The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

Originally Posted by youngin33

Glad to see my Metsies bolster the pen which obviously killed us last season and the season before. Let's goooooooo
sick.gif

Don't ever call them METSIES again
indifferent.gif

Damn you Keith!!
mad.gif

yea, really? the Metsies?

roll.gif

[h1]Rosenthal's Latest: Yankees, Teixeira, Bradley,Furcal[/h1]
By Nat Boyle [December 14 at 12:08pm CST]

Ken Rosenthal has his latest articleup. Let's go through it.
  • Ken Rosenthal says the Yankees are aiming to keep their payroll lower than last season. Despite gorging this holiday season, they're shedding more than they're putting on.
  • With regards to Mark Teixeira, Rosenthal reports one general manager says there is a lot of bluffing going on right now to get the Red Sox to go higher.
  • Milton Bradley is weighing his options with the Cubs and Rays. Joe Maddon and the Rays may be a better fit than the Chicago media circus and Lou Pineilla. And spending time at DH would allow him to "protect his oft-injured body." But will the Rays meet Bradley's asking price when they can turn to Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, Garrett Anderson, or Pat Burrell instead?
  • Ty Wigginton has received calls from four teams since being non-tendered by the Astros. His replacement in Houston has yet to be established. Chris Johnson, the team's third base prospect, had a .539 OPS in Triple A last season.
  • Jerry Hairston is receiving interest from the Reds and three AL clubs, the Mariners likely being one of them. Says Rosenthal, "Hairston, 32, plays six positions and was a favorite of new M's manager Don Wakamatsu when both were with the Rangers."
  • The reason Rafael Furcal rejected the A's offer was that he wants to stay with the Dodgers, so says "one agent." Meanwhile the Dodgers appear to be daring Furcal to leave for a lesser club before making an offer.

The reason Rafael Furcal rejected the A's offer was that he wants to stay with the Dodgers, so says "one agent." Meanwhile the Dodgers appear to be daring Furcal to leave for a lesser club before making an offer.

mad.gif
mad.gif

Make it a three year deal and get it over with Colletti, both sides playing Russian Roulette on this one,
smh.gif
. I'm a Raffy fan, and he loves LA,
smokin.gif

Billy, just forget about Furcal if he doesn't want to come here. I'd love to have him, but not if he doesn't want to play here. Move on...

Source: Braves, Furcal agree

The Atlanta Braves have reached preliminary agreement on a multiyear contract with free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

The deal is pending completion of a physical exam.

The source said the agreement was finalized in a phone call from Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, to Atlanta general manager Frank Wren on Tuesday morning.

A club spokesman said an announcement has yet to be scheduled.

Foxsports.com first reported that Furcal and the Braves were close to a deal, reporting that it was believed to be for three years with a vesting option for a fourth season.

Signing Furcal could allow the Braves to move shortstop Yunel Escobar to second base or market him in a trade. Escobar had been part of discussions in a potential trade for San Diego Padres starter Jake Peavy.

Furcal spent the last three seasons with the Dodgers, but played in only 36 games last season due to back issues.

A career .286 hitter, Furcal, 31, has missed 150 games over the past two seasons but makes an impact when he does play. He batted .357, with a .439 on-base percentage, in 36 games for the Dodgers last season, after hitting .270 with 25 steals in 2007

If the 80 games that Furcal plays overlap with the 80 games that Chipper plays, our offense will be great...for those 80 games.
laugh.gif

We haven't had a true leadoff hitter since Furcal, so that's nice to have again. But I hope this only means that Escobar is moving to 2B, not thathe's about to be traded...
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

The Atlanta Braves have reached preliminary agreement on a multiyear contract with free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal, a baseball source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

The source said the agreement was finalized in a phone call from Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, to Atlanta general manager Frank Wren on Tuesday morning.

Foxsports.com first reported that Furcal and the Braves were close to a deal, reporting that it was believed to be for three years with a vesting option for a fourth season.

Signing Furcal could allow the Braves to move shortstop Yunel Escobar to second base or market him in a trade. Escobar had been part of discussions in a potential trade for San Diego Padres starter Jake Peavy.

Furcal spent the last three seasons with the Dodgers, but played in only 36 games last season due to back issues.

A career .286 hitter, Furcal, 31, has missed 150 games over the past two seasons but makes an impact when he does play. He batted .357, with a .439 on-base percentage, in 36 games for the Dodgers last season, after hitting .270 with 25 steals in 2007

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...YOU SHOULDVE AT LEAST SIGNED WITH THEA'S NOT THE BRAVES
mad.gif

I'm pretty bitter about this; Furcal must not think he can handle AL play for him to both take a smaller salary AND change positions.

Gutless.

Apparently he had no desire to play in Oakland... I haven't seen one report that Oakland was anything but a last resort for him from the get-go...
I'm pretty bitter about this; Furcal must not think he can handle AL play for him to both take a smaller salary AND change positions.

Gutless.
Yeah, taking less money to go somewhere and play that you'll be comfortable and happy for the next 3+ years is gutless...
eyes.gif

If anything, it's refreshing to see an athlete whose primary concern isn't finding every last dollar he possibly can and following it wherever it pullshim...

Yeah, it was clear he didn't want to play in Oakland. I'd kind of like to know why though, just curious
laugh.gif
. I really wanted him but whatever, we haveto move on. I hope the Braves are still looking to trade Escobar, even though there saying there not.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

23m6b82.jpg

71gpcuq.jpg

Yeah, that is the reason,
eyes.gif

It was only the Braves and Dodgers from the jump with Furcal, I guess the Braves gave him the extra years he wanted,
mad.gif
. I wouldn't doubt if they make another push for Peavy, now including Escobarin the deal.

