THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

huge game.  so far, we've done what we're supposed to do since losing to nova.  big win beating pitt at home, steamrolled rutgers.  now the carrier dome.  gotta really push it tonight.  you guys know what to do.  get it done.

LOSJ2.gif

IAMFREE15 Back to gtown.......tough loss....got to keep gettin better.....Duke on Saturday......Let's Go Hoyas

Thats all that really needs to be said. Also, I didn't know Hollis would take over as the new Nikita.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

IAMFREE15 Also, I didn't know Hollis would take over as the new Nikita.

He does look very underwhelming to say the least. I understand he may be thinking too much out there but I thought that was the point of coming in early. He's basically a sophomore. Those fears should be gone by now.

laugh.gif
scared me thinkin Free said that

Hollis looked MUCH better in November. dont know what gives. Just needs to slow down, unlike Nikita, he's got the game.

And has anyone ever seen III yell at a player like he did last night with Chris when he told him to stop fouling? Something about that Dome get's him a little out of character.

I've heard III is a menace behind closed doors. He literally tried to make Tyler Crawford quit plenty of times. I don't know if he really wanted him to or he was trying to motivate him.

Terrible 2nd Half... everybody was out of sync. Besides Monroe, the lack of inside presence and size is killing GTown. JTIII needs to recruit more versatile wingman as well & a true PG or else...

I think Jason could have used his speed somewhat better..driving to the hole more often and possibly drawing fouls

Great game by Cuse'

Excellent win
everyone played on great on both ends. Loved seeing Hollis hit shots and make plays on D.

this backcourt is going to be something special by the time they're done next year.

literally, no complaints. Just have to make it count by taking care of USF on Wednesday they we get nova coming in. They can really capitalize off of this win now with the schedule coming up.

Big picture, they're a 2 seed right now, and handle business down the stretch (7-2) they'd be right there,

sweet win. and a convincing win over a good team. finally.

unstoppable if the big three show up like they did...we finally saw them all bring their A game. like allen said, we been waiting for that.

my favorite sequence of the game was chris wright getting out and blocking a three attempt, then getting down in the paint and stealing the ball, and then taking it all way down and pulling up for that jumper. doing it on both ends yesterday
pimp.gif

the aftermath...

it took me a minute to post, but stellar victory against duke. it was great to be back in verizon, almost 4 years to the day that we beat em 87-84 and rushed the court in a frenzy. we pretty much had them from the

get-go and they couldn't keep up. shots were falling, we played great defense, forced turnovers and capitalized on fast break points. everyone contributed. this was the game we had been waiting for. a game when

the big three all got big. each of them had at least 20 points. hollis stepped it up finally with some hustle and some nice shots. the bench saw an increased role in this game. two things, i wish we had some more

offensive boards, but i guess when you're shooting 70%, hard to complain. besides obama not cheering for us, i didn't like how we kinda let them chip away at our lead, even with our starters on the court. woulda

liked to have closed out with a 20 point lead or so. but, superb game, one of the best performances, if not the best, i've seen from us all season, and even better, beating duke in the final game of our series with

them. keep up the good work.

GU VS USF PREVIEW (THANKS, ESPN.COM)

Of the three games on Georgetown's homestand, the matchup with South Florida is the easiest to look past. It's difficult, though, to overlook the Bulls' Dominique Jones.

Trying to remain perfect at the Verizon Center, the No. 7 Hoyas attempt to slow down the high-scoring Jones and end South Florida's first three-game Big East win streak Wednesday night.

Georgetown (16-4, 6-3) opened this critical stretch with a surprisingly easy 89-77 victory over then-No. 8 Duke on Saturday. The Hoyas shot 71.7 percent to match the third-highest mark in school history, their best effort since shooting 71.9 percent against St. John's in 1980.

"With the offensive players we have, we know where our shots are coming from and they're doing an outstanding job night-in and night-out to help each other get shots," coach John Thompson III said. "With as good as they are as offensive players, hopefully we will have other days like this."

Greg Monroe and Chris Wright each scored 21 points and Austin Freeman added 20 for the Hoyas, who played in front of their first sellout crowd with President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in attendance.

"I think we all came out with a little bit more energy than usual," Wright said. "We were all over the place, defensively and offensively."

Another sellout could be on tap Saturday when No. 2 Villanova visits, although a crowd short of capacity is expected for the matchup with South Florida (14-7, 4-5). The Hoyas are 10-0 at the Verizon Center, with their only home loss coming on campus at McDonough Arena to Old Dominion on Dec. 19.

Georgetown's big offensive effort over the weekend didn't go unnoticed.

"They've got one of the best players in the country in Greg Monroe who can score and pass as well as anybody," South Florida coach Stan Heath said. "But they shoot the ball so well from 3 so it's hard to figure out where you're going to skew your defense a little bit."

The Bulls, though, don't resemble the pushovers they have been in seasons past. Their success is due largely to Jones, who has averaged 37.0 points during the three-game win streak.

