***The Official Legalization of Cannabis Thread***

Originally Posted by Nek32

Just what America needs....make it legal for people to get even dumber and lazier. 
tired.gif

You sir, you're an idiot

Posted by Linda Milazzo at 6:59 am
October 31, 2010

talk_box.jpg
13 COMMENTS

[h1]LA’s Sheriff Baca Stirs Fear Against Marijuana Days Before The Election[/h1]

Posted by Linda Milazzo on @ 6:59 am

Article printed from speakeasy: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy

URL to article: http://blogs.alternet.org...ays-before-the-election/

Allthrough the George W. Bush administration, Americans were fed a steadydiet of fear, strategically orchestrated by Bush and Cheney to promotetheir political agenda. Americans were scared into supporting war. Theywere frightened into buying masking tape. They were jolted by elevatedcolor codes. They were unnerved about flying on planes. And much muchmore…

For eight long years Bush and Cheney were masters of mania,preying on a nervous nation through well-timed machinations. Whatcoincidence that terrorist threats would arise before elections andcritical legislation. Even Osama bin Laden and Ayman Al Zawahiri wouldbroadcast messages that helped push G.W.’s platform.

Usingunjustified fear is an abuse of governance. Sadly for Los Angeles, LeeBaca, its Sheriff of twelve years who is running unopposed in thiselection, is employing the abusive fear tactic. Mere days beforeCalifornia’s November 2nd election, whose ballot includes Proposition 19, which if passed, would regulate, control and tax marijuana, Sheriff Baca is using free broadcast media to strike fear in voters against the Proposition he vehemently opposes.

AsBaca’s luck would have it, Halloween arrives just two days before theNovember 2nd election. To frighten voters against Prop 19, Baca orderedhis sheriffs to confiscate marijuana edibles from legal dispensariesand remove them from circulation so they’re not distributed totrick-or-treaters on Halloween. Baca then used the confiscated ediblesas part of his free anti-Prop 19 broadcast media blitz.

AreBaca’s actions ethical – or even legal? Is it legal and ethical toconfiscate vendor’s merchandise and then use it as a vehicle for freemedia air time to push a political agenda – an obvious political agendathe Sheriff refuses to admit?
Here’s one of the videos showing the confiscated edibles and fear tactics Baca is using:

LA sheriff's warn of pot-laced treats from 89.3 KPCC on Vimeo.

Ten days ago there was an incident of three boysin Huntington Beach, California, who were admitted to the hospitalafter ingesting marijuana cookies. The ingestion was accidental after aparent failed to put the cookies away. Of course that was a seriousoversight, and thankfully the boys are okay.

But let’s get realhere. Every home has dangers. Homes can contain medications, alcoholicbeverages, toxic cleaning agents, sharp cutlery, swimming pools,balconies, staircases, bunk beds, bathtubs, hot stoves, storage bins,razors, sharp tools, lethal weapons like rifles and handguns, andtragically, abusive adults. Left unattended and unmonitored, myriadcalamities can happen. Edible pot may come in attractive packages, butas long as it’s properly stored, there’s no more danger than that whichalready exists in most homes. And truthfully, there is still not a single reported case of anyone dying from pot.

Californiais broke. It needs revenue. And it needs to move into the 21st centurywith legitimate legislation. If Sheriff Lee Baca and Dianne Feinsteinand the others who oppose Prop 19 want to keep California from movingforward, they do significantly more harm to the state than legalizingmarijuana. America is sliding backward in every area. We’re a laughingstock to the world for sacrificing progression for regression. Notlegalizing marijuana is as absurd as not using every available resourceto push forward a clean, green economy.

If Baca doesn’t want tosmoke pot, he doesn’t have to. If Baca doesn’t want to eat edibles, hedoesn’t have to. But that’s no reason to use underhanded tactics toprevent wise legislation from passing – legislation that will generateincome California desperately needs.

Baca, himself, with an annual salary of $284,183, doesn’t suffer from lack of income. He suffers from lack of wisdom.

Posted by Linda Milazzo at 6:59 am
October 31, 2010

talk_box.jpg
13 COMMENTS

[h1]LA’s Sheriff Baca Stirs Fear Against Marijuana Days Before The Election[/h1]

Posted by Linda Milazzo on @ 6:59 am

Article printed from speakeasy: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy

URL to article: http://blogs.alternet.org...ays-before-the-election/

Allthrough the George W. Bush administration, Americans were fed a steadydiet of fear, strategically orchestrated by Bush and Cheney to promotetheir political agenda. Americans were scared into supporting war. Theywere frightened into buying masking tape. They were jolted by elevatedcolor codes. They were unnerved about flying on planes. And much muchmore…

For eight long years Bush and Cheney were masters of mania,preying on a nervous nation through well-timed machinations. Whatcoincidence that terrorist threats would arise before elections andcritical legislation. Even Osama bin Laden and Ayman Al Zawahiri wouldbroadcast messages that helped push G.W.’s platform.

Usingunjustified fear is an abuse of governance. Sadly for Los Angeles, LeeBaca, its Sheriff of twelve years who is running unopposed in thiselection, is employing the abusive fear tactic. Mere days beforeCalifornia’s November 2nd election, whose ballot includes Proposition 19, which if passed, would regulate, control and tax marijuana, Sheriff Baca is using free broadcast media to strike fear in voters against the Proposition he vehemently opposes.

AsBaca’s luck would have it, Halloween arrives just two days before theNovember 2nd election. To frighten voters against Prop 19, Baca orderedhis sheriffs to confiscate marijuana edibles from legal dispensariesand remove them from circulation so they’re not distributed totrick-or-treaters on Halloween. Baca then used the confiscated ediblesas part of his free anti-Prop 19 broadcast media blitz.

AreBaca’s actions ethical – or even legal? Is it legal and ethical toconfiscate vendor’s merchandise and then use it as a vehicle for freemedia air time to push a political agenda – an obvious political agendathe Sheriff refuses to admit?
Here’s one of the videos showing the confiscated edibles and fear tactics Baca is using:

LA sheriff's warn of pot-laced treats from 89.3 KPCC on Vimeo.

Ten days ago there was an incident of three boysin Huntington Beach, California, who were admitted to the hospitalafter ingesting marijuana cookies. The ingestion was accidental after aparent failed to put the cookies away. Of course that was a seriousoversight, and thankfully the boys are okay.

But let’s get realhere. Every home has dangers. Homes can contain medications, alcoholicbeverages, toxic cleaning agents, sharp cutlery, swimming pools,balconies, staircases, bunk beds, bathtubs, hot stoves, storage bins,razors, sharp tools, lethal weapons like rifles and handguns, andtragically, abusive adults. Left unattended and unmonitored, myriadcalamities can happen. Edible pot may come in attractive packages, butas long as it’s properly stored, there’s no more danger than that whichalready exists in most homes. And truthfully, there is still not a single reported case of anyone dying from pot.

Californiais broke. It needs revenue. And it needs to move into the 21st centurywith legitimate legislation. If Sheriff Lee Baca and Dianne Feinsteinand the others who oppose Prop 19 want to keep California from movingforward, they do significantly more harm to the state than legalizingmarijuana. America is sliding backward in every area. We’re a laughingstock to the world for sacrificing progression for regression. Notlegalizing marijuana is as absurd as not using every available resourceto push forward a clean, green economy.

If Baca doesn’t want tosmoke pot, he doesn’t have to. If Baca doesn’t want to eat edibles, hedoesn’t have to. But that’s no reason to use underhanded tactics toprevent wise legislation from passing – legislation that will generateincome California desperately needs.

Baca, himself, with an annual salary of $284,183, doesn’t suffer from lack of income. He suffers from lack of wisdom.

Referendum Highlights
California will vote on the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010 in November. Among the referendum's provisions, it:

• Allows people 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana for personal use. 
• Allows for the cultivation, in plots no larger than 25 square feet, and transportation of marijuana for personal use. 
• Enables local governments to tax the estimated $15 billion in marijuana transactions each year. 
• Allows local governments to maintain prohibitions on marijuana, much like a dry county would alcohol. 
• Permits the legislature to develop a statewide regulatory system for commercial cannabis. 
• Bans public consumption, possession on school grounds, smoking in front of minors and providing marijuana to those younger than 21.
• Maintains prohibitions against driving under the influence of drugs. 

Source: Tax Cannabis 2010

I know there have been a lot of skeptics especially among mm users supporting the 'NO on prop. 19' movement due to the way its written or phrased. However, the above points seem fair and reasonable. Can some opponent of this initiative voice his opinion in regards to his stance? 

