The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- O’Malley v Vera on NOW

They were saying DC vs Stipe also in the small cage since its the Apex. Pretty crazy

Yea, they announced that a while ago because DC made the comment about Stipe needing to grab his wrestling shoes or something like that, :lol:

UFC needs to stop playing and put DC/Stipe 2 on YouTube already.

did Max Holloway beat Ortega so badly he quit the sport?

Shabaz caught a humbling. sux but he wont be the same going forward

Ortega been acting like a jerk ever since the beating. He used to be this humble street gangster then after max laid hands on him Ortega started picking fights with frail Korean pop stars

He’s been begging to fight zombie but apparently zombie has travel issues with covid

Very bizarre situation when herb called timeout to start round 3 and let the doctor check on shahbazyn. There’s no timeouts lol shahbazyn shouldn’t be allowed to recover

“You’ve got Brunson, who ends that round strong, many could argue that fight could have been stopped there at the end of the round. I’m sure the ref thought that the guy would have time to go back,” White said. “What you don’t do is talk to the guy for (expletive) 10 minutes while he’s hurt. You know what I mean? Either stop the fight or let him continue, but go.

You’re letting the kid recover while you’ve got Brunson who did that work while he’s waiting for the bell to ring so that he can go in and finish the fight. Pull the trigger one way or the other. Stop the fight or don’t.”

yup all cuz of Hardy which is why you dont go down this rabbit hole. every fight stoppage is a judgement call meaning every single time someone could argue the other side and often be right.

if Herb calls it and Shabaz rolls over and hops right up like he did everyones up in arms about the stoppage saying Herb derailed his career. it is what it is

reminded me of Ceronne vs Ferguson. neither decision woulda been all the way correct

tough job but now the spotlights unfairly bright. Herb will get a cpl cards off and the same issues will be prevalent

Very bizarre situation when herb called timeout to start round 3 and let the doctor check on shahbazyn. There’s no timeouts lol shahbazyn shouldn’t be allowed to recover

“You’ve got Brunson, who ends that round strong, many could argue that fight could have been stopped there at the end of the round. I’m sure the ref thought that the guy would have time to go back,” White said. “What you don’t do is talk to the guy for (expletive) 10 minutes while he’s hurt. You know what I mean? Either stop the fight or let him continue, but go.

You’re letting the kid recover while you’ve got Brunson who did that work while he’s waiting for the bell to ring so that he can go in and finish the fight. Pull the trigger one way or the other. Stop the fight or don’t.”

Edmund shouldn't have let him back out there in the third but he saw his last shot at relevance about to go down the drain.

and it was abundantly clear Herb was trying to get the Doc to stop it, he wanted to as the horn sounded but the horn sounded and he was just starting his motion.

The Doc, the corner and Herb all wanted it stopped but becauz Shabaz wouldnt say I quit they let gim get off the stool again.

im good with it

There’s no timeouts though no matter what herb or the doc wanted, it’s literally in their power to stop the fight if that’s the case

calling a timeout is really unfair to brunson

It is also the ref and doctors jobs to protect the fighter. I don’t see how they served either fighter in that situation lol

Edmund shouldn't have let him back out there in the third but he saw his last shot at relevance about to go down the drain.
That’s why there’s checks and balances. Herb should have called it the doctor should have called it. The worst thing anyone could do in that situation is to try to let shahbazyn recover and potentially screw brunson

see: yoel romero vs Kennedy

That’s why there’s checks and balances. Herb should have called it the doctor should have called it. The worst thing anyone could do in that situation is to try to let shahbazyn recover and potentially screw brunson

see: yoel romero vs Kennedy

Agreed. Dr should have been called in end of round 2 not when round 3 is just about to start.

Let me clarify I know refs stop fights to check cuts but even those timeouts generally go very quickly

the doc was in there having a pep talk with him lol

Don't see the problem with the "timeout"

Ref can bring in the doctor at any time, they just wanted to make sure he was still there "neurologically" which he was

Don't see the problem with the "timeout"

Ref can bring in the doctor at any time, they just wanted to make sure he was still there "neurologically" which he was
In between rounds the doctor could have came in right when he sat down. But they waited until the allotted time and then called a timeout to call him in... and then checked on him for quite a while

If you need to check on a fighter that long you should more than likely call the fight. Hate to agree with Dana but he was right— brunson shouldn’t Potentially be penalized for putting the beating on him

youre not wrong.... at all

but theres no stopwatch or running clock. We are on The Drs time as soon as he enters... he took mad long and purposely looked at Shabazs corner. They all wanted to save him

theres needs to be some unwritten, unspoken rule between the fighter and the corner if these guys arnt going to actually respect their fighters well being. Any good corner soesnt let him get up for the third. make up any excuse in the book. he was spent and beatdown

like i said, thats legit career altering. you dont get that invincibility confidence back

youre not wrong.... at all

but theres no stopwatch or running clock. We are on The Drs time as soon as he enters... he took mad long and purposely looked at Shabazs corner. They all wanted to save him

theres needs to be some unwritten, unspoken rule between the fighter and the corner if these guys arnt going to actually respect their fighters well being. Any good corner soesnt let him get up for the third. make up any excuse in the book. he was spent and beatdown

like i said, thats legit career altering. you dont get that invincibility confidence back
I agree with this post it was a little of everyone’s fault imo. But again that’s why there’s checks and balances, if one side messes up there’s two other sides who can come in and make the call

the bottom line is you don’t want to potentially screw brunson who didn’t do anything wrong

It's not the doctors job to call the fight based on giving up

Maybe herb could have asked him if he wanted to continue, but for all we know maybe he did, I don't know

As a viewer, I feel like he gave up mentally in the last few seconds of the first round, but he also went through all the motions of sitting down, standing back up, etc. And I don't think you can just ignore that as a ref

As for doctors judging mental toughness, Id rather leave that in the hands of the ref rather than a doc just calling it straight up the way they can with cuts/vision

It isn’t the doctors job? I’m pretty sure they can say he isn’t fit to continue right.. or else why would he be called in to begin with

to make sure he wasnt suffering from a concussion which he wasnt

Last edited:
Nah he still came out the start of 2nd round trying to pour it on Brunson and throwing heavy shots. It was about midway when Brunson repeatedly got him in the clinch or TD when Shahbazyan looked out of it mentally and physically. Herb could've called it the very last seconds of the 2nd honestly and it kinda looked like he was contemplating on doing so but then just waited for the round to be over. I think Okamoto pointed that out in a tweet last night too and it did stick out. Herb second guessed himself and that can be very dangerous for a fighter.

Goes back to the time factor. Of course there isn’t some black and white deadline but when’s the last time you saw a doctor talk to a fighter that long let alone after the allotted time between rounds

If it takes you that long to make a determination it seems like letting him go back out is weird

Back
Top Bottom