THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

great game last night

- The guards, great games minus a few Austin TO's. at around the 6 minute mark and up 9...horrible possession to begin with and Chris ends up with the ballwith the shot clock running down. He started to go baseline and old Chris would have let it go or continued to the hoop and forced a layup, instead he'skeeps his dribble alive, straddles the baseline and hits Jason in the opposite corner with a great pass...and Jason drills it.

Love to see the transition he is making

Jason was great. both ends. He and Chris locked Hazzell down. Austin just goes about his business and you look and he's got damn near 20.

- Julian, again.
pimp.gif

- Henry Sims...welcome...really pulling for him. nice step forward last night.

- Loved the play by Vee to end the first half. I think he's gona be good, he's just stuck behind 3 damn good guards.

- Greg's presence is worth points, regardless of what his box score shows. They were losing steam quick in the 2nd half without him. Its as noticeable ondefense as it is on offense. * +%@! John cahill.

III has had success vs Jay Wright, hope it continues Sunday.

aside from the lull in the 2nd half where we went from 19 up to 7 up....pretty good effort. really kept dumbo in check which was huge. when he hit that firstshot of the game, it was like, damn here we go. you're right about greg, allen. as soon as he came back in, we got things under control and built that leadback up again. good to see clark really contribute last night. julian continues to just do his thing. glad sims got to log some minutes...would be nice to beable to use him more often and get him some more PT. that block he had was [tigerwoods]huge[/tigerwoods]. the bar went nuts. but overall, we won a game weshould have won, and we did it convincingly after all was said and done.

can't wait for sunday

GU VS NOVA GAME PREVIEW (THANKS, ESPN.COM

When Scottie Reynolds decided to withdraw his name from the NBA draft last June, Villanova coach Jay Wright said the former Big East freshman of the year wasfocused on becoming a great senior leader. Reynolds has done that so far, but leading the Wildcats to their first victory over Georgetown since 2007 would makereturning for a final collegiate season that much more special.

Reynolds and fourth-ranked Villanova look to snap a five-game slide in this matchup Sunday when they face the 11th-ranked Hoyas at Wachovia Center.

After leading the Wildcats to their first Final Four appearance since they upset the Hoyas in the 1985 national title game, Reynolds passed up the chance atthe NBA last summer to complete his college eligibility.

"I'm blessed to be in the situation I am in," Reynolds said. "I'm happy to be back at Villanova."

And the Wildcats (15-1, 4-0 Big East) are thrilled he decided to return. Reynolds scored 30 of his season-high 36 points in the second half, including histeam's last 16 points in the final 5:48 on Monday when Villanova rallied from a 17-point first-half deficit to win 92-84 at Louisville. The Wildcats areseeking their first 5-0 conference start since 2002-03.

"We probably got more out of (Reynolds) than we deserved," said Wright, whose team is off to its best start since it opened 17-1 in 1963-64."He's done this stuff before. The kid is great."

Reynolds, who is hitting a career-high 50.3 percent from the field this season, is averaging 22.3 points and shooting 65.6 percent during the Wildcats'six-game winning streak. He is ninth on the team's all-time scoring list with 1,921 points.

Junior guard Corey Fisher (12.
glasses.gif
, forward Antonio Pena (11.5) and sophomore Taylor King (10.
glasses.gif
are also averaging in double figures for the Wildcats, who areamong the nation's top scoring teams at 84.8 points per game.

Villanova is averaging 89.3 points and shooting 52.4 percent since its lone loss at Temple on Dec. 13, but the Wildcats' high-octane offense could betested against Georgetown's stingy defense.

The Hoyas (13-2, 4-1), winners of two in a row, are holding teams to 38.9 percent shooting and 59.6 points per game -- second in the Big East. In theteams' only meeting last season, Georgetown limited the Wildcats to 33.3 percent from the field and a season-low 15 field goals in a 56-54 victory atWachovia Center on Feb. 28.

Reynolds, who scored 12 points on 2-of-10 shooting in that matchup, is averaging 15.7 points in six career games versus Georgetown. He had a team-high 16 inthe Wildcats' last victory in this matchup -- 56-52 in the nation's capital on Jan. 8, 2007.

In addition to their stifling defense, the Hoyas are efficient offensively -- they are among the nation's best from the field at 49.9 percent. Georgetownshot 68.2 percent in Thursday's 85-73 victory over Seton Hall, a school record for shooting versus a Big East opponent.

Villanova could be a faced with a tough defensive matchup in Georgetown junior guard Austin Freeman, who is averaging 20.2 points and hitting 57.1 percent from3-point range in Big East play.

Sophomore guard Jason Clark, who is averaging 10.5 points, scored a career-high 20 on Thursday while hitting all four of his 3-point attempts.

Georgetown leads the all-time series with Villanova 39-27.

tough tough loss. i think we can take a lot away from it though. we showed a lot of heart (once again) and we showed we can hang with a top team in thecountry. in the grand scheme of things, i dont think losing on the road to the number 4 team is THAT big of a setback at all. and i think overall we didn'tplay that bad a game. our shots were just not falling, while they got some tough shots to fall. and then throw in the fouls and foul trouble we got into, andit was just one of those days. it sucks that our comeback fell a little short...but i mean you cant expect to come back from 15 down every time. not to soundcliche, but i think the team can take away some positives from today's loss.

