The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

finishing up his show from today he said bellator "could be on the market" thats pretty interesting, would be cool to see either UFC or PFL scoop it up

Not my video. Ariel low key petty. But it’s funny. Ali and Paddy’s coach the only ones left.

Also good to see Francis throwing kicks. Hopefully we get the fight. But I wouldn’t be mad at Blaydes/Jones either in March.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I hated Dillon Danis before but boy I hope he never gets a fight going forward. Who the heck is looking to see that guy fight anyways. Even if Jake Paul fought him, I would only want to see highlights on IG.

I was listening to the Luke Thomas Morning Kombat show today and Luke said something that I still don’t understand.

He was going on about how ESPN “hammers” the NFL and the NBA over stories involving domestic violence, but has basically ignored the Dana White story, hoping it goes away before they have to do anything. His point seemed to be that ESPN cares too much about its partnership with the UFC and the money it brings.

As though they care less about their partnership with the NFL via Monday Night Football and the dozen NFL related shows they broadcast? As though they value their partnership with the NBA less, with all the NBA games they air?

The reason ESPN devotes more airtime to holding the NFL and the NBA responsible for repugnant behavior is because they know the broader public gives a **** and they’ll be major clap back if they don’t. That and pretty much any coverage about the NFL/NBA, whether positive or negative, generates big ratings.

Most people simply don’t care about the UFC.

Luke Thomas is a smart guy, smarter than me to be quite honest. But I think he’s way off in this one.

Davey Magoo Davey Magoo exactly what I said the other day - general public who watches this stuff/mass media DOES NOT CARE about MMA. Another reason why big stars are so important to the sport

Davey Magoo Davey Magoo exactly what I said the other day - general public who watches this stuff/mass media DOES NOT CARE about MMA. Another reason why big stars are so important to the sport
Totally agree.

But Luke Thomas seemed to be suggesting that ESPN is more afraid of upsetting the UFC or rocking that financial boat, than they are of the NFL.

…which is insane.

Maybe I misunderstood him or he didn’t artic his point clearly enough. But it came across as shockingly obtuse.

Yeah, espn and their personalities openly criticize the nba, nfl, and mlb. Their shows talk about the ufc only if trash mcgregor fights.

Totally agree.

But Luke Thomas seemed to be suggesting that ESPN is more afraid of upsetting the UFC or rocking that financial boat, than they are of the NFL.

…which is insane.

Maybe I misunderstood him or he didn’t artic his point clearly enough. But it came across as shockingly obtuse.
I think the difference here being Dana is not an athlete in the sport and instead is the companies leadership. Now I don’t follow the nfl as closely as I once did.. but have they ever targeted Goodell with criticism, etc? I think that would be a fair comparison or how closely did they cover a Robert Krafts Miami shenanigans ?

I think the difference here being Dana is not an athlete in the sport and instead is the companies leadership. Now I don’t follow the nfl as closely as I once did.. but have they ever targeted Goodell with criticism, etc? I think that would be a fair comparison or how closely did they cover a Robert Krafts Miami shenanigans ?
What do you think ESPN would do if Roger Goodell was caught on tape slapping his wife and pushing her to the ground in a nightclub?

i think it was ariel that brought it up, they put greg hardy on their first show
if i have to guess, espn isn't going to do much. probably let this "die down" given ufc isn't really even talked about on their shows
ya think DC is going to bring it up on his show?

What do you think ESPN would do if Roger Goodell was caught on tape slapping his wife and pushing her to the ground in a nightclub?
Same they are doing with Dana.. not showing it. Since it doesn’t have to actually do with the athletes in the sport?

Same they are doing with Dana.. not showing it. Since it doesn’t have to actually do with the athletes in the sport?
Not a chance.

It would be the lead story on every major ESPN show. If for no other reason than the public would expect it.

…as opposed to story number 27 on the ESPN website.

Robert Sarver, the owner of the Phoenix Suns, was reported to have a “toxic” work environment. It lead to an investigation and he’s selling the team now.

Then there was plenty of coverage of the Ime Udoka situation at the Boston Celtics.

Nick Friedal and Pablo Torre were on Kyrie Irving after that tweet.

Can’t remember much about say the Washington Commanders coverage.

But it definitely seems like they pick and choose.

Nobody cares about mma like that lol

The athletes have done horrible crimes and the public doesn’t bat an eye. Doesn’t matter who reports what, it’s almost expected for mma folks to do stuff like this

Jake Paul is going to compete in mma, lmao

Good on him for trying and good on pfl for at least drumming up something interesting

espn has openly criticized roger goodell, adam silver, and mlb commissioners. They have no reason to protect them or any of the owners from negative press. Only time I remember an espn employee getting in trouble and suspended was when jemele hill said advertisers should stop giving money to jerry jones and the cowboys.

She also got in trouble for criticizing Trump lol.

Luke on the LeBatard show brought up a good point. This is typical of combat sports. They’re not really policed and in the mainstream zeitgeist.

Back
Top Bottom