The Official NBA Season Thread: Player Option Day

I think you kind of answered your own question in your post but by putting out the worst players/lineups even if they compete at that their best and try their hardest it still lessens your chances of winning.

When it comes to coaching, if you’re guaranteed job security then you would more than likely prefer the higher pick and if you’re not guaranteed job security then you likely are on the hot seat anyway for not improving the teams play during your tenure or allowing them to get to that point so you’re stuck with whatever talent you’re given on a nightly basis. The Sixers and Thunder are the only teams I can recall openly tanking and they stood by Brett Brown and Mark Daigneault, respectively. From a FO/coaching perspective it’s really an organizational decision IMO.

I know you’re not guaranteed a #1 pick by tanking especially with the flattened odds but it doesn’t get any simpler than the mathematical fact that you have an increased probability of landing the #1 pick.

True. I mentioned Brent brown in my response to datznasty datznasty But I agree completely. In a case like that where the owner is cool with the plan, and the gm and head coach are afforded the job security and autonomy to execute it properly, it makes sense as it’s ultimately better to be very bad and rack up top picks. Especially for smaller market teams which aren’t popular free agent destinations. But if a team has an owner who is likely to panic and make impulse moves when things get bad and ugly with the tanking, that’s where it gets shaky.

But unless you have a young star and are trending upward, being a middle of the pack team is legit sports purgatory.

Yeah, I was only trying to figure out how that would work. Anyways, outside of the Eli Manning situation in 2004, the whole ‘top pick holding out/demanding a trade’ thing seems to be more just something sports fans talk/speculate about than something that would actually happen in the NBA or NFL.

You are certainly old enough to remember Steve Francis :smh:

Opposing team broadcasts complain about it. Beyond that, its OKC so its not like anyone talks about OKc anyways plus his slight frame and the way he does it it’s probably seen as more legit anyways. Its very rare youre just like cmon he easnt even trying to make a shot there he was just looking for a foul as opposed to say a Trae Young jumping sideways and backwards into contact. He’s #1 in drives along with Luka and Ja and theyre all top 4 in ftas which makes sense

You are certainly old enough to remember Steve Francis :smh:

Oh ****!! I forgot all about that. My man said “God’s will” was of the reasons why he didn’t want to play for Vancouver :lol: IIRC it was an unprecedented massive multi-team deal that went down to facilitate his wish. Madness.

29B199B6-E425-4168-9BE7-96D9DE280740.jpeg

Tried the hell outta Ja :rofl:

Clippers missing every open 3. Reminds me when Boston went like 4/50 from 3 against us last season :lol:

Back
Top Bottom