I agree, about as content as I can be after a loss.

Just wish they would have handled those traps early on better than they did.

Hate to waste a performance from Greg like that, but I loved seeing it. Austin is a flat out machine scoring the ball. I want him, even more than Greg to bethe most assertive person on this team. His offensive game is as complete I've seen a Georgetown guard have since..? idk, it's been a while.

they just were 1 possession away the whole time...too bad Chris and Julian both had fouls take them out of the game.

Loved what Benimon brought, kid is a keeper.

Hollis is gona hit shots, he's too good of a shooter. It'll come. He drills one of those today and we might have had a different outcome.

Mad we didn't steal this one because Wednesday now is a huge game. Win it, and we're right where we need to be.

I also thought that it being the first time they were hit with foul trouble, III managed the bench pretty well and the guys off the bench did okay...they justneed to start putting some points up.

GU VS PITT PREVIEW (THANKS, ESPN.COM)

73544624.jpg

image2510588.jpg

There were plenty of questions about where Pittsburgh would find offense following the departure of its three top scorers, but Ashton Gibbs and Brad Wanamakerhave answered the bell.

They haven't been alone.

Nasir Robinson was the latest to step up for the ninth-ranked Panthers, who look to remain perfect in the Big East and run their home winning streak to 32 onWednesday night with a fourth consecutive victory over No. 12 Georgetown.

Pittsburgh (15-2, 5-0) lost Sam Young, DeJuan Blair and Levance Fields from last season's 31-win team, but perhaps the biggest dilemma was who would scorewhile Jermaine Dixon recovered from a broken foot and Gilbert Brown awaited academic eligibility.

Gibbs (17.5 points per game) and Wanamaker (13.1) averaged just 30 minutes combined in 2008-09 but have started every game in the Pitt backcourt this season,becoming the team's offensive leaders even with Dixon and Brown back.

It was Robinson's turn to get going Saturday. The sophomore forward totaled 13 points in the Panthers' first four conference wins, but scored 26 andgrabbed 11 rebounds against Louisville in an 82-77 overtime victory.

"I love that kid," coach Jamie Dixon said. "I remember recruiting him. You find things wrong with him but he plays so hard and just keepsgetting better. He brings energy, is positive, and works hard. ... He's finding his role on the team."

Wanamaker scored 20 points, including the final five in regulation, as Pitt won its 31st straight at the Petersen Events Center.

"I think we are playing beyond our years, but it's just basketball to us," said Dixon, who scored six of his nine points in overtime. "Ifeel like we can play with anybody in the country."

That's certainly been the case at home, where Pitt's streak is tied with Siena for the nation's second-longest behind Kansas (52).

The Panthers are one of two remaining Big East teams without a loss after Georgetown (13-3, 4-2) missed a chance to knock off the other unbeaten Sunday inPhiladelphia.

The Hoyas fell behind Villanova 46-31 at halftime, the second time in three games they trailed by 15 at the break. But unlike when it rallied to beat then-No.13 Connecticut 72-69 on Jan. 9, Georgetown lost 82-77 to the No. 4 Wildcats.

Austin Freeman had 10 of his 22 points in the opening 3:38 of the second half, yet the Hoyas could never take the lead despite tying the score twice.

"In the first half we got shots but we missed four or five layups and we had too many turnovers. They used junk defenses with guys running and jumping andit was very effective," coach John Thompson III said.

Freeman has certainly stepped up in Big East play, averaging 20.5 points on 59.2 percent shooting. The junior guard, though, has never beaten Pitt, averaging8.0 points and shooting 39.1 percent during Georgetown's three-game series losing streak.

The common thread to the Hoyas' three losses this season has been a struggling Chris Wright, who has been held to single digits four times, including eachdefeat.

Another key to Georgetown beating Pitt could be Greg Monroe. The sophomore center had a breakout game against Villanova -- 29 points, 16 rebounds and fourblocks -- after averaging 11.4 points in his first five conference games.

Monroe had 15 points in a 70-54 loss to the Panthers on Jan. 3, 2009, that snapped Georgetown's 29-game home winning streak.

Can we just come out and play 40 minutes of tough defense even when fouls aren't going our way or when shots aren't going down.

Mentally and standing wise I think we NEED this game.We're in basically the same position as last year, can't have the players second guessingthemselves because of last year.

yeah 40 minutes of ball would be nice. we really need this win considering the nova loss and upcoming game at cuse. win tonight, win sat against rutgers, andthen head to cuse on a mini roll. gotta do it.

If Dixon keeps this up he deserves coach of the year...hell if they win tonight give him coach of the year.

That team is depleted and honestly the best talent on their team (Taylor) doesn't get the minutes he should because Dixon doesn't want to showcase him.

this is a must win. that's all there is to say. need this confidence booster, steamroll rutgers, and head into the carrier dome with our heads held high.everyone's gotta do their part out there tonight. pitt's on a roll right now. may the ghost of jeff green guide us to victory.

