The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

A promised neverland has me on the edge of my seat. How far along is the Manga because I can't wait weekly for this show.

as far as luffy goes. people do forget or underestimate the fact that his rubber body doesn't take as much damage as should be dulled out and that's his biggest advantage. Katakuri for example should've made mince meat out of him by now.
I've been saying Jinbei still right now is more powerful. I mean when are they not around some type of water. I think snakeman can eventually get the best of a lot of people but still not completely stronger.

As far as Zoro. I think Oda wants to leave that up in the air. I don't think we'll ever have a full answer to just how strong Zoro is. I just think he has a different set of skills. They may be 1a and 1 b. The power is very close.
I think Sanji is a very very close 2. Remember he doesn't use his hands at all, but we know he got them skills with the Knife I feel like if he ever did that may put him right up there with the 1 C

I think Sanji is a very very close 2. Remember he doesn't use his hands at all, but we know he got them skills with the Knife I feel like if he ever did that may put him right up there with the 1 C

nah sanji just trash tbh. remember his leg bone cracked or started shattering when he received a kick from Vergo.. and that was haki on haki contact too.

Debating if I want to jump in this conversation. Not really fan of power level discussions, but I don't think either of you are quite right either.

nah sanji just trash tbh. remember his leg bone cracked or started shattering when he received a kick from Vergo.. and that was haki on haki contact too.
But sanji was still a fairly new haki user. vergo was supposedly one of the best arnament haki users we knew at the time

But sanji was still a fairly new haki user. vergo was supposedly one of the best arnament haki users we knew at the time

but how are we gonna rank sanji that high when im almost certain luffy n zoro couldve taken him out with no problem?

also, i think Usopp is a sleeper— The vision haki he tapped into in Dressarossa was impressive. That might be developed into a gamechanger

Debating if I want to jump in this conversation. Not really fan of power level discussions, but I don't think either of you are quite right either.

im not surprised either way because ever since the new world, everybody's power rankings have been all over the place. nobody knows how strong anyone is smfh

but how are we gonna rank sanji that high when im almost certain luffy n zoro couldve taken him out with no problem?

also, i think Usopp is a sleeper— The vision haki he tapped into in Dressarossa was impressive. That might be developed into a gamechanger

im not surprised either way because ever since the new world, everybody's power rankings have been all over the place. nobody knows how strong anyone is smfh

Well Oda doesn't care much about power levels anyway. There's fundamental things he adheres to, but overall he doesn't care too much about them. Overall he care more about matchups and the battle situations. I have the rankings Luffy, Zoro, Jinbe, Sanji, Franky, Robin, Brook, Usopp, Chopper, Nami. The middle members are fairly interchangeable, especially Robin since Oda never gives her fights. So if people move Usopp up or Brook up or Robin down, etc. I wouldn't argue. I might even put Nami about Chopper.

I do think the top 4 are pretty clear, what's not clear is the gap between the ones at the top.

The whole Sanji vergo fight, you could say that Sanji came into the battle already hurt. He commented on how much damage his body had taken when Nami was in it. Vergo wasn't a pushover or anything, but Sanji has definitely put up a very poor portray since the timeskip. He hasn't finished off anyone of consequence.

Sanjis worth is the role that i feel jinbei has now being a bit more cool headed and strategic.

Oda treats this fights like the game destraga (we've talked about this before. Power beats magic. Magic beats speed. Speed beats power .
We do now know that kaido mom and shanks cant really be f ed with . Thats why it also took so many people to take down an already sick whitebeard.

I still have kuzan high up there. His power with the ice. If he created that 4th power thing like katakuri and fflamingo. Id feel he be pretty unstoppable

Sanjis worth is the role that i feel jinbei has now being a bit more cool headed and strategic.

Oda treats this fights like the game destraga (we've talked about this before. Power beats magic. Magic beats speed. Speed beats power .
We do now know that kaido mom and shanks cant really be f ed with . Thats why it also took so many people to take down an already sick whitebeard.

I still have kuzan high up there. His power with the ice. If he created that 4th power thing like katakuri and fflamingo. Id feel he be pretty unstoppable

Yeah in One Piece "magic" is an OP thing while speed and power can be found everywhere. They even talk about the need of balance of speed and power in fights fairly regularly. But match ups are key and nothing is fully set in stone unless you have an overwhelming opponent like an emperor or admiral. As I go different places online the way people interpret the One Piece power scale is all over the place.

Kuzan is a top tier character. I'm sure he's awakened the question is what does an awakened state even look like for logias?

Sanji's role should still be on the fly strategies. Jinbe is more wisdom, experience, and is the helmsman. I don't think there will be issues in role.

Yeah in One Piece "magic" is an OP thing while speed and power can be found everywhere. They even talk about the need of balance of speed and power in fights fairly regularly. But match ups are key and nothing is fully set in stone unless you have an overwhelming opponent like an emperor or admiral. As I go different places online the way people interpret the One Piece power scale is all over the place.

Kuzan is a top tier character. I'm sure he's awakened the question is what does an awakened state even look like for logias?

Sanji's role should still be on the fly strategies. Jinbe is more wisdom, experience, and is the helmsman. I don't think there will be issues in role.
I agree.
I also think Oda makes it up as it goes. so who knows.
I'm still interested in your take though.

glooks g

iunno son.. they showed zoro n luffy to be equal against each other multiple times, leaving it as inconclusive. in this new world thing though, i dont think luffy could've taken out Pika. but zoro has respect for his captain and removes the obstacles for Luffy to go take on the boss

i honestly think Zoro wouldve had an easier time against Doflamingo. Luffy really has to go monkey around to defeat the bosses most of the time.

Jinbe, if i remember correctly, he and Luffy got into a fight in Fishman Island, and it ended up being a tie after they both beat each other up bad. against Big Mom, Luffy's punch did nothing to her, and she one-shotted G4 Luffy. Jinbei was able to defend against Big Mom's sword and also landed a clean hit on her (even though she's been hungry... but she's been psychotic too). I think it's purposely done for us to question how strong they are to keep us guessing, probably a strategy by Oda.

however, it is evident that Sanji isnt even in this conversation since he gave it his all against Luffy, and Luffy didnt even fight back, and still got up n stood there, n proceeded to fight an entire army right after.

with zoro, jinbe, and luffy, it seems purposely done to keep us guessing or questioning, which to me means that the author is saying they're even (or it'd depend which environment... jinbei wins if it's in the sea, zoro wins if it's on land, luffy wins if the opponent is too cocky and takes him lightly gives him chances to recover or there's a distraction or a maze that he can use to give him more time and confuse the enemy)
Curious where Jimbe will fit in the power structure. I think he will stay stronger for the short term being he is older, however I think eventually Luffy and Zoro will be the only ones to surpass him. Possibly a toss up with him and Sanji.

I agree.
I also think Oda makes it up as it goes. so who knows.
I'm still interested in your take though.

Depends on the arc. Oda definitely makes stuff up as he goes along. I think his editors have stopped trying to reign him in, at least when he has a young editor, like with Dressrosa. From Saobody thru Marineford he had an experienced editor and you see the difference. But Oda feels the need to one up each villain especially if he hears people saying they don't seem strong enough then he'll go bigger, which is something he mentioned in an interview. After Kaido made his debut in the series he said he have no idea how Luffy is going to beat this guy. But with Wano he already has the entire arc planned, so there won't be much if any freestyling. But Dressrosa and maybe the Katakuri fight I feel Oda making it up as he went for the most part. Like he had G4 and things planned, but I think there was plenty he didn't. He has notebooks of ideas and plans for arcs, moves, and characters, but then pulls and constructs from there.

Oda when he started was more concerned with the story being really tight and not having plot holes and what not, but as he's gotten older he's gotten less concerned with that for the most part, but knows his fans care about it. But his concern is more emotional impact and is this moment cool. So it doesn't surprise me the power scale is messy, but I'm sure he definitely feels Luffy is the strongest in the crew and Zoro isn't terribly far behind. Idk how he feels about Jinbe other than liking him in general.

he def has been making it up on the fly since the second half of Dressrosa. The first half was excellent. When he changed trebols devil fruit I knew something was up. Same with katakuri....and now I think he changed ideas on kings devil fruit too

tdogg2k tdogg2k What were your general complaints about MHA? I finished my re-read last night. I'll share my thoughts later today.
Short answer cuz im tired...it just doesnt pull me in.
Id like to hear your take. Ill see if i can find my earlier complaints

So to start out MHA is a good series, with a lot of great things going on. The most important metric is if it's interesting and it's certainly that.
Good things: Midoriya is a good main character. A main character can make or break a series. For example, I think Hitman Reborn has a ton of good stuff in it, but I'd never recommend it cause I hate Tsuna so much that it sours the series for me. Midoriya is a good and likable character, but at times he's too perfect. It's realistic that his confidence has grown through experience, but he hasn't had a real personal crisis to test him yet. He's had the issues controlling his powers and it seems like with the new quirks activating that seems like it will come again, but I'm waiting on the things that will test him in a new way. Midoriya is over relied on or over utilized. Yes, he's the main character but the rest of the cast is so big and ripe with potential that he could be given a back seat at times.

