The Official NBA Season Thread: California Classic Summer League

As soon as Ja got downhill...AD stepped into the paint. Ja had several options here.

Ja Hurts His Hand on a Hard Fall 0-2 screenshot.png

• A dumpoff to Tillman
  • A euro (this is literally the ideal time to use it)
  • A floater
And he defaulted to his usual...just jump as high as you can looking for a highlight....even if it's AD right there. Not a fan of taking away charges so a player doesn't have to use their brain.

So if Ja jumps first and AD comes into his landing space looking for a charge, its Ja's fault for being a rocket? Im not saying take away charges but cmon.

As soon as Ja got downhill...AD stepped into the paint. Ja had several options here.

• A dumpoff to Tillman
  • A euro (this is literally the ideal times to use it)
  • A floater
And he defaulted to his usual...just jump as high as you can looking for a highlight....even if it's AD right there. Not a fan of taking away charges so a player doesn't have to use their brain.
All of this is true but AD could have went vertical and changed the shot like he did the entire first half. I’m not rewarding Ja for being a crash test dummy.

AD goes vertical. Shot gets smothered. No foul. If ja wants to continue to climb that mountain and trick it off, that’s on him.

2 teams average more than 1 charge drawn per game (OKC 1.44/MIA 1.11). Tiny part of the game

The main pro-charge argument I can see is the deterrent factor for the offense

All of this is true but AD could have went vertical and changed the shot like he did the entire first half. I’m not rewarding Ja for being a crash test dummy.

AD goes vertical. Shot gets smothered. No foul. If ja wants to continue to climb that mountain and trick it off, that’s on him.

That's ONE of the options he had. The other was to stand there and let a typically out of control Ja pick up a charge trying to pick up a highlight.

Both options would have resulted in a Laker possession going the other way.

Except there's been a lotta instances where the ball is blocked cleanly and they still call a foul, it's giving the offensive player more advantages for no reason. AD did that earlier in the season against JT and it was called a foul.

Like how many times is verticality actually acknowledged?

Except there's been a lotta instances where the ball is blocked cleanly and they still call a foul, it's giving the offensive player more advantages for no reason. AD did that earlier in the season against JT and it was called a foul.

Like how many times is verticality actually acknowledged?
AD put on a verticality clinic in the first half. Fouls get called. Fouls get missed. I’m just saying verticality plays don’t end up with dudes falling face first. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

We complain about the game being soft. Get rid of the airborne into a guy standing there collision by making the defender go vertical.

Last edited:
AD put on a verticality clinic in the first half. Fouls get called. Fouls get missed. I’m just saying verticality plays don’t end up with dudes falling face first. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

We complain about the game being soft. Get rid of the airborne into a guy standing their collision by making the defender go vertical.

In Ja's case he'd have ended up falling on his back, players just need to be smarter and make better decisions.

Can you see Ja's feet off the ground here?

Ja Hurts His Hand on a Hard Fall 0-3 screenshot.png

If Ja was starting his upward motion regardless if his feet were on the ground or not, I dont think a a defender you should be able to slide in and take a foul.

Here it looks like AD is already in position, but its a screenshot so idk. If in the video hes still sliding to get into position then no, even if Ja hasnt left the ground yet you shoudnt be able to slide. Say it was happening literally at the same time, Ja about to go up and AD slide, Ja should get the benefit here, not AD.

Guessing it was talked about last night but does anyone think Westbrook fouled Book on that last play?

Look at how OC 90% of the offensive players were in this video. We want to reward them?

The first clip is what im talking about man. Offensive player was not out of control, he was going up strong. Defender slid in, I mean was he even playing defense? Technically yeah, cutting off a lane taking a charge but thats so whack.

Bail out call.

• A dumpoff to Tillman
  • A euro (this is literally the ideal time to use it)
  • A floater
I’m clipping it up now but the Grizzlies decision making left a lot to be desired. They repeatedly tried AD directly for some reason. Was bizarre. There’s just no way that’s in a playoff scouting report.

It's odd to me, that the popular response to wanting to disincentivize something dangerous, is complaining about it potentially being less enjoyable to viewers. Because seeing players writhe around on the ground in pain and then be out for the rest of the game is so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom