The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Boston with an 8 year offer to Teixeira
eek.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

GotHolesInMySocks:
looks like Tex is headed to Baltimore and Manny is headed to Anaheim
Source, please.

Pretty please.

As in... WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED A SOURCE YET?!

look it up for yaself...

espn was reporting it....could care less if anyone believes me or not

Originally Posted by thetruth03

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
at Furcal back in Atlanta...

But what is Atlanta going to do with Yunel Escobar?

IMO Escobar has the highest ceiling out of any SS in the NL East.. Yes he's that nice..

Moving him to 2nd base would pretty much be pointless..

If atlanta is able to get Jake Peavy in a trade for Escobar.. I'd see the reasoning.. Anything other than that is not a good look..

I'm sorry i'd take Escobar over Furcal at this point in their careers... maybe Furcal can move to 2nd?
pimp.gif
whooaaaaaa!!! u prolly forgot hanley is in the same division..

anyway, they are reporting that he has not signed with atlanta yet and that his agent and the dodgers are still negotiatin

Sources: Furcal eyes Braves, Dodgers

The courting of free agent
Rafael Furcal has turned into something of a circus, with many twists and turns -- and the way it's playing out, somebody is going to be irked.

On Monday afternoon, officials involved in Furcal's negotiations were convinced that the Oakland Athletics, with an offer of four years and $38 million, were the front-runner to sign the shortstop.

Wrong.

Late Monday night, club executives engaged in talks with Furcal's representatives were informed that Furcal was on the verge of a deal with the Atlanta Braves, at three years and $30 million, and a vesting option for the fourth year based on Furcal playing 132 games in the third year of the contract.

Wrong.

Now sources are saying that the Los Angeles Dodgers have re-engaged in negotiations with Furcal, and as of Tuesday afternoon were working to bring back the shortstop.

Where it stops, nobody knows.

Earlier in the day Tuesday, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Furcal had reached preliminary agreement with Atlanta pending completion of a physical exam.

As the day progressed, agent Paul Kinzer stated publicly that Furcal had yet to commit to the Braves, where he spent his first six major league seasons. Atlanta general manager Frank Wren didn't respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

"The Braves are definitely in the lead right now,'' Kinzer said. "That's what I told them last night -- 'right now, he's leaning toward you guys.' But I wanted Raffy to sleep on it so we could talk about it again today. I didn't want him to make an emotional decision, because he was so excited about coming [to Atlanta].
"It's not done until we sign off and there's a physical exam, and we haven't gotten that far. Until a letter of agreement is signed, we don't even start the process to get him to Atlanta for a physical.'' Furcal is still in the Dominican Republic, and Kinzer planned to fly to New York later Tuesday for a Wednesday news conference that will introduce another one of his clients, New York Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez, to the New York media. Since the winter meetings ended in Las Vegas last week, the shortstop's options had been becoming narrower by the day. The Toronto Blue Jays and Kansas City Royals dropped out of the running for Furcal, and Kinzer said Tuesday morning that Oakland was no longer in contention. He said the Dodgers and the Braves are the only candidates left in the race.
"I still haven't talked to the Dodgers,'' Kinzer said Tuesday afternoon. "I'll let them know in person if [Furcal] makes a decision.''
That was before sources told ESPN The Magazine that the Dodgers' negotiations with Furcal were gaining momentum later in the day Tuesday. The two sides had talked as recently as 7 p.m. ET. Kinzer confirmed that the Braves have talked to Furcal about the possibility of shifting from shortstop to second base, a move that could result in the shift of second baseman Kelly Johnson to left field. Yunel Escobar, Atlanta's starting shortstop in 2008, had been mentioned recently as a candidate to be dealt to San Diego in a package trade for pitcher Jake Peavy.
Furcal spent the past three seasons with the Dodgers, but played in only 36 games last season due to back issues.
A career .286 hitter, Furcal, 31, has missed 150 games over the past two seasons but makes an impact when he does play. He batted .357, with a .439 on-base percentage, in 36 games for the Dodgers last season, after hitting .270 with 25 steals in 2007.

WEEI 850AM Sports Radio
[table][tr][td]Posted: Wednesday, 17 December 2008 11:08AM

Why Boston Might Be Best

[/td] [/tr][tr][td]I often hear media members and sports 'experts' this time of year discussing the 'details' on free agents. Everything from 'close friend says' to 'his choice is to live in' and I wonder just how much you believe, and what you think they really know.

I spent almost 10 years with a total no-trade clause due to the fact that I was a 'his choice is to live in' guy. I can speak from the experience of my situation, as well as what I learned from discussions with many players about this very thing.

The first piece to the decision-making process for me was upbringing. I grew up in a lower middle-class suburban neighborhood, and that had a huge impact on where I lived once I played and had the money to make that choice. I despise big-city living, can't stand it, and that was the reason behind living 40 minutes outside the city for almost a decade in Philly, 30 or so minutes away from Bank One in Arizona and about 45 minutes from Fenway when playing in Boston.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing in that big-city, huge-expectations environment; I just couldn't stand living in it.

You hear many things about Mark Teixeira and his 'wants,' 'needs' and 'desires.' I only know Mark from competing against him but I would make a few arguments on the premise that he won't sign for top dollar just because it's top dollar. He doesn't have to unless someone steps in and beats the #2 offer by 20-30 or 40 million total dollars (which in this day and age is not out of the question).

I would think, based on what I hear, that his incredibly positive experience in Anaheim gives the Angels a very nice inroad if they field a competitive offer (which I hear they did in fact make). I don't know if he's a big city guy or a small town guy but Anaheim is a place to get both and be a part of a very good organization run by good people.

I understand Mark is from the DC/Baltimore area and can speak first-hand to the allure of that place. I'm talking Baltimore though. Fantastic city, great fans and you have your pick of big city apartment or house in horse country. Not sure D.C. offers that second option or whether or not that matters, but I know going back to Arizona felt like 'coming home' and that was a huge draw for me.

Boston obviously appears to be as interested, if not more so, than anyone. Boston does in fact offer that big city living space, or the small town suburbia home depending on what he and his family are after.

The trump card though, for me anyway, is that Boston offers something far beyond what any team or city can hope to bring to the table. It's a new age here, there are completely different expectations each year for the Red Sox, and from Sox Nation. I can't imagine not having experienced this city, the fans, the ballpark, as a hometown player prior to my last year (if this is fact my last one).

Think Packer football, Cowboy football, Yankee baseball, Penn State football, 'Bama football, all rolled into one.

Boston has become a sports mecca in a way. The Pats are the class of the NFL, the Bruins are the best team in the NHL, the Celts are defending World Champs and the Sox have created a new breed of sports fan. Gone are the loveable losers; now it's about winning it all, all the time. It's a 162-game football season with 19 Super Bowls (games vs. Yanks) thrown in. It's the topic of conversation every day of every week of every month.

But there's also the feeling that not so long ago it was different. I am not so sure we handled that first title in '04 with the class we would have liked and it's also very clear that the nation has taken a very keen interest in hating everything Boston these days. It's a smidgen of a taste of what Yankee fans endured in the late '90s. People hate winners. It's weird but true. The Sox went from the bandwagon of all bandwagons to social lepers in sports circles. Everyone loves to hate anyone who is on top for a lengthy period of time and this city is on top right now.

But to suit up in this uniform, take the field as a member of this team and play for these fans, there's nothing like it in my 23 years of professional baseball to compare it to. Nothing. Whether I come back or not, part of me will always be tied to this franchise and that roster of 25 guys that believed when no one else did or would.

