THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

allen, deadsetace, and LMB- where the Sims hate from years past?
laugh.gif
wish someone could make a gif of his dunk.

anyone know if they're reshowing the game? feel like rewatching the last 3 minutes.

how much longer does Nate keep his starting job? meant to post this article yesterday...

Spoiler [+]
[h1]Nate Lubick’s input starts to show on stat sheet for Georgetown[/h1]
By Elliott Smith - Special to The Washington Times

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

memphis-georgetown-ba_hasc1_s160x295.jpg
Georgetown forward Nate Lubick is averaging 5.2 points and 5.7 rebound per game, to go along with 2.8 assists. (AP Photo/Eugene Tanner)

In his year-plus at Georgetown, Nate Lubick has earned a reputation as a grinder — one of those invaluable players who doesn't hesitate to do the dirty work in the post.

Banging the boards. Calling out defensive assignments. Tipping wayward passes. Little things that the discerning basketball viewer might see but which largely remain absent from the stat sheet.

However, in the Hoyas' 81-58 triumph over IUPUI on Monday, the numbers clearly told the tale of Lubick's efforts, as the 6-foot-8 sophomore forward posted a career-high 14 rebounds and game-high five assists to lead the way in a contest that was more difficult than the final score indicated.

"It was a good night for me," Lubick said. "I got after it on the boards, so it was a good night for my confidence."

Lubick came into the season with every right to be confident after playing in all 32 games as a freshman and averaging 4.0 points and 3.5 rebounds. But after a solid game in the opener against Savannah State, Lubick did not play particularly well in the Hoyas' next four games, with the nadir coming in a 0-for-6 shooting, four-rebound effort against Memphis at the Maui Invitational.

"In Maui, I think he got down on himself a little bit," sophomore guard Markel Starks said. "It was tough."

But Lubick is an even-keeled kind of guy, and so he won't admit to feeling pressure to produce once the Hoyas got back to the mainland.

"That's the best part of basketball at this level — you've got a ton of games to play and a ton of practices to get better," he said. "If you get down on yourself, that's when everything really goes wrong."

As the Hoyas prepare to visit No. 12 Alabama on Thursday, Lubick is an integral part of the team's success - a label usually not afforded to players who average just five points per game.

But Georgetown coach John Thompson III has stated on numerous occasions the importance of numbers beyond scoring, and he realizes he has an asset in Lubick.

"Nate is a helper," Thompson said. "We need him as a helper, but we need him on the boards like he was the other day. We need his presence defensively. And we need his communication level, because he has a good understanding of what's going on during the course of the game. Those are things that don't show up on the stat sheet."

Thompson added that he would like Lubick to become more of an offensive presence as well, shedding some of the selfless nature Lubick has shown with his passing.

"I do think we're going to need Nate to score points," Thompson said. "You find yourself as a coach telling him, 'Nate, try something.' Some people you tell to try something, and they're going to chuck it up come hell or high water. With Nate, you can say 'Nate, be more aggressive,' and at the end of the day he won't force anything. He'll make the right decision."

That's heady stuff for just a sophomore, but Lubick said the influence of Jason Clark and Hollis Thompson has been key in shaping his do-anything attitude.

"You have to credit them," Lubick said. "Whatever guy I have to be that night, it doesn't matter, as long as we win."

About the only thing unsettled in Lubick's game is his nickname. A fan favorite, Lubick has earned several distinct monikers, from "Thundersnow" to "Nate Dogg." Senior center Henry Sims chimed in during an interview that Lubick should be "The Great White Hope."

But Lubick remains partial to one given to him by ESPN.com writer Dave Telep during his high school days at St. Mark's School in Massachusetts.

"Vanilla Gorilla," Lubick said with a laugh. "It's been around for a while. I'll stick with that one."

nice to see hopkins get some minutes. looked a bit off to begin then settled in nicely.

despite this being a totally different team from years past, i still think I will hold back on my excitement. we know all to well of early season OOC success only to be followed by a mediocre BE season and failure in March. I do think this team is different, I just want them to prove it before I buy in 100%. Also, hope somehow voters find a way not to rank us next week.

FYI- black gtown shorts on eastbay, BOGO 50% sale all college gear. just got mine in, material is a bit different from recent shorts. they also made a clark jersey for this year (not sure if anyone is really interested in it).
02391416_z.jpg

Nice win last night. Talk about execution of play... Hollis draining that 3 was crazy. Is it just me or is it nice seeing Othella on the sidelines? I wonder if he's going to be able recruit in the south?

What has gotten into Henry, who the heck knows. Those baseline spin moves
laugh.gif
eek.gif

I think Nate is okay holding onto his starting job. I like Otto coming off the bench and if Otto is playing 35 minutes and Nate only 14 - like last night. That's kinda what you want, I think. 

It is a much more enjoyable team, still going to be lumps along the way in BE play. But the increased length and athleticism should make this a more stable team. Seeing an effective zone defense last night for the first time in 4 years was pretty nice. Greg at 6'9 at the top of the zone is 
pimp.gif

Nike could have at least thrown in the gray outline above 'Hoyas'
grin.gif

Othella can't recruit yet (nor can Broadus) but those 2 have had to have put Hunter/Brennan on the hot seat. Weren't brought in to get morning coffee for staff meetings. 

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

allen, deadsetace, and LMB- where the Sims hate from years past?
laugh.gif
wish someone could make a gif of his dunk.
i loved the explanation for his sudden emergence from fran. "henry just really loved college more than basketball in the past..."

can't blame him. i love rich drunk white girls too, henry...

allen - you're right about the shorts. looked back at some pics from last year, missing the grey line and the blue kente trim.

would be great if Nate could get back in form. judging from the comments last night during the game, LMB and deadset probably don't want to see him on the floor ever again.

allen - you're right about the shorts. looked back at some pics from last year, missing the grey line and the blue kente trim.

would be great if Nate could get back in form. judging from the comments last night during the game, LMB and deadset probably don't want to see him on the floor ever again.

I've always loved the kente trim but I know a lot of "people" joke & complain about it...

i mean when he first came back into the game in the 2nd half...my god. dude was a mess. couldn't even catch a pass. he settled down a bit...but he needs to be better. i don't care if he starts, really. just don't want him eating up major time until he gets it together.

I smh everytime i see nate on the court. But, like stated above as long as porter gets more playing time then I cant rlly be to mad. Man is a liability on offense tho like no other

Transition defense tonight. Do it well and win, don't..lose.

hopefully a good crowd tonight considering it's the one marquee out of conference game on the schedule.

From what I have heard is Clydes is packed already. Usually a good sign that there should be a decent crowd.

Hope we see at least one of the guys in concords...oh and hope we win also.

go tigers.

good to get a comfortable win when we probably didn't play great. also nice for Henry to go for 12 and 9 and come away feeling like it was a sub-par game for him.

Really like what Markel is turning in to. I had very, very high expectations with him entering last year and glad I don't look so dumb now.

Better stuff from Nate, becoming pretty clear he's not going to be an offensive threat..so if he defends and hits the boards for his 20 mins, at this point -- I guess you take it.

Otto and Jabril..good and good. Rough night for Greg after that crap flagrant on him. I still want to see Hopkins get thrown in the mix a little bit. Even if it's just 3 minutes.

Hollis was Hollis & I really can't say much bad at all about Jason Clark this year. Keep proving me wrong.

hope everyone got their concords who wanted 'em. Would Be nice to see the team break them out at Louisville.

merry x-mas to all the hoya fans and everyone who's been following and posting on the thread. hope all of you guys have a good one.

louisville up next!

finally, the start of big east play. against #4 ranked l'ville. let's make this a good one. they should be scared of us, not the other way around.

that's a monster win. a good one for the young guys to get some mental toughness and experience in a game that got tight late against a strong opponent.

porter tonight was awesome. he was everywhere and huge cleaning up rebounds. hit some big free throws down the stretch to seal it.

would have liked to see more starks. when he finally came back in during the second half, hit those big threes which helped get us a cushion for a while until we did the usual and got sloppy
laugh.gif

I absolutely love this FR class + Starks.

so glad to see Hopkins get some minutes. Greg's length saves/makes up for someone else at least 2-3 times a game. Jabril was huge in the 1st half.

Starks turned into the shot maker that was needed tonight and I'm already starting to take Otto for granted. He is just so damn good at everything.

To win on the road with Henry, Jason and Hollis all (Hollis was okay, but not anything special) giving underwhelming performances is pretty impressive.

I saw this on ESPN college basketball nation blog. focuses on the importance of Porter...

No. 12 Georgetown 71, No. 4 Louisville 68: Raising eyebrows, turning heads -- whatever your preferred phrasing, the Georgetown Hoyas just keep on doing it. The last time Georgetown lost a game came in the Maui Invitational, in a 67-63 loss to the Kansas Jayhawks. Since then, this team has beaten Memphis twice, Alabama at Alabama, and now Louisville at Louisville, and why? Freshmen. Particularly Otto Porter.

Of course, Georgetown's veterans have been great, too. Henry Sims is one of the nation's most improved players and one of its best passing big men; Hollis Thompson has become a versatile scorer and stretch forward; Jason Clark remains an excellent shooter. But for all those players' improvements, Georgetown is a different team this season largely thanks to Porter, a once-unheralded, later-touted recruit from a small town in southeast Missouri -- Sikeston, Mo., to be exact -- who didn't play AAU basketball. Porter eventually became a top-50 recruit, according to most analysts, but he appears to have been drastically underrated. Porter's 14 points and 14 rebounds -- borne from his unique combination of size, length, ball skills, intuitive rebounding, toughness and scoring -- were among the main reasons Georgetown was able to leave the Yum! Center with a win Wednesday night.

Perhaps most impressive about Porter -- not to mention emerging sophomore Markel Starks (7-of-8 from the field, 4-of-4 from 3, 20 points) -- is the consistency with which he's looked more like a junior than a freshman. Unlike so many players ranked ahead of him in the 2011 ESPNU 100, Porter hasn't needed time to adjust to the college game, whether physically or mentally. He's ready now. In turn, the Hoyas -- who, like Porter, were barely mentioned before the season -- are looking like bonafide Big East contenders.

Back
Top Bottom