The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 2-0 in the NBA Finals | Lakers Targeting Dan Hurley

Bro its a barbie movie. Western women are consumers. Not exactly a head scratcher :lol:

It's the biggest opening by a female director ever.
the theater the intensity of interest
and the passion from the audience was the strongest I've seen since like Endgame.

Lot's of branded movies fail or perform just okay. And interest in Barbie as a product has been declining for years.

This has been a massive massive hit, and def performed beyond expectations.

I think that's interesting.

IMG_20230723_111749_604.jpg

It's the biggest opening by a female director ever.
the theater the intensity of interest
and the passion from the audience was the strongest I've seen since like Endgame.

Lot's of branded movies fail or perform just okay. And interest in Barbie as a product has been declining for years.

This has been a massive massive hit, and def performed beyond expectations.

I think that's interesting.
It is interesting, just not necessarily suprising. A listers starring in a movie about a doll most women grew up playing with. Sounds like a slam dunk to me.

Lol come on now us kids play pickup soccer all over. The difference is we have and invest in many more sports than just soccer. Basketball, baseball, football, all american invented sports so its no suprise they trump soccer in the states. In many parts of the world its still just soccer and even if they have other sports they are nowhere near as popular as they are here.

Yah I don't think so, creative sports require creative cultures.

You need unstructured informal play to really consistently produce the kind of creative athletes ideal for soccer.

Why can't China produce non 7 foot basketball players despite their massive population and resources?

Basketball from what I understand is the most popular sport there, you'd think they'd be able to produce more than like a Slovenia?

They can't because of their sports culture.

No unstructured play, long hours in extremely regimented practices. early professionalization.
Kid's get the love of the game beaten out of them earlier in China.

I think you have a similar thing going with soccer in the US, kids play organized soccer
but not much un structured, in formal play.

because of that I think US will always underperform relative to its resources.
I see your point but I don't think it is that simple.

A lot of unorganized play would be a symptom of popularity of the game. Areas with high African, and Caribbean immigrants, and there is space, you see unorganized play.

Having passionate kids is great, what ultimately matter is having a ton of passionate kids, to increase the probability you find stars.

I grew up in a country with a ton of unorganized play. Everyday at lunch we played pick-up games of soccer. If we didn't have a ball, or they banned us for having one because we broke a window, we would use a plastic bottle filled with stones. Most neighborhoods that could accommodate a field to play soccer, had one. There were a few soccer clubs that maybe practice once a week. I was a member of one. But our general infrastructure was in shambles.

And every summer, some kids from a French soccer academy used to come to the island, go around different clubs and neighborhood teams, and smoke all of us.

Looking at Slovenian basketball, pro clubs scout youth leagues for talent, and try to get them into academies early.

Infrastructure matters to turn passion into top tier talent. America's setup seems to be hurting their prospects in soccer. On top of the talent pool being small.

Cheap organized options for older kids are often non existent, limited, and places they are cost prohibitive. I don't think solving this issue will guarantee US dominance in soccer, but it seems logical or me it might help increase the probability they fine a star.

Overall I think it is a tough thing to solve because it relies on a feedback loop forming.

Last edited:
the Ken plot totally falls apart at the end, they have no satisfying conclusion to the interesting questions they raise about masculinity.
Ken learning masculinity and confidence are internal things not granted through patriarchy or partners isn't a satisfying conclusion? I'd say most men could use that lesson.

Last edited:
Loved Barbie, but when the characters went back to Barbie Land, the movie lost some steam to me.

I see your point but I don't think it is that simple.

A lot of unorganized play would be a symptom of popularity of the game. Areas with high African, and Caribbean immigrants, and there is space, you see unorganized play.

Having passionate kids is great, what ultimately matter is having a ton of passionate kids, to increase the probability you find stars.

I grew up in a country with a ton of unorganized play. Everyday at lunch we played pick-up games of soccer. If we didn't have a ball, or they banned us for having one because we broke a window, we would use a plastic bottle filled with stones. Most neighborhoods that could accommodate a field to play soccer, had one. There were a few soccer clubs that maybe practice once a week. I was a member of one. But our general infrastructure was in shambles.

And every summer, some kids from a French soccer academy used to come to the island, go around different clubs and neighborhood teams, and smoke all of us.

Looking at Slovenian basketball, pro clubs scout youth leagues for talent, and try to get them into academies early.

Infrastructure matters to turn passion into top tier talent. America's setup seems to be hurting their prospects in soccer. On top of the talent pool being small.

Cheap organized options for older kids are often non existent, limited, and places they are cost prohibitive. I don't think solving this issue will guarantee US dominance in soccer, but it seems logical or me it might help increase the probability they fine a star.

Overall I think it is a tough thing to solve because it relies on a feedback loop forming.

I agree, to be clear I'm not saying it's the only factor.

Unstructured play I think matters the most once you get above a certain level of GDP and infrastructure.

there's def a a level of organization you have to reach, but to get those peak talents,
you need a combination of unstructured play + talent identifications + infrastructure.

but I think with USA soccer I has money, has infrastructure, but because of the lack of culture I think they will always underperform relative to those other factors.

Nigeria for example has unstructured play and culture, and money but because of income inequality and corruption
they have zero talent ID system outside of children of rich people.

Ken learning masculinity and confidence are internal things not granted through patriarchy or partners isn't a satisfying conclusion? I'd say most men could use that lesson.

really does he learn that? they don't really have an answer to Ken's lack of meaning outside of Barbie.
they just...well you're Ken. it's circular; the solution to "Ken" not meaning is to find meaning in being "Ken" which...means nothing...

in fact kind of perversely the movie mocks the Ken's desire for purpose and usefulness.
and basically re-relegates them to serfdom.

Last edited:
Lol come on now us kids play pickup soccer all over. The difference is we have and invest in many more sports than just soccer. Basketball, baseball, football, all american invented sports so its no suprise they trump soccer in the states. In many parts of the world its still just soccer and even if they have other sports they are nowhere near as popular as they are here.

compared to a country like brazil for example. no american kids are not playing as much unstructured soccer at young ages.

David Epstien, Author of The Sports Gene (good book) talks about the research on this

A 2013 study in the “International Journal for Cross-Disciplinary Subjects in Education” found that kids in unstructured situations were more daring and creative but when parents were present, “the behavior of the children took on more expected and less imaginative traits.”

1690380708624.png

in general there's research showing an overall decline in american testing scores on creativity.

I think we have a larger problem of parents getting involved earlier trying to structure every part of their kids lives.

leading to more anxious and less creative children overall.

Back
Top Bottom