THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Monroe also took his share of inquiries surrounding his opportunities in the NBA draft. When asked if the loss would be a factor in his decision, Monroe answered "Basically I'm not looking to the future right now. I'm ready to go back and see how I can help my team next year."

Was this his last game at Georgetown? "No, it wasn't." he said.

Has there been ANYONE in the history of Early Draft entries that has said "I'm leaving for the NBA" after a game?

Hell...even Lebron was playing the whole "I'm still looking at schools" routine when he was a senior in HS.

of course not. not saying theres any truth to it and i guess maybe theres no reason to post it. just putting it out there.

Lubick named Mass. Player of Year
Nate Lubick of Southboro, a senior at St. Mark’s, is the Gatorade Massachusetts Boys’ Basketball Player of the Year for the second straight season. Lubick, who signed a letter of intent in the fall to play at Georgetown, averaged 21.7 points, 10.3 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 2.7 blocks per game for the Lions (23-6). The 6-foot-9, 238-pounder will play for Team USA in the Capital Classic next month in Washington, D.C.

Well, that sucked. Embarrassing. I really only have good things to say about Chris last night and maybe Hollis.

They have to start working TODAY about how to avoid this again next year.

III...love the guy, dont want anyone else. But changes need to be made. Offense is fine with me...defense is not...you don't a 7'2 guy back there to correct/funnel out mistakes...and they dont grow on trees..so whatever philosophy is in place needs tweaking. We got killed 2 weeks ago with ball screens against ND...last night Ohio had a field day. that's not acceptable.

If he doesn't see the coaching staff fit, change it. I saw Broadus behind the bench at the BET...hell, bring him back..who cares what people would think about it. If Cox or Hunter are not able to teach/motivate...make a change.

Personnell..

Greg - If he comes back, great. He'll have to realize nothing short of a Final 4 will be acceptable. Get stronger/more explosive. Work on jump shot.

Austin - Job well done this year. Approach this off season as he did last and he'll be in line for BE POY consideration.

Chris - I feel I can confidently say he has turned the corner. His stretch run here in March was damn good, sorry to see it wasted. He is the rarity on this team, he wants to win and will leave it all out on the court.

Clark - Decide if you want to be a great defender..we saw him lock down the other teams best player at times and other games, they'd go off for 30...he is fully capable of being a great defender but he, and the team have to make the committment to doing so. Offensively, his shot improved dramatically and his handle. Now he has to find other ways to score other than the 3 ball.

Vaughn - Impressive for most of the year, and I'd like to think he just wasn't ready for the minutes and increased role. I guess he has asthma? Idk..maybe that slows him down, but he has to work his tail off this summer to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Hollis - Excited about him. When the game slows down for him, he should be a really valuable member of the team. Don't settle for 3's, attack. I'd expect him to make a jump like Clark had this year, but maybe more consistent of one.

Benimon - Him being on the court 20 minutes lately, killed me. He brought absolutely nothing to the table. I can't fault him for it, he was not ready for those minutes. Offfensively, he was just a complete liability, defenders sagged off him to the point an entry pass was just not possible. I do think the experience he and the other freshmen got will be valuable..he has to take on the 'workman' like role on this team with rebounding and defense.

Sanford - A fan..actually defends, is composed on the court. Typical improvement needed from a freshmen..mostly getting stronger. I'm not sure where he finds his minutes next year but he earned 5-10 a game...at least..especially if Clark/Wright/Freeman don't bring it on any given night.

Sims - Who knows. If Greg departs he better be ready.

Lubick/Starks/Bowen -- Most anticipating Lubick's arrival as he will actually GET AFTER IT and take no prisoners. When he gets the ball he's looking to tear the rim down. We desperately need that.

I think Starks is going to be a stud but he's probably not seeing much time next year.

If Bowen works hard and shows he can defend, he can earn himself time..just like Vee, if Clark and Co on the perimiter don't want to defend.

If you told me before the year that they'd win 23 games but lose in the first round..I would have said okay...not great but a decent bounce back year.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) they showed they were capable of much more this year, but never were able to do it consistently.

Austin, Chris and hopefully Greg have one more shot to make it right. I think they want to, I think they work hard...but you can't approach games or competition in general with the attitude they did all year long and expect success. Not just those 3, but the whole roster and coaching staff.

III would say after a big game "We dont have to refocus, we're focused"...well, were you?

It's time to light a fire under their %%@$! like never before. Everyone thought it was time to take themselves seriously last summer when things didn't go wrong. that should be the norm and expectation from Day 1. IDK how many lessons this group has to go through to finally figure it out, but this is the last stop...you have about 380 days to 'fix it'. And it starts from the top.

III recognized that his roster was flawed and short with bodies. He went out and started to fix that with this recruiting class coming in with the addition of Bowen and last year adding Sanford/Benimon. It's time for him to be proactive about how he motivates. The same things that worked for Roy/Jeff/Jon/Pat/Tyler might not, probably don't work with this group. On court, it's time to take a look at things defensively...be more aggresive, apply some pressure/trap..this team can not sit back in a half court defense like teams in the past and force missed shots, they have to create turnovers.

