The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Too bad the Cardinals won't sign anybody worth a +#*$
Same for my Padres.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by djaman

Originally Posted by JPZx

I'm torn on who I'd rather have in left field (Cuddyer or Delmon). Delmon has a lot of potential, but he didn't show me much this year. I think Cuddyer hasn't put up his best season yet, but he will be 30 when the season starts..so who knows, maybe he has peaked
ohwell.gif

Come on now. Delmon is 23, and will continue to prosper. Cuddyer continually shows he's incapable of playing up to his ability save 2006. Young is our 7 spot for years.
Delmon's lack of plate discipline is warning sign.
The severe lack of power is a bigger problem to me...

Griffey knows damn well ain't nobody gonna pick up his option for $16 mil. but maybe ChiSox will bring him back at a fair rate, i'm not really surewhere he fits into their plans for next season...i'm sure Stringer will have some more insight. i personally hope he stays put.

http://
[h4]A.J. Burnett in no hurry to talk to Blue Jays[/h4]
The Toronto Blue Jays may have to wait well into November before they can begin negotiating with A.J. Burnett, the player they've called their top off-season priority. During the campaign's final series in Baltimore, Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said he wanted to start discussing a new deal with Burnett "a couple of days" after the season ended. It's been nearly two weeks and Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, said there have been no substantive discussions. More important, Braunecker said he will not talk terms with Toronto until Burnett decides whether or not to exercise the opt-out clause in his current deal. "I'm not going to waste their time with that, or put myself through that exercise if I know it's an exercise in futility," Braunecker said. That decision may not come until days or even hours before the opt-out deadline is reached. -- Toronto Star

[h4]Indians won't be bidders for Manny Ramirez[/h4]
The Indians won't be among the bidders for former Cleveland slugger Manny Ramirez in free agency this winter. General manager Mark Shapiro told The Plain Dealer that he's happy with the Indians' outfield, and that he likes the players in the team's minor-league pipeline. -- Columbus Dispatch

[h4]Yanks pass on Sabathia?[/h4]
The Yankees aren't expected to make a strong pitch for potential free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia, whom they fear might be too laid back for the turmoil of the Bronx. -- Rocky Mountain News

[h4]Reds eye Marlins Willingham, Hermida[/h4]
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty has a history of making big trades, so it figures he will try to take that avenue this winter. In St. Louis, he traded for Mark McGwire, Jim Edmonds, Scott Rolen and Mark Mulder; only the Mulder deal could be considered a failure. Florida seems the type of team Jocketty may pursue for new blood. With 17 players eligible for arbitration, the Marlins likely will try to trade a few to remain within their budget. It will cost the Reds prospects to acquire a player and dollars to keep him, but it is a way to add talented players approaching their prime. Some high-profile, high-dollar free agents also are available, but most are at or past their peak. With the Reds' best days ahead, Jocketty is expected to be more interested in players who can grow with the likes of Jay Bruce and Joey Votto. So while fans and talking heads discuss free agents such as CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Mark Teixeira and Pat Burrell, the most likely targets for the Reds will be players such as Josh Willingham, Jeremy Hermida and Kansas City's David Dejesus. -- Columbus Dispatch

[h4]Yanks interested in Padres Peavy[/h4]
Free agency isn't the Yankees' only route toward restocking their starting rotation. If the Padres are rebuilding, then unanimous 2007 NL Cy Young award winnner Jake Peavy might ask to relocate. And, in the right scenario, the 27-year-old right-hander could switch leagues. "We've talked about it," Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, said by phone on Thursday. "His first choice, clearly, is to be on the Padres, and on a winning team with the Padres." But if San Diego decided it would be more beneficial to move Peavy in a blockbuster deal, or to free up salary, then Peavy would consider waiving his no-trade clause -- depending upon the location. In recent conversations with Peavy, Axelrod said there are "three teams in the AL that could entice him." Axelrod did not specifically mention the Yankees, but said, "Any kid, you'd imagine, always thinks about wearing the pinstripes some day. But it'd be a pretty significant move for him." -- Bergen Record

If I'm the Mets I offer Murphy, Heilman and another pitcher for Peavy. That's a guy the Mets need.
That's not even close...

See what you offered for Johan, and add to it. Honestly, the Mets probably don't have the farm system to get it done without Jose Reyes or David Wright...4 years of Peavy at market discount contract is not gonna come cheap...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

If I'm the Mets I offer Murphy, Heilman and another pitcher for Peavy. That's a guy the Mets need.
That's not even close...

See what you offered for Johan, and add to it. Honestly, the Mets probably don't have the farm system to get it done without Jose Reyes or David Wright... 4 years of Peavy at market discount contract is not gonna come cheap...
While u are right that Peavy won't come cheap because of his discount, it won't cost as much as we gave up for Santana .
I'd say Murphy, Heilman, and 2 more players and it should be a done deal.

Originally Posted by djaman

Originally Posted by JPZx

I'm torn on who I'd rather have in left field (Cuddyer or Delmon). Delmon has a lot of potential, but he didn't show me much this year. I think Cuddyer hasn't put up his best season yet, but he will be 30 when the season starts..so who knows, maybe he has peaked
ohwell.gif

Come on now. Delmon is 23, and will continue to prosper. Cuddyer continually shows he's incapable of playing up to his ability save 2006. Young is our 7 spot for years.
Delmon's lack of plate discipline is warning sign.
The severe lack of power is a bigger problem to me...
Power can be developed but plate disciplined generally can't. How many hitters suddenly stop striking out and drastically change thereapproach at the plate? Rarely ever happens, in fact looking at Delmon's minor league stats, very underwhelming.

At this point I see him as a broke Vernon Wells.

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

That's not even close...

See what you offered for Johan, and add to it. Honestly, the Mets probably don't have the farm system to get it done without Jose Reyes or David Wright... 4 years of Peavy at market discount contract is not gonna come cheap...
While u are right that Peavy won't come cheap because of his discount, it won't cost as much as we gave up for Santana .
I'd say Murphy, Heilman, and 2 more players and it should be a done deal.

I guarantee a package headed by Daniel Murphy and Aaron Heilman is nowhere near good enough to get that deal done... Heilman is coming off anAWFUL season, and I don't see anything special about Murphy...

And why wouldn't it cost more than what you gave up for Santana? Peavy is a certified ace and you're trading for 4 years of him at a discounted rate...

The fact that you had to give Johan $125 million extension drove the price down on him big time. I hope you don't believe you gave up a bounty for theguy... You gave up an outfielder that can't hit, two spare arms, and a high-ceiling/high-risk arm in Guerra... That's not that much at all. It wasterrible value for the Twins... In fact, it's probably the third best package offered if you believe Phil Hughes and Jon Lester were available in packagesfrom New York and Boston...

You aren't getting Jake Peavy with marginal prospects like Murphy and spare pitchers like Aaron Heilman. It's not happening.
Power can be developed but plate disciplined generally can't. How many hitters suddenly stop striking out and drastically change there approach at the plate? Rarely ever happens, in fact looking at Delmon's minor league stats, very underwhelming.

At this point I see him as a broke Vernon Wells.
I mean, he's always had a questionable approach at the plate, but he showed legitimate power in the minors to make up for it... It's likeChris Davis with the Rangers. He never walks and strikes out a ton, but you can live with it if he's hitting for power... Delmon was a great prospectbecause it looked like he was a COF that could hit 30, 35, 40 homers a year... Him having bad plate discipline is no surprise. Him not hitting for power is amajor disappointment...

I think that's different Delmon never slugged .500 past AA, he only hit 26 homers in 500 at bats at AA. meanwhile Chris Davis slugged .600 at threedifferent levels and hit 36 homers in 500 at bats... IT's hard to compare anybody to Chris Davis in terms of powerlet alone Delmon who I never considered more than a 30 homer threat.

Plus when you have that much power it's pretty hard not to get on base unless your Ryan Howard '08...Delmons not going to be done any favors buy isterrible approach.

I think that's different Delmon never slugged .500 past AA, he only hit 26 homers in 500 at bats at AA. meanwhile Chris Davis slugged .600 at three different levels and hit 36 homers in 500 at bats... IT's hard to compare anybody to Chris Davis in terms of power let alone Delmon who I never considered more than a 30 homer threat.

Plus when you have that much power it's pretty hard not to get on base unless your Ryan Howard '08...Delmons not going to be done any favors buy is terrible approach.
He's definitely got some real issues... But, goes to show you just how zoned in the Rays front office is right now in terms of personnelmoves... Trading Delmon for Matt Garza is going to look like robbery down the line...

[h4]Mets could pass on K-Rod and Fuentes?[/h4]
The push will be for the Mets to go hard for one of the two main free-agent closers, either Francisco Rodriguez or Brian Fuentes. But my suspicion is the Mets will not dine at those prices, especially because they do not have insurance on Wagner's $13 million deal for 2009. Therefore, it could be up to the Mets' scouts to identify the beauty in less obvious candidates. Keep in mind that Dan Wheeler is closing for the AL East champion Rays and Florida's Matt Lindstrom closed out Game 162 against the Mets. The Mets traded both of those players. So can the Mets make one of those deals going the other way and find their own undervalued gem? -- NY Post

[h4]Giants in market for Marlins Dan Uggla?[/h4]
San Francisco, desperate for a proven bat, is expected to pursue one-dimensional second baseman Dan Uggla. The Giants also may kick the tires on first baseman Paul Konerko of the White Sox and Derrek Lee of the Cubs, both of whom have full no-trade clauses. They probably would have to deal a young pitcher--Jonathan Sanchez or Matt Cain. They're considered expendable because lefty Madison Bumgarner is climbing fast. -- Chicago Tribune

[h4]Nolan Ryan works to fix Rangers pitching mess[/h4]
That approach helps explain why Ryan has become perhaps the first sitting president in Rangers history to visit the Instructional League. During his two trips (a third is planned before the end of the month), he spoke with all 31 pitchers in camp. He met with a handful in one-on-one sessions and he even went to the mound a couple of times during batting practice to offer advice. It's all part of the club's plan to overhaul the quality of the major league pitching staff. Because, if nothing else, Nolan Ryan doesn't want to spend any more endless summers shedding Hall of Fame sweat watching the Rangers walk the rest of the league. "It was total frustration," Ryan said of watching the Rangers compile a major league-worst ERA of 5.37 while throwing a major league-high 24,986 pitches. "Our inability to throw strikes, our inconsistency of performance and our lack of command by our veteran starters made it pretty hard to sit through." -- Dallas Morning News

[h4]Bobby Valentine eyes Mariners and Brewers jobs?[/h4]
We're hearing more and more that Bobby Valentine, 58, is sending out feelers to return to the States to manage. He earns $1.5 million per year managing the Chibe Lotte Marines but appears to be growing weary of Japan and would love to return home to manage. "I know he's sent e-mails to a few 'future' GMs," said an American League scout. Valentine reportedly was interested in returning to the Mets, but they ended up retaining Jerry Manuel. He now has his sights set on Seattle, while Milwaukee also could be a possibility. -- Boston Globe

[h4]Braun: Brewers have good chance to keep Sabathia[/h4]
Ryan Braun thinks the Brewers have a good chance of retaining CC Sabathia as anyone. Based on things he said Sabathia has said in the clubhouse, Braun said he thinks the Brewers have a shot to keep the player most responsible for ending the club's 26-year playoff drought. "I'm not going to tell you what he said specifically, but I know he enjoyed it here," said Braun. "He likes the guys on the team. He recognizes that we're going to be good for a while, too. "I don't think he'll take a discount financially, but he might take less years for the same amount of money, which makes it less risk, less commitment from the organization." -- News-

[h4]Rays Hunsicker to Rangers?[/h4]
The Rays' success has brought attention to their key management people. Gerry Hunsicker, brought in to help young GM Andrew Friedman in the role of senior vice president of baseball operations, may be on Texas's radar for a similar role, to advise youthful GM Jon Daniels. There's no doubt that the Rangers, who have a blossoming farm system, need some direction.-- Boston Globe

[h4]Padres make Peavy available for trade[/h4]
It has been 10 months since the Padres did everything in their power to keep Jake Peavy from testing free agency, signing him to a $52 million contract extension. But one season and 99 losses later, the team has let it be known that the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner is available for a trade. The Padres' willingness to listen to offers for a player under contract through at least 2012 reveals a shift in the organization's direction caused by a 63-99 showing in 2008. When Peavy's extension was finalized last winter, the Padres had strung together four straight winning seasons with playoff appearances in 2005 and '06. "This was a different year than last year," general manager Kevin Towers said of the shift in priorities, before noting the difficulty. "You're arguably talking about moving one of the top pitchers in the game. But it's not a 100-percent given. "Nothing is imminent." Especially because Peavy, who didn't return a call seeking comment, is set to earn $11 million in 2009, a relative bargain for a pitcher of his caliber and history of success. And unless the Padres are knocked off their feet by an offer ---- think similar to the six prospects the Arizona Diamondbacks sent to Oakland in exchange for ace pitcher Dan Haren ---- they don't have to move Peavy. -- North County Times

[h4]Dodgers owner can't afford Manny, Lowe and Furcal?[/h4]
There is going to be enormous pressure on the Dodgers to sign Manny Ramirez after the Manny-mania he has created in this city, and Dodger insiders say that if owner Frank McCourt makes an $80-to-100 million commitment there, he won't be able to afford either Derek Lowe or free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. -- NY Daily News

[h4]A's Huston Street to Indians?[/h4]
Oakland has been rumored to be open to dealing Huston Street for a year now. The fact he's still with the A's either suggests their asking price is exorbitant or he was never all that available to begin with. But Street isn't happy to have lost his closing job to Brad Ziegler in the second half of this season, and A's general manager Billy Beane isn't shy when it comes to the trading game, especially with his club now in rebuilding mode. It would take multiple prospects to land Street, who strikes me as an intriguing possibility for the Tribe this winter. The A's have uncertainties in their infield and in their rotation. The Indians have rotation depth. -- Indians.com

[h4]Brewers GM visits Sveum in Phoenix[/h4]
Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin traveled to Phoenix on Monday to meet with Dale Sveum and discuss the team's managerial situation. Sveum was named interim manager with 12 games remaining in the season after Ned Yost was fired. The Brewers went 7-5 over that span, including a 6-1 finish, to claim the National League wild-card berth, the team's first playoff appearance in 26 years. The Brewers were eliminated in the National League Division Series against Philadelphia in four games. Thus, in 16 games under Sveum, the Brewers were 8-8. -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

[h4]Yankees could go get Phils' Pat Gillick[/h4]
Brian Cashman should still find a way to work with Pat Gillick. Because the skills that define Gillick's career - skills that should lead him to the Hall of Fame - are traits the Yankees can use even on a consultant basis. Gillick is renowned for scouting acumen, sagacity in decision-making and terrific people skills that help bridge disparate viewpoints. He also finds the genius in little moves that net huge results - and the Phillies are one win away from reaching the World Series because of that theory. -- NY Post

[h4]Marlins Dan Uggla to Rockies?[/h4]
I think a trade is possible. The Marlins are likely to have a payroll of between $30 million and $35 million, and could look to avoid paying Uggla the $5 million to $6 million he'll get in the arbitration process. They also could package him with left-handed pitcher Scott Olsen, who could make $2.7 million. A match could be made with the Marlins, who are looking for catching help and have flirted with obtaining the Rockies' Yorvit Torrealba in the past. They couldn't work a trade with the Rockies at the non-waiver Trade Deadline, but could be in a better position if they gave up some players with rising salaries and obtained Torrealba and a pitching prospect. The Rockies, of course, have Clint Barmes coming off a solid year and Jeff Baker, who was a decent run producer in limited playing time, at second base. But Uggla could change positions, and there could be trade interest in Barmes or Baker. If the Rockies deal Matt Holliday, Uggla might be feasible in left field. -- Rockies.com

[h4]Mets target Derek Lowe?[/h4]
After Derek Lowe had given them a gutsy five innings on three days' rest, surrendering two runs and no doubt making him even more appealing as a free agent to both the Mets and Yankees. In fact, one person familiar with the thinking of the Met decision-makers said yesterday Lowe is "very much on their radar." -- NY Daily News

