The Major League Baseball Off-Season Post Vol. 24 days until Opening Day 2009

http://
[h4]Sources: Mets enter bidding for CC Sabathia[/h4]
The latest Subway Series tussle could be over none other than CC Sabathia, the Daily News has learned, as the Mets Thursday apparently joined the Yankees in pursuit of baseball's biggest free agent prize. A high-placed Yankee source Thursday reacted to the development by saying: "The Mets are in it? Great. Bring it on." The Yankees are plotting a quick-strike offer to Sabathia that would meet or exceed the $137.5 million for six years that Johan Santana received from the Mets last winter. -- NY Daily News

[h4]ChiSox Dye and Vazquez to Cards?[/h4]
Although Jermaine Dye and pitcher Javier Vazquez have limited no-trade clauses, dealing them could help the White Sox address needs of speed, youth and catching depth. St. Louis, which is looking for starting pitching and outfield help, could entice the Sox with a package that includes top outfield prospect Colby Rasmus, who is a leadoff type. -- Chicago Tribune

[h4]Padres Peavy may go to Yankees or Angels?[/h4]
The Padres have been unable to line up a trade with one of Jake Peavy's preferred teams and next could turn elsewhere to move the ace pitcher's four-year, $63 million guarantee amid apparent financial duress. "We've had advanced discussions with the Cubs and Braves, which are Jake's priority teams," General Manager Kevin Towers said last night, "but at this point in time, I do not see a potential deal with either club." The Yankees and Angels could be next in line, but that doesn't necessarily mean Towers' job will become easier. At season's end, Peavy said he doesn't want to go to the American League. His agent, Barry Axelrod, said a few days later that Peavy has a "strong, strong, strong preference" to stay in the National League. During the GM meetings last week, Towers said that Peavy, 27, might be open to going to the Yankees and Angels. -- San Diego Union-Tribune

[h4]Mark Teixeira is Orioles primary target[/h4]
Mark Teixeira, the Mount St. Joseph graduate who is widely considered the best free-agent position player available, is the Orioles' primary target. They are not alone. Teixeira's agent Scott Boras said he expects so much interest in his client that Teixeira and his wife likely will have to whittle the list to a handful of clubs before serious negotiations can begin. Boras wouldn't comment as to whether he expected the Orioles to be in that mix, but he wouldn't discount the appeal that a hometown team holds. "Generally, players raised in a certain area are always going to have an attraction to that area and the brand of that area because it is home and they are familiar with it," Boras said. "It's my experience, players always look at those areas because it provides a comfort to them." The Orioles shouldn't expect any hometown discounts, however. Teixeira reportedly turned down an eight-year, $144 million offer from the Texas Rangers in 2007 -- and he has continued to play at an All-Star and Gold Glove level since. -- Baltimore Sun

[h4]Rockies Atkins to Twins, Halos or Phillies?[/h4]
Rockies third baseman Garrett Atkins has drawn interest from the Twins, Angels and Phillies, with the Reds and Indians peeking but not yet making a push. -- Rocky Mountain News

[h4]Nationals making serious run at Mark Teixeira?[/h4]
Against all odds and logic, the Nationals envision themselves as serious players in the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes, according to team and league sources, and are believed to be preparing an offer they feel will be competitive with the others Teixeira is likely to receive. In other words, it would almost certainly be north of $100 million, if not $150 million -- a remarkable leap for a franchise whose major free agent signing last winter (as it headed into a new stadium) was catcher Paul Lo Duca at $5 million for one year. -- Washington Post

[h4]Reds looking at blockbuster trade with Rockies?[/h4]
Reds GM Walt Jocketty is talking with several teams about trades, one of which is Colorado. Names that have surfaced include outfielder/leadoff hitter Willy Taveras, catcher Yorvit Torrealba and third baseman Garrett Atkins. All three fit into needs as the Reds search for a right-handed power hitter (Atkins � .286, 21 homers, 99 RBIs); a catcher (Torrealba � .246 in 70 games, most in a backup role); and an outfielder/leadoff hitter (Taveras, who led the league with 68 stolen bases, but hit only .251 with a .308 on-base average). The Rockies are searching for starting pitchers, but are not interested in Homer Bailey. "We'll do what we can to improve our team by any means � free agents we can afford, trades or within the system," Jocketty said. -- Dayton Daily News

[h4]Yanks unlikely to add Mark Teixeira[/h4]
In fact, in an exclusive interview with The Post, Brian Cashman strongly indicated the Yankees will not even sign CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira in tandem. "At the pricetags I have read, that is fantasy land, not reality land," Cashman said yesterday of bringing in Sabathia and Teixeira. A Yankees executive said the club has not even created scenarios for assembling a 2009 roster in which it signs the most attractive starter and position player in the free-agent market. The plan is to concentrate on starting pitching, namely Sabathia, and - at best - Teixeira is a backburner issue in case all the rotation avenues prove fruitless. Teixeira was pushed further to the backburner yesterday when the Yanks obtained Nick Swisher, who, as of now, projects to be the starting first baseman. -- NY Post

[h4]Rockies Taveras to Reds, ChiSox or Yanks?[/h4]
Colorado center fielder Willy Taveras could fill needs for the Reds, White Sox, Yankees and Marlins. -- Rocky Mountain News

[h4]Cards eye Renteria, Hudson and Furcal?[/h4]
Cards GM John Mozeliak, like the other 29 general mangers, will be making initial calls to free agents today. That group is likely to include former Cardinals shortstop Edgar Renteria, who was with Detroit; Arizona second baseman Orlando Hudson; Los Angeles shortstop Rafael Furcal; and lefthanded relievers Arthur Rhodes (Florida), Will Ohman (Atlanta) and Brian Fuentes (Colorado) � although the last named is likely to be too pricey. -- St. Louis Post-Dispatch

[h4]Mets looking at ChiSox Jenks?[/h4]
The Mets are investigating a trade for the White Sox's Bobby Jenks and also could opt for free agent Brian Fuentes, who could go as low as three years. The longer the Mets talk trade for Jenks, the lower the prices could drop for either K-Rod or Fuentes. And there's a good chance Minaya will get the opportunity to match or trump whatever offers they do get. In that sense, time is on the Mets' side here, and that should let them pick and choose the best fit. -- Newsday

[h4]Orioles could target Rafael Furcal?[/h4]
Desperately needing a shortstop since December's trade of Miguel Tejada, the Orioles could target free agents Rafael Furcal, Orlando Cabrera or Edgar Renteria. Or they might court cheaper alternatives such as St. Louis' Cesar Izturis or Minnesota's Adam Everett or acquire a shortstop via trade. Whatever the process, the Orioles are looking for a long-term solution at short and not a one-year stopgap. -- Baltimore Sun

[h4]Brewers Hardy to Twins?[/h4]
The Twins are in the market for a starting shortstop and have the young pitching to make a strong pitch for Milwaukee's J.J. Hardy or Atlanta's Yunel Escobar. -- Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

[h4]Cubs could add Abreu, Ibanez or Roberts?[/h4]
The surprise � to me, anyway � is the Cubs didn't get Ryan Dempster signed to a contract extension Thursday when their exclusive signing period ended. That means he hits the open market Friday, which greatly increases the chances he'll leave. Don't be surprised if the Cubs strike quickly either to finalize a Jake Peavy trade or sign another of the eligible free-agent starters. Although if Lou Piniella gets his wish, they will take Dempster's money and sign Bobby Abreu or Raul Ibanez or trade for Brian Roberts, reshaping the lineup. -- Chicago Tribune

[h4]O's in market for Byrd and Garland?[/h4]
CC Sabathia, who finished 2008 with the Milwaukee Brewers, is the most coveted starter this offseason and almost certainly wouldn't consider the Orioles. Beyond their interest in Burnett, who won a career-best 18 games with the Blue Jays last year, the Orioles might pursue Boston's Paul Byrd and Los Angeles' Jon Garland, among others. -- Baltimore Sun

[h4]Braves eye Dempster, Burnett and Lowe?[/h4]
Without any guarantee of adding Jake Peavy to their rotation, the Braves will likely be more aggressive in their pursuits of Ryan Dempster, A.J. Burnett, Derek Lowe and Randy Wolf. -- MLB.com

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

I have reviewed Ben Sheets mechanics and have concluded that his problem is purely conditioning. If he wasn't so lazy in the off season he wouldn't be getting injured nearly as often. When a pitcher gets oblique injuries it's 90% of the time a conditioning ask Josh Becktt...

Fat_Beckett.jpg
CC Sabathia begs to differ

Not really CC is just fat, has always been, will always be . Doesn't mean he doesn't put in work in the offseason it just means he still eatingMcDonald for breakfast and dinner. Josh Beckett gained this weight from last year and even admitted that he will have to "pitch himself intoshape"
smh.gif

If you don't condition your core over the offseason it wont be able to take the stress of entire season especially if you're a power pitcher.

Example_HipsRotatingBeforeShoulders_TimLincecum_2007_035.jpg

Look at the stress Timmy put on you're core muscles if their not conditioned properly then oblique injuries can occur. This picture is the most extremebecause nobody utilizes their entire body better than Tim.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

tx.josh.beckett.si-746429.jpg

Looks like things could get interesting in the next couple of days. As expected Texiera will have his choice of any MLB team he wants to play for it lookslike. I personally would like to see us pick up Texiera and move Youk to 3rd like he played the latter half of the year but I dont know if thats in the cards.The only thing I possibly see happening for us this offseason would be a new catcher, and maybe on of the top starters in the mix and I would be happy.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Looks like things could get interesting in the next couple of days. As expected Texiera will have his choice of any MLB team he wants to play for it looks like. I personally would like to see us pick up Texiera and move Youk to 3rd like he played the latter half of the year but I dont know if thats in the cards. The only thing I possibly see happening for us this offseason would be a new catcher, and maybe on of the top starters in the mix and I would be happy.
And what would you do with Lowell? I mean Ortiz is already the worst fielder in MLB. You have to keep him in DH. Dude moves slower than my 70year old grandma with arthritis. And Lowell is a very good bat. He ain't Texiera but he hits close to 300 with close to 30 homers every year. No way arethe Sox signing Texiera. Unless they just want to keep him away from the Yankees.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

Looks like things could get interesting in the next couple of days. As expected Texiera will have his choice of any MLB team he wants to play for it looks like. I personally would like to see us pick up Texiera and move Youk to 3rd like he played the latter half of the year but I dont know if thats in the cards. The only thing I possibly see happening for us this offseason would be a new catcher, and maybe on of the top starters in the mix and I would be happy.
And what would you do with Lowell? I mean Ortiz is already the worst fielder in MLB. You have to keep him in DH. Dude moves slower than my 70 year old grandma with arthritis. And Lowell is a very good bat. He ain't Texiera but he hits close to 300 with close to 30 homers every year. No way are the Sox signing Texiera. Unless they just want to keep him away from the Yankees.
Move Youk to left, have JD play center and put Bay in right.

Lowell plays third (even though he sucks at it) and Tex play 1st.

ChiSox GM is up to something ... but what?

Kenny Williams is up to something.

The Nick Swisher trade surely is the prelude to something else, something bigger - what, I don't know.

I don't buy for a second that the 2009 White Sox will go young at three positions - second base, third and center field.

Trading Swisher saves money. So does the exchange of Juan Uribe, a free agent, for Wilson Betemit. So will the trades of right-hander Javier Vazquez and perhaps first baseman Paul Konerko or even right fielder Jermaine Dye.

In the meantime, I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams, the White Sox's general manager, pursue one or more upgrades over Josh Fields at third, Chris Getz and Jayson Nix at second and Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens in center.

Angels third baseman Chone Figgin, a longtime favorite of the White Sox, could become available if the Angels trade for the Rockies' Garrett Atkins.

Dodgers center fielder Juan Pierre could be another option if the Dodgers pay a sizable percentage of the $28.5 million he is owed over the next three seasons.

Free-agent second baseman Orlando Hudson also would make sense; the White Sox plan to move Rookie of the Year runner-up Alexei Ramirez to shortstop.

No question, the sagging economy will force some teams to scale back. The White Sox could fall into that category. But after winning the AL Central title, they are not going to turn into the South Side Marlins.

Remember in Dec. 2004 when Williams traded Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scott Podsednik, Luis Vizcaino and a minor leaguer?

That trade, like the Swisher deal, made little sense at first glance.

But Williams turned his $8 million savings on Lee into Tadahito Iguchi, A.J. Pierzynski and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez - and the White Sox won the 2005 World Series.

Swisher, coming off a season in which he batted .219 and played part-time in the final two months, yielded only Betemit and two minor-league pitchers. But to isolate this move would be foolhardy when it almost certainly is part of a larger plan.

Swisher is owed $22.05 million over the next three seasons, Vazquez $23 million over the next two. White Sox officials initially believed that Hudson would be too expensive for them on the open market. But if they pare enough salary, maybe not.
Nick Swisher needs to make the most of his time in New York. ( J. Meric / Getty Images)

Kenny is up to something. Stay tuned.

SWISHER: A NEEDED CHANGE

Some with the Yankees believe that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was one of Swisher's problems; big personalities both, perhaps they were destined to clash.

Some with the White Sox, however, say that Swisher was a less-than- ideal teammate, at times acting selfishly, particularly when he was not hitting.

"We still love the guy and the energy he brings," Williams said. "We certainly believe he's going to have a bounce-back season next year. But we felt the fit just wasn't good enough to continue on down this road."

The question is, will Swisher be a better fit with the Yankees?

Williams said that Swisher hit into poor luck last season. Swisher's .249 batting average on balls in play supports that point. The American League average was .301.

On the other hand, if Swisher's brashness was an issue under Guillen, it might be even more of an issue under Joe Girardi, the Yankees' stern manager.

It also might not sit well in a clubhouse dominated by three of the game's great professionals - Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera.

The guess here is that Swisher will tone down his act, humbled by his experience with the White Sox. He has been traded twice in 11 months, and he turns 28 on Nov. 25. His career is at a crossroads.

This was an article by Ken Rosenthal on Fox Sports.

I do agree that the Swisher trade is a precursor to something greater another corresponding move down the road.

The Sox are looking to change the team's dynamic and the number of FA they've allowed to walk is a pretty clear indicator.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by Biggie62

And what would you do with Lowell? I mean Ortiz is already the worst fielder in MLB. You have to keep him in DH. Dude moves slower than my 70 year old grandma with arthritis. And Lowell is a very good bat. He ain't Texiera but he hits close to 300 with close to 30 homers every year. No way are the Sox signing Texiera. Unless they just want to keep him away from the Yankees.
Move Youk to left, have JD play center and put Bay in right.

Lowell plays third (even though he sucks at it) and Tex play 1st.
Would def make my life easier as a Yankees fan. Bad defense at CF and no more SB threat. DO IT!!! lol. Jacoby is too good a prospect to do that. It doesn't make sense for the Sox at all.

Jacoby is too good a prospect to do that.
OH. VER. RATED. *clapclap, clapclapclap*

He had one stop in the minors (a small sample size in AA during 2007) where he looked like much more than an average hitter... He's a good defensive playerwith speed... He's not a great prospect... Not to me, anyways...

And if the Red Sox signed Teixeira, they'd trade Lowell... Youkilis would more than handle his own with the glove over there... Lowell would still havesome value, assuming the Sox would eat some of the contract, considering how many teams are looking for someone at 3rd right now... Twins, Rangers, Dodgers,and several others...

Does anybody want Bobby Crosby?!?! We will take a snack-pack sized Flamin' Hot Cheetos and a vintage Vanilla Coke for him. Any takers?

Looks like Atlanta is out on a deal for Peavy...San Diego should have taken the Esco/Gorkys/Boyer/Morton package. Especially compared to the Cubs' bestoffer.

I can't say enough how much I want Cleveland to stay away from Atkins.

eyes.gif
at LaPorta's numbers...

Beckett in '09
smokin.gif
I have nothing to say about that pic though
laugh.gif

Nowitness, first Carlos Gonzalez and now Jacoby Ellsbury?? I'm gonna have to disagree on this one...he's only 25 and we can't discount what he didlast year in the World Series against the Rockies. As mentioned, Ellsbury has great speed and plays excellent defense in the OF. As far as hitting, I thinkthis past season was a matter of pitchers starting to figure him out. But it's not like .280 on the year is awful or anything. With the proper hittingadjustments in the off-season, which is the main thing I see Ellsbury working on, I imagine his BA could improve to the .290-.295 range for next season.

Nowitness, first Carlos Gonzalez and now Jacoby Ellsbury?? I'm gonna have to disagree on this one...he's only 25 and we can't discount what he did last year in the World Series against the Rockies. As mentioned, Ellsbury has great speed and plays excellent defense in the OF. As far as hitting, I think this past season was a matter of pitchers starting to figure him out. But it's not like .280 on the year is awful or anything. With the proper hitting adjustments in the off-season, which is the main thing I see Ellsbury working on, I imagine his BA could improve to the .290-.295 range for next season.
I mean, don't get me wrong... I like Jacoby just fine and think he's definitely a valuable asset... But what did I say about him thatwasn't true? Other than his 2007 AA stint to start the year, what about his offensive production jumps out at you as great?

If he hits .280 and steals 30-40 bags while playing good defense in center, he's a solid-average starter... But he's never gonna hit for power.He's probably not gonna hit .300 over the course of a big league season consistently... The biggest question is... Is he the .385 OBP guy he was throughouthis minor league career, or is he the .335 OBP guy we saw this past year? If he's a .335-.350 OPS guy that isn't hitting for power, he's not evenaverage offensively...

He's definitely the guy I'd go with in CF if I'm the Red Sox... Looks like Johnny Damon with less power to me... And Johnny Damon had a couple ofdamn good years, but is that really a great prospect/player? Like I said, I don't see it...

please someone take juan pierre
frown.gif

we'll take a servicable 3b or some bullpen help

damn Yankees giving offers to 3 top pitchers
mad.gif

Well the Braves have ended talks with the Padres for Peavy. Not mad but the Braves can't compete with the Yankees offers to AJ Burnett and Derek Lowe thisis the first year the Braves actually have money to spend and they will be outbid by the big market teams.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Originally Posted by CP1708

Yanks got offers to CC, Lowe, AND Burnett????
grin.gif

Jesus.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

You gotta love it, though

Make no damn sense but $!$% it

laugh.gif

I'm excited for when they get all three of them, then enter the Peavy sweepstakes. Can't wait.
smh.gif

Pettit will come back, Mussina, Pavano maybe, Jaba, they'll just have a 14 man rotation and still have arm injuries in June.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom