The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Welp- with friends I picked

Topuria
Whittaker
Garry
Merab

I’m most hyped for that Garry neal fight outside the main. Crazy matchup and a proving ground for Garry
+ I picked nakamura (was going to be a squash match)

Idk what that parlay would have done but I felt like those were solidly dependable outside of the main

One last nasty fight buildup for colby before he’s taken behind the shed for good

Colby beat Maia lol. So did Kamaru and Woodley. I respect Maia as a BJJ legend but what does any of that mean in a MMA fight.

I’m all for this fight just to see how he does against a wrestler. And the buildup would be a WAG…I mean MAGA.

But…doesn’t Colby have a broken foot or something? I wouldn’t be mad if they did Brady but it would kill another up and comer.

I don’t want to see Garry/WB. Shavkat probably got next for the title. Gilbert has a fight coming up.

This event closed a chapter on like 5 major names

Dern, neal, Costa and Henry are done done. They all fought well but I think it’s clear they’re all done in terms of ever holding a belt

you have Henry most likely retiring

Tough night for coach Eric

Neal is officially a gatekeeper if he wasn’t already. He had some great showings lately but losing decisively to rahkmanov and Garry is a clear indication

Dern and costa are tough as hell but clearly not that 1% of champion material

Volk looked sharp but losing like that after the Islam ko sealed his fate. I know he’s saying he wants the immediate rematch but now we’re just on this sad trajectory. Eugene can’t think getting right back in there is a good idea

Outside of movsar there aren’t any “new” names. I get it

Similar dynamic at 155

Topuria deadpanning is hilarious though. Beating max, yair etc. what does that really do for topurias legacy. He just became champ so I realize it’s crazy to say that but it’s blatantly obvious fair question to ask

Topuria knows there aren’t any new frontiers in the division outside of movsar who nobody is talking about or excited about

Volk dominated everyone already lol they’re just his leftovers

Is crazy how these MMA greats fall! They hit rock bottom and gatekeepers from one day to the next.

Fight game is brutal man. Volk went from giving the 155 lb champ his toughest fight yet and arguably proving he was p4p #1 even in a loss, to “I hope he retires I don’t want to see him get knocked out anymore” in the span of 1 year :smh:

With that said tho, Islam on short notice and a quick turnaround for Ilia even after getting KO’d was terrible career management, no way that didn’t play a part in what happened last night.

It is what it is though. That 35 year old stat keeps piling up evidence. Time for the next generation.

+ I picked nakamura (was going to be a squash match)

Idk what that parlay would have done but I felt like those were solidly dependable outside of the main
Think it would've been about +400 maybe +450. Adding Nakamura would've only made it to about 475 or 500 at most because he was at around -1300.

Garry, Rob, and Merab were all heavy favorites too floating around-270-400.

There is a major reason why the stat is now 1-35 for fighters who won/retain the title aged 35 and up for division at 170 and under.

Luke said that MMA on Point dug deeper into the stat and they noticed the decline in their fights at around 34 years old.

The stats don't lie and you pretty much have about a 3% chance of beating father time within those parameters.

This event closed a chapter on like 5 major names

Dern, neal, Costa and Henry are done done. They all fought well but I think it’s clear they’re all done in terms of ever holding a belt

I wouldn't write Costa off entirely. If he shows up like that he has a punchers chance against anyone in that division.

If the angle of his foot was different when he landed that wheel kick it's probably a different conversation today :lol:

Is crazy how these MMA greats fall! They hit rock bottom and gatekeepers from one day to the next.
I felt like Aldo didn’t fall off too bad. He just literally ran into this MMA’s generation 1a and 1b. He was a good competitor at 135. I didn’t think he lost to Merab (which is crazy).
“The division sucks” right after you win the belt is hilarious
Bull stick. Evloev. Winner of Yair/Ortega. Max is hanging out there. Aljo bout to fight Kattar. Arnold could rehab. It’s a good division. I think Evloev should get the next title fight.
Topuria knows there aren’t any new frontiers in the division outside of movsar who nobody is talking about or excited about

Volk dominated everyone already lol they’re just his leftovers
I can see where you’re coming from. Plus that Paddy fight at 155. My only thing is I’m tired of this champ/champ ish. Relinquish the belt or request UFC make an interim.
Fight game is brutal man. Volk went from giving the 155 lb champ his toughest fight yet and arguably proving he was p4p #1 even in a loss, to “I hope he retires I don’t want to see him get knocked out anymore” in the span of 1 year :smh:

With that said tho, Islam on short notice and a quick turnaround for Ilia even after getting KO’d was terrible career management, no way that didn’t play a part in what happened last night.

