THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

wasn't able to catch the first half since the bar basically lied about having the game on. ended up watching it on stream (thanks downy). stream didn't even give us a score, it was like watching the game broadcasted jumbotron steez. definitely a pretty sloppy game, a lot of room for improvement. but i was impressed that we came back from two 8-point deficits. it's easy to fold in situations like that, but our backcourt came up big and put away our nemesis in their house. good to see lubick on the floor, definitely nowhere to go but up for that guy. as much as i don't like sims, good to see him looking lean and mean and getting some PT. like allen said, we gotta make use of our bench. hollis at the 4 spot is a mistake, should switch him out with lubick. definitely want to see markel on the floor more. i sense good things for that kid. let's get it tonight.

Nice win, minus the end of the first/start of the 2nd..pretty solid all around.

This team is ill far too often. Julian now? and Markel must have still been sick from the other night to not see the floor.

Julian has to be ready to make the trip to Charleston this weekend, hope he gets better in a hurry.

That said, tonight was a good opportunity for Henry and he did well. He was aware and did his job, that's really all we need from him. Through 2 games, there isn't a deer in the headlights look from him.

The Vee supporters just got some more ammo tonight. Looked good.

Sure is nice to have Austin Freeman.
stream didn't even give us a score, it was like watching the game broadcasted jumbotron steez.
laugh.gif
. that was the worst.

missed tonights game cause i was at the bruins game. good to see we won. glad to hear we overcame some deficits too.

as far as being sick, is it strep? i saw benni had it last week. is that whats going around?

they wouldn't say what it is as of now, just that he went to the hospital yesterday after practice.

III said he still had no idea if he'd travel with the team tomorrow.

we probably could manage through the first 2 rounds down there without him, but I think we need him to win it.

damn the hospital, huh? ive never had strep, but it can't be hospital worthy, can it?

hopefully he's good to go.

Henry's time to shine this weekend.

hoping Julian is okay and just misses this trip. If that's it, it could turn into a positive long-term that Henry and Nate get this chance.

Jason didn't travel with the team yesterday, either dude to his grandmother..but III said they expect to have him (must have gone down today)

Can't take either of the first 2 rounds lightly. have to take care of business.

edit:

Jason and Julian both expected to play tomorrow.
pimp.gif

outside of Austin getting in foul trouble and Nate's henry-like series of events, another solid win.

Guards are really damn good. I started to expect every shot Austin took last year to go in, now it's the same with Clark.

Julian played very well all things considered.

Nate and Markel played like freshman.

(and with Henry again, he wasn't a liability..he looks reliable right now. great to see)

A little bit reliant on the 3 ball, but I think III knows when to pull them in.

Coastal is a solid team, get another step up tomorrow with Wofford.

I'm not sure I want to pair those two, Henry's really doing well as the back up 5 man..and I think he's just more of a 5 than a 4 in this system.

Still hoping Nate grabs the starting 4 spot.

also with Vee, it's not so much I want to see him, it's just I don't want to see the big 3 playing 35 minutes. knock that down to 32-33 for each and Vee is getting 10 minutes and they're getting more rest. I think the kid has earned it.

Another solid win, nice to see us score without the 3 ball. If Henry goes from liability to reliable to contributor, we really could end up being good.

Got to win on Sunday.

only caught the last 7 minutes or so...can't say too much, but it was nice finally seeing the squad play. obviously good to win tho

Henry
eek.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

great trip. kudos all around. best part is we're winning on the boards so far, and that was my biggest fear for this year. bigs got to keep it up.

No letdowns.

"Big" game tonight. Hopefully these guys can show that they can go on the road, keep their composure and win a early "big" game.

Gotta say the highlights for me this year have been Freeman and Sims. Freeman could easily be averaging 30+ if he were to get more PT. I like what JT3 is doing on his rotations this year - not relying on 6 players.

Sims has been assertive and playing withing his game. He helped power us over NC St., then followed it up with a decent game against Asheville. Feels good to be able to bring him off the bench and get some production or energy.

As much as I've given Hollis crap, gotta give him props for being so rebound minded. We needed someone other than our bigs to do that, and hes doing the job well. Although i still hate how he only shoots 3s.

Lubick at times looks like the old Sims out there. Slow on his feet, flailing his arms, but I see good things. He's trying to get to the bucket, even though he turns it over all the time, there seems to be great instincts there. If I were him, I'd try to focus more on boards right now and make his name there.

Lastly, just gotta give it up to JT3 for getting our bench in the games early in the season. Should prove extremely helpful down the stretch.

allen- Whats the word on Bowen? What type of player is he..etc? As of now, not sure what to expect from him.

downy giving JT3 props...damn
laugh.gif

excited to see them play tonight. big game and my first chance to watch an entire game this season.

saturday was the first game I didn't get to see (nice job, Verizon Center)

sounded like Hollis had a great game. And Free was Free.

We've had real tests this year already but this is probably another step up in competition.

Be strong with the ball, rebound and play solid D.

Attack the pressure and let the guards bring us home. Chris is going to have control the pressure in this one like he did at Louisville last year.
allen- Whats the word on Bowen? What type of player is he..etc? As of now, not sure what to expect from him.

little raw. athlete and does have a nice jumper, but his feel for the game isn't where Starks/Lubick is at, a lot of that probably has to do with the High School programs they come from.

just hope he and Vee stick with it, there is a lot of playing time to be had next year.

first big test tonight against a ranked opponent. let's see what we're made of...

ESPN.com Game Preview

Missouri and Georgetown both survived scares in their respective season openers, and have made relatively easy work of their opponents since. The first true test of the season for each team may come against the other.

The No. 9 Tigers face the No. 16 Hoyas in Kansas City, Mo., on Tuesday as each team prepares for a more difficult part of its schedule.

Following a 62-59 win Nov. 12 against Old Dominion, Georgetown won its next five over mid-major opponents by an average of 16.0 points, including an 87-72 victory Saturday against UNC-Asheville.

Big East preseason player of the year Austin Freeman scored 32 points, shot 11 for 15 from the field and tied a school record with seven 3-pointers in the win. The Hoyas (6-0) broke the game open with a 23-0 run over an 8 1/2-minute span of the first half in which Freeman scored 10. Freeman's 20.2 points per game trail only Connecticut's Kemba Walker and West Virginia's Casey Mitchell in the Big East.

"I just wanted to be aggressive," Freeman said. "Just come out and take good shots, don't force anything."

Julian Wright added 16 points, but Georgetown committed a season-high 23 turnovers including six from Chris Wright and seven by Jason Clark.

"We're a work in progress," coach John Thompson III said. "There is a lot of room for growth in that locker room."

A victory against a top-10 team would be a step in the right direction with Temple looming Dec. 9 and 14th-ranked Memphis awaiting Dec. 23.

Missouri (5-0) is also undefeated, but nearly wasn't after its season opener. The Tigers trailed Western Illinois with three minutes remaining before pulling out a 66-61 victory. No Missouri player scored in double figures -- the first time that had happened since 1951.

Missouri started the second half on a 16-1 run Sunday and defeated Arkansas-Pine Bluff 91-63 behind a season-high 18 points from junior guard Kim English and Ricardo Ratliffe's 10 points and 10 rebounds.

"I've been playing pretty much consistently the same all season. I just try to be a common force out there," English said. "When I'm out there, I'm not worrying about anything else except winning."

Ratliffe, a junior transfer, recorded his third double-double of the season and his fourth game with at least 10 boards.

"He's a relentless rebounder," coach Mike Anderson said. "He can help us get our fast break started and it's nice when you have a guy you know will get you some boards."

The Tigers capitalized on 26 turnovers by the Golden Lions. They're forcing 22.8 per game, second-most in the nation.

After facing Georgetown, Missouri has a trip to Oregon on Thursday, a home date Dec. 8 against 5-1 Vanderbilt and the annual rivalry game in St. Louis against No. 20 Illinois on Dec. 22.

The Tigers and Hoyas last met Feb. 20, 1982, when Georgetown won 63-51.

Georgetown has won 16 of its last 17 regular-season non-conference matchups while Missouri has won its last 12.

damn, didn't realize we haven't played these dudes since ewing sr. was a hoya.

downy giving JT3 props...damn
laugh.gif

first time ever. won't last long.  he'll find something to give him bullocks for.

Back
Top Bottom