This obviously will not and cannot be a total victory for cannabis users no matter which way you vote, but looking into the future, I believe that this will have an overall positive long-term effect on cannabis education and its culture in general. Not to mention the ripple effect it will have on other states. Surely, some mm facilities and/or growers may experience adverse effects of this legislation. But wouldn't it open the door for many more businesses, "coffee shops," the hemp industry etc. If the corporations  successfully capitalize on this, one would still be allowed to grow within his own home a certain amount. I was kind of on the fence on this at this, but taking a step back and looking at the whole issue, I'm leaning toward supporting this prop. Also, this will not be written in stone and further liberalization, props. and amendments are possible in the future. This is also a chance for Cali to be an example in proving that the war on drugs is pointless not to mention the opportunity for science to finally test and hold (hopefully unbiased) studies on the real effects and uses of cannabis  *shrugs*

Referendum Highlights
California will vote on the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010 in November. Among the referendum's provisions, it:

• Allows people 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana for personal use. 
• Allows for the cultivation, in plots no larger than 25 square feet, and transportation of marijuana for personal use. 
• Enables local governments to tax the estimated $15 billion in marijuana transactions each year. 
• Allows local governments to maintain prohibitions on marijuana, much like a dry county would alcohol. 
• Permits the legislature to develop a statewide regulatory system for commercial cannabis. 
• Bans public consumption, possession on school grounds, smoking in front of minors and providing marijuana to those younger than 21.
• Maintains prohibitions against driving under the influence of drugs. 

Source: Tax Cannabis 2010

I know there have been a lot of skeptics especially among mm users supporting the 'NO on prop. 19' movement due to the way its written or phrased. However, the above points seem fair and reasonable. Can some opponent of this initiative voice his opinion in regards to his stance? 

This obviously will not and cannot be a total victory for cannabis users no matter which way you vote, but looking into the future, I believe that this will have an overall positive long-term effect on cannabis education and its culture in general. Not to mention the ripple effect it will have on other states. Surely, some mm facilities and/or growers may experience adverse effects of this legislation. But wouldn't it open the door for many more businesses, "coffee shops," the hemp industry etc. If the corporations  successfully capitalize on this, one would still be allowed to grow within his own home a certain amount. I was kind of on the fence on this at this, but taking a step back and looking at the whole issue, I'm leaning toward supporting this prop. Also, this will not be written in stone and further liberalization, props. and amendments are possible in the future. This is also a chance for Cali to be an example in proving that the war on drugs is pointless not to mention the opportunity for science to finally test and hold (hopefully unbiased) studies on the real effects and uses of cannabis  *shrugs*

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Referendum Highlights

I This is also a chance for Cali to be an example in proving that the war on drugs is pointless not to mention the opportunity for science to finally test and hold (hopefully unbiased) studies on the real effects and uses of cannabis  *shrugs*
I believe "science" has done tests and studies on the effects....it just so happens that the regulating forces that be decided to ignore the results and still pursue their criminalization of it....
then again, I do understand what you're saying....I just don't think it will sway their "opinions"

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

Referendum Highlights

I This is also a chance for Cali to be an example in proving that the war on drugs is pointless not to mention the opportunity for science to finally test and hold (hopefully unbiased) studies on the real effects and uses of cannabis  *shrugs*
I believe "science" has done tests and studies on the effects....it just so happens that the regulating forces that be decided to ignore the results and still pursue their criminalization of it....
then again, I do understand what you're saying....I just don't think it will sway their "opinions"

I just voted Yes on Prop 19.  Both my parents voted Yes also.  I took em to our polling spot and they were all FOR it.  Considering my parents don't drink or smoke I was relieved to not have to convince them.   I even told moms I will give her seeds to plant in their back yard!  
pimp.gif

I just voted Yes on Prop 19.  Both my parents voted Yes also.  I took em to our polling spot and they were all FOR it.  Considering my parents don't drink or smoke I was relieved to not have to convince them.   I even told moms I will give her seeds to plant in their back yard!  
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Warrior On It

Dirty, if you don't mind me (us) asking, where do you stand and why? I'm asking because I respect and agree with your opinions on many subjects.
Personally...  I'm in favor of legalized medical marijuana and decriminalized personal use.
however, ultimately, if the people vote to legalize it.. then I'm all for it.

While I'm not in favor of legalizing ALL drugs.. here's an interesting case study regarding Portugal
http://www.time.com/time/...e/0,8599,1893946,00.html

and video:

..I think US culture is quite different than European culture, so I don't know if outright legalization would work here, but to not consider it an option would be folly.

Originally Posted by Warrior On It

Dirty, if you don't mind me (us) asking, where do you stand and why? I'm asking because I respect and agree with your opinions on many subjects.
Personally...  I'm in favor of legalized medical marijuana and decriminalized personal use.
however, ultimately, if the people vote to legalize it.. then I'm all for it.

While I'm not in favor of legalizing ALL drugs.. here's an interesting case study regarding Portugal
http://www.time.com/time/...e/0,8599,1893946,00.html

and video:

..I think US culture is quite different than European culture, so I don't know if outright legalization would work here, but to not consider it an option would be folly.

Back
Top Bottom