It is what it is though. That 35 year old stat keeps piling up evidence. Time for the next generation.
At 35 though…his brain needs to heal. But can his career afford six months or a year off? His mind/brain might benefit but his body is going to continue to age/decline.

I wouldn't write Costa off entirely. If he shows up like that he has a punchers chance against anyone in that division.

If the angle of his foot was different when he landed that wheel kick it's probably a different conversation today :lol:
Yes you’re right about that heel kick

I just think we’ve seen enough now to know what costa is

He couldn’t beat izzy, vetorri and whittaker

He was at altitude but barely even beat a washed rockhold

He’s getting older, probably still having hard cuts and now going to have to go on another win streak to be considered for a title fight

With how stacked the division is I just don’t see the path to become a viable contender again

He couldn’t beat izzy, vetorri and whittaker
Vettori?

I feel like Costa was just showing up for checks during that time. He wasn’t disciplined. That whole weight fiasco with Vettori was ridiculous. He looked like he was in terrible shape.

This was the best he’s looked in a long time. I’d say he came out a winner. Rob Whitaker is probably the third or fourth best middleweight right now. I think they should try to rebook the Khamzat/Costa fight. Either feed him to Khamzat. Or Khamzat rebounds on a big name.

I do agree. He’s not exactly a top five MW. Just doesn’t show enough IQ and doesn’t have enough tools. The kicks were a nice wrinkle though.

300 seems way too early for jamahal to be coming back from his injury.
I said the same thing. He’s looked overweight. Not sure how well his rehab and if he’s fully cleared to train.

Reactions: OTG
Vettori?

I feel like Costa was just showing up for checks during that time. He wasn’t disciplined. That whole weight fiasco with Vettori was ridiculous. He looked like he was in terrible shape.

This was the best he’s looked in a long time. I’d say he came out a winner. Rob Whitaker is probably the third or fourth best middleweight right now. I think they should try to rebook the Khamzat/Costa fight. Either feed him to Khamzat. Or Khamzat rebounds on a big name.

I do agree. He’s not exactly a top five MW. Just doesn’t show enough IQ and doesn’t have enough tools. The kicks were a nice wrinkle though.

I said the same thing. He’s looked overweight. Not sure how well his rehab and if he’s fully cleared to train.
Yes, he lost to vetorri…

Don’t matter what the excuses were he has years of evidence of what he is and I don’t think it shows he’s all of a sudden going to go on a title run

If it were a weak division, sure. But it’s nothing but killers on the upswing ….

I would do Strickland vs costa for sure next

Yeah Costa is what he is man :lol:. He's turning 33, you don't add tools to your game at that age, you pretty much are what you are. Mans also a straight meathead, so him changing teams and trying to get a gameplan going will more than likely confuse him then rather than help :lol:.

Yes, he lost to vetorri…

Don’t matter what the excuses were he has years of evidence of what he is and I don’t think it shows he’s all of a sudden going to go on a title run

If it were a weak division, sure. But it’s nothing but killers on the upswing ….

I would do Strickland vs costa for sure next
I’m not caping for Costa. He’s not a top five contender. He’s not consistent. He's not hungry.

I’m just saying he could possibly beat Vettori if motivated. I’d also be happy seeing Costa fight Cannonier, Strickland, Ikram, etc.
I would like whittaker vs chimaev next as well
I’m okay with this. Rob should win one more before challenging for the title. I also think Strickland should get a rematch. Let Izzy rehab, train.

Back
Top Bottom