The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

Dana just took another shot at Woodley asking if anyone's heard from him yet (in reference to Tony calling for a fight with Max) :smh:

Max was really good defensively. He really does know what to do in each situation. That one takedown where it looked like it was gonna be clean Max transitioned his weight at the last second to land on his heels and bring Ortega down with him to a neutral position was beautiful.

And I wonder why he didn’t choke him out in the last 2 minutes of the 4th? Maybe he has that much respect for Ortega’s BJJ even at that stage? Or he just wanted to clock him some more and go for the KO? :lol:

Max proved me wrong big time. I was wondering where his head was at with the depression battle, concussion-like symptoms and weight cut. He was loose from the opening bell. The right hand was landing at will, but the real key to this fight was hand speed. Holloway was on another planet compared to Ortega's hand speed. "T-City" was doing well countering for the first three minutes of R1. But you could tell he started to get sloppy and wild the final two minutes of the round. Was not economical with his punches at that point and did not main composure in the pocket. "Blessed" stymied both of Ortega's takedown attempts in R1. Ortega's shot in R2 was a lazy, lazy takedown attempt. Had no chance of putting Holloway on his back. Max was controlling range with ease and the right was peppering "T-City." But we did see Ortega gain some confidence in his boxing near the end of R2.

R3 was Ortega's best round and the only one he won. Came forward effectively and backed Max up. Got Holloway to stop throwing anything significant for the first 2:30 of the third round. Think Ortega got excited thinking he had Max hurt and rushed to take his back for a submission finish. Holloway ended the round better, back to measuring distance and popping the right hand.

It was a wrap in R4. "Blessed" hit "T-City" with the southpaw stance and the straight left was money whenever Max wanted it. Ortega got mad heart though, went out on his shield. 150% the right call to the end the fight after R4. These are the types of brawls that take years off fighters' careers. I constantly think of Rory Mac vs. Lawler. Those five rounds of punishment took Rory's soul, and even a piece of Robbie, who won.

I'm speculating here but I believe Ortega trusted in his hands way too much. Feeling himself after uppercutting Frankie into oblivion. Part of that is doing his father, Martin, proud with Mexican boxing. Max's TDD was on point, par for the course. He had the guillotine wide-open in R4 when Brian was merely surviving and shooting for takedowns out of desperation.

There's nothing left for Holloway at 145. I like Moicano as much as anybody on this board, but he ain't ready for "Blessed." The scheduled Bektic fight would have been a great barometer for where both prospects truly belong. Nobody wants to see Max beat Aldo a third time and a Frankie bout isn't particularly appetizing either. At LW, you have easy storylines for Holloway to avenge Ls to Conor and/or "Diamond." Plus Max's TDD vs. Khabib's ability to take down and maul opponents. The one I really want to see is "Blessed" vs. Tony Ferguson. "El Cucuy" could exploit some elements I saw in R3 when Ortega was experiencing success against Max in the stand-up. Use leg kicks to chop down the lead leg, which would neutralize Holloway's movement and ability to press forward. "T-City" landed a few unorthodox elbows that I could envision Ferguson implementing. Also just the overall concept of applying pressure so that Max is fighting off his back foot. Similar in some ways to the strategy RDA utilized to neutralize highlight-reel kicks and dominate "Showtime" Pettis.

Different Nina Ansaroff we saw tonight. Whether it's training with Amanda Nunes or her readiness to retire at moment's notice alleviating pressure, evolved fighter from the version we saw beat JJL, Angela Hill and Markos. Nina had Claudinha looking silly in the stand-up, like all her strikes were telegraphed and Ansaroff memorized the choreography. No head movement or feints, Claudinha walked straight in and Nina read it almost every time.

Before moving to LW, It’ll be great if Max defended his belt once more against Edgar or Moicano. I’d say Edgar because that fight failed twice and Edgar deserves one last title shot. That loss to Ortega was an unfortunate setback, but he was the original challenger and let’s face it he’s at the tailend of his career.

If Holloway was to defend and win another title fight, make the move to LW and have his first fight against poirier.

If he passes that, then begin the super fights.

the table is already set!!!!

13 fight win streak since the first loss, washed aldo twice...3 world titles for max, 3 world titles for conor

conor gets a chance to reclaim gold and the 45 throne again, could cement his legacy even further at FW.

Not a bad look for conor after bouncing back from 2 losses...he needs a win.

Max beats conor, he certifies hisself as the UNDISPUTED FW GOAT

BIG FIGHT for both

sign me up uncle dana!!!!!!
DamagedElegantEyelashpitviper-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
the table is already set!!!!

13 fight win streak since the first loss, washed aldo twice...3 world titles for max, 3 world titles for conor

conor gets a chance to reclaim gold and the 45 throne again, could cement his legacy even further at FW.

Not a bad look for conor after bouncing back from 2 losses...he needs a win.

Max beats conor, he certifies hisself as the UNDISPUTED FW GOAT

BIG FIGHT for both

sign me up uncle dana!!!!!!
DamagedElegantEyelashpitviper-max-1mb.gif

Honestly don’t think Conor will do 145 again. Kavangh brought it up again on Rogans podcast that even though Conor won’t admit it, it’s really tough for him to cut the weight for 145 and that they’ve grown past that point and there’s no going back.

That was Conor’s best at FW imo. He was faster and bounced off his feet. He looked good against Eddie, but against Nate and Khabib, he was flat footed and not as sharp. I don’t think Conor wants to go back down to FW. If anything Max vs Conor 2 would be at lightweight

I just finished watching the Max vs Ortaga fight.

A few things, I'm upset this fight was not stop earlier. I guess the older I get the less I want to see a one sided fight especially when one dude is just taking unnecessary punishment.

Max is just that good. Cant believe anyone had this dude as an underdog. He had Ortega looking like he didnt belong in the same ring. Besides round 3, which after round 4 it seem like Max just took it easy, Ortega couldn't do anything.

Hope Oetegas is not Ruin, props for the heart, shame on the Coaching staff and Ref for letting that fight go 3 minutes to long. FOH

I just finished watching the Max vs Ortaga fight.

A few things, I'm upset this fight was not stop earlier. I guess the older I get the less I want to see a one sided fight especially when one dude is just taking unnecessary punishment.

Max is just that good. Cant believe anyone had this dude as an underdog. He had Ortega looking like he didnt belong in the same ring. Besides round 3, which after round 4 it seem like Max just took it easy, Ortega couldn't do anything.

Hope Oetegas is not Ruin, props for the heart, shame on the Coaching staff and Ref for letting that fight go 3 minutes to long. FOH
Agree with not enjoying witnessing a young great prospect take that much damage. It’s a case of a chin being too good for his own good

I told my friends repeatedly that it stopped being fun

Ortega bout to choke this ****in fraud

Max is trash

Ortega bout to snap this chicken neck *****
do you MMA? LoL

Still didnt see you apologize for them dumb comments.

I dont discredit Max, hes world class.
I just felt the trading early cost Ortega.

Got too gassed, incoming punches in the 4th (mentioned earlier).

I felt he should have been patient early in the 1st and 2nd looking for some grappling, instead of taking damage and burning Stamina.
trading? What fight was you watching??? Dude didnt have a choice, it was taken away from him. Max was just tagging him Ortega wasn't, that's not trading, that's being outclass by your opponent.

Lol just going thru the thread after the event. whose mans is this???? Just a string of nonsense
same **** I just did. LoL I'm like wth this dude talking about.

Was it a doctors stoppage or did Ortega quit on the chair?

People said he wasn't responding to his corner

Thus why the doctor "stopped" it

Max proved me wrong big time. I was wondering where his head was at with the depression battle, concussion-like symptoms and weight cut. He was loose from the opening bell. The right hand was landing at will, but the real key to this fight was hand speed. Holloway was on another planet compared to Ortega's hand speed. "T-City" was doing well countering for the first three minutes of R1. But you could tell he started to get sloppy and wild the final two minutes of the round. Was not economical with his punches at that point and did not main composure in the pocket. "Blessed" stymied both of Ortega's takedown attempts in R1. Ortega's shot in R2 was a lazy, lazy takedown attempt. Had no chance of putting Holloway on his back. Max was controlling range with ease and the right was peppering "T-City." But we did see Ortega gain some confidence in his boxing near the end of R2.

R3 was Ortega's best round and the only one he won. Came forward effectively and backed Max up. Got Holloway to stop throwing anything significant for the first 2:30 of the third round. Think Ortega got excited thinking he had Max hurt and rushed to take his back for a submission finish. Holloway ended the round better, back to measuring distance and popping the right hand.

It was a wrap in R4. "Blessed" hit "T-City" with the southpaw stance and the straight left was money whenever Max wanted it. Ortega got mad heart though, went out on his shield. 150% the right call to the end the fight after R4. These are the types of brawls that take years off fighters' careers. I constantly think of Rory Mac vs. Lawler. Those five rounds of punishment took Rory's soul, and even a piece of Robbie, who won.

I'm speculating here but I believe Ortega trusted in his hands way too much. Feeling himself after uppercutting Frankie into oblivion. Part of that is doing his father, Martin, proud with Mexican boxing. Max's TDD was on point, par for the course. He had the guillotine wide-open in R4 when Brian was merely surviving and shooting for takedowns out of desperation.

There's nothing left for Holloway at 145. I like Moicano as much as anybody on this board, but he ain't ready for "Blessed." The scheduled Bektic fight would have been a great barometer for where both prospects truly belong. Nobody wants to see Max beat Aldo a third time and a Frankie bout isn't particularly appetizing either. At LW, you have easy storylines for Holloway to avenge Ls to Conor and/or "Diamond." Plus Max's TDD vs. Khabib's ability to take down and maul opponents. The one I really want to see is "Blessed" vs. Tony Ferguson. "El Cucuy" could exploit some elements I saw in R3 when Ortega was experiencing success against Max in the stand-up. Use leg kicks to chop down the lead leg, which would neutralize Holloway's movement and ability to press forward. "T-City" landed a few unorthodox elbows that I could envision Ferguson implementing. Also just the overall concept of applying pressure so that Max is fighting off his back foot. Similar in some ways to the strategy RDA utilized to neutralize highlight-reel kicks and dominate "Showtime" Pettis.
Great recap. I agree with a lot of your points, especially about Ortega trusting his hands too much. It was a bad matchup for him in my opinion. Everyone was talking about his ground game but Brian's BJJ style revolves around catching opponents in his submissions,especially off his back. It's fine for MMA but it requires outstanding striking to set up (see Nate Diaz and Anthony Pettis)

His BJJ style isn't like Jacare or Maia where they rely heavily on top pressure, passing, and dominant positions. That type of style works when you are only looking to use BJJ as your main path to winning. Therefore, it defaulted to the standup. And max is light-years ahead of him on the feet. Brian definitely got some heavy hands but he's very very prone to getting hit.

Was it a doctors stoppage or did Ortega quit on the chair?

People said he wasn't responding to his corner

Thus why the doctor "stopped" it
Doctor stoppage. It was the right call, corner should have stopped it if the doctor wasn't going to. Renner was pissed at the end :lol:

I also want to see Max vs Tony. Two very similar styles. High pressure and pushing forward, dudes wouldnt leave the center of the octagon

Yeah I like Ortega's BJJ style more than the traditional ones we've seen say like Jacare or Maia and that has to do with Ortega's ability to strike. I believe that Ortega beats anyone not named Max in that division last night

He was ready to die out there and he didn't go down once, I believe even after all of that horrific damage. He actually had Max out of rhythm in round 3 and wobbled him after the show boating

Max is just that damb good

Yeah I like Ortega's BJJ style more than the traditional ones we've seen say like Jacare or Maia and that has to do with Ortega's ability to strike. I believe that Ortega beats anyone not named Max in that division last night

He was ready to die out there and he didn't go down once, I believe even after all of that horrific damage. He actually had Max out of rhythm in round 3 and wobbled him after the show boating

Max is just that damb good
He went down at the end of the 3rd, he just feels into Max so it looked like an attempted takedown

He went down at the end of the 3rd, he just feels into Max so it looked like an attempted takedown
Ah I didn't remember that one. I also just now looked at fight metric and they didn't credit it as a KD, but I believe what you're saying

Anyway, my point is I think Ortega would have beat anyone else in there last night. Even though it was sad watching him take a beating like that, imo it contrasts just how good Max really is right now. Time to further push his limits at 155

I think there's still decent competition at 145 with Frankie and the return of Money Mendes.

However, I think it's too late for those fights. Max is red hot, match him up with the best of the best as he's (entering) his prime

Back
Top Bottom