When CHB called us 'Frauds' we busted our %!*++ to not retort and validate anything about him, but we didn't need a sportswriter to tell us what we woke up and knew every single day. Until a ring was won here it wouldn't matter how many HR's you hit, games you won, MVP's, Cy's, nothing. Until you won the ring you were just like all the rest. Loveable? Maybe. But no different in the end.

That happened, and when it did this city changed, these fans changed and Fenway Park became a place I wish any player the thrill of playing in as a hometown player. No dollar amount or contract length can replace the things that happen in front of those fans on that field.

If the dollars end up comparable, I can't imagine spending eight years in a more enjoyable, passionate and winning environment than what has been created here.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

Well Mike Sciosca called Terry Francona to ask how is it to have Manny on his team, I wanna hear that convo soooooo bad
laugh.gif

I do too.
laugh.gif

Francona is extremely protective of his players to the media, but I wonder if he put it all out there for Scioscia.

Sources: Teixeira to Orioles unlikely

By Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine

Unless free agent Mark Teixeira is willing to give the Orioles a major hometown discount, it does not appear he will be playing in Baltimore.

The Orioles have stood by their initial offer and have not upgraded it, and sources say that the other teams involved in the bidding -- the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Angels and Washington Nationals -- have gone beyond Baltimore's proposal for the slugging first baseman.

Teixeira, 28, is considered one of the top unsigned free agents. He batted .308 with 33 home runs, 121 RBIs and a .552 slugging percentage for the Angels and Atlanta Braves last season.

The only way the Orioles can be considered a serious player for Teixeira now, sources say, would be if the Maryland native were to take their offer, which is believed to be for seven years and about $150 million.

"The Orioles are out of it, unless Teixeira really, really wants to play there," said one source.

According to MLB.com, the Nationals' offer stands at $160 million for eight years. During last week's winter meetings in Las Vegas, the Angels made an eight-year pitch to Teixeira's camp.

The New York Yankees, meanwhile, came into the offseason focused on upgrading their pitching, and have spent $243 million on CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett. But they are not seriously engaged in the Teixeira talks at this point. According to a source close to the negotiations, the Yankees have not taken the step that the Red Sox, Angels, Nationals and Orioles have taken -- the Yankees have not even made an offer on the first baseman.

Although the Red Sox are considered among the front-runners for Teixeira, they won't offer him a 10-year deal, principal owner John Henry said, according to the Boston Herald.

Asked if the Red Sox would rule out offering a free agent a guaranteed contract longer than any other in franchise history, Henry, without naming names, made it clear that won't happen, according to the Herald.

"Yes," Henry responded in an e-mail, according to the Herald. "The Red Sox effectively had a 10-year deal with a player determined not to live up to his contract. A lot can change over 10 years, for both sides."

Manny Ramirez, who had an eight-year contract with the Red Sox with two one-year team options, effectively forced a trade out of Boston last summer. He wound up having two highly productive months with the Dodgers and helped Los Angeles reach the playoffs.

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

Originally Posted by thetruth03

smokin.gif
smokin.gif
at Furcal back in Atlanta...

But what is Atlanta going to do with Yunel Escobar?

IMO Escobar has the highest ceiling out of any SS in the NL East.. Yes he's that nice..

Moving him to 2nd base would pretty much be pointless..

If atlanta is able to get Jake Peavy in a trade for Escobar.. I'd see the reasoning.. Anything other than that is not a good look..

I'm sorry i'd take Escobar over Furcal at this point in their careers... maybe Furcal can move to 2nd?
pimp.gif
whooaaaaaa!!! u prolly forgot hanley is in the same division..

anyway, they are reporting that he has not signed with atlanta yet and that his agent and the dodgers are still negotiatin

Escobar is going to be good, no question. But highest ceiling? You are trippin homie. Right now, he is the WORST starting shortstop in the NL East, and even ifhe reached his potential, he would be LUCKY to be close to the caliber of NL East shortstops.

