The official LBJ IV review Post !!!

if the weight had not been a factor, would the LBJIV beat the Melo III by a huge margin or just very... very small margin.

Zoom Lebron IV Review

Colorway Tested: Blk/wht-crimson
Tester's Specs: 6'2", 210, sz. 12
Positions Played: 3 - 5

Performance footwear hasn't quite been the same since after the "Alpha Project". We didn't see a whole lot of innovation and we didn't see Nike trying to push the envelope as much anymore. Shox was great; with an exciting, high-flying Vince Carter piloting the line, Nike sat back and enjoyed the fruits of its labour. But the novelty of Shox wore off pretty quickly and so did Vince Carter's marketing lustre. That's why the Lebron line from Nike is so refreshing in the "retro" era of footwear. Nike's 90 million dollar man was about to be the inspiration and the canvas for designer Ken Link to wet his appetite and let his creative juices satisfy the thirst of performance hoop shoe enthusiasts around the world. With the Zoom Lebron II, Zoom Max was introduced along with a more edgy styling and performance benefits like the sphere inner and the now popular lock-down ankle strap. The Zoom Lebron III let Nikes Team Lebron really focus on protecting the 68, 240lbs phenom. All that protection did Lebron well as he led Cleveland through an epic playoff run and within a defensive rebound away from the Eastern Conference Finals. Now with the Zoom Lebron IV Nike, Ken Link and Team Lebron are back and ready to go even further not only in the playoffs for Lebron, but further in performance in the Zoom Lebron line.

Over and around the foot:

We havent seen Foamposite in a shoe since the Ultraposite in 2003. It makes its highly anticipated return in the Zoom Lebron IV. The upper is unique in the fact that its somewhat split up into 3 sections, the ankle collar, the vamp and the wrap. The wrap is more of a midsole element but since the Zoom Lebron IV doesnt really have a midsole, Ill talk about it here.

The wrap up is the white portion that runs all the way around the shoe and is made of a textured and sculpted phylon. The texture of the phylon wrap is so unique. It almost looks like a brushed metallic but has the feel of one of those old holographic cards (You know, those plastic ones that made that zipping sound if you ran your fingers over it) and really needs to be appreciated in person. The midfoot wrap is especially pronounced at the midfoot and the heel. The wrapping at the midfoot coincides with the slight flare in the TPU plate under foot. The wrap on the medial side reinforces and supports the arch and the wrap on the lateral side really keeps the foot on the footbed during hard cuts. The wrap portion also features cuts or notches that expose mesh from the inner of the shoe that allows the shoe to breath a little bit better. The cuts in the wrap also run all the way under the foot to form flex grooves for the outsole.

The nubuck ankle collar uses a Velcro closure that wraps from the lateral side and attaches on the medial side and does a great job of letting you know its there, but stays out of the way while you pull up for that jumper or drive in for that layup. I liked the feel and fit of the strap in the Zoom Lebron IV better than the Huarache 2k5. I also found the Zoom Lebron IV to be a lot less restrictive than the Zoom Lebron III, especially at the Achilles. The vamp of the shoe is where most of the foamposite is used. The foamposite feels very smooth and it actually feels exactly like the advertisement in a recent Slam Magazine that included a DVD. It was a very nice touch on Nikes part to have that bit of connection from the ad to the shoe.

The upper of the Zoom Lebron IV is not only very well put together its also distinct, functional and very durable. Through six wears of about 2 hours per wear, the upper still looks amazing, with the creasing kept to a minimum on the wrap portion. Scratches and scuffs rub off pretty easily and dirt can be wiped away (using a bit of muscle) with a moist towel or even baby wipes for the white areas.

The upper also features three thick straps feel like nubuck but have some elasticity to them. They run over the top of the foot and almost cover the laces. I think this is a big improvement from the Flightposite 3 which featured a PU strap across the widest part of the foot which led to some fit issues for people with wider than normal feet as the strap would not stretch or give. Good news for the wide footed is that the straps will give even though the foamposite wont. The straps are a good way to give additional support on the top of the foot and they really contribute to the fit of the shoe (think VC5) even though they make the laces hard to get to.

The inner bootie of the shoe is of the full-length variety and makes the shoe extremely comfortable. Nike decided to go away from the Sphere inner and decided to use a standard mesh lined. While the mesh does its job in keeping the heat and moisture to a minimum, the shoe is a bit tough to put on (thank goodness for the pull tab). The inner bootie has two deep U shaped notches just on either side of the ankles with a nice padding right behind the notches that help keep your ankles comfortable within the shoe. Even though the inner bootie is very cozy and comfortable, I found the full inner lining from the AZG, Zoom Lebron II and III to be more my taste.

