THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

also read this on ESPN.com. it's from about a week ago, talking about Sim's drastic improvement...

Update:One aspect of Henry Sims' game that has improved in his senior season is his assist rate. The big man is the epitome of a John Thompson III big -- someone who is able to occupy the high post and distribute from that area. Sims has the best assist ratio of any Hoya (22.9 percent, according to John Hollinger) and he even has a better assist rate than Greg Monroe in 2010, when Monroe was a sophomore.

How unexpected was Henry Sims' breakout senior season (12.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg)? Lets put it this way -- prior to this season, the Hoyas' 6-foot-10 big man never averaged more than 3.6 points or 3.2 rebounds per game.

Credit for Sims' emergence has to go to the Georgetown coaching staff, but Jon Rothstein of CBS writes today that it also goes to the player himself.

"No college player may have benefited from the NBA lockout more than Henry Sims," writes Rothstein. "Georgetown's senior big man regularly worked out with former Hoya stars Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert who were regularly at the school's DC campus and it's helped Sims lay the ground work for a memorable senior season. After being a marginal contributor during his first three seasons, Sims is third in scoring for Georgetown and is leading the Hoyas in assists. Don't be surprised if this is the Big East's improved player."

Want Jason to get things going today..Maui Jason needs to reemerge at some point.

Henry has the chance to have a big game. Not much of a front-line for Providence.

Just come ready to go and play hard, starts with the 3 upperclassmen -- NO letdowns.

Well, tough to complain about being 2-0 with Jason and Hollis playing like crap. But today was terrible.

Otto is tremendous.

Forget it, and please play better and Wednesday.

can't remember the last time a gtown big man rebounded like a gtown big man (sweetney perhaps?), but porter has given us something we haven't had in years. saving grace. the dude is a blessing to this team.

despite the poorly played game, we got tough in the last few minutes and got the W and that's what matters.

onto the next one.

good to be back and heading to the phone booth tonight.

its 2012 now and its time to see what this team is really made of.

probably only catch the first half tonight.

gotta win this. already looked weak again the friars. re-establish ourselves here tonight.

Get back on defense and don't turn the ball over.

think we should get better shots compared to Saturday and hopefully make them this time. Jason, find your shot..PLEASE.

This team can play defense. Just do it from the start next time, thanks.

Jason stepped up without Markel and turned into a player I did not think existed within him.

Greg, Otto, Jabril..awesome on defense. Huge 6 minutes from Mikael in the 2nd half.

Henry and Hollis finally brought it late.

Horrific first half, great 2nd and an Awesome win.

Hope Markel is okay.

this one left my speechless for a while.

Austin's UCONN comeback started right out of the gate in the 2nd half..this one took a while and just is indeed stunning.

Can't throw enough praise towards the FR at this point.

Horrible first half with transition D and weakside defense. Putting alot of that on Hollis. He was playing that Austin Freeman style of defense.

This game showed what the frosh are all about. Believe it was Clark, plus Hopkins, Trawick, Whittington and Porter in the second half where the defense intensity really changed in our direction.

Nice to see Hollis bounce back those last five minutes and actually make an effort on defense.

Can't say enough about Whittington on the defensive end. He's a frosh so not worried about his offensive, however, I'm still wondering what to expect from him on that end.

Will Sims ever dunk the ball???

Lubick, please find yourself this team needs you.

Hopkins has earned more minutes. Yes, he is erratic on offense and at times forces the issue, but he has come up big in several of our big match ups.

looks like i missed a wild one tonight. glad to read from y'all that the frosh really stepped up. glad to hear we were able to recover and take control back in the 2nd.

Impressive..... @ Downyboy How is Lubich gonna find himself? He has no offensive game never has.

I'd kill for Nate to play like he did last year, I thought he was a little better against Providence but tonight was another step backwards. Sure looks like the guy just did not work on his game at all this summer, he can play..but if he doesn't put in the work to get a jumper...he will not start next year..and that's if he's lucky and doesn't lose his job in the next 2 months.

Greg on defense is phenomenal. At his size to check a guy like Johnson-Odom is pretty special..I don't think III has had a weapon like him on defense before. Jeremiah was his stopper, but this is a 6'8/6'9 kid. I think his offense is going to come..that was his rep coming in out of HS, he was known as a shooter.

k3- not looking for him to be a scorer, just need him to be active and be an energy guy on the boards like last year. you're right, his offensive skills aren't much, but he has the frame and some ok moves which he can build on. if he can just return to last year's form that will be enough for me. then get to work in the off season.

WHAT A GAME. missed the first half, was able to watch the second half when marquette took that 17-point lead. it would have been easy to dismiss this team at that point and shut the tv off, but these guys don't cease to surprise me. they just don't give up. i don't know what it is. they just refuse to lose and go out swinging. a lot of credit to the freshmen playing major minutes in the 2nd half. it would be easy for freshmen on any team to fold right then and there, but these guys made the necessary adjustments, played stingy defense, and made their shots. marquette just couldn't recover. very proud of these guys. STAY HUNGRY.

think today gave a glimpse of what the limitations are.

Henry..he is limited. today is not a game for him, nor will Monday night. He's just physically weak, going to struggle. What irritated me is he couldn't take advantage of the 2 FR that WVU had on him for stretches.

Markel has to snap out of his funk immediately.

Jason has to make a perimeter shot again, right?

Hollis frustrates me to no end with how average of a FT shooter he is.

no problems with the FR (otto finally played like one) but it is critical they all work on their shots and improve them this summer.

just a tough match-up, especially of of Wednesday night. I do think it's a game they can take a lot from, but they have to get right back it because they'll get a similar team coming in Monday night that's playing well.

Call me a homer, but I was not impressed with Jones at all.

Hollis playing that Freeman type defense. Smh, make a damn FT.

Sims gotta go baseline in the post. His predictable to the lane post move just ain't going to be effective if that's the only move he's trying.

Nate had a "decent" game. Love how JT3 gives him 2 mins at the beginning of each half, then goes right to the bench. hahaha.

JT3 aggravates me to no end forcing Sims and Lubick in the game while Hopkins is stuck on the bench. Shoulda went with the 4 frosh line up in the second half.

I didn't expect to win the game, although I feel we should have been able to pull it out.

Time to get back on track. Good luck and get well Jeff.

good point on Henry. We saw him break out that baseline spin move early in the year and haven't seen it since. He's trying to do this step through against stronger guys and it's not working, he needs to use his quickness.

think tonight is a big game, if we win it really sets things up nicely. a loss isn't the end of the world but it will be a wasted opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom