The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

It isn't a perfect comparison but you have to admit stern is a genius when it comes to manipulating the perception of an issue.

It isn't a perfect comparison but you have to admit stern is a genius when it comes to manipulating the perception of an issue.

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

@stevenkylerNBA A couple of comments... a 50-50 split of BRI amounts to about 47% of all revenue, as BRI excludes a percentage of some revenues.
@stevenkylerNBA The analogy is I collect $100... I pull $20 out for myself & then we share whats left.. if I give you 50% of whats left, did we share 50-50?
@stevenkylerNBA You got $40 and I got $60, thats not a 50-50 split, that's how BRI works.... Both side interchange these concepts to suit their message.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif

And people have the audacity to say the players should take the L
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

@stevenkylerNBA A couple of comments... a 50-50 split of BRI amounts to about 47% of all revenue, as BRI excludes a percentage of some revenues.
@stevenkylerNBA The analogy is I collect $100... I pull $20 out for myself & then we share whats left.. if I give you 50% of whats left, did we share 50-50?
@stevenkylerNBA You got $40 and I got $60, thats not a 50-50 split, that's how BRI works.... Both side interchange these concepts to suit their message.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
tired.gif

And people have the audacity to say the players should take the L
roll.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I'm officially beginning to accept 'no season' as a real possibility. 
tired.gif

If these knuckleheads can't come to an agreement now, what makes you think they will in a month or 2?
ohwell.gif

tired.gif

If these knuckleheads can't come to an agreement now, what makes you think they will in a month or 2?
ohwell.gif

Come on in JA and Doo and tell us how 50/50 after taking 300 million out of the equation is "fair" and the players should give even more back.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Come on in JA and Doo and tell us how 50/50 after taking 300 million out of the equation is "fair" and the players should give even more back.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I honestly would enjoy the players taking a stand versus this greed by the owners and sitting out the season if it comes to that. The owners are really trying to screw the players big time with this deal.

I honestly would enjoy the players taking a stand versus this greed by the owners and sitting out the season if it comes to that. The owners are really trying to screw the players big time with this deal.

I haven't been following the lockout because I know this was gonna happen but damb...this is getting more and more depressing. I'm counting on the season being cancelled. 
tired.gif

I haven't been following the lockout because I know this was gonna happen but damb...this is getting more and more depressing. I'm counting on the season being cancelled. 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

tired.gif

ohwell.gif
When all the non-stars in the league start missing paychecks. That will get the ball rolling a lot faster. Reality hasn't sunk in for the players yet. Once they miss a month or two of checks, they'll come crawling back (and for a much worse deal). For every guy that can afford to miss a season (or hell, two or three months), there are ten guys in the league who can't.

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

tired.gif

ohwell.gif
When all the non-stars in the league start missing paychecks. That will get the ball rolling a lot faster. Reality hasn't sunk in for the players yet. Once they miss a month or two of checks, they'll come crawling back (and for a much worse deal). For every guy that can afford to miss a season (or hell, two or three months), there are ten guys in the league who can't.

The players can't be that stupid, though.

I can't see D-Fish and these guys accepting even a crappier deal months down the line.
Yep.

The players can't be that stupid, though.

I can't see D-Fish and these guys accepting even a crappier deal months down the line.
Yep.

League, players about $80 million apart

There were no fireworks, no tantrums and no tirades. There was all the resignation and disappointment of doomsday, but none of the reality.

The reality is that the NBA owners and players, after showing most of their cards Tuesday in a bargaining session that failed to save an on-time start to the regular season, are approximately $80 million-a-year apart on the economics of a new collective bargaining agreement, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told CBSSports.com.

Though no additional negotiations are scheduled and the process now enters the dangerous and unpredictable phase where any slipups could jeopardize a large chunk of the regular season, the two sides are closer than they publicliy divulged in a pair of dueling news conferences in adjacent meetings rooms of a Times Square hotel.

Here is where they are, according to multiple people involved in the negotiations: After the owners offered the players a 50-50 split of revenues that effectively was a 47 percent share with about $350 million in expenses deducted first, the two sides met in small groups in the hallway while each side's larger group caucused in separate rooms. As the hour grew late, the tension was rising and becoming palpable. Both sides recognized it was time to try everything possible to make a deal.

In the group for the league side were commissioner David Stern, deputy commissioner Adam Silver and Spurs owner Peter Holt, the chairman of the labor relations committee. For the players, it was union president Derek Fisher, outside counsel Jeffrey Kessler and two of the brightest stars who attended Tuesday's crucial bargaining session -- Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett, according to one of the people with knowledge of the side meeting.

In that group, the league -- sensing that the opportunity for a deal was there -- proposed a 50-50 split with no additional expense reductions over a seven-year proposal, with the seventh year being a players' option, one of the people said. This was the offer Stern described in his news conference Tuesday evening, one that he and Silver thought would be enough to finally close the enormous gap between the two sides.

