THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

not there tonight (finals week), decided on a DC trip this year to catch a home game....will get there for BET if yall around for that one.

Sweet win. Monroe really stepped up as the game progressed. That was good to see. I'd like to see him get a little more consistent with finishing offplays, but I can't complain when he throws down 24. Freeman was nice last night as well. I have a couple pics I'll post later cause I can't do itfrom my phone. P.S. That was my first time at MSG. Cool place

Liked what I saw, all around.

A lot people seem to want to pick out negatives and get on Chris, he was bad...he did not force the issue much, or shots...he made his FT's down thestretch....some careless plays, but he should not be a concern.

Austin shooting the ball and not being off balance/fading way....hard work in the off season paying off.

Love all the young guys; Hollis/Jason/Vee/Jerelle/Henry....keep it up.

not sure how Benimon slipped through the cracks, but glad he did. kid brings a game that has been needed for a while on this team.

Did pretty well on D and winning on the boards again, good signs.

Keep improving.We beat UDub......we'll have put ourselves in a real good spot early.

...Deadset were yall siting together on the baseline?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

...Deadset were yall siting together on the baseline?
you got us...

303a9sw.jpg

left to right...downy, deadset, lmb

When Georgetown signed Vee Sanford and Jerrelle Benimon on consecutive days in April, the national recruiting needle never flickered. Eight months later, the pair have joined Hollis Thompson on a freshman-centric bench to turn depth from an expected weakness to a blossoming strength for the 15th-ranked Hoyas.

"There's no question that we have a chance to be deeper than people expected," said coach John Thompson III, whose Hoyas (7-0) meet No. 17 Washington (6-1) on Saturday in the John Wooden Classic in Anaheim, Calif. "The development of those three freshmen has been and will continue to be key to that depth."

As expected, Hollis Thompson (5.4 points, 2.9 rebounds) has emerged as the team's sixth man. The 6-foot-7 swingman was a consensus top-50 recruit in the prep class of 2009. He graduated early from Los Angeles' Loyola High School last December, enrolled at Georgetown and spent the meat of last season as a redshirt practice player.

But immediate contributions were not anticipated from Sanford and Benimon - at least not by recruiting insiders, who listed the former as a three-star guard well below the coveted top 100 and never even saw the latter.

"We had an idea with Hollis, obviously, because he was here practicing with us last year," John Thompson said. "He doesn't look like a freshman out there. He's settled. But you never know with freshmen - no matter what kind of accolades they bring. With Vee and Jerrelle, however, we knew immediately once they got here that we had two guys we could use this season and two guys who have a chance to have really special careers at Georgetown."

A first-team all-state shooting guard at Lexington (Ky.) Catholic who averaged 22.4 points as a senior, the 6-3 Sanford likely would have ended up at Kentucky if Billy Gillispie had remained as coach. But once John Calipari took over, Sanford became an afterthought as Calipari began his 11th-hour courtship of prep studs John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. So Sanford inked with the Hoyas.

Virtually no recruitniks saw Benimon, a brawny, 6-7 power forward who averaged 21 points, 17 rebounds, seven assists and four blocks for Fauquier High School in Warrenton, Va. Despite the gaudy numbers, Benimon was overlooked because he was dominating in the recruiting dead zone otherwise known as the I-66 corridor. Benimon might have been "discovered" on the AAU circuit, but he didn't play the summer after his junior season because of an injury.

"Recruiting is a very inexact science. Just because the so-called experts and gurus rank guys number whatever doesn't mean they're right," said Thompson, who has unearthed hidden gems before, including All-Big East point guard Jon Wallace. "Look, they don't miss on the Greg Monroes and John Walls. But after the top few guys, there are literally hundreds of guys out there who could be great given the right fit."

So what makes Thompson and others around the program giddy about the prospects of Sanford and Benimon? Well, first there was the rumor that Sanford dominated Georgetown's preseason scrimmage with Virginia Tech.

"He tore us up," coach Seth Greenberg confirmed. "After the game, I said, 'OK, John, give. Who the hell is that kid?' "

Then there is the slowly expanding role of both players as Thompson begins to lengthen his bench with Benimon back after missing three games with a high ankle sprain. In the team's most recent victory - 72-65 against No. 22 Butler on Tuesday - Sanford and Benimon played only six minutes combined, but they made them memorable.

"Vee steps on the floor at Madison Square Garden for the first time late in the first half of a tight game and immediately gets a steal and makes two free throws," Thompson said. "Jerrelle makes his MSG debut in the second half when we're really struggling on both ends and picks up three rebounds and maybe the most important bucket of the game in five minutes. Look, both of those guys have a long way to go, but that was impressive. Both have more presence than most freshmen."

Benimon's bucket, a board-crashing putback, halted a 12-2 Butler run and put the Hoyas up 56-47 with 8:12 remaining.

"I love the presence both of those guys have," Thompson said. "It's part basketball savvy and part effort. They work their butts off, and you've only just seen the first glimpses. They both have very bright futures."

pimp.gif

Jason should follow Thomas all over the court today.

Rebound, stay outa foul trouble and make shots.

How the *%%# did we not get Mo Creek in a Hoyas uniform. I'll take him over ANY G we got not named Wright, Freeman, or Clark

GU vs UW PREVIEW

Washington failed the only real test it had. Georgetown just passed a big one.

Each team faces another tough challenge Saturday, though it may be more important to the psyche of the 17th-ranked Huskies.

They still don't have an impressive win on their resume -- and the Pac-10 might not present them with many chances for one -- so handing the No. 15 Hoyastheir first loss could provide a key boost of confidence.

"The next one is a heavyweight fight," Huskies captain Quincy Pondexter said of this matchup at the Wooden Classic in Anaheim, Calif.

This marks only the second time Washington (6-1) has had to play away from home or face a team from a major conference. The first such game came Dec. 3 in a99-92 overtime loss at unbeaten Texas Tech -- unranked at the time but now No. 23.

The Huskies bounced back to beat Cal State Northridge 88-76 on Sunday.

"We've still got a lot of growing to do," Pondexter said after scoring 20 points to see his team-leading average dip to 22.0 per game.

Pondexter is the lone senior on a team facing the most daunting portion of its schedule. After playing Georgetown (7-0), the Huskies meet previously rankedPortland next Saturday before facing No. 16 Texas A&M.

Coach Lorenzo Romar sees this stretch as good preparation for Pac-10 play even though his Huskies are the conference's lone ranked team.

"Now starts what you could call the 'pre-Pac-10' part of our schedule," Romar said. "Top 25 opponents, opponents who will come out andreally test us."

Hoyas coach John Thompson III had a similar idea in mind this week, with the difference being his team is tuning up for a conference schedule that includesfive current Top 25 teams.

Georgetown hadn't beaten a ranked team or even one from a major conference before knocking off No. 22 Butler 72-65 on Tuesday.

"This is a week that was put together by design, it wasn't by accident" Thompson said. "In the Big East we will play a tough game on Tuesdayor Wednesday and then another tough one on Saturday. I want our guys to be used to that emotional ride."

The Hoyas have a big advantage inside for this matchup, with center Greg Monroe going against a team which has no player taller than 6-foot-9 MatthewBryan-Amaning.

The 6-11 Monroe is coming off the best performance of his career, finishing with 24 points and 15 rebounds Tuesday. The reigning Big East rookie of the year isaveraging a team-high 15.3 points and ranks second in the conference with 10.7 boards per game.

His presence creates space for Georgetown's perimeter players, who have shot 35 of 78 from 3-point range (44.9 percent) in the last five games.

"Greg gets everybody else open because they have to pay attention to him," said Austin Freeman, who had 18 points and was 4 of 5 from beyond the arcagainst Butler.

Freeman, Chris Wright and Jason Clark are the other scorers averaging in double figures for Georgetown.

They all start in the backcourt and could take turns trying to slow down Isaiah Thomas, last season's Pac-10 freshman of the year who is only 5-8 butaveraging 20.3 points.

The production of the 6-6 Pondexter may be key because he could often face the much bigger Monroe in the post. Pondexter ranks among the Pac-10's top threein free throws made (51) and percentage (87.9), but Monroe has avoided foul trouble this season and hasn't finished any game with more than three fouls.

The first meeting between these schools marks Georgetown's first game in California since 2001.

first off, great game vs butler. it definitely helped that deadset came thru with some major tickets. got to give props to every hoya on the squad, along withsome high fives and

pounds. it also didn't hurt that we made it on national tv. great job out there. we played to win. i said in my previous post that we just keep doing whatwe're doing and i'd like to

see greg put up a big game...and there you go, career night for him with 25 points, 15 boards, and 2 blocks. yeah, he took some bad shots, but i think hispositives far ouweigh

those negatives. he was aggressive, he wanted the ball most of the time, he was tough on the boards, played hard inside, everything that you'd expect fromhim. good shooting

from freeman. good contributions from every member of that squad, whether it was good free throw shooting from Wright to like allen posted, some high-intensityminutes from

sanford and benimon. would have liked to see some better free throw shooting in the end. i was praying that we didn't end up like hapless memphis in the 08national

championship. got to talk to sanford for a few minutes after the game, giving him praise and hoping for some more playing time for him. also joked with him totell me what the deal

is with roscoe, but you know, no surprise he won't say anything.

as for today's game, it's good to be back in cali. washington is no joke. we play another tough, ranked team who loves to score. we slow em down withsome good defense, give

some good inside play, high intensity, get tough on the boards, and make our shots, especiallyn (obviously easier said than done), but i think we'll befine. everyone's gotta

contribute. definitely would like to see another big time game from monroe. we'll need it from him. HOYAS, GET BIG.

Great week. We were supposed to be there today but housing fell through and ended up going to butler game instead, which turned out sick.

Vaughn! What a turn around. Did not expect this type of play from him at all. Him and Monroe seem to be getting comfortable with each other. Sims looking morelike the odd man out.

Surprised Benimon did not see some mins. today. He's the hustle type player this team needs on the boards.

Wright is killing me. Waaaay too many turnovers and over penetration.

Silly, lazy passes are still hurting this team...in addition to not being able to finish halves.

I am hesitant to get excited about this team considering last year's collapse.

And, where did the black jerseys come from?? Not bad. Wish we came out Fab 5 style with black socks and black kicks.

i think the way julian was goin today probably is why Benimon didn't get a little bit of minutes.

That guy is just a completely different person this year

Chris still needs to a better job, but he's defending and he's not forcing much...but still he needs to pick his spots better. The initial passes tostart the offense can be lazy at times (why?), and that's with all the guards.

Austin is in much better shape...he missed that dunk but he was up there...he's moving well, shots weren't falling today but he's just become areally solid player.

Clark is as lock down defender, I think already.

We still haven't faced a team with a great front line, but UW was one of the best Offensive rebounding teams in the nation entering today, and we gave upnada. The effort on the glass and on D has really been upped.

Those uni's were
pimp.gif
...as long as we win in em, I love em.

ODU and now harvard both aren't cupcakes, hope they bring it. finish this OOC slate right.

the disney land trip musta helped

13069_203313105737_503215737_3569101_3064894_n.jpg

Originally Posted by Al3xis

13069_203313105737_503215737_3569101_3064894_n.jpg

roll.gif

pimp.gif

good to get the win. but very sloppy. gotta clean it up if we wanna keep it up. we went a little 3 crazy in the first half which was frustrating to seeconsidering we ended up blowing that nice little lead we built up. luckily we came out strong in the 2nd half and just got the job done.

and i agree with y'all...julian has done a total 180...huge.

GU VS ODU GAME PREVIEW (ESPN.COM)

Following back-to-back wins over ranked teams -- the latest came after a cross-country trip -- Georgetown returns home hoping to avoid a letdown as it facesOld Dominion on Saturday.

The 11th-ranked Hoyas (8-0) are off to their best start since going 10-0 to open 2003-04 -- the season before John Thompson III was named coach.
Their impressive season-opening run continued last Saturday, beating then-No. 17 Washington 74-66 in Anaheim, Calif. That win came four days after a 72-65victory over then-No. 22 Butler at Madison Square Garden, and Thompson said the scheduling was by design.
"Washington and Butler have two really different styles of play," Thompson said. "I wanted that (challenge), because within our league, we havethat on a weekly basis."
Before opening Big East play against St. John's on New Year's Eve, Georgetown tunes up with home games against Old Dominion (6-4) and Harvard onWednesday.
While star center Greg Monroe keyed the two latest wins with a combined 39 points and 16 rebounds, Julian Vaughn provided a spark last Saturday with his bestperformance of the season.
The junior forward made 7 of 9 shots for a season-high 18 points while pulling down seven rebounds last Saturday. It was a far better effort than his fourpoints and five rebounds against the Bulldogs.
Vaughn, used as a reserve last season after transferring from Florida State, has struggled to be consistent. He's the only starter not averaging doubledigits in scoring with 8.6 points and 5.8 boards per game.
"Jules is going to have a few more nights like (last Saturday)," Thompson said. "He's done a really good job being a presence for us. Wejust went to him, and he did what he was supposed to do."
The Hoyas have split four meetings with the Monarchs, winning the last one 66-48 on the road Nov. 28, 2007.
Old Dominion, however, beat then-No. 8 Georgetown 75-62 in the last meeting at McDonough Arena on Nov. 19, 2006. That stands as the Hoyas' only loss oncampus in six games under Thompson -- they usually play at the Verizon Center.
The Monarchs have since dropped four in a row to Top 25 opponents.
Repeating that upset might be a tall task for Old Dominion, which has dropped four of six after a 4-0 start.
The Monarchs haven't played since Dec. 11, losing 58-50 at Dayton while making 2 of 15 attempts from beyond the arc. They've struggled from 3-pointrange over the last five games, connecting on 21.4 percent.
Senior forward Gerald Lee, though, is providing a strong presence in the paint, averaging 15.9 points in the last seven games.
Lee had 24 points and 12 boards in the last meeting with Georgetown, but he didn't have to face the 6-foot-11 Monroe, who is averaging 15.3 points and 10.3rebounds.

off the 2 big wins, exam week, against a good team. playing in mcdonough is always interesting.....will not be easy.

hope they're ready.

they were great today.

When we go in droughts, i really would prefer Austin to become the guy to step up and go get a bucket, between his handle, body control and shot...he's themost capable.

Still some head scratching turnovers, if those ever get cut out...they'll be tough to beat.

Hollis was out there more than i realized today, he kinda can fly under the radar, and not really in a bad way. He never gets beat and his mistakes he keeps toa minimal. once his shots start falling he's really going to be an even more valuable asset.

Sims and Benimon, gota keep coming along.

9-1 is a good starting point considering the schedule so far. Now the real season starts.

postgame report from ESPN...

Coming off its first loss of the season, Georgetown was stuck in a something of a struggle against Harvard, tied late in the first half Wednesday.

That's when Chris Wright, Greg Monroe and the Hoyas seized control.

Led by Wright's career-high 34 points and Monroe's 16 points and 16 rebounds, and propelled by a half-ending 11-0 run, Georgetown (No. 13 ESPN/USAToday, No. 14 AP) pulled away to beat Harvard 86-70.

"We just outworked them today," said Monroe, last season's Big East rookie of the year.

The 6-foot-11 sophomore played a significant role in the game-changing spurt, with three rebounds, two blocks, two steals, an assist and a basket. By the timehe and his teammates were done, a game that was 33-all with 3½ minutes left in the half was 44-33 at halftime.

"We were never able, obviously, to recover," Harvard coach Tommy Amaker said.

Jason Clark got things started with a 3-pointer, Monroe scored off a putback, Austin Freeman hit a 3, and Wright made a free throw. Then came this sequence:Monroe lost the ball on the blocks, then went to the other end and stole it right back, before feeding Wright for a layup.

"That was all the difference in the game," Hoyas coach John Thompson III said. "We prodded the Big Fella a little bit. It was just theeffort."

Freeman matched his career best with 21 points for Georgetown (9-1), which was playing its first game since a 61-57 loss to Old Dominion on Saturday.

That upset came at the Hoyas' tiny on-campus McDonough Arena. On Wednesday, Georgetown was back at the usual site of its home games, Verizon Center, andthe Hoyas extended their winning streak there against non-conference opponents to 22 games.

Against Old Dominion, Wright scored only four points and shot 2 for 8.

He was a different player against Harvard.

The 6-foot-1 junior guard from Bowie, Md., shot 13 for 21 and had six rebounds and four assists. Wright scored 21 of his points in the second half beforeheading to the sideline for good with 1:15 left and the game's outcome clear.

"I don't even think I was looking for my shot today. I just think I was being aggressive and trying to make plays," Wright said. "Idon't think I was really trying to force anything. I was just playing in the flow of the game. I got opportunities today, and luckily I capitalized onthem."

Harvard (7-3) was coming off a two-week layoff since a victory over Boston College on Dec. 9. In its game before that, the Ivy League school also tested Top 25team Connecticut, losing by six on Dec. 6.

Jeremy Lin led Harvard on Wednesday with 15 points. He made his first six shot attempts but missed his other four.

Georgetown was the squad that looked rusty at the outset Wednesday, finding trouble getting into its offense and trailing 12-9 after 5 minutes. After the Hoyaswent up by as many as eight midway through the first half, Harvard chipped away, tying the score for the last time on Oliver McNally's fastbreak layup.