The rest of the cast is really good for the most part. Outside of Mineta all the characters are pretty easy to like. But it makes you want more for them, which is a weakness I'll get into later. The world has slowly been expanding showing us more pros. Horikoshi I feel started hitting his stride in the Overhaul arc, you see do more interesting things with the art and start putting his stylistic touch on panels. So I'm hoping as the story continues that confidence will continue to extend to how the supporting cast is utilized.

The powers are interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing a few things 1. These new hybrid and advanced powers the younger generation have. This will be a big factor with midoriya having 6 quicks. 2. The import of quirk boosters from the US. Not sure if this will happen, but I think it will. 3. The hero teams forming and the subsequent power interactions and how that will change the dynamic of the hero world and villain world. 4. The government org and their involvement in everything. We haven't gotten much from them yet, but their involvement has gradually grown.

The story overall is solid. It has a lot of potential in how it can develop. So with all these pieces available I want to see exactly where Horikoshi takes it. Obviously theres going to be the League of Villains clash, but I don't see the progression being so linear to that point. At least in my opinion it doesn't need to. Things make sense as well there's no out there leaps yet. I actually really like One for All giving Midoriya more quirks, because I had been asking myself all the previous owner probably weren't quickless, so what happened to their quicks when it was passed down. So the story is over 200 chapters in and still has lots of potential, so it's easy to see why people are so excited about it.

The bad: My biggest complaint as I was reading the series and the thing I felt holding it back from really being great is it feels shallow. If I had to guess this is tdogg2k tdogg2k problem with the series. The storylines could go deeper, you could dive deeper into all the cast, you could dive deeper into the world, basically everything you could go deeper, but we start at or just below the surface and don't fully tap into it. I felt in the overhaul arc we started getting more depth. The school festival was fun, but I felt it was also a missed opportunity. It seemed like Jiro was going to get love. It would have been a nice arc to really explore the side characters outside of Bakugo and Todoroki and Kirishima.

Even in the overhaul arc, which Kirishima got development and spotlight, but Tsuya and Urakara didn't which was a huge missed opportunity. Both are great, but got overlooked. So it's just missed opportunities. And it happens a lot with the character interactions going back to being shallow. They're all resolved too easily, there was a part where they moved into the dorm and Tsuya excused herself then later says she wants to apologize for something she said and reset the relationship, but there was no indication it was needed or a big deal outside of a off hand panel. It's shallow interactions that are said to be meaningful that hurt the series a bit. So it's something that could be fixed easily enough to really bring out the series potential, who knows if it will.

The pace I feel most people probably see the series pace as a strength, because it's fast. This could be a bias since I was reading it in chunks rather than week to week. I see it as a weaker element due to the reason above. To keep the pace up things are glossed over, situations aren't explored, tension between character relationships aren't built, teenage relationship aren't this cheery and simple, students aren't really failing or struggling. When you push the pace the way it is the small things that can really help round out and elevate the series lost of don't hit.

Villains: I think we can and should get a lot more here. Where are the super villains outside of All for One and now the rise of Tomaru? I get All Might was taking out a bunch of them before his injury, but more should have risen up. There should be bigger more established villains. Stain inspired a new class of villains, but where are all the OG villains that rivaled heroes? Right now the latest Nomu have been bigger threats than a lot of villains. I like Toga, I want to see more of Dabi, but the villains should show much more going forward is my hope. I'd like to see what happens to kids that get expelled or high potential ones that don't want to be heroes turn to villainy. It's just weak dynamic of the story so far.

Overall: it's a fun and interesting series with a ton of potential that can be tapped into to make it really great. I'm optimistic Hirokoshi will start doing so as he gains experience and confidence as a mangaka and the series being so popular should allow him to take more risks.

Is it too late to watch the one piece anime now? I know. Smh.
Nope. The series isn't ending soon or going anywhere, so there's no rush to catch up. Skip the filler arcs and watch it at a pace you enjoy. If the in canon filler and padding like drawn out scenes and what not get to be too much then switch to onepace

Back
Top Bottom