Heads gotta roll somewhere. You can honestly say that every year AFTER 2007 has been let downs.

- Davidson
- NIT
- Ohio

I'm not saying I expected us to win national championships...but each of those years have ended DRASTICALLY different than what they should have.

Heads gotta roll SOMEWHERE...

Broadus and Johnson both moved on to their head coaching jobs after the Final 4...so maybe you look at that..it's tough to say.

But something is missing be it the staff or roster.

I would love to bring back Broadus. I dont know how feasible that would be considering what he's gone through. But he went and got tough minded kids like Egerson and Sapp that this current staff isn't approaching.

indifferent.gif

it's been taking me some days and very very minimal viewing of the tournament to cope with the terrible terrible turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible loss that gtown suffered at the hands of ohio in the FIRST round. i take a little

consolation that we aren't the only ones who blew it, seeing nova and kansas fall before the sweet sixteen, but that doesn't give us an excuse for allowing (key word is ALLOWING) ourselves to lose. we had every

ability to win that game, probably even crush ohio, but we didn't want it. it's plain and simple. again, i think we underestimated our opponent and let it beat us. nobody gave us a worthy effort except for chris,

whose heart was on every hustle play, every drive, every shot. everyone else was a big disappointment. we didn't make adjustments, didn't cover the perimeter, let these fools rain threes all over us, didn't rebound

to save our season, the list goes on and on. i'm just hoping that monroe stays true to his word, having avoided the dreaded phrase "weigh my options", and comes back for one more run. if this team can stay

together, with the fresh recruits at point, PF, and wing coming in to provide some much needed depth, i think you can bet on us making a deep run in the tournament. but hey, not a bad season overall, i want some

consistency.

as chris drury said, "if that's the price we had to pay for another year with greg, then i'm cool"...one more year with greg could be epic

I'm on board with Greg for another year...but the "expecting anything epic from him" ship has sailed after this year. I'm sure he'll put up good #'s and wow us at times...but I'm also expecting to be underwhelmed more often than not and yelling at the TV screen for him to at least attempt to dominate night in-night out.

I've just come to terms that he is what he is. I just fear that in the eyes of NBA scouts...if they get another year to nitpick his game and see that for themselves, that he might not be as highly regarded anymore. If the next few months it's determined that he has more to gain by leaving now rather than coming back...I'm all for it.

Individually, no..but as a whole with all 9 guys back with Lubick/Starks/Bowen/ and maybe Abraham it'd be our deepest and close to/maybe the most talented group.

Anything less than a Final 4 would be a huge disappointment.

I'm interested what moves, if any are made on the staff...Former players? I could always see Jon Wallace entering coaching but it wouldn't be anything but a Grad Assistant spot at this point. Due to the Esherick years, the former player angle is kind of washed out. People who have ties to the area? Keith Stevens? idk.

Imagine AI going into kids houses to recruit.
laugh.gif
..he does need a job..

on the same page as allen regarding depth. would be really stoked if we got the opportunity to see that. i feel like i haven't seen a truly deep and well-balanced squad like that could be in a long time. could make the argument that the 05-06 squad was, but hibbert did not play many minutes. i think all around talent wise, that a 10-11 team with monroe would be even better than the 07 final four team. here's to hoping.

I don't expect to come into next year with 13 guys actually on scholarship..I'm waiting on the other shoe to drop whether it be Greg going pro or Henry transferring (no reason to think that, but just seeing 13 guys would be a sign of the apocalypse.)

But if that doesn't happen...this roster is stacked.

Hope Moses can at least bring defense, shot blocking and rebounding in year 1.

minutes dependent on Greg's decision.

apparently moses is a beast when it comes to rebounds. hopefully that'll carry over into the big east. combined with lubick, that may help solve our rebounding woes.

if monroe does return, we have a team deep and talented enough to make a serious run to the final four.

with lubick and abraham coming, i'm hoping this means less minutes for benimon, who overplayed to the point of vulnerability. as for sims, what a bust. peace be with him wherever he goes, if he does transfer.

also, good to see a resurgence in jt3's recruiting power, especially since the riley decommit and the roscoe fiasco. next stop, rakeem, johnson and hopkins? here's to hoping.

"you're very young...and you're very very stupid" - tony d'amato

but nah...good luck in the league i guess. would have been nice for one more year.

The Ohio game seemed to give some hope to him returning but I guess it just wasn't enough.

Loved watching him play, frustrating at times, but he'll be missed. Can't blame him with the landscape of the NBA and now finally getting to help his mom out.

also, good to see a resurgence in jt3's recruiting power
by all accounts the staff is getting after it like once seen in 05/06 and it was needed. Involved with a lot of names.

Tyrone Johnson is visiting once again today. I honestly think it's a formality at this point and he'll be a Hoya.

New name is Johnny O'Bryant that will be visiting next week. And he is a MONSTER. Much better than Hopkins as in he will not wait for the action, he will seek it out. We all know we need that.

Still looking good for Christmas

Originally Posted by Al3xis

New name is Johnny O'Bryant that will be visiting next week. And he is a MONSTER. Much better than Hopkins as in he will not wait for the action, he will seek it out. We all know we need that.
that would be refreshing to see

Back
Top Bottom