THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Pathetic student fan base...
Excuse me, but who is it that's getting a free ride? It's not thestudent fans...it's the players! Don't blame students; blame theprimadonnas on the court who are financially compensated in the form offree tuition, etc., to win games. When the prez is in attendancethey're chest thumping, fist pumping show offs. When it's a smallunrecognized school they blow it off as though they have an entitlementto the win. Ooops! I guess South Florida didn't get the memo. You cantell how bad it's going when they sink a free throw (a rarity in thisgame)and act like they won the Final Four.
It's starting to look like last season where everyone was out forthemselves, not the team. The only joke in this game was on the court,and it wasn't funny. You want us to show up for games with spirit, actlike a team and not the circus.

per casual hoya

indifferent.gif

wow...

jason clark
eek.gif

freeman...business as usual

vaughn is doing his thing

good *@$@ so far, fellas...keep it up...dont take your foot off the gas

very good to win with Chris side lined and even Greg on the bench in the first half.

I still dont get the decrease in Julian's minutes for long stretches...he is a presence...Benimon is not right now.

Needed this and the guys responded.

But, please...make it count. Take care of Providence and Rutgers, PLEASE! no more let downs.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

But, please...make it count. Take care of Providence and Rutgers, PLEASE! no more let downs.
this.

cannot waste big wins like this one. gotta keep it up.

Greedy Peterson scares the hell out of me for tonight. he's the closet thing to dejuan blair the guys will see this year. And we know how those match ups went.

Box out and defend.

Providence will not play much defense.

if he's even half of what dajuan blair was....%%%@
laugh.gif

hope our shooting is on point tonight

GU VS PROVIDENCE GAME PREVIEW (THANKS, ESPN.COM)

Georgetown suffered a major letdown the last time it defeated a top 10 opponent. Facing teams ranked in the top 10 is something Providence is about to get used to.

The seventh-ranked Hoyas go on the road Tuesday night as they look to defeat the Friars for the fourth straight time.

Georgetown (17-5, 7-4 Big East) won 89-77 over then-No. 8 Duke on Jan. 30 before suffering a 72-64 home loss to South Florida last Wednesday. The Hoyas bounced back with another huge victory Saturday, 103-90 over then-No. 2 Villanova.

Austin Freeman scored 25 points, Jason Clark added a career-high 24 and Greg Monroe had 19 as Georgetown led by as many as 23 points. The Hoyas forced 16 first-half turnovers to take a 50-31 lead into the break.

"I've said that we have good players in the locker room," coach John Thompson III said. "The key was (Clark, Freeman and Monroe) controlled the game."

The Hoyas have road games at Providence (12-11, 4-7) and Rutgers before hosting No. 2 Syracuse on Feb. 18 They insist they didn't overlook South Florida and won't overlook anyone.

"We didn't learn that on Wednesday, we know that in this league that if you're not at your best you can lose to any team," Monroe said. "It wasn't really a lesson learned, we knew that going in, we just have to make sure we're focused."

Although Georgetown has won three straight in this series, Providence has led at halftime of each contest. Freeman scored 18 points in last season's 82-75 victory in which the Hoyas used a key 15-0 second-half run to take control.

The Friars will face all four Big East teams ranked in the top 10 over the next four games. They have lost 17 of 18 against top 10 foes over the past six seasons, winning 81-73 over then-No. 1 Pittsburgh last season at home.

Providence has lost a season-high three straight after falling 82-79 to Marquette on Saturday. Jamine Peterson had 28 points and 11 boards for the Friars, who shot 27.3 percent on 3-pointers.

Coach Keno Davis was not happy with his team's 15 free-throw attempts. The Friars average 22.1.

"When a game is called like that, it doesn't favor us because we're not as physical as some of the teams in the league," Davis said.

The Friars are last in the Big East in field-goal percentage defense, allowing opponents to shoot 45.3 percent. They will be severely tested by a Hoyas team that ranks third in the nation in shooting at 50.3 percent.

The Hoyas shot a season-high 71.7 percent against Duke and finished at 56.3 against Villanova.

"We have good players, we have unselfish players and they've done a terrific job of helping each other and making sure the right person gets the shot out of our offense," Thompson said.

Georgetown has won four of six, losing both games in which Monroe fouled out.

giving up way too many offensive boards, giving providence all those second and third chances. team seemed lost without monroe in there with foul trouble. box out, stay outta foul trouble, get on a nice run, and put em away.