Damn, this sucks, De Jesus better live up to the hype.....in 2010,
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Apparently he had no desire to play in Oakland... I haven't seen one report that Oakland was anything but a last resort for him from the get-go...

Gutless.
Yeah, taking less money to go somewhere and play that you'll be comfortable and happy for the next 3+ years is gutless...
eyes.gif

If anything, it's refreshing to see an athlete whose primary concern isn't finding every last dollar he possibly can and following it wherever it pulls him...
If you hadn't seen one report that had Oakland in the front running to sign Furcal, then you just weren't looking. Many, many writers hadhim heading to Oakland, but when you're using a team as leverage to get somewhere else I'm sure it'll always seem that way.

What I don't like is how desperate he was to go anywhere but Oakland. It may be refreshing for you to see a player"whose primary concern isn't finding every last dollar," but that certainly doesn't apply to Furcal, who tugged on Oakland's chain for abigger contract and strung out this decision for as long as possible. Is that refreshing for you, too?

Now, he moves from his natural position o second base so he can be in a familiar setting and not worry about facing the other league, concerned withmaintaining his level of play. Good for him, now Oakland can focus it's efforts on another starting pitcher and hopefully pulling together anotherblockbuster trade.

EDIT: I'll take back gutless, you're right, that isn't fair. Now that I've vented I realize it wasn't proper. Apologies
frown.gif

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
at Furcal back in Atlanta...

But what is Atlanta going to do with Yunel Escobar?

IMO Escobar has the highest ceiling out of any SS in the NL East.. Yes he's that nice..

Moving him to 2nd base would pretty much be pointless..

If atlanta is able to get Jake Peavy in a trade for Escobar.. I'd see the reasoning.. Anything other than that is not a good look..

I'm sorry i'd take Escobar over Furcal at this point in their careers... maybe Furcal can move to 2nd?
pimp.gif

The Braves offered 3 yrs the A's offered him 4. Braves 3 years 30 million, A's 4 years 40 million.

Furcal mentioned that he didn't want to sign with the A's and told his agent to find another deal which led to the Braves.

I don't know what to think about this deal Furcal is good but Escobar is better IMO so if the Braves do decide to keep Kelly and Escobar they will putKelly back to LF and Furcal to play 2b. Braves have said they don't want to trade either player and i wish they don't trade Escobar but i heard thatthey might trade him to get Peavy.

edit* if the Braves decide to trade Escobar it would have to be for Peavy and not another sp.

did the Dodgers even offer Furcal a contract?

If you hadn't seen one report that had Oakland in the front running to sign Furcal, then you just weren't looking. Many, many writers had him heading to Oakland, but when you're using a team as leverage to get somewhere else I'm sure it'll always seem that way.

What I don't like is how desperate he was to go anywhere but Oakland. It may be refreshing for you to see a player "whose primary concern isn't finding every last dollar," but that certainly doesn't apply to Furcal, who tugged on Oakland's chain for a bigger contract and strung out this decision for as long as possible. Is that refreshing for you, too?
The only reason anybody had him going to Oakland was because they offered the most money... Find one report that ever even hinted Furcal himselfhad the slightest bit of interest in signing with Oakland, and you'd have a point...

And he didn't tug at anyone's chains... He turned Oakland's initial offer down over a week ago and it was reported then that he had no desire toplay in Oakland... They should have moved on then. Not his fault Billy Beane decided to come back and throw more money annually and then another team finallyoffered him 3 guaranteed years with a vesting option for a 4th...

He didn't string anybody along... Even suggesting that is ridiculous...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

If you hadn't seen one report that had Oakland in the front running to sign Furcal, then you just weren't looking. Many, many writers had him heading to Oakland, but when you're using a team as leverage to get somewhere else I'm sure it'll always seem that way.

What I don't like is how desperate he was to go anywhere but Oakland. It may be refreshing for you to see a player "whose primary concern isn't finding every last dollar," but that certainly doesn't apply to Furcal, who tugged on Oakland's chain for a bigger contract and strung out this decision for as long as possible. Is that refreshing for you, too?
The only reason anybody had him going to Oakland was because they offered the most money... Find one report that ever even hinted Furcal himself had the slightest bit of interest in signing with Oakland, and you'd have a point...

And he didn't tug at anyone's chains... He turned Oakland's initial offer down over a week ago and it was reported then that he had no desire to play in Oakland... They should have moved on then. Not his fault Billy Beane decided to come back and throw more money annually and then another team finally offered him 3 guaranteed years with a vesting option for a 4th...

He didn't string anybody along... Even suggesting that is ridiculous...
Alright, that is a valid point, I'll agree with that, although I think there's more to those writers claims that he'd be heading toOakland besides that they offered the most.

Not directed at anyone in particular, but what was the point in even entertaining offers from Oakland if he had no desire to play there?

...unless it was because he was creating a market for himself.

(Duh!)

ohwell.gif
Great.

The Braves apparently plan to use Furcal at second base, thereby keeping Yunel Escobar at shortstop. Incumbent second baseman Kelly Johnson would move to leftfield, but he could also be a candidate to be traded.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

GotHolesInMySocks:
looks like Tex is headed to Baltimore and Manny is headed to Anaheim
Source, please.

Pretty please.

As in... WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED A SOURCE YET?!

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

GotHolesInMySocks:
looks like Tex is headed to Baltimore and Manny is headed to Anaheim
Source, please.

Pretty please.

As in... WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED A SOURCE YET?!

http://www.mlbtraderumors...8/12/manny-ramirez-3.html
That's about the only source I got and it doesn't say much
laugh.gif
. I don't think there are any real Manny to Anahiem rumors. Just speculation frompeople.

Well Mike Sciosca called Terry Francona to ask how is it to have Manny on his team, I wanna hear that convo soooooo bad
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom