The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

leon must be good with money. sitting out a whole yr without a paycheck from the ufc
he really isn't in a position to call his shots, but props to him for standing his ground
not sure what he wants. going from fight nights to main eventing?

Also: exhibit #6,473 as to why there needs to be a union. Don’t know when the fighters finally wake up
Think about it. Conor didn’t fight for a few years and still managed to stick in the top ten of 155. He beat a washed Cowboy. And somehow got thrown into WW rankings.

As had been said before, the rankings aren’t real. Just a narrative and talking point created by UFC.

Think about it. Conor didn’t fight for a few years and still managed to stick in the top ten of 155. He beat a washed Cowboy. And somehow got thrown into WW rankings.

As had been said before, the rankings aren’t real. Just a narrative and talking point created by UFC.
Somewhat true. The rankings don't matter in terms of let's say Leon comes back and agrees to fight Wonderboy or some big name and wins. He's right back on track

On the other hand Leon definitely isn't Conor McGregor so that kind of isn't an apples to apples comparison. Overall I agree with you though. This was a ploy to shame Leon into taking a fight. Again I don't know the details or terms of the supposed reported fights that he turned down so I won't form too harsh an opinion on Leon just yet

The bigger picture is if we as fans are tired of Dana's antics we have to point to the fact that the fighters have no real security blanket. That was my larger point

Khabib first. 155. Needed a towel and looked sad... made it dramatic lol

Also, on Fight Island I'm assuming they're regulating their own events? The dude weighed him on that scale so damn fast lmao he was like yeah you're good bro

170 full of contenders.....can't just sit back and wait, sure he got a win streak but he not exactly lighting the division on fire...

that's how he got leap frogged by gilbert, burns been on a more VIOLENT tear I guess you can say. UFC all about that violence.

Rocky is close, but this is a what have you done for me lately sport.....I can't remember who his last fight was against and how he won...and Im a pretty big MMA guy.....

I think him catching the 3 piece and soda is the highlight of his career so far.....I cant name a "signature" performance from dood.....I'm not even trying to cap either he is a good fighter

170 full of contenders.....can't just sit back and wait, sure he got a win streak but he not exactly lighting the division on fire...

that's how he got leap frogged by gilbert, burns been on a more VIOLENT tear I guess you can say. UFC all about that violence.

Rocky is close, but this is a what have you done for me lately sport.....I can't remember who his last fight was against and how he won...and Im a pretty big MMA guy.....

I think him catching the 3 piece and soda is the highlight of his career so far.....I cant name a "signature" performance from dood.....I'm not even trying to cap either he is a good fighter
You're pretty much right overall but just to clarify- Gilbert Burns jumped Leon because of COVID. Leon Edwards was scheduled to fight Woodley first, before Burns. Then COVID screwed Leon and the card changed from England to the USA. Travel ban ensued and Burns swooped in to fight Woodley

If Edwards fought and beat Woodley he would have gotten the title shot

Yeahhhhhhh thats right now I remember....he couldn't travel here.

All the more reason for him to take a fight and further cement his claim....we all know how uncle dana roll.....look at robert, right back in there....gotta stay relevant.

On the other hand we saw brian sit back in the cut and watch the division play out and catch a title shot on his bounce back

Well see what he want to do....i think he need just 1 big win/knockout to really get that push

Yeahhhhhhh thats right now I remember....he couldn't travel here.

All the more reason for him to take a fight and further cement his claim....we all know how uncle dana roll.....look at robert, right back in there....gotta stay relevant.

This is a subpar comparison.

1. Dana has come out and said this is a #1 Contender's Match

2. Jared Cannonier isn't coming off of a loss right now

3. Robert Whitaker is the former champion which Tyron Woodley was when Leon Edwards was scheduled to fight him

The correct comparison you were trying to make was if they offered Leon Edwards to fight Tyron Woodley NOW coming off of multiple loses.

I understand how Leon can view some of these matchups as just putting him ONE FIGHT away again.

Even if he beats Chimaev, he's still going to be another fight away from getting a title shot

YOOOOO how am I todays years old when im finding out about these strobe training glasses...

Brilliant. im betting on Jared now, between that and Rob letting it slip that he doesnt believe he hits as hard as Cannoneer

Somewhat true. The rankings don't matter in terms of let's say Leon comes back and agrees to fight Wonderboy or some big name and wins. He's right back on track

On the other hand Leon definitely isn't Conor McGregor so that kind of isn't an apples to apples comparison. Overall I agree with you though. This was a ploy to shame Leon into taking a fight. Again I don't know the details or terms of the supposed reported fights that he turned down so I won't form too harsh an opinion on Leon just yet

The bigger picture is if we as fans are tired of Dana's antics we have to point to the fact that the fighters have no real security blanket. That was my larger point
So there isn’t a unilateral approach to rankings lol? Just because it’s Conor McGregor means there’s a multiplier to his place on the rankings. Or if it’s Conor McGregor means he doesn’t have to defend his FW title and the division can get held up? Which it did on two occasions.

I agree with you that the fighters should unionize. And gray areas like rankings, when a title holder has to relinquish their title, fighter pay, etc should be clearly outlined. Hell, it shouldn’t be Dana determining who gets a million behind the scenes and who doesn’t. Cyborg was one of the greatest women fighters. She got treated like crap, paid peanuts and not promoted. While Dana likes DC and offered him fortune, title opportunities, promotion and preferential treatment. Honestly, UFC is not a professional organization.

I agree that not fighting was to Rockys detriment. And he should fight to remain relevant and in the WW contender discussion. I think he’s a huge jump for Chimaev.

Last edited:
Not just Hardy but a lotta folks making a deal of this weight cut. I think I chalk it up to an emotional camp without his father and his response to making weight was like saying thanks to his pops upstairs or him saying I'm going to achieve this for you

I think he'll be energized tomorrow

^^^Looked him up on YouTube. I watched him lose to a guy nicknamed Richard in Jungle Fights. He’s got kick boxing pedigree so hopefully he can make it to Bellator or UFC one day. But it doesn’t always translate to success (obviously Izzy, JJ, Valentina prove it can).

who do you guys have tomorrow regarding the main and co-main?

I got Khabib and Rob (I do want Cannonier to win see he can face Izzy)

This is a subpar comparison.

1. Dana has come out and said this is a #1 Contender's Match

2. Jared Cannonier isn't coming off of a loss right now

3. Robert Whitaker is the former champion which Tyron Woodley was when Leon Edwards was scheduled to fight him

The correct comparison you were trying to make was if they offered Leon Edwards to fight Tyron Woodley NOW coming off of multiple loses.

I understand how Leon can view some of these matchups as just putting him ONE FIGHT away again.

Even if he beats Chimaev, he's still going to be another fight away from getting a title shot
Nahh I knew the comparison I was trying to make.

I never said jared was coming off a loss and I’m well aware rob was a former champ?

what are we saying here?

if robert would have asked for time off after that Till fight dana would have probably looked to make cannonier vs izzy.....but the fact robert want to JUMP BACK IN RIGHT AWAY and cement his claim for a rematch OPPOSED to sitting out and waiting for the division to play out.....HE PUTS HIMSELF in great position for another title shot. Dana is not going to say no, he gets a massive fight he can main or co-main out of thin air....fans like it and the winner has a legit claim at the belt.

opposed to LEON just waiting for DANA to hand it to him. It’s not necessarily WHO he fights it’s HOW HE WINS. He can rack up all the UD’s in a row he wants...gilbert burns startches a couples guys and boom you know what the fans want to see.

He gotta go out there and fight. Other doods ain’t just gonna be sitting around waiting for him to get his title shot know what I mean, they are doing anything they can to leap frog him.

this is a COLD GAME it’s not like other sports where a + b = c

Thats the UFC’s appeal, it’s chaos....and champions operate above the chaos.

Back
Top Bottom