The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- O’Malley v Vera on NOW

I actually prefer that it worked out this way. Dustin deserved the title shot and Masvidal deserves a money fight. They can always fight after the Khabib fight happens.
Won’t be the same tho in terms of the moment. Say khabib beats Dustin convincingly I doubt Dustin will have the same hunger and motivation as he did last year. That version of Dustin was peak

Now if Dustin wins and Nate wins then you’re absolutely right

I still want to see a Khabib and Askren fight but for some reason, I doubt that will ever happen considering Askren is ranked so low now.

I still want to see a Khabib and Askren fight but for some reason, I doubt that will ever happen considering Askren is ranked so low now.

I honestly thought this fight was why he was coming to the UFC. Kinda bungled his entrance to the company but hey if he cant beat Lawler or Masvidal the turn to Maia works for now. Keep him tucked in the wings as a legit B side guy for a card that falls thru

Conor trying to stay relevant. He's better off winning fights with old men in Irish pubs than legit title contenders at this point.

Yea Conor tends to reflect on the past when someone he's fought or beaten does something of note. He did the same thing when Max beat Aldo and lost to Dustin. At this point as much as Conor-Diaz III makes sense and is prob the biggest fight UFC can make I still want to see Diaz-Masvidal more.

Obviously the biggest star the sport has seen. But he’s making himself irrelevant with his legal issues and major time between fights.

Deontay, Fury, Canello, Paqman, Joshua fighting more. Obviously none of them had the Floyd payday but dude just getting older, his contemporaries are getting better with experience.

Conor really feeling left out of the spotlight. Him relenting and saying he'd fight anyone is a nice change of tune. Being so dead set on Khabib when there's no real intrigue yet would have been meh

Firas

“It’s indefensible, there is no defense for this, except (McGregor) is a pathetic, sorry excuse for a human being,” Zahabi said. “How do you punch an old man because he doesn’t want to drink your whiskey? Who can defend this? You punch an old man then you run? What a disgusting display. I don’t care how much money you have or how famous you [are]. If this is the type of person you are then then your value is zero.

“I’m sorry I have to say this. This is an embarrassment to MMA. It’s an embarrassment to us all. When the media says MMA people are animals, when they say MMA fighters are brutal, that they are savages, this is now going to be harder for us to defend.”

“There are so few things I will lose it on. This is one of them. If I was there when this incident happen, believe me, it wouldn’t have went well. I would have got up out of my chair, I would have been very upset. You don’t punch an old person in the face,” Zahabi said.

Colby steady been taking shots at Jorge, I guess they're both in on it because Jorge has ignored it all

“Yeah, you know, it’s a battle of the journeymen,” Covington said. “It’s an exciting fight, the battle of the .500 level fighter. Let’s see, Nate Diaz is 1-1 in the last three years, Jorge Masvidal is 2-2 in the last year or two. So it’s a battle of the journeymen. It’s a battle of the .500 fighters so I’m excited to see who comes out on top.”

“No, not at all. No trouble in paradise,” Covington said. “Have I said anything that’s a lie? Where’s the lie? I’m saying all truth and facts. If someone gets mad at me for saying facts, then you’re living in denial, you’re living in a delusional world. So there’s no beef. He’s still my best friend. We go way back. You don’t know what me and that guy have been through. We’ve been through so much together so I got nothing but respect and love for him. He’s my brother.”

Blah, blah, blah. Just trying to remain relevant.

Meanwhile, Cuban Jesus, Diaz Army, Covington and Cejudo Cringe, Blessed, Khabib and Porier trying to become the man.

I just don’t care. Quit the excesses, quit the outside the ring shenanigans and get back to what made everyone love you in the first place.

If Nate can come back after 3 years and be in the position he’s in because of Conor. You’re kidding yourself if you think that the biggest star the sport has ever seen, who is still young, is irrelevant. He hasn’t fought in less than a year which is far from unusual.

Last edited:
Difference is Khabib broke McGregor mentally and physically. He better be careful on coming back those dudes who really want this are hungry and will really put him into retirement.

His best days are behind him. It only goes down from here.

Firas

“It’s indefensible, there is no defense for this, except (McGregor) is a pathetic, sorry excuse for a human being,” Zahabi said. “How do you punch an old man because he doesn’t want to drink your whiskey? Who can defend this? You punch an old man then you run? What a disgusting display. I don’t care how much money you have or how famous you [are]. If this is the type of person you are then then your value is zero.

“I’m sorry I have to say this. This is an embarrassment to MMA. It’s an embarrassment to us all. When the media says MMA people are animals, when they say MMA fighters are brutal, that they are savages, this is now going to be harder for us to defend.”

“There are so few things I will lose it on. This is one of them. If I was there when this incident happen, believe me, it wouldn’t have went well. I would have got up out of my chair, I would have been very upset. You don’t punch an old person in the face,” Zahabi said.

Conor and his camp going to come back with some subtle racist jab at Firas for sure

If Nate can come back after 3 years and be in the position he’s in because of Conor. You’re kidding yourself if you think that the biggest star the sport has ever seen, who is still young, is irrelevant. He hasn’t fought in less than a year which is far from unusual.
He’s definitely lost a big chuck of his appeal. After bringing so many new eyes to the sport, fans realize there are a bunch of other talented guys on the roster who are ACTIVE.

He’s in a pretty critical place as far as his MMA career goes...i mean he’s made himself a UFC hall of famer but as it stands, he is pretty irrelevant in the LW division and on top of that all the top 5 guys have pretty much moved on from conor.....

He needs a impressive WIN in his next fight or his “star” is going to take another big hit.

I expect a favorable matchup, gathje, pettis or iquinta as a showcase.

All things could change though if porier beats khalabeeb.

He been playing this “im coming back this year” game for a while now, its wearing on fans and even his purists.

I’m in two minds about Conor.

Even though Eddie has always had a shaky chin, the way Conor took that dude apart was clinical. RDA didn’t do that, Poirier didn’t (in the first fight at least), Gaethje didn’t, Gilbert didn’t, Pettis, Cerrone. He made him look like he didn’t even belong in there with him, which a lot of other high level dudes couldn’t do. And of course styles make fights but I can’t imagine that dude wouldn’t have been a problem for everyone at 155.

That being said, I don’t think there’s any chance he ever shows up again looking as sharp as he was before the super stardom and the huge money. And he’s a party guy too, so yeah it’s more than likely downhill from here.

But who knows, Khabib was a horrible matchup for him (like he is for everyone else), so maybe he’ll look a lot sharper against another striker. Won’t completely write him off yet. If he fights again against a pure striker it’ll be very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom