The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Puncher's Chance to me is ability to get the right punch at the necessary moment, like if the opportunity presented itself you get that one shot to drop em. Conor had a "chance" and that was based on the expected power he had shown in MMA. I thought if he had the ability to catch a lucky one. That fell short tho

Ahhh... I see your point. Makes sense! Still 20% is a lot though :tongue: but are we using the base 8 week preparation camp to convert in this subject? How long are we letting each guy train in their cross-over sport?

Ahhh... I see your point. Makes sense! Still 20% is a lot though :tongue: but are we using the base 8 week preparation camp to convert in this subject? How long are we letting each guy train in their cross-over sport?

Since most fighters have trained in their sport for a decent portion of their lives, it kinda don't matter. At best a fighter could train cardio-wise but the technique and reactions is where they will always fall short. Conor could train for a year and still get smashed by mid to high tier boxers.

And those same boxers could do the same and never be ready to react to the different angles folks will go at em.

Unless the fighter has background in that other sport they don't stand a chance and training won't save them.

You follow me that much? I don't recall calling people emotional like you say I do.

And if I do, does that bother you? Childish because I sense you're getting way to defensive over a "what-if" subject. Gotcha!

And I never said you're wrong, so if this is why you're getting all hot & bothered. Get over it!

I replied to someone else, when I responded "He's not...." I wasn't implying that you're just plain out wrong, I was saying that it's NOT just take downs that Boxers have to train for, it's also leg kicks, different type of strikes and angles... ect.

Edit: Meh **** it :lol: Agree to disagree. Let's move on.
I don't follow you at all .. but I have seen your comments since your are often disagreeing with someone.

And how do you sense someone is feeling some type of way over something you are reading? I wasn't hostile .. was just making a point.

all hot and bother? There goes that great school intentionally pun .. trying to imply you have some sort of upper hand because you are calm and collective.

The previous msg was as calm as it could be and look at you ... seems like the type of person that has little friends or needs friends and a woman that is submissive as you can't handle a conversation.

There are so many intangibles in this conversation, it will never boil down to something so simple as MMA guy can't win here or boxer can't win there IMO.

Will always depend on the individual match up. And even then nothing would be certain.

Someone mentioned Errol Spence. This guy is considered a top P4P boxer. Former Olympian. Cardio off the charts. Master at angles, timing, distance, reaction. With power in his hands.

IMO, the striking in MMA for the most part in not at that elite level with very few exceptions. Neither the boxing nor the Muay Thai. I've said this in here before.

Anything waist up I don't think would be an issue. Leg kicks definitely would.

For everything else, you still need to close the distance. Look how hard that was for Ronda with someone pumping a jab/cross in her face.

Conversely, look at what Maia was able to do to Masvidal, who is also a strong grappler.

Too many variables at work to make blanket statements either way.

On that note, Conor made an interesting statement after the Floyd fight. Could just be more theater. But I don't think people realize how much seasoned boxers understand infighting.

"I always told him he was not a fighter but a boxer. But sharing the ring with him he is certainly a solid fighter. Strong in the clinch. Great understanding of frames and head position. He has some very strong tools he could bring into an MMA game for sure."

Last edited:
I don't follow you at all .. but I have seen your comments since your are often disagreeing with someone.

And how do you sense someone is feeling some type of way over something you are reading? I wasn't hostile .. was just making a point.

all hot and bother? There goes that great school intentionally pun .. trying to imply you have some sort of upper hand because you are calm and collective.

The previous msg was as calm as it could be and look at you ... seems like the type of person that has little friends or needs friends and a woman that is submissive as you can't handle a conversation.

:lol: That's exactly what it is broski. You nailed it right on the button. You good now? Got all that off your chest? :lol: Relax and take the time to breathe my brotha.

There are so many intangibles in this conversation, it will never boil down to something so simple as MMA guy can't win here or boxer can't win there IMO.

Will always depend on the individual match up. And even then nothing would be certain.

Someone mentioned Errol Spence. This guy is considered a top P4P boxer. Former Olympian. Cardio off the charts. Master at angles, timing, distance, reaction. With power in his hands.

IMO, the striking in MMA for the most part in not at that elite level with very few exceptions. Neither the boxing nor the Muay Thai. I've said this in here before.

Anything waist up I don't think would be an issue. Leg kicks definitely would.

For everything else, you still need to close the distance. Look how hard that was for Ronda with someone pumping a jab/cross in her face.

Conversely, look at what Maia was able to do to Masvidal, who is also a strong grappler.

Too many variables at work to make blanket statements either way.

On that note, Conor made an interesting statement after the Floyd fight. Could just be more theater. But I don't think people realize how much seasoned boxers understand infighting.

"I always told him he was not a fighter but a boxer. But sharing the ring with him he is certainly a solid fighter. Strong in the clinch. Great understanding of frames and head position. He has some very strong tools he could bring into an MMA game for sure."

True, speaking in general will always be trumped by specifics.

I think Rhonda is like Brock Lesnar in the sake of they don't react well to being hit.

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 3.46.29 PM.png
Nate already hard at work promoting?

These fight threads are more entertaining than a lot of actual fights.

Always a few back and forths going on, :lol:

UFC 215 is a solid looking card (in before but it has DJ headlining). I think DJ makes quick work of Borg and after this he either needs to take a fight at BW or hope that a contender from that division drops down. Other than that Sergio Pettis appears to be the only real challenger. Ben Nguyen impressed in his last fight but does have an L to Smolka surprisingly.

I think we can all agree both would be out of their natural depths in each others rule set

=/=

it would come down to said individual imo

"For everything else, you still need to close the distance. Look how hard that was for Ronda with someone pumping a jab/cross in her face."

i laughed

so irrelevant... the boxer has twice the chance the mma fighter does in their respective sports. they dont call it the sweet science for nothing

the best MMA fighters of all time didnt even start till College or after... BonesJones and mighty mouse. whose more skilled than DJ in the UFC?

meanwhile... name one championship boxer who started half that late. its a skill acquired over time

MMA is still largely about physical tools/attributes

Last edited:
If an MMAer has zero chance in the ring, what's twice the chance of zero

Lot of reaching going on from all parties. Glad we could all keep it unbiased

"For everything else, you still need to close the distance. Look how hard that was for Ronda with someone pumping a jab/cross in her face."

i laughed

so irrelevant... the boxer has twice the chance the mma fighter does in their respective sports. they dont call it the sweet science for nothing

the best MMA fighters of all time didnt even start till College or after... DJ and mighty mouse. whose more skilled than DJ in the UFC?

meanwhile... name one championship boxer who started half that late. its a skill acquired over time

MMA is still largely about physical tools/attributes

Crazy how one post can have some good points surrounded by sheer madness :lol:

Yea he's been talking crazy lately. Which is odd considering he doesn't have a squeaky clean history either.

He said some **** the other day about Jones having 7 kids with 6 women? That was the first I'd heard of such a thing.

On a semi similar note, these UFC Tonight dudes have a wild dynamic. Bisping, Ty and Cormier. Just jawing like crazy about each other off set then casually sitting next to each other for events :lol:

These two are some of the biggest crybabies. If he was such a bad teammate and fighting dirty and ended a teammate's career then they should've kicked him out a long time ago. Guess it was all good until he decided to leave on his own.

IMG_3594.PNG

Back
Top Bottom