One of my favorite wins of the year.

When they got down 8, and Jason got out of character and Chris was forcing things...whatever transpired after that...they got down to business and shut the door.

Greg can pass, man. Does so much for Julian, but to Julian's credit he finishes plays off.

The offensive rebounding issues have been lurking lately just by looking at box scores...so it's a concern, but at the same time Providence is an elite team in that category, after tonight probably top 5 in the country.

At least with this group we know they're capable, they shored that up earlier this year...they have to again now.

Gota take care of Rutgers. No looking ahead. But if they can take care of that one, it will set up a HUGE game with Cuse.

Time to resurrect this thread with a little bit of a rant.

Not sure what the true problem is, but the lack of motivation and heart in these guys makes it so tough to believe in them.

How many times have we had to use the phrases "no let downs," and "bounce back game" this year? Waaaay to many times, in my opinion, for a team that is this talented.

I'm not asking for a perfect season, and I know losses will come at the hands of bad teams every year, but play with some heart and tenacity.

I can take a loss if its played with heart.

Wright - When this guy wants to play its amazing to watch. I know a lot of people dislike his uptempo style of play and wish the days of Wallace running the squad were still here - I am not one of them. He's exactly what this team needed and didn't need - a guy that could push the tempo but at the same time can hurt the team with his lack of focus and effort.

Monroe - Show some heart game in and game out, my man. Two years of people calling you soft you would think you would be offended. Despite only being a sophomore this is your team, take control of it.

Freeman - Can't say many bad things about this guy other than he needs to become more vocal. The team needs a leader and if Wright and Monroe can't be that leader, maybe Freeman needs to step up.

JT3 - I'm trying to become a fan of him, really am. But he continues to make bonehead choices. Where was Vaughn on the last defensive play against Rutgers? Instead you have Thompson in the game, who attempts to box someone out and ends up getting trampled on the boards. More importantly, if these guys aren't showing any effort (i.e. Wright during the Rutgers game), bench them. Send a message that you'd rather lose without them then win with them.

I feel this team could be a final four team or a first round bust.

Let's take the first step in the right direction tonight...

Just win.

You get the feeling it might just not kick in with this group from a mental stand point fully until next year. And it sucks cause Greg likely won't be around for it.

To be honest, I don't know if this team will EVER get it. It's not about showing up for the big games, its about showing up for EVERY game.

Hoping JT3 can right the ship this last month.

downyboy the wise, i am in agreement with your assessment. i will say this. this team has made major advances compared to last year. and it looks like we're going to be the tournament. that was goal number one. of course i'd be beyond disappointed if we were knocked out early and i think we're very capable of getting deep in the tourney, but at least that was accomplished. despite what the rumors are about chris beind a prima donna, etc., we're not in a bad place. let's just take it game by game and see what happens. we're not jt3, all we can do is hope and stay loyal.

GU VS CUSE: ROUND II GAME PREVIEW (THANKS, ESPN.COM)

Syracuse and Georgetown both slipped up against unranked Big East opponents their last time out, but both teams have generally played their best against top-flight competition.

The 10th-ranked Hoyas' trip to upstate New York last month was a rare exception.

Georgetown has throttled two top-10 visitors to the Verizon Center, though, and it'll have revenge on its mind Thursday night as it tries to deal the fifth-ranked Orange their first road loss.

A win and a season split with Syracuse (24-2, 11-2) would give the Hoyas (18-6, 8-5) their seventh victory over a Top 25 opponent, something no other team in the country can boast.

Then again, after losing 71-68 at Rutgers on Sunday afternoon, it's hard to imagine Georgetown hanging with a team that's tied with Villanova atop the Big East.

"It is frustrating to the coach and I think it is frustrating to the guys also," coach John Thompson III said of his team's inconsistency. "We just have to make sure as we go forward we limit that -- have a little more of a steady flow instead of the ups and downs."

There's plenty of reason to believe the Hoyas will bounce back Thursday. Following a 73-56 loss at the Carrier Dome on Jan. 25 -- a game Georgetown led 14-0 -- the Hoyas shot 63.8 percent and averaged 96.0 points in consecutive Saturday routs of then-No. 8 Duke and second-ranked Villanova.

Sandwiched in between those victories, though, was a home loss to South Florida.

"We need to find a way to keep our focus," said sophomore center Greg Monroe, who's averaged 18.4 points and 6.0 assists in his last five games. "I really wish we could just play some games that don't count, lose them so we can come out before every game with that intensity and that focus. ... Everybody has to get mentally prepared and understand that the same focus and intensity that they bring against the better teams, they have to bring to every team."

Syracuse's two losses have come at home to unranked opponents in games where it failed to even approach its Division I-leading field-goal percentage (52.2). The Orange shot a season-low 41.4 percent in falling 66-60 to Louisville on Sunday.

Leading scorer Wes Johnson, nursing a bruised thumb on his shooting hand since a nasty fall at Providence two weeks ago, was 5 of 20 from the floor and had a pair of shots blocked in the final minute. He's shooting 28.6 percent and his scoring average has dropped six points since the game against the Friars.

"I'm just missing shots," said Johnson, who had 14 points, nine rebounds, four blocks and seven turnovers against the Hoyas last month. "It ain't anything mentally or physically. My body is still not 100 percent, but I wouldn't really blame it on that. The shots that I did take, I really just missed them."

Syracuse is the only team in the nation without a road loss, and that's largely due to Andy Rautins. The senior guard averages 9.3 points in home and neutral site games, but is scoring 15.3 in visiting arenas.

He had 15 points, six assists and six steals at home last month against Georgetown.

The Hoyas, meanwhile, will likely need a better game from Monroe if they're going to win a fourth straight at home against the Orange. He had eight points and six turnovers before fouling out at Syracuse.

Of even more importance is a big game from Chris Wright, who was held to seven points in the first meeting. Georgetown is 16-0 when it gets 10 or more from the junior guard, who expects a charged atmosphere for one of the Big East's best rivalries.

"It's an honor to play in a game like this, to be a part of history," Wright said. "I'm sure it's going to be electric.'

on another note, some recruiting news from ESPN Insider

-Markel Starks goes for 24 in Georgetown win
ESPNU 100 guard Markel Starks managed 24 points despite shooting just 8-of-24 from the field in Georgetown Prep's 65-62 win over Landon on Tuesday.

Starks added eight rebounds and eight assists for the Little Hoyas.

-Illinois wing gains Wisconsin offer; Hoyas next?
ESPN.com spoke with the AAU coach of junior guard Michael Henry on Monday who confirmed that the 6-foot-5 Chicago native was offered a scholarship by Wisconsin.

"They (the Badger staff) offered him after his game on Friday," Rising Stars Gold coach Brian Davis said. "Michael had a terrific game, scoring 31 against (Terrific 25 prospect) Branden Dawson (Gary, Ind./Lew Wallace)."

Wisconsin was not the only high-major staff in attendance on Friday, according to Davis.

"Georgetown assistant coach Kenya Hunter watched the game and it looks like their about to offer Michael as well."

Davis described Henry as "a very athletic wing player who can shoot it out to 3. He's got high-major athleticism and he's worked very hard on his consistency. If he can continue to develop his handle he'll really take his game to the next level."

Davis also mentioned some mid-major offers were on the table, including Indiana State, and that Stanford is on his list although the Cardinal do not offer scholarships until the student-athlete has been admitted.

ESPN.com Recruiting Coordinator Reggie Rankin had this to say about Henry in December:

"This athletic and strong wing has great size and a big body. He attacks the rim in transition and with baseline slashes where he can finish with a dunk with a clear path. He is a decent ball handler but must work to improve that skill in order to create his own shot on a consistent basis.

"He rebounds well in his area and challenges shots in and out of his area. He is a good enough athlete to defend both forward positions as well. Henry has great upside and is one to watch."

not just about jt3 righting the ship, it's the players' job to understand it themselves and execute on the court. but you're right, they gotta treat every game the same with a win as their goal.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

^ What's Markel's style of play?
Kid can stick it from anywhere on the court, from everything I've seen his pull up jumper is his patented move, from up to 25 feet out.. and he has a better handle than anyone we've had in a while. He is a complete offensive player. Probably should win All Met Player this year. Defense needs work. And the shot needs to become more consistent.

I think he's gone a little under the radar cause he took the summer off and he doesnt play in the WCAC but I would expect him to contribute immediately. Probably in the way chris was supposed to his freshmen year until his injury.
it's the players' job to understand it themselves and execute on the court
I tend to lean more this way. They have to come ready to play, the staff can try to get them focused all week for a team like Rutgers, they gota be the ones to decide to take it seriously.

Back
Top Bottom