The Official NBA Season Thread: Mikal Bridges traded to the Knicks

Yeah you have to defend in space, rebounds out position. Guards have made the court bigger.

Gone are the days where you can just be big and foul
Layups are still higher percentage shots than threes. Play thru your bigs more and u wont have to worry about them contesting threes as much. Small ball cant work if u cant stop anyone. Giving up layups is a bigger liabilty than giving up threes but this copycat, stats obsessed league cant seem to understand that

Layups are still higher percentage shots than threes. Play thru your bigs more and u wont have to worry about them contesting threes as much. Small ball cant work if u cant stop anyone. Giving up layups is a bigger liabilty than giving up threes but this copycat, stats obsessed league cant seem to understand that
No one said bigs are irrelevant. And even if you play through your bigs, they still have to defend in space. Something that wasn’t asked of them 25 years. It’s harder to rebound because teams aren’t playing through the post of the sake of doing it (you can call 90s basketball a copy cat league too.)

Just not shrugging off zubac grabbing 29 rebounds. That’s a feat in any era with color television. Gotta have a motor and the ability to rebound out of position.

Easier to get layups with the floor stretched, making the help rotations longer.

You can absolutely throw it in inside and “play thru your bigs” but certainly you know very few big men possess adequate touch, hands, and passing ability out of the double to make this worthwhile.

There aren’t nearly as many “small ball” teams as you think. And the teams that can’t prevent layups (Utah, Sacramento, Brooklyn, etc) are all at the bottom of most defensive metrics

No one said bigs are irrelevant. And even if you play through your bigs, they still have to defend in space. Something that wasn’t asked of them 25 years. It’s harder to rebound because teams aren’t playing through the post of the sake of doing it (you can call 90s basketball a copy cat league too.)

Just not shrugging off zubac grabbing 29 rebounds. That’s a feat in any era with color television.
Oh yea i agree as far as rebounding goes. Its the scoring im getting at more. Literally all dunks or around the rim using his size. An average to above average big isnt getting 31 that easy 25 years ago Dont get me wrong im not hating on zu or his coaches for him doing what hes supposed to and excelling at it, i just wish it was more common place in todays game rather than seeing talent go to waste and solid bigmen changing teams every year on minimum deals.

Easier to get layups with the floor stretched, making the help rotations longer.

You can absolutely throw it in inside and “play thru your bigs” but certainly you know very few big men possess adequate touch, hands, and passing ability out of the double to make this worthwhile.

There aren’t nearly as many “small ball” teams as you think. And the teams that can’t prevent layups (Utah, Sacramento, Brooklyn, etc) are all at the bottom of most defensive metrics
Right because theyre being underdeveloped

Oh yea i agree as far as rebounding goes. Its the scoring im getting at more. Literally all dunks or around the rim using his size. An average to above average big isnt getting 31 that easy 25 years ago Dont get me wrong im not hating on zu or his coaches for him doing what hes supposed to and excelling at it, i just wish it was more common place in todays game rather than seeing talent go to waste and solid bigmen changing teams every year on minimum deals.

Dale Davis had a 28 point game under his belt. Antonio Davis scored 31 once. Charles Oakley had a 35/26 game his rookie year.

Nothing makes me think zu couldn’t get loose one game in his life 25 years ago.

Dale Davis had a 28 point game under his belt. Antonio Davis scored 31 once. Charles Oakley had a 35/26 game his rookie year.

Nothing makes me think zu couldn’t get loose one game in his life 25 years ago.
Ok now maybe im hating on zu cause im pretty sure all those players u listed are a bit better than zu:lol: Davis and oakley both could eat from mid range as well so i doubt it was all open dunks like it was with zu

Ok now maybe im hating on zu cause im pretty sure all those players u listed are a bit better than zu:lol: Davis and oakley both could eat from mid range as well so i doubt it was all open dunks like it was with zu
The Davis’ don’t do anything better than Zubac.

You got a distorted view of what things were like in yesteryear.

90s bigs: Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Olajuwon, Malone
2000s : shaq, Duncan, KG, Webber, Dirk

This generation: Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, AD

Unless I’m missing someone, which I probably am, there’s a good 4-5 great bigs still. So I don’t see the drop off.

90s bigs: Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Olajuwon, Malone
2000s : shaq, Duncan, KG, Webber, Dirk

This generation: Giannis, Jokic, Embiid, AD

Unless I’m missing someone, which I probably am, there’s a good 4-5 great bigs still. So I don’t see the drop off.

You didn't include KAT and I want you to explain why so these Minnesota fans can see it again.

Right because theyre being underdeveloped
Think you’re underestimating how difficult it is for literal giants to possess all of those skills.

And on top of that, they now have the added responsibility to be able to move their feet and stay in front of much smaller, agile guys 30 feet away from the rim. If they can’t they give up….. layups. Or they give them a cushion & pray that they miss open practice jumpers.

Very few men have the ability.

Most of your favorite bigs in the 90s would have their minutes limited today if not out of the league altogether because they would be victimized in the PnR.

It’s a MUCH harder job today

Think you’re underestimating how difficult it is for literal giants to possess all of those skills.

And on top of that, they now have the added responsibility to be able to move their feet and stay in front of much smaller, agile guys 30 feet away from the rim. If they can’t they give up….. layups. Or they give them a cushion & pray that they miss open practice jumpers.

Very few men have the ability.

Most of your favorite bigs in the 90s would have their minutes limited today if not out of the league altogether because they would be victimized in the PnR.

It’s a MUCH harder job today

Interesting....so the league today is harder than the past?

EYE was told bully ball hard foul 90's was the best basketball and most challenging.

Back
Top Bottom