The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

What do ya feel about Tyron Woodley comments on the MMA?

Is he fighting the good fight? Or does it come across as whining by this point?

What do ya feel about Tyron Woodley comments on the MMA?

Is he fighting the good fight? Or does it come across as whining by this point?
Let me preface this by first saying I've been squarely behind Woodley's campaign against the UFC from the beginning. It's clear "T-Wood" was treated differently as a champion by the organization from the start, because of race or otherwise. A prime example is the Fight Pass Twitter celebrating Marquardt's 2012 Strikeforce KO over Tyron. The same guy who still took the Gastelum fight at 183 when Kelvin came in ten pounds over the agreed weight. Since he won the WW belt in the summer of '16, the UFC has failed to adequately promote Woodley in a positive light. I'm no homer, "T-Wood" didn't help himself with the lackluster and downright boring defense versus "Wonderboy" in the rematch. There were opportunities to finish Thompson in the earlier rounds of the first bout. Really unwise to go for the guillotine in the fourth round, completely burnt out his arms and was visibly gassed to close the fight.

I think Tyron has been hurt by two things, a lack of crowd-pleasing opposition and altering his fighting style. The second "Wonderboy" bout really affected Woodley's public image negatively. He only has himself to blame for leading fans to believe he's now an overly cautious, snoozer of a champ. My belief is he's fighting safe for two primary reasons. One is simple, to carefully defend his title without risking another mishap like what happened against Nate in Strikeforce. The other reason is to maintain his leverage as champion. Without the belt, Woodley knows his relationship with Dana White drops his stock very low on the WW totem pole. Additionally, "T-Wood" has gotten unlucky with the state of the division. He destroyed Robbie, eliminating all possibility of an immediate rematch. Beat Thompson once or twice, depending how you scored their first matchup. I greatly appreciate Maia because he likely has the best BJJ in the entire world of MMA, but casual fans will not gravitate to his predominantly grappling style. Condit took 16 months off and "T-Wood" already finished him in '14. Covington is trying to talk his way into a title shot but that matchup doesn't appeal to many. "Gamebred" has lost two in a row. "Cowboy" has lost three consecutively, including one to Masvidal. Santiago Ponzinibbio is far from a household name. Darren Till is getting closer but not quite there yet.

That logically only leaves Nate Diaz, a fan favorite. But both Diaz brothers will only fight for a king's ransom nowadays. When Woodley mentions the possibility and Nate is talking about it too, Dana steps in and rebukes Tyron harshly. Why would "T-Wood" not chase the money fight? Every fighter should, longevity in the brutal sport of MMA is typically nonexistent.

So in conclusion, Dana White is clearly feuding with Tyron Woodley privately while publicly ensuring MMA fans think the situation is Woodley's fault. Are Dana's actions motivated by race? Perhaps, but that I don't have concrete evidence of. I just know Dana is internally hoping someone unseats "T-Wood" at 170 sooner than later.

baldy is a trump supporter so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Tough situation for woodley, the fans and boss aren’t fans of his. He’s not getting support in any direction. Surprised petty dana didn’t have him taken off fs1.

Will Brooks cut by UFC. WOWWWWW
I appreciate "Ill Will" beating Chandler twice in Bellator, but he fights too safely, almost not to lose. Which certainly won't win fans and now that strategy isn't even working in the UFC. In fairness, "Cowboy" Oliveira missed weight and is a true WW anyway. But then Charles Oliveira tapped Brooks standing and finally, you can't be losing to a divisional gatekeeper like Nik Lentz (with all due respect) if the expectation is to be in the title conversation at LW. Just don't think Brooks' striking will ever be on the championship level that seasoned vets like Eddie and Gaethje exhibit.

Bendo has lost 3/4 in Bellator.
In all honestly, Koreshkov was too big a fighter for "Bendo" but he wanted the WW challenge and immediate Bellator title shot. Koreshkov a different animal than the less-experienced Thatch or fighting "Gamebred" close in South Korea. Clear shutout W for Koreshkov against "Bendo."

Frankly there's no way Benson lost his most recent fight against Patricky. I really couldn't find two rounds there for Freire even if I tried, all bias aside. I'm OK with the split loss to Chandler, who faded badly late. Not crazy about Chandler's gas tank, although he did secure the highlight suplex early and also had Henderson stunned with a flurry of rights. "Bendo" should have gotten credit from the judges for an accumulation of leg kicks, a conscious decision and strategy. But the late submission attempt in the fifth round too, had both hooks in.