Jones scored 24 of his 37 in the second half of a 70-61 victory over then-No. 17 Pittsburgh on Sunday. He has earned back-to-back Big East player of the week honors.

"He's just doing what he does. ... He's just carrying the load," guard Chris Howard said. "He may be the LeBron or the Kobe of this team. The way he's playing is lifting us up."

While Georgetown has three players who average at least 15 points, Jones is the only healthy Bull averaging at least 12.

"We're going to really have to dig down deep," Heath said. "We're going to have to have somebody else step up too. Dominique has been unbelievable, but we need to get a couple more guys (going)."

South Florida is 0-9 in Big East road games against Top 25 opponents, and 1/3 against Georgetown since joining the conference in 2005. Wright scored 17 points in a 65-40 Hoyas road victory Feb. 18.

allen, any updates of recruiting? any progress with hopkins, christmas, johnson, cook, etc.?

saw your post on moses abraham, what's the deal with him? is he expected to help plug the big man gap in the event that monroe leaves after this season?

They're monitoring a few big men for this class: Moses Abraham, Juvonte Reddic and Eric McKnight that are known of and probably are looking at others.

I'm not sure if we take 1 of those 3 or an uknown at this point, but I'm sure we see the staff pick up 1 or 2 guys in the spring like they did this past year. Makes me think they also had planned to use Roscoe a little bit at the 4, which makes me okay with missing on him even more.

The 3 mentioned are all good athletes, shot blockers. Lacking a little bit of skill but, more projects than immediate impacts but, we've seen that you need roster depth. Vaughn, Benimn, Sims and Lubick is a solid front line next year...but we know the guards are goin to be the focus of that group regardless.

I'm not sure what recruits were at the Duke game besides Starks and Lubick but I'm sure there were a handful of younger guys.

I don't expect Cook to end up at G'Town, I think there is a decent amount of mutual interest with the other 3 you named. Rakeem is numero uno for that class and they've positioned themselves well for him from all accounts. Believe he has family in DC which helps

Also friends with Amile Jefferson (also in philly) that the other board has talked about. He's in the following class, so way to early to think about him but he's gota lot of potential.

NO LETDOWNS night. Jason will have to bring his D tonight vs Jones. Get through tonight and go make a statement on Saturday.

Dominique Jones is a beast.

Just had a feeling a let down was coming.

Typical Gtown fans, the place was empty.

No time to keep our heads down, blizzard and Nova coming to town.

Victor Page was at the game.

Games like those are on Chris and Austin to have the team ready. They are the captains they are the elder players on this roster.

You can't assume you're just gona put a team away, not in the Big East.

I don't think it's a that big of a loss but you have to win saturday, which I think they will.

Greg keeps getting better now, which is great for the stretch run

hopefully people can make it to the game tomorrow
grin.gif

As we hit the stretch run, I'm sure a loss tomorrow could set off panic mode, but i dont wana think about that.

- Austin's gota keep goin. Again, if he became more aggressive, fine with me. Guy is shooting 60% from the floor and 63% from 3 since the New Years eve game. That's absurd.

- Greg's getting better...finishing with his right hand now as well. just stay outa foul trouble.

- Then Chris...good Chris, great team...bad chris, mediocre team. Find consistency, please. He looks so close sometimes to putting it all together.

- If he's not in foul trouble, more Julian. I realize his conditioning may leave something to be desired but if you can squeeze 30 minutes out of him, do it...

- and that leads me to Benimon, is he getting a little too much court time lately? maybe....if he's not bringing anything to the table why not try Henry out? And if Chris is struggling like he was Wednesday, why not Sanford? I don't think we have 7 guys consistent enough to not be flexible to changing on the fly.

- Clark has a little bit of consitency issues as well on both ends, but he is young. He's reliable more times than he's not. Just don't settle for 3's.

- Play better against zone D.

..tomorrow, handle the pressure well, which I think they will for the 2nd time seeing it (made adjustments 2nd half last time anyway) and play defense with your feet. You reach, these Nova guards get the benefit of the doubt. Make Scottie put it on the floor.

Meaningless to look ahead now, you handle business things will work out. Win this one first.

Walk to Dupont, metro to Chinatown is the only way you'll see any students at that game
laugh.gif

I'm sure a good number will make it though. It's such a huge game.

^I expect to see no more than 50 students at the game. Pathetic student fan base...

Not sure how I'm making it to the game tomorrow (don't live near a metro). What I do know is that I'll be up early trying to get there on time.

- and that leads me to Benimon, is he getting a little too much courttime lately? maybe....if he's not bringing anything to the table whynot try Henry out? And if Chris is struggling like he was Wednesday,why not Sanford? I don't think we have 7 guys consistent enough to not be flexible to changing on the fly.
That was my beef in the USF game. When Monroe went out of the game, Jones knew exactly what to do... take it to the bucket. Sims maybe could have helped with his shot blocking ability.

Back
Top Bottom