Jose Reyes>>>>Escobar
Jimmy Rollins>>>>Escobar
Hanley Ramirez>>>>Escobar
Christian Guzman>>>>Escobar (at least right now)

Like I said earlier, even if he reaches his ceiling, you really think he will be as good as Hanley, Jose or Jimmy? The answer is no. He might be able to passChristian.

Furcal bout to stab all ATL fans in the heart.

& if he where to go to ATL he ain't moving to 2B, he has too much pride to go to second.

Furcal is not the same player he once was remember his playoff game he made 3 errors that cost the Dodgers the game. Plus he has a bad back.

Furcal's range isn't the same anymore so if he were to sign with the Braves Escobar is the better SS than Furcal because Escobar has range and cannonarm.

Escobar is not better than Rollins, Reyes, Ramirez in, but he IS better than Guzman. Escobar is in the division with the best SS.

I'm sorry man, Raffy hasn't lost a step in his range.

You have to realize those playoff games were like his minor league rehab, dude had no where to work out the kinks, he got thrown in the fire and thats whathappened.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

You have to realize those playoff games were like his minor league rehab, dude had no where to work out the kinks, he got thrown in the fire and thats what happened.

as much as i'm pissed since now I remember the 3 error game
mad.gif

It's true. he came back for the FINAL week of the season and was immediately thrown into the thick of october with nowhere to shake the cobwebs

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

Escobar is not better than Rollins, Reyes, Ramirez in, but he IS better than Guzman. Escobar is in the division with the best SS.
not last yr. Guzman was a HITTING MACHINE last year and i expect that to continue.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

You have to realize those playoff games were like his minor league rehab, dude had no where to work out the kinks, he got thrown in the fire and thats what happened.
I was just about to say the same thing bro.

He has not lost a step, those were just errors, plain and simple... Just ended up being costly because it happened inthe NLCS.

Well Rafael Furcal has agreed to re-join the Dodgers i think he wanted to be a SS and the Braves weren't going to let him play SS he would've played2B.

I've seen Furcal in his Braves days and he was much skinnier/faster i think he's lost a step at SS still has a cannon arm though.

Braves still need a LF, 2 SP who knows who they get.

Hey Fr3sh have you heard anything about who the Braves are going after? Anything with Peavy or Lowe?

If Furcal came back to the Braves that means the org would have to move him to 2B and move Kelly Johnson to LF. But I agree with Fr3sh, Furcal just lost alittle bit at SS though.

Now with Peavy though, the Braves said they wouldn't seek to go after him again until the Padres act first with negotiations. If that actually happens,Yunel would have to be involved in some kind of deal. As of now I think Frank Wren is looking at mid-level FA pitchers in Oliver Perez and Randy Wolf.

Originally Posted by MFr3shM

No hes not. Not yet.

[h4]Agent: Peavy would probably OK deal to Red Sox[/h4]The Red Sox have "some" interest in Jake Peavy, but as of a few days ago the teams had not entertained any substantive trade talks as Padres GM Kevin Towers knew that Boston was not on Peavy's wish list. But now that talks with Atlanta and the Cubs have broken down, Towers needs a new team to deal with and the 27-year-old Peavy, according to his agent, Barry Axelrod, probably would OK a deal to Boston. -- Boston Globe

http://
[h4]Dodgers Andruw Jones to Bronx?[/h4]
Here comes a more radical deal: Hideki Matsui to the Dodgers for Andruw Jones. Why would the Dodgers do that? Well, anything that gets Jones out the door would be beneficial. He wasn't just bad. He was historically awful last season. In Matt Kemp, the Dodgers have the player who already was playing center for them late last season. Matsui is a favorite of Los Angeles manager Joe Torre. On his bad knees, he could not play every day in left. But the Dodgers still have the atrocious contract of Juan Pierre around (he is owed $28.5 million the next three years). Pierre could pinch-run or play defense late in left field for Matsui, plus start 2-3 times a week. If the Dodgers are going to lose Ramirez, Matsui could at least begin to make up for some of the lost offense. Why would the Yankees do that? Right now they are considering playing Gardner or trading for Cameron. If right, Jones offers a lot of the same elements as Cameron: power and strong defense in exchange for too many strikeouts. -- NY Post

