The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

The Pettis-Silva fight isn't one I was ever clamoring for but that said I wouldn't oppose either. They could make that a Fight Night or featured prelim on a PPV. Would have to be at a catchweight I'd assume.

Spider as the featured prelim? Lol the disrespect

2 names as big as those, garunteed PPV most likely the featured fight before co main or could possibly be a non title fight co main

that is wild

So we are not getting an Izzy fight until the fall?

Wonder if Jorge/Nate really will sit out the entire year

Didn’t Jessica Eye suffer that crazy Valentina head kick KO?

How she the #1 contender?

And Nate sat out a few years. So has Nick. I listened to the TSN MMA show and the host pretty much said the promotion could push Jorge into sitting out if he’s not satisfied with the money or opponent.

Didn't know Yan trained so much with Aldo in the past

“He trained a lot with us, especially me, because we’re both bantamweights,” Dantas said. “He trained boxing and kickboxing, I haven’t seen him do much of ground game in the gym, but this kid always showed a lot of heart. He came from a different team, a different country, didn’t speak our language, but came here and put on great training sessions. He was always there to train, always available.”

“If you stop and look at the strikers they have fought, it’s completely different,” he said. “If Yan fought one guy that is tough on the feet, that’s already too much. You can’t compare. Yan might be younger, he’s coming fully motivated, he trains really hard, but you can’t compare them technique-wise. To me, Junior is way more complete.

“And about (them) training (together), you probably already know how it must have gone, right? Not to mention that Aldo was way heavier and way stronger. Yan weighed around 148 pounds when he came here, he was always skinny. You can’t compare.”

“It’s a good matchup because Yan and Aldo move forward the whole time,” Dantas said. “My hunch is Junior knocks him out in the second round. If he doesn’t knock him out, it would be five rounds of suffering for Yan, getting beat up a lot. Of course that Yan has great cardio and Junior is rising… If I had to guess, I’d bet on Junior by second-round knockout."

She looked terrible on the scale, shaking when she tried to flex :sick:

Roberson missed weight again by 4.5 lbs :lol::smh:

The same Showtime who was on a Wheaties Box.

And that prelims fight was on one of the most stacked cards ever. He fought Cowboy. Fight wise it was mediocre. But the UFC put them on the prelims to grab ratings.

We still don’t know how Izzy did draw wise in that Romero stinker.

And seriously, how is Eye #1 contender?

The same Showtime who was on a Wheaties Box.

And that prelims fight was on one of the most stacked cards ever. He fought Cowboy. Fight wise it was mediocre. But the UFC put them on the prelims to grab ratings.

....in 2014? Not sure how that's relevant to his popularity in 2020.

Matter of fact, the Wheaties Box is one of the worst things that happened to Pettis, he's lost 8 fights since then.

Go ahead and name me a card so stacked that Izzy is headlining the prelims, I'll wait.

Bro. It was strategic. Cowboy/Pettis. Top of the prelims on free TV. To garner ratings. Ratings mean money for ESPN free TV. That’s why they were placed there.

Am I saying Izzy isn’t more “relevant” today? No. He’s the MW champ. And he’s definitely gaining in popularity. But that last performance was lukewarm. And again we don’t have any metrics on his drawing power. So we “assume” he’s more popular than Pettis.

Im saying that Pettis/Silva could be a freak show main event because they’re both popular MMA fighters with highlights and followings.

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware why that fight was placed in that slot.

I'm still waiting for this card that's so stacked that Izzy is headlining the prelims, tho...

Pettis has been on the decline for 6 years, comparing his popularity to someone who just packed out a 60k seat stadium is laughable.

We don't know Masvidal's drawing power w/o Nate, either.

Pettis just as popular as him right now, too?

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware why that fight was placed in that slot.

I'm still waiting for this card that's so stacked that Izzy is headlining the prelims, tho...

Pettis has been on the decline for 6 years, comparing his popularity to someone who just packed out a 60k seat stadium is laughable.

We don't know Masvidal's drawing power w/o Nate, either.

Pettis just as popular as him right now, too?
Just entertaining interesting discussion. I concede. Izzy is definitely Zuffa rising star.

We really can’t compare card placement because Pettis is in decline and Izzy is the MW champ.

No idea on Masvidal. Besides Conor. I’d say JBJ is #2. Followed by Nate and Masvidal.

Back
Top Bottom