The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

That's quite a large gap we've closed.. If a deal isn't done by Monday then I think we're locked out til January, though.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

That's quite a large gap we've closed.. If a deal isn't done by Monday then I think we're locked out til January, though.

so we knick fans are gonna party like it's 1999, huh?
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

so we knick fans are gonna party like it's 1999, huh?
laugh.gif
grin.gif

@Amareisreal

Amar'e Stoudemire 

Met with the NBA owners today, made no progress. We as players are a lot smarter then they think. We are prepared to boycott. #StandProud

1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry[emoji]174[/emoji]  Favorite Retweet Reply

@Amareisreal

Amar'e Stoudemire 

Met with the NBA owners today, made no progress. We as players are a lot smarter then they think. We are prepared to boycott. #StandProud

Waiting for JA to come in and point out Amare's incorrect use of "then" instead of "than" and how "uneducated" players should just give in to the owners.

Also, Paul Pierce sometimes goes to clubs and therefore his opinion is null and avoid as a result.

Waiting for JA to come in and point out Amare's incorrect use of "then" instead of "than" and how "uneducated" players should just give in to the owners.

Also, Paul Pierce sometimes goes to clubs and therefore his opinion is null and avoid as a result.

I mean not for nothing, it's pretty funny when someone writes about how smart they are and incorrectly spells a word in the same sentence.

I mean not for nothing, it's pretty funny when someone writes about how smart they are and incorrectly spells a word in the same sentence.

Originally Posted by d3simet

@Amareisreal

Amar'e Stoudemire 

Boycotting a lockout huh?

Sorry that was too easy.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by d3simet

@Amareisreal

Amar'e Stoudemire 

Boycotting a lockout huh?

Sorry that was too easy.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

I'm officially beginning to accept 'no season' as a real possibility. 
tired.gif

If these knuckleheads can't come to an agreement now, what makes you think they will in a month or 2?
ohwell.gif
When all the non-stars in the league start missing paychecks. That will get the ball rolling a lot faster. Reality hasn't sunk in for the players yet. Once they miss a month or two of checks, they'll come crawling back (and for a much worse deal). For every guy that can afford to miss a season (or hell, two or three months), there are ten guys in the league who can't.
I don't understand this argument at all. It makes sense logically and I'm sure that's what the owners are banking on. I'm sure there are plenty of players that live a reckless lifestyle BUT these aren't guys making minimum wage that should be living paycheck to paycheck. The owners and the union KNEW this lockout was coming for almost 2 years now. The union spoke to the players and supposedly helped them prepare. They told them to save money, they created a fund. If the players start breaking down after missing a paycheck or two, they deserve to get strongarmed by the owners. For the guys that really can't afford to miss checks, they should be overseas playing ball. Even a cheap deal over there (100k), is more than enough if you're really struggling.

I think the only way the owners break is if the bad PR is spun onto the league and not the players. Fans threaten to not come back. When the owners feel that their pockets might get lighter, than they'll actually try and make a deal. If 26 teams are losing money (according to Stern - I don't believe it for a second), that's 26 teams that save millions of dollars if the season's cancelled. Why do they care if we get the NBA ever again?

Unfortunately, Stern is playing the media like puppets and they've been buying everything he says. 26 teams losing money. League losing over 450 million dollars last year (even though attendance, ratings are all sky high). The moronic contracts given out last summer (Drew Gooden - 35 million, Travis Outlaw - 35 million, Brendan Haywood - 55 million) are evidence that teams need to spend to compete and the system's broken (not that the owners are idiots). Now this 50-50 offer. Why some people believe anything this dude Stern says is absolutely beyond me.