[h4]Red Sox won't alter tack for Mark Teixeira[/h4]
Even this late in the process, there's very little certainty regarding the negotiations for Mark Teixeira. The free agent's final destination is unknown, and so, for that matter, is the timing of the endgame. One major league executive, asked yesterday to estimate when the talks might reach a resolution, quipped: "Toss a dart at any date between now and Christmas." Some believe that the decision is already in the hands of Teixeira and his family; others think agent Scott Boras may still solicit better offers. It's unlikely the Red Sox [team stats] would be drawn into any additional bidding, however, since that would go against both their history and philosophy. Since Theo Epstein was named general manager after the 2002 season, the club has taken a decidedly rational, unemotional approach to contract negotiations. -- Boston Herald

[h4]Vizquel, Eckstein and Grudz on Padres radar[/h4]
Veteran middle infielders Omar Vizquel, David Eckstein and Mark Grudzielanek are on the Padres' radar to varying degrees, General Manager Kevin Towers said Wednesday, but it's still early. "We've got to keep our options open, and we certainly need middle infield help," Towers said. "We provide opportunity, but to be financially aggressive on players right now, we can't do it. Our hope is that the later we get in free-agent season, there will still be inventory out there and people who need jobs." -- San Diego Union-Tribune

[h4]BoSox consider Smoltz and Penny?[/h4]
There's also the fifth starter role, where the Red Sox have done their due diligence examining the medical records of John Smoltz and Brad Penny after they studied and passed on A.J. Burnett and Kerry Wood. --Boston Globe

[h4]Twins still want Cubs DeRosa?[/h4]
Minnesota hasn't lost its appetite for Mark DeRosa but the Cubs would only consider moving him if they got a package of solid prospects, like outfielder Ben Rivere and pitchers Jose Mijares, Jeff Manship and Andy Swarzak. Even then, it's hard to picture Jim Hendry pulling the trigger. -- Chicago Tribune

[h4]Mets Maine upset with Phillies Cole Hamels?[/h4]
John Maine has a message for the Phillies: Shut up already! The Mets pitcher fired back at the mouthy world champions yesterday, saying he remains puzzled by the barrage of critical comments coming from Cole Hamels and other Phillies in recent weeks. "I don't really care, but I just don't get it," Maine said. "At the end of the year, they won the World Series. Congratulations! Let's focus on the things they accomplished. Don't worry about what's going on up in New York. I mean, I don't get it." Maine was responding mainly to Hamels, the World Series MVP who last week declared the Mets "choke artists" in an interview with WFAN for their ugly collapses each of the past two Septembers. -- NY Post

[h4]Hank Steinbrenner wants Manny in Bronx?[/h4]
The Yankees continue to monitor the market for Manny Ramirez, but teams are unlikely to begin making offers to the free agent until Mark Teixeira - a fellow Scott Boras client - signs. The Red Sox, Angels and Nationals appear to be the finalists for the first baseman, who is expected to get eight years and approximately $160 million. Hank Steinbrenner is among a group of high-ranking front office officials believed to be pushing to sign Ramirez, according to a source, while Hal Steinbrenner is in the middle. Cashman and Joe Girardi are not sold on adding a player with Ramirez's baggage, the source said, but the Yankees might not be able to resist a player of his talent if the price is right. -- NY Daily News

[h4]Brewers eye Fuentes and Cabrera[/h4]
Brewers GM Doug Melvin has expressed some interest in free-agent closer Brian Fuentes, but he expected no major moves on the personnel front in the immediate future. Right-hander Daniel Cabrera, who was not tendered a 2009 contract by Baltimore, has piqued Melvin's interest somewhat. "We'll just wait and pursue what we can," said Melvin. "We'd like to have some pitching, but you've got to be careful." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

[h4]Phillies' Rollins likely to play in World Baseball Classic[/h4]
Derek Jeter has already been penciled in as the starting shortstop on the United States' entry into this spring's World Baseball Classic. But it's looking as if the Yankees star will have a familiar face backing him up. Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who was left off the 2006 team in favor of Alex Rodriguez, appears likely to make the squad managed by former Mets skipper Davey Johnson. Phillies Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt, who will coach third base for the U.S., said yesterday that Rollins was on the squad, although Rollins indicated his inclusion was not yet definite. "Well, I have to make the final cut," Rollins said last night following his appearance on HBO's "Costas Now." "I was in this position the last time and Mr. Rodriguez pretty much did it for me. Mr. All-World. It's pretty tough to compete against a guy like that." -- Philadelphia Daily News

[h4]Rays free agent Rocco Baldelli says new diagnosis should help him play more regularly[/h4]
A new diagnosis of a less severe and treatable condition has given free agent outfielder Rocco Baldelli confidence he could soon return to playing "much more" regularly. Baldelli missed most of last season, was limited after his August return to the Rays and faced an uncertain future due to extreme muscle fatigue that was eventually diagnosed as a mitochondrial disorder. But doctors at the Cleveland Clinic have since reviewed more sophisticated testing that indicates his condition is a channelopathy, and with an increased dosage of medicine he is currently using with good results, Baldelli is optimistic about his health and his baseball career. "It's definitely an encouraging development," Baldelli said Wednesday from his Rhode Island home. "Knowing this is a treatable condition, I feel this is a very positive thing for me and my baseball career. With this less severe diagnosis, I hope to be on the field on a much more regular basis." A half-dozen others have expressed interest, including the Red Sox, Yankees, Reds and Phillies. -- St. Petersburg Times

[h4]Braves won't deal with Furcal's agent anymore?[/h4]
Agent Paul Kinzer acknowledged he told the Braves on Monday night they were the favorites to land his client but denied a deal was in place. The Braves evidently thought otherwise. "I do know we reached an agreement with Rafael's representative on Monday night," Braves General Manager Frank Wren said in an interview with WIFN-FM in Macon, Ga. Wren said he faxed Kinzer a term sheet at Kinzer's request. "It was bound from our side," Wren said. "We had signed it." But Kinzer told The Times on Tuesday he wanted to give the Dodgers a final chance to re-sign Furcal, something of which Wren said he was unaware. The Dodgers improved their offer and Wren said that on Tuesday night, he received a call from Kinzer asking him if the Braves would improve theirs. Wren said they wouldn't. "We had an agreement," Wren said he told Kinzer. When WIFN talk show host Bill Shanks prefaced a question by saying that he knew Wren couldn't burn bridges with Kinzer and Tellem, Wren interjected, "That bridge is gone. I don't have to worry about burning it. The bridge is gone." Kinzer's credibility became a question even for the Dodgers. According to team sources, Colletti was unsure of what to make of the apparent progress he was making in the negotiations. -- LA Times

[h4]Cameron likely to stay with Brewers[/h4]
Brewers GM Doug Melvin said the primary motive in looking to trade Mike Cameron was to gain some financial flexibility to shop for pitching help. But Melvin said that didn't mean he'd look for another suitor for Cameron. "I'm not necessarily shopping him," said Melvin. "The Yankees had expressed interest. The only reason to do it was to regain some flexibility to pursue pitching. But the good pitching is drying up anyway. "I'm very happy to have Mike Cameron as our centerfielder. He was very productive for us last season. He's a good player, a team player. There's a reason why he's in the playoffs all the time. I'm very fond of him." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

[h4]Source: Yanks not chatting with Manny's agent[/h4]
The possibility that Manny Ramirez becomes a Yankee isn't out of the question. But in order for it to happen, a whole lot of talking has to go on between the club and agent Scott Boras. "It's not impossible, but there haven't been a lot of discussions," a source said. "Right now they aren't talking." -- NY Post

