The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

Alot of people I don't think realize but quite a few pole manufactures offer life time warranties. St. Croix does a pretty good one. Got kids fishing with you steps on a rod a breaks send it in. Accidentally slam the tip in the tail gate or door send it in. They usually have to be registered with in 30 days of purchase. But you buy a nice rod and your set.

Just in time for Christmas. Thinking about taking one more trip out before the New Year.

20201220_150510.jpg

20201220_150956.jpg

20201220_151008.jpg

What's up peeps.

Need help with a couple of poles and reels for rover fishing.

Went to Dicks and came out with this for a 9 y/o

and this for a 16 y/o

I was skeptical buying something so inexpensive, but the associate assured me those will work for river fishing and begginers ....

I need recommendations, suggestions and / or if these will work?

awesome rods...might need to switch the reels out though. Haven't had great luck with those... perfect for beginners though...

awesome rods...might need to switch the reels out though. Haven't had great luck with those... perfect for beginners though...
What's wrong with the reels? Wht reels should I swap them out with?

Also, wjat you guys recomment to complete the kit?

Line
Hooks
Bait
Box
Weight
Etc.

What's wrong with the reels? Wht reels should I swap them out with?

Also, wjat you guys recomment to complete the kit?

Line
Hooks
Bait
Box
Weight
Etc.

shakespeare makes decent reels. for whatever reason the 1s that come with the ugly stik messes up quickly. The rod should last you a lifetime though. i would wait till the reel that came with it craps out then replace it with a 30 or 40 dollar reel.

shakespeare makes decent reels. for whatever reason the 1s that come with the ugly stik messes up quickly. The rod should last you a lifetime though. i would wait till the reel that came with it craps out then replace it with a 30 or 40 dollar reel.
Thanks for the info bro.

Any suggestions on the rest?

I wouldn’t even want an expensive setup.

bank fishing is hard on gear.
i use fairly expensive gear. the rod i use the most is a loomis. it used to be paired with a shimano stella but that reel was not a good match for me since i don't tweak out and baby my gear. i use penn reels mostly now and i'll usually wait for a black friday sale or something.

anyway, i had some trashed gear that i gave to a maintenance man at work. he used duct tape/resin to fix a rod and serviced a super old reel to make it work. he used to catch small tilapia and put em in a baby food jar and use em for live bait at the harbor by my job. one day dude comes back with a huge trevally - around 15+ pounds. he caught a prize fish using trashed gear and some bait from a polluted river. he was a super nice and humble guy. couple years after trump took office, the dude got deported cause he was an illegal alien. we were all bummed to lose a fishing bro.

Man it sucks seeing people get deported. It’s always a laugh when they turn back up a couple months later though. :lol:

I always fish solo, I’m trying to round up some heads to go trout fishing though in the black hills. Streams never freeze so you can fish year round.

narrhegwpndbqiomcnpn.jpg

Not my pic but looks dope, I’ve never been trout fishing before. Figure I’d get an ultralight setup and some little rooster tails I might be able to get some.

Live bait always works the best , night crawlers for fresh water catches everything almost . But it’s also good to throw a “ned rig “

Theres soo many variables in fishing. Sometimes real bait works better than plastic, sometimes its the other way around. Depends what you're targeting too. Ive been fishing my entire life (blessed to live in the pnw with so much surrounding water) and til this day im still learning each and every time i go out.

For saltwater, a hi lo rig with shrimp or herring works best. Let it sink to the bottom, reel up the slack, and wait. Best thing about salt is that youll never know what you'll catch. Ive caught rockfish, surf perch, sharks, ratfish, starfish, and hell even crab using a hi lo rig.

HighLow.jpg

For freshwater, its a bit more complicated as certain fish have certain temperaments. You can use the same hi lo rig posted above with some worms and you'll almost always catch panfish. Bass is something im not gonna get into with there being soo much variables, im still learning this one myself but i will say a ned rig as iDon’tRead iDon’tRead mentioned is a killer setup.

5ea6f5532a2a6.image.jpg

Gotta make sure the plastic you're using is buoyant so it stays erect while on the bottom.

Yeah, those z man worms made for the Ned rig are tough too and last a long time.

I don’t really fish Ned rigs just because the pike are so aggressive where I fish I lose all my gear to them.

If you’re going for bass you can’t go wrong with a senko or Ned rig.

Man wth ... Im going to take my son and when we been there for 3 hours trying to figure out what we doing he is going to give and never want to come back.

My boy told me all Im going to catch from the shore in the river are catfish and that's if Im lucky. LoL ...

I jjust dont want to discourage my son.

Man wth ... Im going to take my son and when we been there for 3 hours trying to figure out what we doing he is going to give and never want to come back.

My boy told me all Im going to catch from the shore in the river are catfish and that's if Im lucky. LoL ...

What part of the country you from? Around my way.. rivers arent crackin unless its a salmon run.

What part of the country you from? Around my way.. rivers arent crackin unless its a salmon run.
Right now CT/MA border ... I have a few Dams but not sure if I can fish there. There's also the CT river and some lakes/ponds. But my house borders the CT river .. hence why I was thinking River.

No boat though. Might by one soon or at least a Kayak/Canoe to promote exercise on my boy.

Beginning fishing is always tough especially the young ones since the patience is more difficult .. but you’ll get there one day .. also https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/drop-shot-rig is good for learning knots

Right now CT/MA border ... I have a few Dams but not sure if I can fish there. There's also the CT river and some lakes/ponds. But my house borders the CT river .. hence why I was thinking River.

No boat though. Might by one soon or at least a Kayak/Canoe to promote exercise on my boy.

Not too knowledgeable on rivers outside wa state, but I'd suggest lakes/ponds as theres usually a variety of species. If theres trout in any of the lakes, a carolina rig with some powerbait works good.
Carolina-Rig-Setup-Guide-Infographic-1024x682.jpg

Winter fishing can be rough though, as the fish arent as active and usually deeper.

Check out 1rod1reelfishing yt channel. One of the bigger yt fishing channels and i wanna say hes also from ct. I do remember him fishing a dam and was bangin trout.

Last edited:
Thanks for looking out.

You need weights for fresh? I just see hooks and stuff.

Going to purchase it now.

Live bait better than fake joints?

Need to find out what to use for what too. LoL

There is some weights in that kit...live bait works better especially if your a beginner... nightcrawlers are always good bait. Id suggest trying to catch some small panfish with a bobber until y'all both get a good feel for the sport...single corn kernels always gets bites for bluegills and crappies....

Check out 1rod1reelfishing yt channel. One of the bigger yt fishing channels and i wanna say hes also from ct. I do remember him fishing a dam and was bangin trout.
yeah, i think he’s from that area. i was gonna suggest the same thing. dude is kinda irritating and so is that whole googan squad bunch but my kid likes to watch them and they’re def getting paid.

Back
Top Bottom