The Zoom Lebron IV felt a bit stiff out of the box and I can report that throughout my first 2 or 3 wears I experienced discomfort in my right pinkie toe from a pressure point. The pain would not be evident at first but grew as I continued to play. I am happy to say that the pain has since subsided and the upper of the Zoom Lebron IV seems to have broken in. The Zoom Lebron IV was very supportive on the foot and seemed to really protect the foot from coming off the footbed during hard cuts. The ankle strap definitely gave the Zoom Lebron IV a better feel as compared to the overly restrictive Zoom Lebron III. The ankle didnt feel restrictive but it was supportive at the same time and the cut at the Achilles wasnt too high.

Under the foot:

The Zoom Lebron IV features a full-length Zoom Air sockliner. The sockliner also acts as the midsole for the shoe, which is why its so thick. The zoom sockliner is fully articulated, which means that in different areas of the foot, sockliner has different thickness or densities. For example, under the arch, you can actually feel the built in arch support although there is no solid structure, the sockliner forms almost a bubble to keep your arch nice and supported without having a solid structure there that might chafe or cause discomfort for some wearers. Something unique about this sockliner is the fact that there are flex grooves cut right into it. The flex grooves definitely add to the overall good court feel of the shoe. The zoom air felt great right out of the box although it did seem to get a bit more responsive and a tad bit softer after the first couple of wears. Although I prefer firmer cushioning in the heel, the Zoom Lebron IVs cushioning was among the best Ive felt. It was the perfect combination of firmness and responsiveness. One small beef with the sockliner is that the Lebron logo was screen printed on and is starting to fade on my pair. It would have been nice for Nike to continue to sew on the tags or logos on the sockliner.

One area where I think there is improvement to be made is the full-length TPU plate (no, thats not carbon fibre folks, its carbon fibre textured TPU). The TPU plate did a lot for the shoe in terms of rigidity and mid-foot support, but it seemed to make the shoe a tad bit clunky for me, although the overall court feel was good. I believe the TPU plate added a lot of weight and inhibited overall the flexibility and natural feel of the shoe as well. It would be a good idea for Nike to look at the TPU plate and use a lighter more responsive material (like say real carbon fibre) or cut out parts of the plate that arent necessary.

The outsole of the Zoom Lebron IV is another amazing feature of the shoe. The outsole is split up into 6 sections and each section features a solid herringbone traction pattern with a translucent part surrounding it (except for the last section at the heel which is all translucent and features the number 23 and part of the witness text). There is a small pivot circle in the second section of the outsole with the Lebron LJ23 logo in it. The traction didnt disappoint. The outsole held its ground on cuts and let you play with confidence, although a quick wipe of the sole would be a good idea on some dustier or dirtier courts. The outsole is also very thick so if you HAVE to take this shoe outdoor, it seems like it would hold up well.

Overall impressions:

After playing in the shoe, the combination of the uppers stability and the sockliners responsiveness made for a unique feel. I felt fully supported but also quick on my feet while making moves on the court. The support and stability came at a price though. The phylon wrap and TPU plate seems to have added a lot of weight to the shoe. I think guards will still be able to use this shoe, but lighter guards may find the Zoom Lebron IVs weight to be too much. Big men will definitely like the overall support and feel of this shoe, but big heavy guys, watch out to make sure that zoom air is firm enough for you guys and doesnt bottom out (I personally think it shouldnt be a problem). People with wide feet should make sure there arent any uncomfortable pressure points around the foot, as the foamposite wont really stretch. Although there are only 5 sets of lace loops or holes, the fit is amazing partly due to the full-length inner bootie and the straps overtop of the foot that are covering the laces. The ankle support feels great and I love the way the strap goes from the lateral side to the medial side to give the inner part of the ankle the feeling of more support.

There are other great touches like the metal tipped black and red weave laces, the metal top eyelet with L.J in it (the . Is actually in the shape of a crown), the witness on the heel (although I absolutely HATE the font Nike used, it looks like every letter is capitalized except the N and the top and bottom of the I are way too flared), the message from Phil Knight on the inner tongue, the way the lion on the tongue kinda hides behind the metal LJ23 logo on the strap when the strap is attached and even the fact that one shoe says KING and the other JAMES under the lion on the tongue. This shoe is definitely the best of the Lebron line in terms of build quality and overall attention to detail.

The Zoom Lebron IV picks up right where the Zoom Lebron III left off. For those who didnt like the restrictive feel of the Zoom Lebron III but didnt mind the weight, you should definitely give the Zoom Lebron IV a try. The Zoom Lebron IVs foamposite upper and phylon wrap protect the foot as the Zoom Lebron III did but it takes everything to the next level. The combination of support and responsiveness is unmatched by any shoe, but so is the weight (well maybe there are some Timberlands that may come close in the weight department). If weight is your number one concern when buying a new basketball shoe, forget about the Zoom Lebron IV. After wearing the Zoom Lebron IV for two hours of full-court basketball and then putting on my 2K5 beaters after, you really notice the weight. Although weight is a major flaw of the shoe, it may be one of the only major flaws. Like the Cleveland Cavaliers have built their team around Lebron James, the Zoom Lebron IV is definitely something Nike can build on. This shoe would be a great shoe for bigger guards, forwards and centers to play in despite its weight.