[h4]Halos Teixeira wants to stay on the East Coast?[/h4]
One of the GMs indicated that to his knowledge Mark Teixeira "wants to stay on the East Coast," where his family prefers to live, which means the Angels might need a miracle and/or the best offer to keep him. -- Boston Globe

[h4]Mets manager wants Oliver Perez back?[/h4]
GM Omar Minaya doesn't know which free-agent starting pitcher the Mets will sign, but manager Jerry Manuel today made it clear he would like to have Oliver Perez back in orange and blue. "I like Oliver Perez," Manuel told reporters at the press conference introducing Francisco Rodriguez. "I think Perez is a guy that matured in our presence. I think he showed some consistency. I like the fact that when things got tough, he was very good for us. From a manager's point of view, I would like to have Oliver Perez back. Whether that's economically possible or not - that's not my department." -- NY Post

[h4]Red Sox could be stuck with Lowell?[/h4]
If and when the Red Sox do obtain Mark Teixeira, the next hard part would be dealing with the Mike Lowell fallout. The Red Sox would likely spin Lowell to another team once the classy third baseman starts showing he's healthy in spring training, but the awkward nature of the situation is troubling. Lowell has two years remaining on his deal for $24 million. The late date in which he would be traded (March) is not a time when teams have a lot of money to spend, so it would appear Boston would have to eat some of it. Or they could persuade Lowell to stay and work into a rotation, especially if they feel David Ortiz's wrist isn't 100 percent. -- Boston Globe

[h4]Source: No offers from Yanks to Manny, Teixeira[/h4]
Despite speculation to the contrary, the Yankees are not "all in" on Manny Ramirez or Mark Teixeira. The Yankees have not ruled out adding Ramirez or Teixeira, but they have yet to make an offer to either slugger. In fact, one person familiar with the Yankees' thinking said the baseball operations people have not even discussed Ramirez at any length. They have talked about Teixeira, but he might be too costly after adding CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett. "We're monitoring the situation, but we have not made an offer," a team source said. "We may not make an offer. If the money gets too rich, then we won't." -- Newsday

[h4]http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/12/18/red_sox_youkilis_talk_deal/]Red Sox, Youkilis talk deal[/url][/h4]
The Red Sox and infielder Kevin Youkilis have taken initial steps toward a possible long-term contract extension, said Joe Bick, the agent who represents Youkilis. "We've had some what I would term early-stage conversations," Bick said. "That's really where it is. To predict which way it's going to go at this point in time would be pretty tough to do." Youkilis, Bick said, would be comfortable repeating what he did last offseason: avoid arbitration and sign a one-year contract. Youkilis, who will turn 30 in March, has a little more than four years of major league service time, meaning he will be able to file for free agency for the first time after the 2010 season. -- Boston Globe

[h4]http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/12/a-move-to-regre.html]Cubs interested in pitcher from Taiwan?[/url][/h4]
The Cubs are rumored to have an interest in Fu-Te Ni, a left-handed pitcher who became a free agent when his Taiwan team, the Chinabank Whales, disbanded. Seattle, Minnesota, Detroit and Atlanta are listed as other possible suitors for Ni, who would have to prove himself in the minor leagues. -- Chicago Tribuine

[h4]http://www.nypost.com/seven/12182008/sports/yankees/little_manny_chatter_144713.htm]Jeter: A-Rod hasn't said with he picked Dominican team[/url][/h4]
Derek Jeter went on XM Radio yesterday and was asked about Alex Rodriguez playing for the Dominican Republic during the World Baseball Classic. "Everyone doesn't have that option. I know it was tough for him the first time around making that decision and I'm sure it was tough this time around, too," he said. "I don't think he's addressed his reasons for it so we'll let him do that first, but it's a good spot for him to be in." -- NY Post