[h4]Astros Carlos Lee still has pinkie issues[/h4]
Astros outfielder Carlos Lee's broken left little finger is not completely healed two months after he suffered six fractures when he was hit in the hand by a pitch from the Cincinnati Reds' Bronson Arroyo. Lee, who spends most of the offseason in his native Panama, was in Houston on Monday to be examined by Astros physician Dr. Tom Mehlhoff. "The doctor says it's going to be about six more weeks so that everything will be back to normal," Lee said. "Right now I'm doing exercises to get stronger and to have the movement needed in the finger." Lee, who led the National League with 100 RBIs and the Astros with 28 home runs when he was injured Aug. 9, expects to be 100 percent for spring training. -- Houston Chronicle

What's sad is there is nothing in the news for the Cards
smh.gif

Management probably thinks the All-Star game is enough for us fans.

^ yo man, how'd you get First Born back? Was your punishment or whatever only temporary?

c'mon FB, it's early...

i'm interested to see what Jocketty does in his first off-season with us.

we need a short-stop and a right-handed bat. for the first time in a while, the pitching staff is straight, decent rotation, top 5 bullpen in the league(gotta resign of couple of those relievers though.)

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

c'mon FB, it's early...

i'm interested to see what Jocketty does in his first off-season with us.

we need a short-stop and a right-handed bat. for the first time in a while, the pitching staff is straight, decent rotation, top 5 bullpen in the league (gotta resign of couple of those relievers though.)
You guys letting Jocketty spend? What is your payroll gonna get close to this season?

CP1708, I wasn't sure how the rules worked on banishment, technically I didn't do anything to get banned in thefirst place. My younger cousin was linked to my old eZ supporter account and posted some pic in the myspace angles thread over 2 years ago, hence mybanishment. Meth knows that I haven't had any problems since and gave me back my original name.

wildKYcat, you guys will be in better shape. I am surprised you guys had such a rough 08 season.

Seriously the Blue Jays should think about Peavy, his mechanics are as much of an injury risk as AJ and will be cheaper.

Does anyone really think Furcal will repeat anything he did this year?

there's a misconception that because Griffey and Dunn are gone we're gonna have more money to spend...but that's not exactly true.

Harang, Phillips, and Arroyo are all due to make more money this season under their current contracts.

the new ownership proved last season that they weren't afraid to spend some money with the signing of Cordero...which helped with the improvement of thebullpen (which was the worst in the league the season before.)

i'd look for maybe a serviceable young player or two to join the team...a guy to grow and mesh with the current young players.

we'll be ok...we went thru some injuries at the SS position with Alex Gonzalez (how many of y'all forgot we had him?), Kepp, and Hairston (who playedvery well when he was in the lineup. as well as Freel and Hopper being hurt. now those aren't great players by no means, but still. and with the loss ofvets like Griff and Dunn...you gotta like how Dusty still had the team playing hard and playing good, especially the last 6 weeks of the season.

Harang had a little arm trouble and was never the same after he thru 4 innings of relief during that 18 inning game vs. San Diego. he'll bounce back,he's a workhorse.

Arroyo pitched thru some adversity as well...there was about a 8-10 game stretch were he stunk. training staff thought he was hurt and he said "i'mfine...i just suck." gotta like that attitude, and whatever he was doing wrong, he fixed as he pitched very well the last two months of theyear.

Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Phillips...
pimp.gif

^
you get a discount for Harang's issues though? Gota be at least a little leary of giving him money after this season. Least he could do is take a smallerdeal and maybe load it with incentives. Not sure if the name Boras is attached to him or anything though.
laugh.gif

Harang's not making a whole lot...before this season, did you know he was the winningest pitcher in the NL over the last 3 seasons? and he's always atthe top in innings pitched. he's not even the ace anymore. his stats (i know, i know...) are kinda misleading. he had some good games (not great) andsome horrible, horrible games...so his era is kinda all over the place. and he was up there in terms of bad run-support. like i said, i'm not reallysweating him, i really think he'll bounce back and give us a good chance to win everytime he takes the mound.

but in a dream world...we make a trade for Jimmy Rollins or Matt Holiday.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom