The myth is real: E.T's have been unearthed from New Mexico desert today.

According to urban legend, a massive stockpile of Atari gear — including truckloads of the notoriously awful game E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial — has laid buried in a New Mexico landfill for over thirty years. Today, that story is no longer a myth. Construction crews have uncovered copies of the Atari 2600 game at a landfill deep in the New Mexico desert, near the city of Alamogordo.

Back during the so-called video game crash of 1983, a struggling Atari was stuck with truckloads of the game and other unsold hardware. With little recourse and a crashing interest in video games in North America, the company decided to dump its excess merchandize into a landfill, according to reports at the time. The story was never confirmed, however, and it's carried on as a legendary tale from a time when video games were near worthless. It reportedly cost Atari millions to get the rights to produce a video game tie-in to the incredibly successful Steven Spielberg film, but the resulting E.T. game was a massive flop and it's considered one of the worst titles of all time.

Today's dig became a reality thanks to an upcoming documentary, produced by Microsoft's Xbox Entertainment Studios. The documentary, which will focus on the changing landscape of the video game industry, is expected to come out next year, and is part of a broader push by Microsoft to produce original video content for Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners. Its biggest project is a live-action Halo TV series connected to Steven Spielberg.

View media item 939770
View media item 939773

Last edited:
i mean cool find but i wish people would stop using ETs to make jokes...they are real and have profound impacts on our lives...

I keep telling people we aren't alone. This universe is too big for us to be the only life form around.
%D8%B6%D9%81%D8%AF%D8%B9.jpg

op i hate u for that thread title

i hate ur guts. i hope all the bad things in life happen to u

i hope u hit ur pinky toe on a door

if i see u im throwing bacon fat at u

/silkyjohnson :rolleyes :D 8) :smh: :x :smokin :nerd: :tongue:

just read this on yahoo

would love to see a shot of all the games

are people allowed to take em? :nerd:

laugh.gif
 at people thinking we found aliens

I remember watching a video of someone playing the ET game in some worst video games of all time thread 

and then reading the story of the games being buried in a landfill

Cool they found them 

:lol: Im just imagining "what if we actually did find ETs buried in the NM desert?".....

and then I thought "how fitting that I'd first hear that news on NikeTalk".

:lol:

Biggest discovery in human history, and I would've heard it here first. :rofl:

Seriously tho? Mankind would never be ready for such a discovery being unearthed and exposed on mainstream media. Pandemonium would follow, riots would ensue, entire cities would burn. Religious nutjobs would lose their minds.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
Im just imagining "what if we actually did find ETs buried in the NM desert?".....

and then I thought "how fitting that I'd first hear that news on NikeTalk".

laugh.gif

Biggest discovery in human history, and I would've heard it here first.
roll.gif

Seriously tho? Mankind would never be ready for such a discovery being unearthed and exposed on mainstream media. Pandemonium would follow, riots would ensue, entire cities would burn. Religious nutjobs would lose their minds.
basically..

I saw gameplay footage, and this game was horrible. They made the right choice burying them.

I actually had this game when it came out..Thee most frustrating fame of all time..:smh:

Back
Top Bottom