[h4]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/sports/baseball/18mets.html?ref=sports]Mets monitor Wolf, Redding and Cabrera[/url][/h4]
Unless Derek Lowe's price tag drops, the Mets will bypass him and try to re-sign Oliver P�rez, who received endorsements Wednesday from Manuel, Maine and Pelfrey. Minaya has spoken a few times since the winter meetings with Scott Boras, who represents P�rez and Lowe. Minaya is also monitoring another free agent, Randy Wolf, as well as Tim Redding and Daniel Cabrera, who were not tendered contracts for next season. -- NY Times

[h4]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08353/935944-13.stm?cmpid=pirates.xml]Pirates near multiyear deal with Doumit[/url][/h4]
The Pirates are on the verge of signing catcher Ryan Doumit to a multiyear extension, and it could happen within the week, according to a source directly involved in the negotiations. But negotiations with another core player, center fielder Nate McLouth, have gone much differently, with agent Mike Nicotera last night confirming that the chance of achieving a multiyear extension is "close to dead." The parties now are working on a basic one-year contract, the type most commonly arranged for players eligible for salary arbitration. "There's a pretty stark difference between how we evaluate what Nate has done and what we believe his future will be, and their evaluation of that in terms of placing a dollar value on it," Nicotera said. "When that's the case, it's very difficult to reach an agreement." -- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[h4]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles18dec18,0,337130.story]MacPhail says O's bid for Teixeira could go up[/url][/h4]
Although the Orioles have not raised their initial offer to free-agent first baseman and Maryland native Mark Teixeira, the possibility remains that they will, according to the club's top official. "We have indicated before that we have flexibility," Orioles president Andy MacPhail said yesterday. "I don't think anyone expects [Teixeira's agent, Scott Boras] to lean over and accept the first proposal." MacPhail does not provide the specifics of any free-agent proposal, but it is believed that last week the Orioles offered a seven-year contract worth $140 million to $150 million to Teixeira, 28, who grew up in Severna Park. It is lower than the reported offers Teixeira has received from the Los Angeles Angels, Washington Nationals and Boston Red Sox. -- Baltimore Sun

[h4]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-18-mitchelldec18,0,7229973.column]Sandberg takes next step to majors[/url][/h4]
Ryne Sandberg is taking another step toward his goal of becoming a major-league manager. The Hall of Fame second baseman was named manager of the Cubs' Double-A affiliate, the Tennessee Smokies, on Wednesday after spending the last two seasons managing the Class-A Peoria Chiefs. "First things first. Just learn along the way. That's the way I've been taking this thing," Sandberg said. "I want to learn, I want to be good at it. Like the players, I hope one day to be at the major-league level. That's kind of all of our goals in the minor leagues. I'm no different than the players." -- Chicago Tribune

WildKYcat, you have anywhere who exactly the Pads were looking for that broke our deal down?

I know at one point I saw names like Marshall, and Cedeno and a couple other minor leaguers, who was it that the Cubs called off talks for?

Because, if we are stupid enough to hold out, and Boston walks in and gets him just like that, then I'll truly know the reason why we're 100 years andcounting.
smh.gif

Stringer, maybe you know, you follow the Cubs as much as any of us.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

WildKYcat, you have anywhere who exactly the Pads were looking for that broke our deal down?

I know at one point I saw names like Marshall, and Cedeno and a couple other minor leaguers, who was it that the Cubs called off talks for?

Because, if we are stupid enough to hold out, and Boston walks in and gets him just like that, then I'll truly know the reason why we're 100 years and counting.
smh.gif

Stringer, maybe you know, you follow the Cubs as much as any of us.
laugh.gif

The Padres could have Cedeono, Marshall, Pie, and any number of minor leaguers for Peavy. I see no reason why the Cubs dont do EVERYTHING possible to bringJake to the northside.

i have no idea what killled the Peavy to the Cubs deal, because really, i got so sick of hearing about Peavy, i stopped paying attention.

"wake me up when he gets traded."

Back
Top Bottom