"We started very well. We were pretty sharp. We competed and battled, and we were right there," Amaker said. "I just thought that the end of thefirst half -- that was the dagger for us. It certainly gave them a lot of energy going into the halftime, and we certainly had our heads down."

solid effort by our squad and a good rebound from the loss to ODU. i think we should just close off mcdonough for good in terms of playing home games thereunless it gets renovated. it's a cursed place.

obviously, chris wright sticks out in today's game, dropping 34 points, including two 3-pointers 6 of 7 from the charity stripe, and nabbing 6 stealsagainst harvard. was able to cut through their defense, find openings, and get some good shots. he played aggressive, but like he said in the postgame report,he didn't force anything, at least not as much as he usually does. great performance by freeman, who dropped 21 points as well as a couple boards, steals,and assists. he was a little bit overshadowed by wright's performance, but he comes thru yet again with his textbook consistency and good shooting. gregstepped up BIG TIME offensively and defensively, with a double-double of 16 pts and 16 rebounds as well as 5 blocks and 4 steals. clearly establishing himselfin the paint and making himself a force to be reckoned with. while the rest of the team didn't put up big numbers like these guys, solid contributions fromvaughn and clark, despite his foul trouble and good minutes from thompson. even though the kid didn't score, he got a couple boards and assists and asteal. only a matter of time until he starts contributing even more, especially with the holiday miracle news of nikita's imminent transfer, which willfree up another schollie spot. good things today, guys.

Barker Davis last article as the Times is going under, really a shame...he's been the best beat writer.
Georgetown hopes to spend the last few hours of the year exorcising a couple of last season's most galling demons.

The 13th-ranked Hoyas (9-1) begin Big East play on New Year's Eve against the same St. John's squad that snuffed the last remaining vestiges of Georgetown's NCAA tournament hopes last season with a two-game, stretch-run upset sweep.

Though last season's many second-half shortcomings included multiple losses to Cincinnati and a debacle at lowly Seton Hall, Georgetown might have squeaked into the NCAA tournament had it taken both games against the Red Storm to finish 18-13. That record would have featured victories against six tournament teams (Maryland, American, Memphis, Connecticut, Syracuse and Villanova).

Instead, a sub-.500 St. John's team that finished 13th in the Big East embarrassed Georgetown on the boards 42-22 in a 59-56 victory at Madison Square Garden on Mar. 3. The Red Storm added a 64-59 win a week later in the opening round of the Big East tournament.

"We know we lost twice to them last year in the last week of the season, and the guys certainly understand the implications and repercussions that had on our hopes of making the NCAA tournament," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "But at the same time, I think this group understands that this season starts right now. There's no time to think about last season or grudges or whatever because the Big East is here and it's time to just play."

Thus far, this season's Hoyas have held little resemblance to the squad that unraveled last season. Behind often dominant play from sophomore center Greg Monroe (15.3 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists) and dramatic improvement on the defensive end (particularly rebounding), Georgetown has put itself back in the national spotlight in the opening two months.

Despite an upset loss to Old Dominion, the Hoyas emerge from their preconference slate with one of the nation's strongest postseason resumes after posting wins over four teams ranked in the RPI's current top 30 in Temple (No. 3), Washington (10), Butler (16) and Harvard (30).

Now the Hoyas face the task of translating that success to a league that again looks like the deepest and strongest in the country. While this season's Big East doesn't feature super powers like last season's big three of eventual NCAA tournament No. 1 seeds (Pittsburgh, Louisville and Connecticut), St. John's (10-2) epitomizes the change that should define the league this season. Recent also-rans like the Red Storm, Cincinnati and Seton Hall all appear to have significantly improved.

St. John's, for instance, returned its top nine contributors from last season and added a pair of junior-college starters in guard Dwight Hardy (11.7 points) and power forward Justin Brownlee (7.9 points, 5.9 rebounds). The Red Storm already have pushed Duke for 40 minutes in an 80-71 loss at Cameron Indoor Stadium and knocked off Temple 55-48 at the Palestra.

"St. John's is absolutely one of the teams that I expect to take a jump and finish in the top half of the league this season," Thompson said. "They are a veteran group who has been through some tough times together and now looks ready to use that experience and a returning core of personnel to make a move up in the standings."

Got to bring the intensity and physicality tonight. They have to PROVE they can beat a team like St. John's, Cincinnati..

Back
Top Bottom