'The Irishman' Confirmed: Scorsese Directing De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Keitel in 2011

I get what you mean but if he tackled a different ethnic crime group, it wouldn’t feel as organic and it would lack soul imo. Think of when white directors attempt to do a black story... more times than not, I’ve heard people from the black community condemn it.

Marty sticks to what he knows and it works. It feels real and authentic because he grew up surrounded by this environment. And this film is the least glamorous of his gangster films. A more realistic view of it and what the life entails if you make it to old age... Nothing. Time passes on, you’re friends and loved ones either have died or want nothing to do with you because of what the life you lived brought them. Those last 30 mins of the film was some of the best **** I’ve seen in awhile from American cinema.

Well put. The ending was sad for Frank. I agree with you actually. Had he tried doing something else he would lack that authentic experience that makes his films what they are. Point taken.

Well put. The ending was sad for Frank. I agree with you actually. Had he tried doing something else he would lack that authentic experience that makes his films what they are. Point taken.
Yeah, what we need is other ethnic directors and creatives behind the production of films in Hollywood. And to be given the chance to share stories that have their foundation based on reality. So their life experiences can be intertwined throughout their interpretation of a film narrative.

Hollywood has become more inclusive this past decade and we’ve seen great works of art because of that.

Coogler - Fruitvale Station
Jenkins - Moonlight
Cuarón - Roma

Hopefully that trend continues to grow.

And if you want a good Russian mob film like you previously posted, Eastern Promises. TML.

58CB5A2D-82F2-4B8A-94B4-313517807A44.gif

Film was dope, it was great to see Pacino going off, reminds me of his performance in the Devils Advocate, which was FLAMES...one of his best to me.

Just finished it. The end ran a little long for me, but overall I really enjoyed the movie. Probably my favorite movie of the year so far after End Game

Nah, I haven’t watched Joker yet (and I probably won’t this year) but that’s a good question you’re bringing up. :nerd:

As in we should all do a top 10 of the decade in the movie thread. :nerd:

Doubt you'll need Joker on your top 10 of 2019 list let alone top of the decade...

I'll get started it on my list rn though.

I enjoyed it as I enjoy any Scorsese film but his shtick is getting old to me.

The world he knew is gone mostly. The "ethnic white gangster" period piece has run its course for me. It's always the same three ethnicities too: Italians, Irish, and Ashkenazi Jews. Maybe I'd be more intrigued if he did a Russian mob film or something about radicalization of Muslims in prison. There's so many ways to come at the ethnic crime category of film. He's good at what he does. He mixes the white immigrant American experience with crime, politics, and weaves it into major historical events. Just wish he'd do something a bit different.
He does what he's comfortable with. His experimentation doesn't get that crazy or unexpected.

You have to accept this when he does a movie like Silence thats about white Jesuit priests missionaries basically getting tortured by the shogun and samurai in Japan for nearly 3 hours :lol:

Not every director even a great one is gonna have that range and flexibility to adapt what they do so well to another culture or society.

Back
Top Bottom