's existence.

Especially when you consider if they fired him, there would be about two dozen coaches who are all better than him chomping at the bits for the job.

Last edited:

Simmons does everything better than Ingram except shoot.  I like Ingram and would love the Lakers getting him if we have the 2nd pick.
He doesn't defend better than Ingram and doesn't project to be a better defender in the league, IMO. And shooting is a big part of today's game, especially with a guy who is ball dominant like Simmons. I just don't think that there's this huge gap between them that people seem to believe. Both prospects with very real flaws. 

I really don't and never have understood this Simmons is a lock stuff.

I would lean towards Simmons over Ingram, but its not some massive gap.

I really can't stress this enough, this draft is garbage.

Last edited:

You must not have watched any Duke games this year to say some **** like that.

You must not have watched any Duke games this year to say some **** like that.
You tell what he is better at than Ben Simmons.  Simmons again at every aspect of the game is better and more efficient which isn't a slight to Ingram.  Ingram is a better shooter.  If you want to say he is a slightly better defender... Okay maybe but that is arguable.  What else does he do better? 

Last edited:
You guys don't think Ingram is too slow to be a great prospect like you guys are talking him up to be?  Doesn't seem as quick slashing to the basket as other tall long wings before

You guys don't think Ingram is too slow to be a great prospect like you guys are talking him up to be?  Doesn't seem as quick slashing to the basket as other tall long wings before

these super skinny guys athleticism tends to improve a lot when you get em in NBA training programs.

Durant didn't have a killer first step in college, Gannis didn't have great explosion in greece,

I'm not as worried about slowness as I am about his footwork and feel for operating in the paint, doesn't seem to have a feel for using hesitation/ timing / change of direction to generate clean looks in the paint.

Ingram is better at getting his own shot off the dribble in the half court then Ben.

these super skinny guys athleticism tends to improve a lot when you get em in NBA training programs.

Durant didn't have a killer first step in college, Gannis didn't have great explosion in greece,

I'm not as worried about slowness as I am about his footwork and feel for operating in the paint, doesn't seem to have a feel for using hesitation/ timing / change of direction to generate clean looks in the paint.
You mean getting his shot with his back to the basket?

Idk why y'all are expecting Ben to be a "rim protector". He's a 4. He just has to be a versatile defender to be effective in the league. Which he absolutely projects to be. It's all about effort defensively with him.

He can potentially stick 1-4. Quick enough laterally...and has very quick strong hands. You pair him with an actuall rim protecting C, and that's a Frontcourt than can wreak havoc with Ben switching and flying around defensively.

Last edited:
Is this the longest running post on NT?

Reading page one blows my mind
Very possible,this joint started in 2008.....

Let's see if UK can bounce back tonight with a depleted front court that was at best mediocre to begin with....Better see Tai tonight or I'm gonna be heated..

You mean getting his shot with his back to the basket?

nah that was a terrible explination by me.

Its hard to describe, that natural feel that all great penetrators have for turning a good shot into a great shot.

That timing, the understanding of when to, hesitate, change direction, slow down, speed up, especially in traffic.

You can see this most obviously in guys that lack athleticism, like Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Brandon Roy back in the day, Kyrie,even guys who don't have great handles can have a feel for scoring and getting in the paint, like TJ warren.

The guys who lack it like imo Brandon Ingram, and Harrison Barnes for example, Jamal Murray as well tend to be really jump shot reliant and I'm not so sure Brandon ingram is a good enough shooter to be as jumpshot reliant as he is and be a superstar on the next level.

I have a PG crush on Ullis. Kid is everything a pg should be except lack of height. If he is 6'1 hes gone bc he would be a top 5 pick.

Last edited:
First time I saw the kid get valuable minutes I knew he was the goods. He was better then Andrew, hell the team was better when he was in there, if Cal didn't play the politic game Kentucky would've cut down the nets last year. And I truely think he's the best pg in country this year.

Last edited:
Isiah Thomas flourishing gives me hope Ulis will do his thing at the next although I understand they are two totally different players.

But yeah, if he was just atleast 6'0 he'd be a high draft pick.

What's is true height? Not his listed height or with shoes on bs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom