The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

That Porier 2 fight was on a bit of short notice, iirc. They were trying to get Tony in a fight for the Interim first because Khabib refused to fight in Vegas with the whole Conor **** that went down.

He's probably been prepping for this Gaetjhe fight since Novemberish. Max/Justin, Charles/Arman, and Yuseff/Lopes are probably the top 3 fights I'm looking forward to on 300 so far. All 3 are easily FOTN contenders.

That Porier 2 fight was on a bit of short notice, iirc. They were trying to get Tony in a fight for the Interim first because Khabib refused to fight in Vegas with the whole Conor **** that went down.

He's probably been prepping for this Gaetjhe fight since Novemberish. Max/Justin, Charles/Arman, and Yuseff/Lopes are probably the top 3 fights I'm looking forward to on 300 so far. All 3 are easily FOTN contenders.
Yeah I just looked back out of curiosity, I'm still trying to piece together why there was an Interim LW fight made to begin with lol

So Khabib beat Conor in October 2018 and the Max vs Dustin Interim fight was April 2019.... wtf? I know Dana always makes Interim fights but I am trying to figure out why this was made 6 months after the undisputed title was claimed lol

This is the answer, adding a little bit to your post... damb, both Max and Dustin were peaking when they met.. Max had just pummeled Ortega and Dustin had just beat Justin and Eddie:

"Nurmagomedov received a nine-month suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the aftermath. The Dagestani champion is eligible to return in July; however, he has stated he’s willing to wait out with teammates who have been suspended one year and he refuses to fight in Las Vegas. Due to all this, an interim championship has been deemed needed.

The plan was for former interim champion Tony Ferguson to face off against Holloway at UFC 236, but Ferguson refused the bout, wanting to fight for nothing but the actual world title. Holloway will now face Poirier, with the winner slated to fight Nurmagomedov at some point in late summer or during the fall. The two faced off back at UFC 143 in 2012, with Poirier victorious via first-round submission, marking the first loss of Holloway’s pro career.

Holloway is currently on a 13-fight win streak, winning the interim featherweight title at UFC 206, unifying the title at UFC 212 and making two defenses. He has not lost since back-to-back decision losses to Dennis Bermudez and McGregor in 2013. Poirier has not lost in his last five bouts (four wins and one No Contest), with his last loss coming to Michael Johnson in September 2016. Since then, Poirier has defeated Jim Miller, Anthony Pettis, Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez."

Mike Heck was saying that Danny Rubinstein (manager of DDP, Shavkat, Yan, and others) said that they had planned the call out of Izzy only if they knew Izzy would be ready. If he wasn't then they didn't want to waste a call out and would've went Alex or maybe Khamzat. They ended up getting word that Izzy would be ready and proceeded with the call out.

Getting real interesting now and I'm betting that we get that main event announcement within the next 2-3 weeks.

That makes you old too!

😂
Haha.....I know. I thought Anik was like 50. Or maybe I think all broadcasters are older than they really are cause of that profession. At least with DC, I know he's within age cause he retired from fighting not that long ago. I thought Anik was close to Rogan's age.

Mike Heck was saying that Danny Rubinstein (manager of DDP, Shavkat, Yan, and others) said that they had planned the call out of Izzy only if they knew Izzy would be ready. If he wasn't then they didn't want to waste a call out and would've went Alex or maybe Khamzat. They ended up getting word that Izzy would be ready and proceeded with the call out.

Getting real interesting now and I'm betting that we get that main event announcement within the next 2-3 weeks.
I still say it’s trash that the ufc would depend on ddp or Strickland winner to turn around for 300 but I’m not complaining if it turns out to be the headliner

Ddp has been way more authoritative about his willingness and desire to fight at 300. So no excuses about a quick turnaround

And if it happens I feel like nobody can make a great case for izzy or ddp for sure winning

It’s a very close matchup all things considered

And if it happens I feel like nobody can make a great case for izzy or ddp for sure winning

It’s a very close matchup all things considered
I absolutely love the matchup. DDP fights like a technical maniac and will bring the fight out of anyone. Like as much love as Strickland gets from the incels, that man is boring as **** to watch. It's amazing that he brought out a fun *** fight from Sean. So I'm confident in saying that he'll bring the best out of Izzy when they fight.

With or without a title, him vs. Khamzat and Costa are 2 fights I absolutely need.

I absolutely love the matchup. DDP fights like a technical maniac and will bring the fight out of anyone. Like as much love as Strickland gets from the incels, that man is boring as **** to watch. It's amazing that he brought out a fun *** fight from Sean. So I'm confident in saying that he'll bring the best out of Izzy when they fight.

With or without a title, him vs. Khamzat and Costa are 2 fights I absolutely need.
Ddp made it entertaining because he didn’t succumb to Stricklands pressure

I didn’t find the strickland izzy fight entertaining whatsoever because izzy got scared and stopped fighting

Imo Strickland fought virtually the same exact style in the izzy fight as the ddp fight

Ddp not only kept fighting he took a decent amount of damage by going forward

This is what makes the izzy fight interesting. Strickland had that pretty solid defense against izzy where as ddp will just absorb damage. That isn’t good recipe to fight izzy

But I also think ddp’s pressure is as good or better than Stricklands mixed with better power and actual threat of takedowns (granted sean got up every time)

Strickland was also actually sitting down on a lot of his punches in the DDP fight too. Those 1-2s were hitting much harder because of that. When he fought Izzy it was a lot more moving and punching where they thought Izzy would be. Didn't realize how bad DDPs eye was til I rewatched the fight. Man's had a baseball on his eyelid.

Back
Top Bottom