I'm usually itching for basketball by the time the Orlando or Vegas Summer League starts - right now I'm
mad.gif
at this whole situation.

tired.gif

If these knuckleheads can't come to an agreement now, what makes you think they will in a month or 2?
ohwell.gif
When all the non-stars in the league start missing paychecks. That will get the ball rolling a lot faster. Reality hasn't sunk in for the players yet. Once they miss a month or two of checks, they'll come crawling back (and for a much worse deal). For every guy that can afford to miss a season (or hell, two or three months), there are ten guys in the league who can't.
I don't understand this argument at all. It makes sense logically and I'm sure that's what the owners are banking on. I'm sure there are plenty of players that live a reckless lifestyle BUT these aren't guys making minimum wage that should be living paycheck to paycheck. The owners and the union KNEW this lockout was coming for almost 2 years now. The union spoke to the players and supposedly helped them prepare. They told them to save money, they created a fund. If the players start breaking down after missing a paycheck or two, they deserve to get strongarmed by the owners. For the guys that really can't afford to miss checks, they should be overseas playing ball. Even a cheap deal over there (100k), is more than enough if you're really struggling.

I think the only way the owners break is if the bad PR is spun onto the league and not the players. Fans threaten to not come back. When the owners feel that their pockets might get lighter, than they'll actually try and make a deal. If 26 teams are losing money (according to Stern - I don't believe it for a second), that's 26 teams that save millions of dollars if the season's cancelled. Why do they care if we get the NBA ever again?

Unfortunately, Stern is playing the media like puppets and they've been buying everything he says. 26 teams losing money. League losing over 450 million dollars last year (even though attendance, ratings are all sky high). The moronic contracts given out last summer (Drew Gooden - 35 million, Travis Outlaw - 35 million, Brendan Haywood - 55 million) are evidence that teams need to spend to compete and the system's broken (not that the owners are idiots). Now this 50-50 offer. Why some people believe anything this dude Stern says is absolutely beyond me.

I'm usually itching for basketball by the time the Orlando or Vegas Summer League starts - right now I'm
mad.gif
at this whole situation.

The players can't be that stupid, though.

I can't see D-Fish and these guys accepting even a crappier deal months down the line.
I honestly would enjoy the players taking a stand versus this greed by the owners and sitting out the season if it comes to that. The owners are really trying to screw the players big time with this deal.
Yep.

Forget who is trying to screw who, the fact is the only thing waiting down the line is a worse deals for the players. You're not "sticking it" to billionaire owners who can afford to sit out an entire season. And I'm not defending anyone in this whole situation. I loathe everyone involved in this, so don't think I'm taking any particular side. I'm addressing the reality, which is that guys are going to be missing checks and most guys in the NBA can't afford to miss even a few months of those. That will compel even the most resolute individuals to cave a bit.

The players can't be that stupid, though.

I can't see D-Fish and these guys accepting even a crappier deal months down the line.
I honestly would enjoy the players taking a stand versus this greed by the owners and sitting out the season if it comes to that. The owners are really trying to screw the players big time with this deal.
Yep.

Forget who is trying to screw who, the fact is the only thing waiting down the line is a worse deals for the players. You're not "sticking it" to billionaire owners who can afford to sit out an entire season. And I'm not defending anyone in this whole situation. I loathe everyone involved in this, so don't think I'm taking any particular side. I'm addressing the reality, which is that guys are going to be missing checks and most guys in the NBA can't afford to miss even a few months of those. That will compel even the most resolute individuals to cave a bit.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

tired.gif

ohwell.gif
We're talking about a league (and sports in general) where guys make tens of millions and go broke because of irresponsibility. You're putting a lot of faith in a lot of people to be able to handle themselves. trust me, guys will be sweating once a couple months of checks aren't rolling in. Not saying everyone, obviously, but enough to swing momentum.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

tired.gif

ohwell.gif
We're talking about a league (and sports in general) where guys make tens of millions and go broke because of irresponsibility. You're putting a lot of faith in a lot of people to be able to handle themselves. trust me, guys will be sweating once a couple months of checks aren't rolling in. Not saying everyone, obviously, but enough to swing momentum.

Back
Top Bottom