The Instacart thread

Let's get an Instacart and other delivery side hustle thread started.

I know alot of people are out of work right now or know someone, so this might be something you can utilize if you're unable to get unemployment. It's crazy easy money and you can easily rake in $1k+ a week depending on your area.

Instacart is basically a grocery delivery service where you shop for people and deliver the goods. Signing up is painless and the app is pretty simple to use. All you need is a cellphone and a car.

Here's my experience so far and some things I've learned over the few weeks I've been doing it. Note that I only do it a few days a week and about 4-5 batches a day.

Orders are known as "batches". Each batch youll receive a certain Payout which depends on the quantity, miles you have to drive and the tip the customer leaves. Some batches compile different customers who live close by so you can shop for 2 people at once which you get paid for both. You can tell how many customers are in a batch by the "full service order". The mileage from the store to the customers house is shown and the number of products with the total number of items. The most I've ever gotten for a batch was $60 and 23 items. Took me 1.5hrs to complete.

Tips.
-I go for high pay batches ($30+) with a mileage up to 10miles and ~20 items. $40+ batches up to 15miles, ~30 items.

-I'll take a look at the items before I accept a batch. It gives me an idea of the type of shopping experience it'll be.

-I move fast. I move fast when I'm grocery shopping on my own anyway, cause I hate being around shoppers. I'm a get in and get out type of shopper and times is money.

-You can message the customer back and forth through the app in case you need to. If an item is out of stock, I'll take a pic of something they may want to substitute if for etc. Some customers take advantage of that and request adding additional items to the list. The only thing with that is it doesn't increase your payout amount. I learned the hard way and now only limit a customer 3 items to add additional just to be "nice".

-I don't use the debit card instacart gives you. I'll use my phone (NFC) cause it's way more convenient.

Signed up for instacart, never got the card in the mail. Havent followed up on it, but might off the strength of your post.

Been doing ubereats during this pandemic, switched over from uberx. Averaging 1k a week with food delivery. Tips have been great.

Youre only getting paid for the mileage from the store to the customer, right? I know ubereats is like that but skipthedishes you get total mileage. Only downside is you have to "clock" in a shift and keep a $60 flow with skip.

Signed up for instacart, never got the card in the mail. Havent followed up on it, but might off the strength of your post.

Been doing ubereats during this pandemic, switched over from uberx. Averaging 1k a week with food delivery. Tips have been great.

Youre only getting paid for the mileage from the store to the customer, right? I know ubereats is like that but skipthedishes you get total mileage. Only downside is you have to "clock" in a shift and keep a $60 flow with skip.
You get paid by tips+ mileage+ order

You get paid by tips+ mileage+ order
I meant, is it only the mileage from say the grocery store to the persons home?

Say you drove 3miles to get to the grocery store, bought the stuff, then drove 7miles to drop it off. Are you getting paid for the 7miles from the store to the persons home, or the full 10mile roundtrip?

Cuz with ubereats you only get the 7miles, hut skipthedishes you get the roundtrip 10miles

I meant, is it only the mileage from say the grocery store to the persons home?

Say you drove 3miles to get to the grocery store, bought the stuff, then drove 7miles to drop it off. Are you getting paid for the 7miles from the store to the persons home, or the full 10mile roundtrip?

Cuz with ubereats you only get the 7miles, hut skipthedishes you get the roundtrip 10miles
Only the mileage from the store to the home.
Does skiptheDishes take out taxes on payout?

Only the mileage from the store to the home.
Does skiptheDishes take out taxes on payout?
Ive never done skipthedishes but i dont think they do.

Was talking to a skip driver while i was waiting on a pick up the other week and he said they get paid for the roundtrip.

So you only do about 20 "batches" and make 1k? Sounds like a easy side hustle.
Nah, I definitely don't make 1k off of 20 batches. But based on my earnings, you can make that amount. I'll average about $20-$25 an hour. Thats including the drive. So a 40hr+ week can get you to $1k. Also note that Instacart doesn't take out taxes.