The league's offer, according to a person familiar with it, came in the form of a range of 49-51 -- with 49 percent guaranteed and a cap of 51 percent, the sources said.

Stern told the players and Kessler that he was bringing this proposal to his owners in an attempt to sell it, making no bones about the fact that he would. In fact, Stern said in the news conference, he did sell it. The owners were prepared to sign off on this 49-51 percent band, and with many of the most polarizing system issues resolved, the framework of a deal was in sight.

While the owners were caucusing, a member of the players' group returned with a counterproposal -- approximately 52 percent of BRI for the players with no additional expenses deducted. The players' counterproposal followed the format presented by the owners -- a 51-53 percent band with 51 percent guaranteed and a cap of 53. The league rejected the offer, the sources said.

So while Hunter and Stern remained publicly entrenched in the ecoomic positions of their most recent formal proposals -- with the players asking for 53 percent and the league offering effectively 47, the reality is this: the gap has closed to 2 percentage points of BRI, the difference between the midpoint of the two offers.

With each percentage point of BRI worth about $40 million, the two sides -- who were at one time $8 billion apart over 10 years -- are now a mere $80 million apart on an annual basis. So you can see what the two sides saw Tuesday -- the road to a deal that both sides eventually can find a way to live with that is better than the alternative of missing a substantial portion of the regular season.
Link

IF true, GET THE DEAL DONE!

League, players about $80 million apart

There were no fireworks, no tantrums and no tirades. There was all the resignation and disappointment of doomsday, but none of the reality.

The reality is that the NBA owners and players, after showing most of their cards Tuesday in a bargaining session that failed to save an on-time start to the regular season, are approximately $80 million-a-year apart on the economics of a new collective bargaining agreement, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told CBSSports.com.

Though no additional negotiations are scheduled and the process now enters the dangerous and unpredictable phase where any slipups could jeopardize a large chunk of the regular season, the two sides are closer than they publicliy divulged in a pair of dueling news conferences in adjacent meetings rooms of a Times Square hotel.

Here is where they are, according to multiple people involved in the negotiations: After the owners offered the players a 50-50 split of revenues that effectively was a 47 percent share with about $350 million in expenses deducted first, the two sides met in small groups in the hallway while each side's larger group caucused in separate rooms. As the hour grew late, the tension was rising and becoming palpable. Both sides recognized it was time to try everything possible to make a deal.

In the group for the league side were commissioner David Stern, deputy commissioner Adam Silver and Spurs owner Peter Holt, the chairman of the labor relations committee. For the players, it was union president Derek Fisher, outside counsel Jeffrey Kessler and two of the brightest stars who attended Tuesday's crucial bargaining session -- Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett, according to one of the people with knowledge of the side meeting.

In that group, the league -- sensing that the opportunity for a deal was there -- proposed a 50-50 split with no additional expense reductions over a seven-year proposal, with the seventh year being a players' option, one of the people said. This was the offer Stern described in his news conference Tuesday evening, one that he and Silver thought would be enough to finally close the enormous gap between the two sides.

The league's offer, according to a person familiar with it, came in the form of a range of 49-51 -- with 49 percent guaranteed and a cap of 51 percent, the sources said.

Stern told the players and Kessler that he was bringing this proposal to his owners in an attempt to sell it, making no bones about the fact that he would. In fact, Stern said in the news conference, he did sell it. The owners were prepared to sign off on this 49-51 percent band, and with many of the most polarizing system issues resolved, the framework of a deal was in sight.

While the owners were caucusing, a member of the players' group returned with a counterproposal -- approximately 52 percent of BRI for the players with no additional expenses deducted. The players' counterproposal followed the format presented by the owners -- a 51-53 percent band with 51 percent guaranteed and a cap of 53. The league rejected the offer, the sources said.

So while Hunter and Stern remained publicly entrenched in the ecoomic positions of their most recent formal proposals -- with the players asking for 53 percent and the league offering effectively 47, the reality is this: the gap has closed to 2 percentage points of BRI, the difference between the midpoint of the two offers.

With each percentage point of BRI worth about $40 million, the two sides -- who were at one time $8 billion apart over 10 years -- are now a mere $80 million apart on an annual basis. So you can see what the two sides saw Tuesday -- the road to a deal that both sides eventually can find a way to live with that is better than the alternative of missing a substantial portion of the regular season.
Link

IF true, GET THE DEAL DONE!

Chris Mannix from SI says it might be in the $120-160 million range but that's still negotiable.

Chris Mannix from SI says it might be in the $120-160 million range but that's still negotiable.

That's quite a large gap we've closed.. If a deal isn't done by Monday then I think we're locked out til January, though.

Back
Top Bottom