The Endangered Species in Rap: The Female MC

I was listening to Hot 97 for a minute on Sunday, and I caught the tail end of a preview of an upcoming segment on the disappearance of femalerappers....What's the explanation of this? Is there any female rapper out today who DOESN'T have to use sex or a provocative pose to get peopleinterested in their product? Is there any relevant female MC in today's market?

REAL rap is an endangered species.gangstarr,cnn,royce da 59,mobb deep....
will rappers like that ever come again?...

14562846melodyrcr724200ux8.jpg

She begs to differ....

Fact is, there's no female hip hop fans. I mean there's chics out there who are fans of songs that appeal to them(see: TI, LL, Plies, etc.) butthey're not supportin' females. And dudes ain't gonna support them so there's no market for them. And to be honest I don't want to hear afemale rap. I'm coo with Jean Grae, Missy to an extent.....that's about it. That chic Nikki Minaj can spit but like what dude is gonna buy that albumlol? Unless she's butt naked in the cd booklet? There's just no market for them. Just like there's currently no market for kidd rappers or 80 yearold rappers. I mean even Eve can't even get a release date. If you gonna make it as a female rapper you better offer up more than just rhyming like Missy.You better be able to sing, produce, write, etc.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Fact is, there's no female hip hop fans. I mean there's chics out there who are fans of songs that appeal to them(see: TI, LL, Plies, etc.) but they're not supportin' females. And dudes ain't gonna support them so there's no market for them. And to be honest I don't want to hear a female rap. I'm coo with Jean Grae, Missy to an extent.....that's about it. That chic Nikki Minaj can spit but like what dude is gonna buy that album lol? Unless she's butt naked in the cd booklet? There's just no market for them. Just like there's currently no market for kidd rappers or 80 year old rappers. I mean even Eve can't even get a release date. If you gonna make it as a female rapper you better offer up more than just rhyming like Missy. You better be able to sing, produce, write, etc.
^I beg to differ. No beef or anything, just a difference of opinion. Soulja Boy, Vic, dudes who made Whoop Rico, a couple more other kids.However, I say kids as in under 20. Do you mean like 14 y/o?

And Shawnna is easily the hardest female rapper. However, I'd much rather hear her rap about sex than rapping about shooting people. There are enough malerappers to rap about that. I'd rather hear Trina and Shawnna rap like the old Lil' Kim. I actually bought Notorious K.I.M. The $+%! talk was hot when Iwas 14. But gangster chicks seem so fake to me. And I swear Trina use to piss me off by not ALWAYS showing her butt in videos. That was her money maker. I knowshe been doing her thang but she should've exploited herself more. That's what these chicks need to do to survive. Sex sells. And I know I soundabsolutely terrible saying this stuff but I'm more or less being honest.

Discuss.

a lot of guys say there's nothing that a female could rap about that they'd want to hear. what is something that you guys would actually want to hearfrom a female rapper?

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Fact is, there's no female hip hop fans. I mean there's chics out there who are fans of songs that appeal to them(see: TI, LL, Plies, etc.) but they're not supportin' females. And dudes ain't gonna support them so there's no market for them. And to be honest I don't want to hear a female rap. I'm coo with Jean Grae, Missy to an extent.....that's about it. That chic Nikki Minaj can spit but like what dude is gonna buy that album lol? Unless she's butt naked in the cd booklet? There's just no market for them. Just like there's currently no market for kidd rappers or 80 year old rappers. I mean even Eve can't even get a release date. If you gonna make it as a female rapper you better offer up more than just rhyming like Missy. You better be able to sing, produce, write, etc.
^I beg to differ. No beef or anything, just a difference of opinion. Soulja Boy, Vic, dudes who made Whoop Rico, a couple more other kids. However, I say kids as in under 20. Do you mean like 14 y/o?

And Shawnna is easily the hardest female rapper. However, I'd much rather hear her rap about sex than rapping about shooting people. There are enough male rappers to rap about that. I'd rather hear Trina and Shawnna rap like the old Lil' Kim. I actually bought Notorious K.I.M. The $+%! talk was hot when I was 14. But gangster chicks seem so fake to me. And I swear Trina use to piss me off by not ALWAYS showing her butt in videos. That was her money maker. I know she been doing her thang but she should've exploited herself more. That's what these chicks need to do to survive. Sex sells. And I know I sound absolutely terrible saying this stuff but I'm more or less being honest.

Discuss.

Naw when I say kid rappers i'm talkin' about 13 or 14 year olds like Bow and Romeo were. That #%% won't sale now like it did back in '01.Shawna is nice I f with her music but she's another chic who raps about female #%% I can't relate to. There's more to rap about than just sex andviolence. And to be honest I don't really care what a chic raps about if its ill. Trina is garbage and most females are. Remy could spit, Jean Graecan...there's a handful out there but as a dude i'm just not interested.

Sex at one point sold records but I don't think it does anymore. You got chics gettin' butt naked literally and chics not selling records. I think whenyou do that you alienate the woman fanbase. Females are the main consumer and females ain't gonna cop no album with a chic got her legs spread open. At onepoint this would've sold but not in 2008. Labels gotta adapt to how they market these chics. Kim didn't have to get but naked to sell but she did andcats confused that for sex selling but it wasn't.

Heather B is definitely in my top 3 as far as female emcees. Her last album was brilliant!
I like to here what females have to say in order to try and understand their point of view on things.

Originally Posted by dreClark

14562846melodyrcr724200ux8.jpg

She begs to differ....

eh.....id say shes pretty much endangered/in danger as well.

and oh yea, Digga. and back when Ruff Ryders was poppin (pun not intended) Eve.

Man, i would love get slapped by Eve's paws.
devil.gif
devil.gif

Back
Top Bottom