The Official NBA Season Thread: California Classic Summer League

Frank Vogel going to have a helluva time getting whatever roster they mismatch together to play defense. They should win a bunch of regular season games off the strength of their offense though.
Will they burn out though? 82 games is a whole lot and outside of Book, I'm not sure either KD or Beal can manage a full season. How many regular season games do you think they win?

Will they burn out though? 82 games is a whole lot and outside of Book, I'm not sure either KD or Beal can manage a full season. How many regular season games do you think they win?

They'll inevitably get hurt but as long as 2 of the 3 are out there in theory they should have enough offense. The playoffs are a different story though. If they're not a top 3 seed something has gone terribly wrong.

This is the second best shooting 1-3 punch ever.

As long as they’re healthy come playoff time, it’ll be pretty hard to beat them. Just gotta add some hustle players.

They took Denver to 6 with even less depth and practically no CP

As I've thought about it and read other takes.
Seems like this was prob the best of bad options as the Suns.

They used all their trade assets on the KD deal, Ayton is a distressed assets.
this was going to be their one chance really to upgrade, and the only reason it exists is because Beal is overpaid, and has a no trade clause.

and nobody in the league right now projects as a juggernaut, especially in the west.

Denver will prob lose Bruce Brown and still are reliant on injury prone guys like MPJ and Murray.

none of this ideal, but you prob don't need an ideal team to win a ring next year. might as well roll the dice.

IMG_0142.gif

What's the package coming back for Lilllard? If the Portland is getting back Robinson, Herro, and a couple of picks in the 20s, they are better off keeping him. Are they getting a Mitchell or Gobert return? Seems like every team that's a "contender" already made a big move and don't have many assets available. Trading Lillard also means Grant walks away for nothing.

Also the idea that trading Dame will lead to better long term success is being way too optimistic.
Just look at a team like NO. They have all the talent in the world after trading AD and have not made it past the first round, and now they are considering moving on from their best player. Houston sent out Harden are they gonna be in contention for a chip any time soon?
Portland could easily be in a position where they are winning about 20 games for 2-3 years and then none of their young players are as good or better than Lillard. That puts them right back stuck being not good enough to win but not bad enough to get a high pick. Those young players may leave Portland the first chance they get.

Now regardless of who goes second, why can't the third pick fetch you a big return? Hasn't this alway been a "3 player draft"? I keep seeing other teams improve their rosters with limited assets there's no reason Portland can't do the same with the third pick, a young 20 point scorer who's one of the best shooter in the league on a team friendly contract, and the 23rd pick. They can also easily access their future picks and then have another 3-4 future 1RP to work with (and they have 5 2RP :lol:)

What's the package coming back for Lilllard? If the Portland is getting back Robinson, Herro, and a couple of picks in the 20s, they are better off keeping him. Are they getting a Mitchell or Gobert return? Seems like every team that's a "contender" already made a big move and don't have many assets available. Trading Lillard also means Grant walks away for nothing.

Also the idea that trading Dame will lead to better long term success is being way too optimistic.
Just look at a team like NO. They have all the talent in the world after trading AD and have not made it past the first round, and now they are considering moving on from their best player. Houston sent out Harden are they gonna be in contention for a chip any time soon?
Portland could easily be in a position where they are winning about 20 games for 2-3 years and then none of their young players are as good or better than Lillard. That puts them right back stuck being not good enough to win but not bad enough to get a high pick. Those young players may leave Portland the first chance they get.

Now regardless of who goes second, why can't the third pick fetch you a big return? Hasn't this alway been a "3 player draft"? I keep seeing other teams improve their rosters with limited assets there's no reason Portland can't do the same with the third pick, a young 20 point scorer who's one of the best shooter in the league on a team friendly contract, and the 23rd pick. They can also easily access their future picks and then have another 3-4 future 1RP to work with (and they have 5 2RP :lol:)
If it's not Miami, I think it'll be Brooklyn that makes a play for Dame.

They don't have a blue chipper, but they have the picks from the Durant and Kyrie trades to offer.

Very proud of Dame and Portland. Dude is the anti Durant and I can respect it. Miami really messed up with the Beal deal.
How so?

Had the better package but it didn't even matter in the end. Beal chose where he wanted to go and it didn't hurt the Suns that his agent is the Father of Phx's CEO :lol:

Just gotta charge it to the game at that point

Fair points...but New Orleans had CP3, AD, and Zion all back to back and couldn't do anything. That says more about the incompetence of the organization than the players.
  • OKC made it to a finals appearance drafting and developing right.
  • Toronto grew organically for the most part and were smart about adding the right players (Lowry and Kawhi)
  • GSW and San Antonio literally built dynasties by drafting right.
The option of dealing the third pick with a player like Siakam is intriguing and if they can retain Grant and possibly even trade 23 + future first to bring in OG, then there's a conversation to be had.

But the value of the #3 pick depends on who lands there. Scoot should hold much more value than Miller. The people saying he's on equal value as Scoot are the same people who said that Jabari Smith should go #1 last year.

I personally believe Scoot is a talent worth building around so for Portland, you either go all in (more than just trading the #3) or you rebuild with Scoot.

If I were Charlotte and I really like Miller, I'd capitalize on Portland's desperation and trade #2 for #3 and #23. Portland will now hold more power to trade for the talent they're seeking.

i need dame to say he is also looking out for portland franchise going forward and wants them to have a nice return in any trade :lol:

stick it out and ring chase when you are closer to retiring

How so?

Had the better package but it didn't even matter in the end. Beal chose where he wanted to go and it didn't hurt the Suns that his agent is the Father of Phx's CEO :lol:

If the earlier post tweet in here was true Miami didn't want to deal with the 2nd apron issue after next year. If the tweet was to be believed Beal would've gone to Miami.

How so?

Think it's in reference to this

Back
Top Bottom