The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

Topuria is unfortunately right. Max and movsar at the moment don’t make sense

I think the best realistic route is:

Yair talks **** on ilia all this week, gets a statement win over t city on Saturday and cuts a crazy promo

I think topuria will have to accept this as the best option overall

They do a big Spain vs Mexico build with a heated presser

Have movsar fight someone else and pray that he gets a statement win, possible next defense or let volk get one last crack, or see where max is at that point

Then after that possibly do the O’Malley fight if O’Malley is still champ

Idk 145 at the moment looks a little shallow on new names… Sterling??? Idk

I say it's between Sterling and Yair/Ortega winner. Whoever has the bigger performance coming out.

I really hope they dont give Volk a rematch immediately. His team needs to tell him take off at least 10 months if they care about him. This could turn in to a BJ Penn like end of career with 4-6 Ls straight if he gets folded by Topuria again. Volk don't deserve that man. Save him from himself.

Also…

Brazil ME is Leon/Belal?

That’s crazy. They should’ve just switched the main events for 300 and 301. Brazil gate would be higher and it would give Hill another month.

Man's a star and mainstream in Spain already. That video he posted of all the Spanish people wishing him luck. Those were some of the most legendary and current football and tennis stars man.

The US MMA media should've been getting him over already man.

I won’t lie. These “journalists” rather ask stupid questions like John Morgan (that was for Davey lol). It’s hard to know the cultural relevance of some of these athletes unless you go their page or seek out coverage from their area of the world.

I could tell from the Countdown they had a rocket on that dude’s back. They had him in a bull fighting arena for a lame photo shoot and had him rocking the designer and riding down the road in a nice sports car.

They kind of dropped the ball on their regional expansion. But they definitely have to bring an event to Spain while the iron is hot. Maybe not his title defense but maybe the fight after (since it takes time to book the venues).

Merab got next. The title is coming back to Georgia and Long Island.

Sean predicts like Izzy last year in his rematch to his loss Alex, he will knock out Chito.

Merab more than deserves it and it appeared like he would be out of luck regardless of what he did

Him getting over this week, being cheered everywhere and now pretty much being notched as the next title challenger is amazing lol

This sport is always fickle

I’m really happy for him

I still think a focused and hungry O’Malley can fend off merab enough to make him pay with his striking

Merab is going to have to spam takedowns cuz his standup looks vulnerable

His standup was looking just a little better than trash last night offensively and defensively

Styles make fights I get that. The openings might have been more exposed last night than it would against O’Malley

But I don’t see it going well for merab if there’s long periods of standing

I don’t think O’Malley will be able to keep Merab off of him over five rounds.

Unless he starches him with one shot, which is possible, I think Merab drags him into deep water and drowns him.

Merab vs O’Malley is just gonna be the classic striker vs grappler. Conor vs Mendes, Conor vs Khabib. If Sean can land the shot he wins, if he doesn’t, he gets controlled for 5 rounds and possibly stopped.

I was hating on Merab because of the Aldo fight but I can’t hate at this point. Outwrestling even an older Henry Cejudo the way he did was wild. And dominating Yan was impressive too. Him and Sean will be interesting.

UFC 300 main card is disappointing to me, compared to 100 and 200.

With the exception of Gaethje vs Max, totally lacking in star power.

The co-main event is wildly underwhelming imo.

That being said, there should be some good fights.
Yeah my hot take is UFC doesn't have any stars.. The talent is amazing but doesn't have the star quality..

A lot of these numbers are just depressing to see. 3 fighters still on 10/10. Tafa stepping in on a day's notice for his base pay. Ian only on a 55/55. Henry a former double champ only making 150/150 are only a few of them.

Seen an alleged leaked payout tweet yesterday before the event, it was right

Garry’s deal still seems low for his supposed immediate promotional value

I will say, good for Paulo though. He held out for wanting more money and it paid off. He's on a better 200/200 contract after being on that worthless 70/70 and leaving Waliid scheming ***.

I will say, good for Paulo though. He held out for wanting more money and it paid off. He's on a better 200/200 contract after being on that worthless 70/70 and leaving Waliid scheming ***.
In the last 6 years he’s fought 6 times

Weird career

Still has some fun factor to him but nothing compared to when he first got on. He was almost like a mythical creature on the Francis/chimaev/rumble level

Disappointing to say the least

Get him in there with Shawn or ikram

Wild if Ilia wins then…

I’m pulling for Volk though following his last fight and immediate aftermath about his mental well being.

Does anyone like watching Merab Dvalishvili fight?
I do. Is he a KO or submission artist? No. But that pace overwhelms his opponents most of the time. I thought on paper, Henry was more technical than Merab in stand up and wrestling. Fast forward. Merab picked Henry, the gold medal Olympic wrestler, up and carried him over to Mark Zuckerberg. Shades of Khamzat Chimaev (Khamzat is a much better wrestler and does have KO power just no gas tank).
download-3.png
Prophetic
I hope Volk doesn’t spoil your bets and predictions.
I admit to eating crow today. Ilia had this calmness and patience to him. He just waited for the perfect opportunity to attack or counter Volk. I honestly thought it would be a division not a savage KO in the second round. A Star was born.
Them kicks from Ilia.

Trying to figure out Volk’s game plan. Topuira calm, collected.
I still have no clue what hat the game plan for Volk was besides be busy. And the commentators called out that he keeps his chin high on exits. Ilia gave him that two piece. Career over.

Back
Top Bottom