The Dallas Cowboys ... vol. Wrap This Thing Up, Who To Draft?

They better get a DB or another OL here in the 4th... Several left that would still help here.

maybe i missed something, but bruce carter is supposed to play in the middle? with who, sean lee? so we are putting 2 wills at inside linebacker? that would be a disaster ... i dont see bruce carter being an ilb AT ALL ... he will be an edge rusher or the designated olb in coverage while ware is coming off the edge ...

it's like jerry said we cant cover anybody with our secondary so we might as well lighten up our lbs ... and the fact of the matter is, the dude cant even cover that well ... id rather have clay's little brother ... at least he doesnt have a knee ... smh

and what the hell are we doing at running back? drafting a no move, straight line, injury prone overachiever to be our 3rd down back and keep felix as our "workhorse" ... really?

i feel the same way i did after last years draft ... we have NEEDS and we dont address them ... it's like jerry is under the illusion he's the patriots and has the luxury of taking these random players for no reason ...

what was the worst area of our football team last year? the secondary ... how have we addressed that area? how bad was our o-line really? romo got hurt because we had a garbage rookie playing fb for us and couldnt pick up a blitz ... did we not forget that JON KITNA absolutely fried for the majority of the rest of the year? it's not like he's the most agile mother %!%@@@ on the planet ...

I don't get the gripe about not taking a DB so far...

There are probably zero safeties in this draft that are going to come in and start in a decent secondary next year. They passed on Prince, but other than that?

The OL wasn't really that bad? False. It was awful.

so you think bruce carter will help the football team more than rahim moore would have?

thats what it comes down to ... who at that point would help the team more, a tweener who tore his acl or a free safety who has some ball skills?

well, i guess we just saw there plan ... looked pretty pissed when the broncos just took carter ... so now the broncos have two potential starters at safety and we have none ... wonder what the weakest link was for the broncos last year ... ... ...

Originally Posted by ALSDAMAN24

I think the way they have drafted so far is a sign that they're going to be active in Free Agency filling spots. I think that they have too many needs to all get filled in the draft. I don't have a problem with any picks.

That sounds about right.....Jerry knows this team needs help in the secondary, and since we didn't take one of the higher rated DBs in the draft, i don't see him standing pat with the issues on D

Originally Posted by thachosen123

That sounds about right.....Jerry knows this team needs help in the secondary, and since we didn't take one of the higher rated DBs in the draft, i don't see him standing pat with the issues in the on D
you mean like hes done for the past 12 years?

and now we have to watch clay's brother dominate us at ILB (A GOD DAMN +%*+$*! NEED OF THE COWBOYS) for his career ... but we got bruce carter though
mad.gif

Well in previous years it ain't like he hasn't brought any body in, for whatever reason they just didn't pan out over the years

great! we got our developmental, lower ceiling aquasi ansu ansahs to address our secondary needs ...

i love the OL picks. we need a Tackle and got smith and reading up on david arkin sounds like we got a good player. bruce carter was a top 15 pick before hurt his knee. good vaule in the 2nd round and he should be able to play inside.

the Murry pick. idk. we have 3 AVG RB right now and you pretty much add another one. he should be a impact on KR tho.

not to mad about not addressing are DB issue. because its a deep FA class for CB and safteys.

Looks like Sam Hurd is done. Would love for them to give Ogletree another year just to see if he can get back to where he was his rookie year. He's still one of their deep threats. I don't think the Cowboys would have the guts to swallow their pride and release Roy.

Eventually, I want to see them pick up Deunta Williams and see if he's healthy. Low risk

Not sure how much y'all know about DeMarco Murray.
OU is on tv just about every Saturday in the Dallas area.

Dude aint no chump RB & has shades of Eric Dickerson.

Murray is good...if he can stay healthy. Cowboys might now have the softest RB combo in the league with Felix and Demarco.

do yall have half a brain?

what in the hell did we draft a running back for? at the very least we have choice and felix ... a small "pounder" and a heavy "homerun hitter" ... am i the only person that views reality? if we are getting rid of MBIII, then we have a tiny workhorse and a 1st round draft pick that was supposed to be our change of pace back ...

we dont need a @!+*@%@ demarco @!+*@%@ murray to prance around when we have choice and felix ... we dont NEED a 3rd running back, we cant even get the ball to choice and felix enough let alone adding demarco murray ...

its not about the player, its about the god damn need ... what the +!%# are we drafting a rb for when we cant stop a nose bleed on defense and jon kitna was able to put up points? i dont care if we miss on 17 corners and 12 safeties ... unless you are addressing your needs, you will still have the same problems ...

the only way to salvage this draft is if namdi or another high value fa is coming ... if not, +!%# jerry jones for about the 10th straight year ...

