The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

i have no horse in this race but i read that they polled over 500 native americans and 90% said they don’t feel offended by the name at all. and that there’s even some that said they actually like the name

i have no horse in this race but i read that they polled over 500 native americans and 90% said they don’t feel offended by the name at all. and that there’s even some that said they actually like the name
13C9BCD4-F73B-4B23-A316-B46BF3375314.jpeg

Last edited:
yea snyder been pulling shady shh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c03fd0-baeb-11e5-b682-4bb4dd403c7d_story.html

yea I don’t think 500 is a big enough sample size
I think technically it is (sample size) but there is context to that 90% in the article below and new data shows a majority find it offensive anyways

Washington ********’ name, Native mascots offend more than previously reported

Can we just let this offensive, racist, bigoted and ignorant **** die. None of us will miss these names, chants, logos or mascots

That includes Tomahawk chants and whatever else. Sports, franchises and fans cheering their respective teams will manage.

I can only speak for the Lakota people living in or around Pine Ridge rez but they could care less about a sports team name that for all intensive purposes might as well be located on the moon. When you are dealing with immediate and devastating issues like below a sports teams name is trivial.
  • Tuberculosis: 800% higher than America as a whole
  • Infant mortality: 300% higher than America as a whole
  • Teen suicide: 150% higher than America as a whole
  • Approximately 85% of Lakota families are affected by alcoholism
  • Approximately 58% of grandparents of Lakota families are raising their grandchildren
  • Approximately 50% of adults over the age of 40 have diabetes
  • (data collected from a 2017 health census on the rez)
That name should have been brought down years ago but because Native peoples don't collectively have the kind of voice both personally and politically to accomplish anything it has been brought up, discussed and then swept up under the rug. Symbolically it would be an accomplishment but that is only .1% of the real problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom