THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Originally Posted by taimaishu123

30t6p3b.gif

gtown will get tired tho. were not the fastest 40 mins in bball for nothing.

nah good game man. we got sloppy, but caught a big break at the end with that foul under 15 seconds.

freeman and wright obviously huge.

clark was huge...especially in OT. vee and sims both showing us something. lubick looked alright...eager to see him develop.

cue downyboy's anti JT3 rant in 3, 2, 1....

That really just happened.

This team has go to play defense, though. We are good enough to do really, really good things this year but they have to be committed on that end.

but that was incredible. amazing win.

no thanks to hollis' michael scott prayer with like 7 seconds left on the board

might be the biggest challenge to date so far this afternoon, IMO. Mentally, at least.

not as good of a team as Missouri, and probably almost on par with ODU/Nc State.

But, this is exactly a game we'd drop last year. We'll see just how focused this group is this year.

Chris is playing really, really well.

This was a very good performance. Won in a different way we haven't seen. Didn't get the outside looks but attacked.

The press really was the key to breaking it open.

The bigs keep fighting on the boards and collectively are doing a real nice job. Henry appears here to stay.

This win won't appeal to the masses, but come March, the committee will recognize it.

another test tonight against a tournament team. what else is new.

Speed up the game against this team, Hoyas are the better team..and the more possessions, the more likely we are to break away. If we let them slow it down, it turns into a brutal game like last year.

Really, just keep playing how we have been. that simple.

I hate looking ahead after the past 2 years tonight, but another W tonight and things will have really, really shaped up well heading towards Big East play.

TONIGHT'S GAME PREVIEW...courtesy of ESPN.com

Georgetown showed its versatility on offense in its most recent game. It might need more of the same to remain unbeaten Thursday night.

Finding ways to score could be difficult for the ninth-ranked Hoyas when they visit Temple looking to post the best start of coach John Thompson III's tenure.

Three-point shooting carried Georgetown's offense through November, shooting 44.9 percent from beyond the arc and hitting at least eight 3s in six of its first seven games.

Long-range shots were not as easily available Saturday against Utah State, and the Hoyas went a season-worst 2 for 9 from 3-point range but still won 68-51. Georgetown (8-0) shot 52.3 percent from the field to beat the three-time defending Western Athletic Conference champions, who entered the game holding opponents to 38.6 percent.

"Our team has done and is doing a good job of taking what the defense gives you. We don't have to make the 3s to win games," Thompson said. "Our goal offensively is to get a good shot, I don't care whether it comes in three seconds or 33 seconds."

Temple (5-2) is giving up 55.4 points per game and 37.2 percent shooting -- both tops in the Atlantic 10.

It was a defensive struggle when these teams met in Georgetown's home opener last season, with the Owls losing 46-45. Both teams shot below 36 percent from the field and were a combined 6 for 41 from 3-point range.

Chris Wright had a game-high 15 points in that win, and he's the reigning Big East player of the week after scoring 21 in each of the Hoyas' two games. He had 10 assists in an overtime win over then-No. 9 Missouri on Nov. 30.

Wright was 6 for 9 from the floor Saturday, and Georgetown is among the national leaders in field-goal shooting at 51.0 percent.

"I think we've been shooting the ball well, but we're also guys who are aggressive who attack the basket," Wright said.

The Hoyas are 8-0 for the third time in four years, but they haven't had a better start since opening 10-0 in 2003-04 in Craig Escherick's final season as coach before Thompson took over.

Accomplishing that feat might not be easy at the Liacouras Center, where the Owls have won 10 straight since a loss to then-No. 1 Kansas on Jan. 2. The previous three ranked teams to visit Temple's home floor all lost.

The Owls were ranked as recently as two weeks ago before losing two of three games at the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, but they've recovered with two straight wins.

Playing on Sunday near its opponent's campus, Temple became the first unranked team to beat Maryland with a 64-61 victory.

"Terrific win for us, no question about it, against a terrific basketball program," said coach Fran Dunphy, who will be going for his 400th coaching victory Thursday. "For us, it's sort of a road win and it's a game that hopefully we make some strides at being a better basketball team."

Ramone Moore fed Lavoy Allen for the go-ahead three-point play and scored 16 points for a second straight game. Temple is 5-0 when he reaches double figures.

While Allen seeks a third consecutive double-double, Georgetown star Austin Freeman looks to bounce back from his nine-point effort Saturday. The preseason Big East player of the year scored more than 30 in each of his previous two games.

DEFENSE!

someone on this team has to step up and turn into a stopper but EVERYONE needs to improve on that end.

I wasn't surprised they slowed our offensive down (again). They're great on that end and Dunphy knows III's system well.

but if we played any sort of defense we could grind that one out. The guards continue to not be able to keep anyone in front of them.

The offense will be good enough to be a great team. The rebounding continues to be surprisingly good. This team can be great, but they have to defend.

It is not a coincidence for Marcus Denmon, Armon Bassett, Ramone Moore, Dominique Jones, etc ,etc to take over games and have 'career nights.' defense has to improve.

hollis i really dislike you.

i don't really understand how we continue to allow 1 player on the opposing team beat us. is JT3 not pointing this out? or is there just a general lack of effort?

moses is available sunday, right?

pretty nice way to bounce back today.

Chris was great.

Nate/Henry looked good. Those 2 are going to be essential now because Julian's legs already look dead and stuck in cement.

nice to see Moses and Aaron both get on the board late.

Take care of Loyola and then have a shot to leave Memphis in a great spot.

courtesy of ESPN.com's Fran Fraschilla...

Georgetown

What I like about the Hoyas: Efficient offensive philosophy

Don't call it the "Princeton offense" in front of John Thompson III. Instead, call it efficient, because it is all set up to shoot layups and 3s. Because of one of the best backcourt trios in the country (Austin Freeman, Chris Wright and Jason Clark), the Hoyas are shooting 42 percent from deep, and even without Greg Monroe, almost 57 percent inside the arc.

What I don't like about the Hoyas: Unproven frontcourt

In the paint, Georgetown has been spoiled in recent years with the likes of Roy Hibbert, Jeff Green and Greg Monroe, all of whom are in the NBA. While senior Julian Vaughn has certainly stepped up his game, and big center Henry Sims has improved, the frontcourt still remains a soft spot in the Hoyas' lineup. Remember, JT3 is going with small forward Hollis Thompson at the power forward spot at the moment. That might present some offensive mismatches, but it could also be problematic defensively in the long run.

he considers us to be part of the Elite Tier of teams along with duke, kansas, ohio state, tennessee and pittsburgh. very interesting although i don't know if we're there...yet.

no letdowns needed today.

Want to see the younger guys get extended run. Moses, in particular.

And I'd like to keep seeing more of the Nate/Henry combo up front and to keep working on the press.

That last 9 minutes was...interesting. But good for the young guys to get their feet wet for that long. Bowen refuses to let the clock run out
laugh.gif

Julian's gota get it going. just looks slow and mechanical. He kind of is anyway, but shouldn't be to this extent. He looked great down in Charleston, he's gota get back to that.

Henry/Nate looked great again.

the guards were the guards.

nice to have legit depth.

Sims, at the urging of Coach John Thompson III, returned to his home town of Baltimore - not to work on his game, but rather to rededicate himself to it.
"I had gotten used to the college atmosphere," Sims said Wednesday. "I was on my own with no rules. I went home, and me and my mother sat down and had a lot of talks. She brought me back down to earth and laid it out for me plain and simple. Being at home with her for four weeks, it made me realize what I was doing all this for. She helped me refocus."

Thompson agreed with Sims's blunt self-assessment, saying, "Last year, Henry enjoyed college a little too much. But his mom is extremely important to him and a big influence on him, and collectively, they got him back on track. "

"His mental approach is much better than last year," Thompson said. "Last year, he almost thought he could just show up and good things would happen as opposed to understanding that mentally, physically, emotionally, you have to be prepared. He's also just been more serious about basketball, about his preparation.

"This year, he's realized that basketball is important to him."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/22/AR2010122205084.html
Henry
smokin.gif

There is no reason to not come outa Memphis with a W tonight. Guards need to do what they do and the bigs hit the glass and finish at the rim.

(I hope the guys break out the Cool Greys tonight. It'd only be right)

good read on sims.

this is a game we should be able to take, lets just hope we show up for the entire game.

cool greys would be dope, JB should have sent the team pairs.

sadly I will have to stream this game. parents got the spanish package on direct tv and for some reason direct tv thinks people that get the spanish package don't need espn 2. smh.

GEORGETOWN VS MEMPHIS GAME PREVIEW (ESPN.COM)

Memphis coach Josh Pastner has watched his young squad survive recent scares against lesser opponents as the Tigers attempt to jell. The Tigers will likely need to grow up in a hurry if they have any hope of beating experienced Georgetown.

Starting three freshmen and carrying only one senior, No. 16 Memphis continues a five-game homestand Thursday night against No. 10 Georgetown, which seeks its second victory against a ranked opponent.

The youth of the Tigers has shown at times, especially while struggling through its latest back-to-back home victories.

Memphis (9-1) trailed by 15 points in the second half last Thursday against Austin Peay before winning 70-68 in overtime, then the Tigers went down to the wire in a 68-63 victory Monday against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The closer-than-expected wins came after being blown out 81-68 against then-No. 4 Kansas on Dec. 7.

Pastner said his young players have had trouble adjusting to the pace of the college game in the transition from high school, and his players seem to agree.

"We've been going through this for the last couple of games," freshman Joe Jackson said of the struggles. "I knew we were going to win. That's how the game goes sometimes. It's up and down. We're young too. You have to take that into consideration."

Still, Memphis is off to it's second-best start in 20 years, and Pastner said winning games is what matters.

"We're 9-1," Pastner said. "The only better record you can have is 10-0."

The Tigers have won mainly with defense, ranking third in the nation at 11.2 steals per game. They've been playing without junior and leading scorer Wesley Witherspoon, who is expected to miss at least another three weeks following knee surgery.

Georgetown (10-1) counters with a trio of seniors in Austin Freeman, Chris Wright and Julian Vaughn. The Hoyas made easy work of Loyola (Md.) on Saturday in a 99-75 win despite limited practices because of finals week.

Freeman, who averages a team-high 18.5 points, scored 14 for the third straight game for Georgetown, which has won two straight since a loss at Temple on Dec. 9.

"I was extremely nervous coming into this game, just because of exams," coach John Thompson III said. "I wasn't sure how sharp were going to be."

Aside from the loss to the Owls, Georgetown has been relatively sharp all season. The Hoyas passed an early season test by winning at then-No. 9 Missouri on Nov. 30, and Wright is averaging 6.7 assists, good for 10th in the nation.

Junior guard Jason Clark scored 26 points in the overtime win against Missouri and is second in scoring at 14.2 points per game.

With exams out of the way, the Hoyas have been able to focus on the Tigers, who play an up-tempo style much like themselves. Both Georgetown (80.5) and Memphis (80.3) rank in the top 25 in scoring offense.

The teams last met Dec. 13, 2008, with Georgetown winning at home 79-70 in overtime.

Back
Top Bottom