The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 3-1 in the NBA Finals | RIP Jerry West

IMG_3213.jpeg

I don’t understand this logic, tbh. In regular people life would you tell someone to pick a job with less expectations? Nah, shoot for the moon. That job def comes with hella expectations and potentially could be disastrous, but it also comes with perks that other coaching jobs don’t. And in the slight chance he is successful (championship) during his tenure, he’d be a L.A. legend.

And if he fails, he’s still a young, white coach with name recognition. He’ll get another chance elsewhere. Probably multiple chances. :lol: Or he’ll go right back to his podcast. Or broadcasting. There really is no wrong path for him to take at this point.
In a regular setting I wouldn't, but things are different in a pro sports environment. Do young coaches really get second chances in the league? Only older guys seems to get the benefit of being a rehire and they are usually the guys who managed to tread water but never actually win any silverware.

But yeah, with that being said there is a lot working in his favor even if he did fail.

JJ being a Krzyzewski disciple probably doesn't hurt. HC of the Lakers is a tall task in itself, let alone one led by LeBron...otherwise, I don't see a whole lot of reasons, other than experience, not to give him a shot...Former Coach K guy, former player, recent player - who may be able to connect better with the players...assuming knowledge, attitude and a direction...why not?

JJ being a Krzyzewski disciple probably doesn't hurt. HC of the Lakers is a tall task in itself, let alone one led by LeBron...otherwise, I don't see a whole lot of reasons, other than experience, not to give him a shot...Former Coach K guy, former player, recent player - who may be able to connect better with the players...assuming knowledge, attitude and a direction...why not?
If it gets him off the air, I'm all for it.

In a regular setting I wouldn't, but things are different in a pro sports environment. Do young coaches really get second chances in the league? Only older guys seems to get the benefit of being a rehire and they are usually the guys who managed to tread water but never actually win any silverware.

But yeah, with that being said there is a lot working in his favor even if he did fail.

You def have a point. But that Lakers job is like the perfect cover for JJ. If (when?) he fails, pleas will be copped about the pressure cooker environment of L.A., his young age, etc. Some front office will give him another shot I’d imagine.

Other than MNF, I'm not sure ESPN has a pulse on anything they do right now. :lol:
Yea the 'Worldwide leader' has been looking flabby and sick ever since they got addicted to the Hot/First Take format :lol: :smh:

Used to be some variety at least with their programming and format but everything feels copy pasted now. They also used to respect and empower sports journalism much more than they do now.

Just now seeing that Dray clip and man...

Dude really just compared himself losing NBA money as a consequence of his own behavior to his mom's earnings while trying to raise a family back home with a straight face simply to duck accountability for his actions :wow: :rofl:

Bravo Dray, masterclass in sleight of hand and manipulation :lol::lol:

Legit lives on another planet, an equivalent fine for that dumbass comparison would've been her getting a $5 fine on a 25k salary.

Bending to the will of Donovan Mitchell. :lol:

He was Donovan's guy in Utah.

I mean the Cavs have no choice. I like Garland, but choosing Mitchell over him is the right move. If they let him walk for nothing, they’re screwed for the foreseeable future

Yea the 'Worldwide leader' has been looking flabby and sick ever since they got addicted to the Hot/First Take format :lol: :smh:

Used to be some variety at least with their programming and format but everything feels copy pasted now. They also used to respect and empower sports journalism much more than they do now.

Yeah, I think we've been in discussions about this before and been on the same page. Makes me miss the simple days of ESPN for main programming, ESPN2 extreme sports (probably have that be something different now), ESPNEWS with nonstop highlights.

They could go back to that model easily. Keep the hot take shows if you have to, but no re-air on the other channels until at least late night or something. ESPN2 can just be informative shows with little fluff for various leagues/sports. ESPNEWS back to all SC like format.

Idk...but they suck and have for years now. :lol:

That Lakers team was cooking in the regular season pre-bubble though tbf.

That was the best version of the Bron Lakers by far with the most depth so I don't think it was a forgone conclusion that the same Clips team that choked against Denver would've been able to get through the West
Yes but at the time a lot of people were skeptical of the Lakers, im sure looking back in the nba thread would support that lol. It wasn’t until that weekend they beat the Bucks and Clippers that the narrative kinda shifted. Overall I agree with you though

Back
Top Bottom