JTIII was 4-1 vs Dixon before #45 showed up on Pitt's Campus.

Hopefully him not being around will help tonight.

- JT3: very nice job last night. switching to the match up zone worked well. And I gota give him credit for actually scoring off inbounds plays this year.Chris really helps in that department as he sure can finish for a 6' guard.

- Can we get the big 3 on the same page for 1 night?

- I really like Benimon.

- I love Julian.

- Henry
ohwell.gif
...just stick with it.

- Clark has done a fine job on teams top scorers this year.

- Hollis just needs to settle down. Take a deep breath, and stop playing hot potato with the ball. This team NEEDS bench production. Tough when it consists of3 freshmen and 1 sophomore. Thought they did okay last night and Hollis was actually +13 on the floor...but he's gona be needed to score the ball at somepoint.

Great win. Take care of Rutgers and they've put themselves in very good shape for Cuse/Duke week.

Decent win.

This team NEEDS bench production. Tough when it consists of 3 freshmen and 1 sophomore.
I expect more out of the bench, but when you break it down these guys just don't have the experience.

Hollis needs to come around ASAP. He doesn't even look at the bucket when he catches the ball.

In the back of my mind I still think this team can get decently far in the tourney if they just focus and play D.

great win. we got them in their house, goodbye 31 home game win streak. always great to stick it to these guys, although i don't mind dixon. here's tobeating rutgers tomorrow.

congrats to us on hitting lucky number 13 on thread page count. thanks for all your contributions so far. keep it up.

i overslept and only caught the final 10 minutes. seemed like VERY VERY light work tho....

amped for monday night
pimp.gif

pretty simple today.

Liked seeing Hollis knock down some shots.

Henry gets out there and some of the best dunks and blocks you could see  and then the rest of the time he's just lost...hope it clicks soon.

Vee's trademark floater
pimp.gif

For Monday, I liked seeing how well the bigs carved up the 2-3 today. But just a little bit of difference with Cuse and Rutgers.

And credit to Greg, wasn't sure he'd ever be more than a decent rebounder, he's been GREAT on the glass. Playing next to a true big has helped, but he's made great strides in that department. And even dropped in a right handed post move toda

GU VS SYRACUSE GAME PREVIEW (THANKS, ESPN.COM)

The Carrier Dome is always a tough place to visit, and that's especially been the case for Georgetown in recent years.

The No. 7 Hoyas look to end their five-game slide in the dome Monday night when they meet fourth-ranked Syracuse, which is seeking a seventh straight win.

Syracuse (19-1, 6-1 Big East) has won 10 of the last 11 home meetings with Georgetown (15-3, 6-2). The Orange's 98-94 overtime victory over the Hoyas on Feb. 14 drew 31,841 fans to the Carrier Dome, and a similar crowd is expected Monday.

"We have great fans here in Syracuse," forward Kris Joseph said. "Our fans are die-hard fans and I think them being here and being so loud helps us a lot. I think it scares a lot of teams."

The home team has won the last seven meetings, not including a 58-57 victory for the Hoyas in the 2006 Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden. Georgetown guard Austin Freeman scored 19 points in each game as the teams split two in 2008-09.

The Orange continued their winning ways Saturday with a 76-71 home victory over Marquette. Syracuse pulled away from a 34-all halftime tie to build a lead as big as 16 before holding on.

"We knew we had a big size advantage and I thought we really exploited that," coach Jim Boeheim said. "We played probably the best basketball, defensively and offensively, we've played all year, for those (first) 16 minutes in the second half."

Syracuse won't have a size advantage when it uses its 2/3 zone to try to contain 6-foot-11 center Greg Monroe. The Georgetown big man, averaging 21.0 points and 13.7 rebounds in his last three games, made 10 of 12 shots and had 21 points and 11 boards in an 88-63 rout of Rutgers on Saturday.

Monroe averaged 13.0 points and 9.0 rebounds against Syracuse last season.

Georgetown's lack of depth has been an issue all season, and Saturday's lopsided game gave coach John Thompson III a chance to use a bench that has played sparingly in Big East contests. Vee Sanford and Henry Sims became the third and fourth Hoyas subs to score in a conference game this season.

"We were focused for the most part," said Thompson, whose team jumped five spots in the AP poll. "They came out with a cohesiveness and an energy which was a good for us. That's something we've stressed that we want to maintain."

The Orange will have to be wary of Chris Wright, who scored 27 points in a 74-66 win at No. 9 Pittsburgh on Wednesday. Wright has excelled in Big East road games against Top 25 teams, averaging 17.0 points on 54.2 percent shooting in seven contests.

Syracuse showcased its depth Saturday, winning despite getting no points from second-leading scorer Andy Rautins. Wesley Johnson had 22 points and 15 rebounds while Joseph added 14 and 11 off the bench.

The Orange have five players who average at least 10 points.

"That just shows how good of a basketball team we are," Joseph said. "Andy being shut down today was a great thing to see, because now we know what everyone else is capable of."

Back
Top Bottom