THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Hard to be optimistic when the same things keep happening year in, year out.

Turnovers, stepping on endlines, handing the ball over in bounds passes, getting torched by average guards, no accountability, etc. It's all the same. All the things I hate about this program right now.

Where the heck was Nate late? kid actually played a great game for the first time this year and got to watch everyone else piss it away. Nice.

Can't stop anyone off the dribble? Where's Jabril?

It's crap, and I can't blame the players anymore. It's on the staff. You can't keep doing the same passive $@$%**%@ and expect different results. And youth isn't an excuse when you have 2 SR's and a 4th yr JR on the floor trying to close things out.

Gave III a mulligan for what I felt was poor effort from past players but to see this stuff pop up again this week is very disturbing. FIX IT.

underwhelmed by Hoyas effort tonight- not a fan, but I thought they were a better team than Cincy @ home.  Not the case- Cincy has some players.  Should be top half in the Big East when all shakes out- watch out for them and Seton Hall I think if they can stay focused.

[h2]Georgetown hosts Chinese high school team[/h2]
Posted on: January 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Score: 132

Log-in to rate:

[table][tr][td]
Gtownchina.jpg
[/td][/tr][tr][td]The Hoyas took the extra effort to repair the image and relationship between American and Chinese basketball this week. (AP) [/td][/tr][/table]
By Matt Norlander

In the midst of a surprisingly good campaign, Georgetown hoops didn't need to do this. Didn't need the PR or the reminder of what happened last summer with the Bayi Rockets. But Georgetown's claimed all along that fight marred, only temporarily, what was an incredible trip. There were games after the fight, games that started and ended without a problem.

Seems the Hoyas are doing their best to make their team synonymous with good global diplomacy, as they hosted a high school team from China this week. USA Today's Nicole Auerbach reported Georgetown was a planned stop for Nanyang Model High School. Perhaps it was in an effort to -- I guess "ease tensions" is too strong a phrase so I'll go with -- relax the relationship between American and Chinese hoops. A small but meaningful meet-up.
The Chinese players took photos with [Georgetown coach John] Thompson [III], and they also received pins and Georgetown T-shirts from the coach. More than most, Thompson understands and appreciates foreigners welcoming a basketball team with open arms and helping them explore a new culture.

"We had a great experience over there, the time we were in Beijing and Shanghai," Thompson said. "Part of that, above and beyond the basketball component is the cultural exchange, learning about their culture.

"This team is coming over here for a couple of games, and they contacted us. We just wanted to welcome them here and show them a little bit of Georgetown."

The team is from Shanghai and in fact is the same school where Yao Ming played ball when he was a young, sprite 160 centimeters or so. According to the trip organizer, Joe Cooley, this kind of host-and-play trip is the first of its kind for a Chinese high school team. It's also made stops in Chicago, Buffalo and Pennsylvania. They're also heading up to see a Knicks game this weekend, according to Auerbach's article.

Good on Georgetown, who plays at St. John's Sunday.

went to the game yesterday. First time seeing the young guys live. 
Greg and Otto were awesome and thought Mikael played really well, too. Those 3 would have got a collective game ball.

Hollis showed up to hit his shots in the 2nd half but thought he played a nice overall game on defense as well. 

Henry/Nate combo...well, if this team is going to play better late it's on them. The FR have been responsible for the L'Ville win and probably half of the Marquette and SJU wins now. Time for them to get in gear. And that includes Markel as he's been awful every since his spill in the Marquette game. Hopefully playing a wide-open game against DePaul will allow him to make some plays and get back into things. 

JT3 really needs to have shorter leash with some of these guys in the first half. Went away from the 4 frosh and pitt went on a 11-0 run.

Hollis, feel free to stay on the bench.

Otto must start after today. I don't care if it's at Markel or Nate's expense but it has to happen.

Nate and Markel are crippling this team.

For the love of god, get an athletic PG to run this team an create easier looks. I'd prefer to see Jabril start next to Jason right now instead of Markel.

I say bench Hollis in favor of Otto. Tough stretch coming up. Wonder if JT3 will make the change with UCONN, USF and 'Cuse on the horizon.

let's come back strong against uconn. we'd be in more trouble if this was at storrs, don't know if we could handle the game there, so it's good it's at verizon. crowd's on our side. gonna be a packed house, i'm thinking.

i'm still pissed about losing to them last season, so there's gotta be some revenge in this game.

can't give up an 18-point lead to start the game like we did against pitt. cannot play the whole game trying to climb out of the hole. stick with what works. don't make unnecessary changes. i expect to see a LOT from otto tonight. we're going to have our hands full handling lamb and drummond. henry, it's a good time to get back into beast mode.

HBD deadset.

Ugly win but I'll take it.

No one will be on my side, but Nate gave us some decent minutes last night.

Hollis shut me up. Its not his offense I'm worried about, its his defense. He can be lazy like Freeman.

Lets get Mikael some more minutes.

Since the concussion/getting kocked out Starks has not been right. Don't mind if Jabril takes some of those minutes...guy hustles like no other on defense.

Early saturday morning game this weekend, ugh.

thanks, homes
pimp.gif

good win...but conn looked like crap (the cold spell in the first half after that start
laugh.gif
sick.gif
). but good to win and ALWAYS good to beat conn.

I want more Mikael, too. He makes me less worried about losing Henry this year (never thought I'd say I'd miss Henry). Confident, plays hard and has a whole lot of talent.

Thought Hollis put together one of his better all around games and Jason has really improved on defense this year.

while the offense wasn't good again..at least Jason and Hollis made sure they were going to get the ball and it looked III threw in a new wrinkle or two to make sure that happened. This isn't the year to be such an equal opportunity offense, those 2 need to lead the way on that end.

It's a weird season, Nate in a season long slump, then Markel joins him..Hollis goes AWOL for a game or 2, FR have some up and downs...it's very nice to sit at 17-4 and 7-3 when everyone has yet to be on the same page and not having played a complete game in a while.

I think unlike the past 2 years, there is still an upside left with this team since they're winning games on the defensive end and the offense still needs to catch up. Would rather have it that way than waiting for a defense to ever show.

i'll take the W. liked the monster jam by Sims. starks worries me. coach has little patience for him. remember that 2 on 1 fast break? instead of passing, he takes an awful layup off the high part of the glass, immediately benched. hoping he figures it out soon. he's the only true PG. i guess we're able to cover up that deficiency because we have passers all around, including Sims. always room to improve.

NERLENS NOEL, ANYONE? what are our chances of getting him? i know we're on his list and i know he likes us because of Monroe. when sims is gone, that center spot could be his right off the bat. below is the info on him from ESPN...

ESPN's Dave Telep is reporting tonight that Tilton School big man and Everett native Nerlens Noel, previously the nation's No. 2 overall junior, will re-classify from the Class of 2013 to his original Class of 2012.

Noel transferred from Everett High to the Tilton, N.H. prep school over the summer of 2010, following his sophomore season with the Crimson Tide. But he re-classified to the Class of 2013, repeating his sophomore year.

More so, Noel will soon be taking college visits. Telep has more on the Basketball Recruiting Blog:

"I just thought over the season that I thought I was getting a higher level of competition and was working on my game," Noel said. "I reclassified because I was hurt but I feel like I'm ready to play at the next level."

Two weeks ago, Noel was the dominant big man at the HoopHall Classic. Though he'd been thinking about making the move since November, that event helped to push him toward the decision. "It kind of put me over the top but it was on my mind for a while," Noel said.

Noel and Jabari Parker (Chicago, Ill./Simeon) were head to head engaged in a battle for the top spot in the loaded 2013 class. There is reason to believe that Noel will slide past Shabazz Muhammad (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) and take over the No. 1 spot in the Class of 2012.

Next up for Noel is selecting a college. He has five visits and his first will be to Syracuse the weekend of Nov. 11. He’s been to Providence and Connecticut and may not need official visits to the local schools.

"I'm ready to do it. It's a short window of time to pick a school and that's a concern to get out there and visit and maintain all my schoolwork." In addition to Syracuse, UConn and Providence, Kentucky, Florida, Georgetown and North Carolina are on his list.

"I think I'm going to visit Kentucky, Florida, Georgetown and North Carolina," Noel said. "Some of the coaches gave me dates but I have a couple of big games on those days so they're not really planned yet."

Noel won't rush his decision but his recruiting will be conducted quickly and will culminate this spring. “There’s not really a timeframe for me to wrap it up. I just want to get in as many visits to these schools before signing day.

I love that if this year you mess up or play lazy - your %$! is hitting the bench immediately. Didn't think III had that in him. 
Nerlens will be a tough recruitment to win. Kentucky and Syracuse look like the top options but can't ever count G'Town (and JT JR specifically) out of it with a big man. 

They're trying to get him and his mom to visit for a weekend game soon (Villanova most likely since that's Alumni Weekend and what other game is left?). A spring visit would have been ideal, but they don't know how long this process is going to be, so have to move quickly. That according to a Georgetown staff member I talked to this morning (the connection there lol - it's a long story - Thought there was an inside track but that might not get to be utilized now) I've talked to Nerlens off and on but he gives up nothing. He's interested but that might not be enough. 

Staff is still lurking with Tony Parker, JTIII and JT2 went to see him live last week..but that one seems to be a reach. 

Back
Top Bottom