+*+#*$ steven jackson god damn +*+#*$ julius jones gimme a @!+*@%@ break ...

IRVING, Texas - Well, by Jerry Jones' standards, it wasn't the most memorable draft in Cowboys history.

No trades. No decidedly high-risk, high-reward picks. The first first-round offensive lineman taken by the organization in the last 30 years - a position that, by Jones' own admission, typically doesn't make "big splash" headlines compared to, say, a Heisman Trophy-winning running back or quarterback.

Coming off a frustrating 6-10 season, the Cowboys don't care about constructing a "wow" factor class as long as it proves to be a productive one.

Their 2011 draft includes eight picks, all of whom are expected to compete for spots and/or starting jobs on the 53-man roster. Part II of II takes a closer look at the final four selections:

Josh Thomas
Cornerback, Buffalo
5-11, 198
5th round (143rd overall)

Who's He: Think of Thomas as Orlando Scandrick 2.0, which, if he could live up to it, would mean the team made good use of its fifth-round pick. Like Scandrick, he's described in scouting reports as an edgy, competitive defender who likes to use his body against receivers. And, like Scandrick, he isn't exactly a ball hawk, with only two career interceptions, but playing at the level he did and with lesser talent surrounding him, teams weren't exactly compelled to test Thomas all that often.

How He Fits: Like much of this draft, it's easy to see Thomas pushing someone off the roster if he is what the Cowboys believed him to be in the scouting process. The Cowboys say they'll keep more cornerbacks this year than last, and the bottom of the depth chart already includes Bryan McCann and Alan Ball, who is expected to move back from safety. Though McCann was often impressive as an undrafted rookie last year, his spot could be threatened by Thomas. Ball is likely to stick around because of his versatility, experience and proven special teams ability.

Worth Mentioning: A product of nearby Cedar Hill, Texas, Thomas stood out to the Cowboys on "Dallas Day," their annual workout for local products. The club has made a habit of bringing in homegrown talent in recent drafts, including linebacker Brandon Williams, wide receiver Patrick Crayton and cornerback Jacques Reeves.

Dwayne Harris
Wide Receiver, East Carolina
5-10, 200
6th round (176th overall)

Who's He: A former high school quarterback who is built like a running back and is highly experienced as a receiver, both split out wide and in the slot, Harris can fill a number of different roles for the Cowboys on offense and special teams. He is very polished for a small school product, holding East Carolina records for receptions (268) and receiving yards (3,001), and while not a real burner, he can make plays with the ball in his hands following underneath catches.

How He Fits: Offensively, Harris can compete with third-year receiver Kevin Ogletree for playing time, a competition he'll have a great advantage in if he proves he can contribute well on special teams. He'll have a shot to win jobs as a returner, but equally important is what he does in kickoff and punt coverage.

Worth Mentioning: Whether or not the Wildcat offense is due for extinction in the NFL remains to be seen, but Harris may be able to quarterback the gimmicky set if it remains a part of the Cowboys' arsenal. A 4A state champion passer in Georgia as a prep, he has an arm, completing 4-of-9 passes for 153 yards with two touchdowns while with the Pirates.

Shaun Chapas
Fullback, Georgia
6-2, 236
7th round (220nd overall)

Who's He: A true blocking fullback who has experience against very physical defensive players in the Southeastern Conference, Chapas was among the four team captains selected by the Cowboys on draft weekend. In addition to being honored by the SEC academically, the Bulldogs named him their Leon Farmer Award winner for his dedication in the weight room.

How He Fits: In all likelihood, the Cowboys will keep only one fullback, so it's easy to see Chapas in a head-up competition with incumbent Chris Gronkowski, who last year took over for Deon Anderson. Gronkowski wasn't the true head-buster the team prefers at the position, and made a number of critical mental mistakes, including the missed block that led to a season-ending hit on quarterback Tony Romo.