Would be a cool side hustle if not for a global pandemic. Not trying to be around hundreds of people and items ATM.

Good for future reference though.

That guy that resells shoes from Marshalls has made a few videos about it. I'm thinking about doing just 1-2 orders a day but I can't mess with grocery stores after the morning... too many mouthbreathers.

Would be a cool side hustle if not for a global pandemic. Not trying to be around hundreds of people and items ATM.

I actually took a break from it once I saw the covid case numbers in my area. But recently the governor mandated everyone wear masks and the supermarkets are making it mandatory to enter the store, so I feel a little safer and I'm back at it.

Food deliveries bro. Lunch time getting about 40/hr

Screenshot_20200417-225612_Uber Driver.jpg

amazon flex is another one if they have it in your area

good option if you don’t want to deal with people too

Not knockin the hustle at all. Just stay safe. A lot of bozos out there.
They have an option now for leave it at the door, which most people use.

Although the other day i did get into an altercation with a huge *** raccoon that was between me and the door. :lol: ****ing thing nustve smelled the burrito, kept coming towards me. I was going behind a parked car on the street, had a stick in my hand :rofl: called dude to come outside and chucked the bag to him :rofl: if it aint da rona its got damn rabbis

Is that Uber eats? What's your area? City? 👀
Im in Toronto.

Ya ubereats. Its crazy right now, i switched over from uberx cuz of the pandemic. One of my boys says its usually not as popping as it is now, so im taking advantage of it.

They got surge in a lot of areas +$3,4,5,6 for every order, and you can get back to back to back pick ups. Some places have multiple pick ups at once. Then the tips. It used to be surge like 1.3x the price or whatever, that was better but still the surge is when you really start eating. I dont even accept pick ups that arent surge.

Ive learned some tricks. Mcdonalds sends the driver to the restaurant before the orders ready. I usually take my time going there so im not stuck waiting outside.

If i go to a restaurant and they tell me 10-15min wait, i cancel it and move on. Uber pays for the wait, but im of the belief you can make more in that 15min timeframe by taking another order or 2, especially during surge time.

After a certain hour only certain places are open...mcd, popeyes etc. I just post up in areas that have a number of those places. Just wait in the car til i get a pick up instead of wasting time and gas riding around.

Also, if i see a line at a pick up place i call the spot and tell em im there for an uber pick up and give the order #. I had 1 place tell me i had to wait in line, i said listen im gonna cancel, so is the next driver and the one after that because we arent waiting 10,15,20min in a line for food that isnt ours.

They brought it outside for me.

Im in Toronto.

Ya ubereats. Its crazy right now, i switched over from uberx cuz of the pandemic. One of my boys says its usually not as popping as it is now, so im taking advantage of it.

They got surge in a lot of areas +$3,4,5,6 for every order, and you can get back to back to back pick ups. Some places have multiple pick ups at once. Then the tips. It used to be surge like 1.3x the price or whatever, that was better but still the surge is when you really start eating. I dont even accept pick ups that arent surge.

Ive learned some tricks. Mcdonalds sends the driver to the restaurant before the orders ready. I usually take my time going there so im not stuck waiting outside.

If i go to a restaurant and they tell me 10-15min wait, i cancel it and move on. Uber pays for the wait, but im of the belief you can make more in that 15min timeframe by taking another order or 2, especially during surge time.

After a certain hour only certain places are open...mcd, popeyes etc. I just post up in areas that have a number of those places. Just wait in the car til i get a pick up instead of wasting time and gas riding around.
Good info. Ubereats may not be my thing since I'm in more of a suburban area but I'll look into it.

Not knockin the hustle at all. Just stay safe. A lot of bozos out there.
Over $10 earning per delivery? Most of my orders are around $15-30 before tips (for 2 meals). Those guys must be ordering a lot of food.

You wouldn’t get paid as much post pandemic. I did uber messenging a few years back and it kept getting lower and lower. Wasn’t worth my time and I’m a slowpoke too lol

Back
Top Bottom