Benson can't even fight until March due to medical suspension but I accept that he's on the tail end of a stellar career.

...gaethje is who we thought he was, he tries to win by being more durable than his opponents.
True warrior. Nothing but respect for a man willing to go out on his shield literally every bout, all while trying to secure FOTN whenever he fights. Gaethje was looking for his "equal" on Embedded and Countdown, and ultimately found it in Eddie, who is also tough as hell. Free April FOX card is looking pretty strong. "Diamond" is my guy but his striking while improved, is still stiff and robotic compared to a killer like Gaethje. I think Poirier's advantage is he may very well be more well-rounded, slightly underrated grappling. Both guys good wrestlers though. Also got Condit vs. Brown, really thought "Immortal" could have hung up the gloves after the walk-off, highlight reel elbow he landed on Diego. Reis vs. Moraga, plus "Karate Hottie" trying to bounce back after two consecutive losses.

Diamond my guy but his chin is more than suspect and his striking like champ said is very stiff. His head movement is just not enough to make up for this

The move up in weight has him much more energetic and perhaps more pop in his punches I just think gaethje is too much of a savage for Dustin

As for cowboy vs yancy tonight, if cowboy suffers another bad loss it'll be a horrible look. He'll be approaching gatekeeper status if he's not one already

In all honestly, Koreshkov was too big a fighter for "Bendo" but he wanted the WW challenge and immediate Bellator title shot. Koreshkov a different animal than the less-experienced Thatch or fighting "Gamebred" close in South Korea. Clear shutout W for Koreshkov against "Bendo."

Frankly there's no way Benson lost his most recent fight against Patricky. I really couldn't find two rounds there for Freire even if I tried, all bias aside. I'm OK with the split loss to Chandler, who faded badly late. Not crazy about Chandler's gas tank, although he did secure the highlight suplex early and also had Henderson stunned with a flurry of rights. "Bendo" should have gotten credit from the judges for an accumulation of leg kicks, a conscious decision and strategy. But the late submission attempt in the fifth round too, had both hooks in.

Benson can't even fight until March due to medical suspension but I accept that he's on the tail end of a stellar career.

With all that said, Ben lost 3/4 in Bellator.

Which is applicable to the context of that conversation. Even if they were close fights (as Moraes’ and Gaethje’s have been in the UFC).

I like Ben. But it is what it is.

I miss the WEC. In all combat sports I’m a fan of the lighter weight classes.

Loved that abundance of fights at 170 and below (I know they had higher weight classes, but the lighter weights seemed to really be their wheelhouse).

With all that said, Ben lost 3/4 in Bellator.

Which is applicable to the context of that conversation. Even if they were close fights (as Moraes’ and Gaethje’s have been in the UFC)...
I was not addressing the transition between organizations. Quite clearly, only the portion about "Bendo" was quoted hence my analysis solely focused on Henderson. Reading comprehension, folks.

I was not addressing the transition between organizations. Quite clearly, only the portion about "Bendo" was quoted hence my analysis solely focused on Henderson. Reading comprehension, folks.

By the same token, you could have applied “reading comprehension” to my post and spared us the Soliloquy To Benson Henderson :lol:

And I directly addressed what you wrote. Or did you fail to comprehend that as well?

Pulling for Jared Gordon to get another W tonight (on the prelims). Dude been through A LOT.

Was sad to see Liam McGeary take that L. He's got a son on the way too. But damn that dude he fought put in WORK on his leg.

how is yancy even cleared to fight right now? his last one with brazilian cowboy was brutal.

Pulling for Jared Gordon to get another W tonight (on the prelims). Dude been through A LOT.

Welp......

Don't think I've seen a finish like that before. GNP from back mount x chicken wing.

Might be time for Burkman to call it a day.

Last edited:
I miss the WEC. In all combat sports I’m a fan of the lighter weight classes.

Loved that abundance of fights at 170 and below (I know they had higher weight classes, but the lighter weights seemed to really be their wheelhouse).

Kinda wish ufc would divide the company and have events with fights 170 and under. Like the wec again and highlight the smaller weight classes like pride bushido did.

Back
Top Bottom