Ratings:

Comfort and Fit 9.5 / 10
Cushioning 10 / 10
Ankle support 10 / 10
Lateral Support (support on cuts) 9.5 / 10 (a lateral outrigger would have made this a 10)
Traction 9.5 / 10

Thanks for taking the time to read my LONG review (with no pics). Any questions or comments (besides make your review shorter) would be appreciated.

^^^^ great review...

a couple questions.... what size did you pick these up in and to what did you wear in the lebron iiis and iis and is. would you says your feet are wide or normal

reason why i ask is, i normally wear a 11 in the first 3 lebrons, but i can fit in a size 10 in the ivs. But my left foot the pinky toe is a little squished and curious to see how much the foam will break in for my foot so the toe is comfortable. I like the size 10 too, cause those straps over the laces seem to be stretch out and helping keep the shoe tight, where the 10.5 the straps seem to not make a difference. Is this how i should have the shoe, Did you have any heel slip issues,

Thanks

Quote:
a lateral outrigger would have made this a 10

exactly what i was thinking this shoe could use...seeing as i do a lot of cutting, i would have loved to see an outrigger on this shoe to stabilize my foot on hard cuts in the lane

blah!

i don't know if its because i expected too much from it, but when i tried it, it didn't exactly all feel right. I don't own any pair of Zoom Air shoes, but i've tried on a three pairs of Zoom Air shoes before including these. I probably expected too much, but i just couldn't feel it, i only wore one shoe though and not both of them.

First pic from: vegetaray246, thanks!!!

The red circled part for me, could not stay down even though i tied the laces as tight as i could. Then theres the orange circled part in my diagram, that curved upwards and doesn't stay down unlike the first two white straps/ connectors (whatever u wanna call them) But the most important part is the red circled area, when i'm in a defensive position and when my feet aren't straight. That part just bulges outwards from the feet, and i feel that part of the shoe. GreyIsBack on ISS mentioned that its for flexibility, i can understand for the orange circled part but not the red circled part

So why is this happening

^ check my website to get those answers (fakes section). it is all described there. the link is in my sig

@STORM RYDER
great review :D
happy.gif

nikelebron.googlepages.com

Thanks for the comments and taking your time to read the review everyone !

Nice site - kaczalas! keep it goin.

prophetdemise -

My feet are more on the wide side of normal. But I do have quite a flat foot. Also, I'm asian, so I know some asians have a weird pinky toe, that could be a problem too.

The pressure on my pinky toe was painful in my first few wearings but I actually tried to manually stretch the first strap where the shoe seemed too tight instead of cutting them off completely. It seemed to work a bit but also just playing in the shoe helped quite a bit as the pressure wasn't as evident, but my toe wouldn't get the same pain as it did before. Also, it was only my in right foot where I felt the pain.

I don't really know how much the shoe moulds to your foot, I can say though , that the foamposite wont stretch. Hope that helps.

Ziostilon - My pair kinda bulges out on the sides as well, but I don't know why your pair bulges out that much. Did you tie the laces through the hidden loops on the inside of the shoe? Make sure you got your right size, maybe go to the mall and try on another pair of the size you have, as well as a half / full size down. Also, after a wear or 2 the zoom air gets a bit more responsive and a tiny bit softer.

My black lebron IVs are suppose to arrive tomorrow, from reading all the reviews I think i'm just going to break em in during the next 3 basketball practices since my first game is on january 2nd. Thanks for the reviews everybody, i'll probably post my own after 8-10 wears

Quote:
Ziostilon - My pair kinda bulges out on the sides as well, but I don't know why your pair bulges out that much. Did you tie the laces through the hidden loops on the inside of the shoe? Make sure you got your right size, maybe go to the mall and try on another pair of the size you have, as well as a half / full size down. Also, after a wear or 2 the zoom air gets a bit more responsive and a tiny bit softer.

just if u didn't know, those pics aren't mine. All i can remember is that i tied it through all the lace holes under below the strap, so if there weren't anymore lace loops under the strap than ya i would've got all of them. But it really doesn't bulge out a lot until i go into a defensive position, where my legs point inward and my feet goes outward, in this situation, the bulging begins, and it just bulges inwards with my feet, so it just kinda bugs me cause i feel like i lost a bit of protection at that spot without the shoe wrapping me at that part. Is sizing a big factor? I'm predicting even if i go with a smaller size, that part will still bulge out unless my legs were fatter. I guess thats why they say this shoes built for big power forwards

i got the east and they look great but the normal ones look great too, it's your decision. I usually wear a size 8.5 in jays and i got a size 8 in these and they fit perfect although i like my shoes tight when im ballin. I suggest that you go to your local footlocker,champs,finishline, or etc. and try on size 10 and 9.5 lebron 4s to see which size feels comfortable for you.

My Lebron 4s are great but on my left ankle some part near the strap is scratching against my ankles, anybody having the same problem? So far they've held up and the print on my insole already came off after my first wear lol

yeah mine did that the first few times I wore them, but that rubbing will go away. As far as the insole design, Im glad I was wearing some black socks on my first wear, cause I had the logo on the bottom of my sock after I took them off

Quote:
People with wide feet should make sure there arent any uncomfortable pressure points around the foot, as the foamposite wont really stretch.
to hurt the middle of my foot. Maybe I should play less since they don't hurt until I put in a few hours at the gym.
TeamCowboysNo matter what you do for them, eventually, they will hate you
!!!

does the strap have a huge effect on the ankle support cause i wanna loosen up mine a bit cause it feels a lil' too tight

and about the lace holes at the strap, they look really fragile, do they break easily and any specific method as to how to lace them through cause i just lace them through like how its done right at the front of the shoe

Quote:
i actually opted to go with my regular size. i have wide feet, and though the 9.5's were a better fit length-wise, they cause my pinky toes to go numb. the 10 fit pretty good width-wise, but just slightly too much room in the toe-box area.

before i use these outdoors, i was wondering...do these stretch out? being that foamposite is a synthetic material, i didn't think they would...but if they do get wider the more you wear them, i may return them for a 9.5

so...do they stretch?
pogibearx123, so what size did u end up getting??? i'm in the EXACT same situation as you're in.. my pinky toes don't go numb or anything like that, but in the 1/2 size smaller the length is perfect but pinky toe is a bit snug. the 11.5 is just too big in the toeb-ox area. but just the other day i was at footlocker trying on the size 11 (which is 1/2 smaller from usually 11.5) that had been returned by a customer for the blue/white/gold.. and they were definitely not as snug width-wise. so after trying them on, walking around in them, etc.. the width of the shoe gets a bit more loose??? i dunno.. i'm gonna get the blue/white/gold anyday now as soon as i can decide what size to get.

can anyone else speak from experience that the width of the shoe becomes a bit more loose the more you wear them??? most of you guys are buying a 1/2 size smaller than normal correct??

You should get a half size smaller, I got my normal size, and its not a big issue, my foot doesnt slide around or nothing, but they are just a bit too big.

NEED HELP!!! I've not been able to get comfortable in these shoes. I opted for a 1/2 size smaller than normal due to the toe box area. I dont have a problem length wise but the shoe feels very very tight on the mid section of my foot.

Ive worn them about 3-4 times playing basketball and a ?? hours for casual/break in wear.

Has anyone else had this problem. Is it possible that they are not yet broken in. I dont think going a 1/2 size up will help, becuase when i tried them on i didnt notice a difference width wise, only length wise. So i felt the 1/2 down was the right decision.

^^did u wear really thick socks, u can try not wearing socks. the lacing setup might be messed up. or you can just try another pair, cause that pair probably had something wrong with it. I tried on two pairs, and one pair was significantly different than the other, not sure why.

^^ cool. Today i wore them again at the gym(work out only). I simply loosened the shoe laces as much as possible. Its feeling a lot better, im gonna try them again tomorrow for a hoop session. I didnt even notice how tightly the laces were set up becuse of the damn lace covers. If there is anything i could change about this shoe it would be those damn span-dex strips that hide the laces.

I also inspected the insole of the shoe and much to my suprise its 1 inch thick. My "Worst Case Senerio" is to trim the insole down a few milimeters.
I did try some thinner socks as well.

Good lookin out

i stopped lacing mine up, i tuck the laces under my foot and they feel much better, there are ppl doing strange things with these sneakers. i cant wait to get my hands on the all whites and possibly all blacks w00t

i actually ended up sticking with the ten, which was a good decision.

the foamposite gives way, but not a lot. the width is perfect now. even though there is slightly too much room in my toes, i don't really notice it because my foot doesn't slip around inside the shoe. it's pretty locked down.

thinner socks help.

i can't wait to ball in these. i've shot around in them...but i'm gonna pick up another pair before i play a full game with them. i wish i could get my hands on the white/navy ones cuz they'd go pretty well with my jersey colors.

Team Philippines

a reccomendation for socks with the Lebrons is adidas climalite socks, I tried them with nike dri fit socks, and I will say I just think the adidas socks are better, they keep your feet feeling nice inside the lebrons

how do your LBJ4's fit compared to your LBJ3's. Did you guys go a half size smaller for the 4's or is the 3 = 4 ?????

Back
Top Bottom