Worth Mentioning: In addition to his academic and conditioning honors, Chapas earned the Bulldogs' Coaches Leadership Award for Special Teams, as well as the David Jacobs Award, given to the player who by example portrays courage, spirit, character and determination. He also earned the "True Grit" Award and was selected as a permanent captain.

Bill Nagy
Offensive Lineman, Wisconsin
6-3, 318 7th round (252nd overall)

Who's He: A relatively inexperienced player who was a backup at multiple positions for the Badgers, Nagy was expected to start heading into his junior season, but lost the job when he suffered wrist and foot injuries after a moped accident. His replacement excelled, leaving Nagy to contribute at tackle, guard, center and even a bit of tight end. Playing multiple positions, he made eight starts as a senior in 2010.

How He Fits: It's hard to say at this time. This was a flyer pick, made because the Ohio native showed enough potential in limited opportunities to think he could still develop into an NFL player. The Cowboys may experiment with him at multiple positions, but he seems best suited for guard or center. He will have to earn his way onto the roster, but if there isn't room, would be an ideal practice squad lineman.

Worth Mentioning: Despite not having a true position of his own and riding the bench in five games, Nagy was named an honorable-mention All-Big Ten performer by the conference's coaches in 2010.

FML ...

Drafting for need gets you in trouble. Draft according to your board and take the best players available. Sort the rest out later...

Weren't you pissing and moaning about drafting an OL because the OL wasn't all that bad last year... Yeah, you're clinging to reality.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Drafting for need gets you in trouble. Draft according to your board and take the best players available. Sort the rest out later...

Weren't you pissing and moaning about drafting an OL because the OL wasn't all that bad last year... Yeah, you're clinging to reality.
i'm sorry, but what has been the weakest link on our team for the past 96482464286 seasons?

I'm not as upset with the 9 pick as I am with the rest of them ... Josh Thomas? My man went to Buffalo and told me not to expect him to make the team ... And apparently, he likes when the guys take showers after practice, not that there's anything wrong with that, just sayin ...

man..if any of yall ever watched UNC games you will know that Bruce Carter is a playmaker...yea he played outside,but hes a big physical guy,that can go sideline to sideline and wont look lost trying to defend a NFL tightend (see marcades lewis,greg olsen among others last year)...Butch Davis always has NFL ready talent on the defense of his teams, UNC certainly isnt one of his historic U teams but they had as much talent defensively as anyone last year..him and Sean Lee are going to be quite the tandem if they stay healthy..

as far as Demarco Murray...alot of the sites i frequent(dallascowboys.com,bloggingtheboys,star telegram) have him completely pushing Choice out of the way and competing for the starting job...As weve seen the past two seasons,when it comes to Jason and Jerry,dont put anything past them...especially when it comes to the rb rotation..why Tashard didnt take over MBIII caries early last year is beyond me...i think Jerry has something personal against the guy..maybe because he looked up to TO..whatever it is,if you ask me,Tashard should be our starter...EVERYTIME he touches the ball we get something positive...simple as that..Felix obviously wasnt the same last year and MBIII was done once San Diego stuffed him 4 times straight 2 seasons ago..

Ill admit..i am starting to get a little nervous about our safety issue..it seems as tho Jerry thinks its a non problem that will fix itself...he admitted his mistake when he said Alan Ball will move back to his 4th CB spot..yet he hasnt made the slightest move to get a safety..Im holding out hope that Rob Ryan can pull some strings and we land Michael Huff..even if we resign Gerald we get an immediate upgrade at the position..I like the way Scandrrick played last year and im expecting Mike to bounce back...IDK what to expect out of TNewman...

and last but certainly not least...i hope Rob Ryan can get some rproduction out of the bum that is Anthony Spencer...Spence had 4 friggin hot games two years ago and everyone sees that as untapped potential...i look at him and see a bum who cant capitalize being the strongside olb and getting single covered 100% of the time...

o and yea...im going to both Cowboys vs ******** games this year if any other NTers will be present we could meet nd go out or sumn..never been to Texas..

It's been far too long, lets get this thing goin.
pimp.gif

Who you guys see getting cut first? 

Back
Top Bottom