THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

C3F8FC0B-24A1-4179-B2B7-17A1C7E2466D.jpeg
Loving these , fit me perfect , need the black ones to hoop in now

The yellow (Lakers) aren't moving at my local store (like at all), and I think these orange ones are going to sit as well.

I like this Kobe a lot, but Nike made a mistake pricing this at $200. A lot of people wear Kobes casually and $200 is more than a lot are willing to part with for these when there are much cheaper options. And for those that hoop, you they can get a signature (PGs) at almost half the price. Add to that these don't have the most premium of feels/looks (nubs wearing off), and this might be a tough sell going forward. I think these are going to sell fast when reduced/put on sale. IMO, pricing these at $200 is right up there (mis-priced) with when they put the 9 'What The' at $275. $170 is a lot better.

Now for casual use, the Epic Reacts? They're flying off the shelf near me at $150 (and they got 'tech).

Last edited:
You know what funny. The new KD 11 will have full length zoom air and react cushioning wrapped around it or incased the shoe upper will have Flyknit. All for $150.

Think about that for yourself and compare the NXT 360 tech to new KD's that are about to drop later this month.

Any savy consumer will gravitate towards the new kd's if they know what they are buying.

Which I might just do for my summer hoop shoe.

360 might be a good shoe but not at $200, I'll wait for the Disco later this year.

The yellow (Lakers) aren't moving at my local store, and I think these orange ones are going to as well.

I like this Kobe a lot, but Nike made a mistake pricing this at $200. A lot of people wear Kobes casually and $200 is more than a lot are willing to part with for these when there are much cheaper options. And for those that hoop, you they can get a signature (PGs) at almost half the price. Add to that these don't have the most premium of feels/looks, and this might be a tough sell going forward. I think these are going to sell fast when reduced/put on sale.
This. It's 2018 and most people don't want to spend $200 on basketball shoes anymore. These should've been at the most $160.

This. It's 2018 and most people don't want to spend $200 on basketball shoes anymore. These should've been at the most $160.

Bottom line is for casual (my local store has them in window display with a casual outfit) they're a no-go at 200. And for BBall, if nubs wear off after 1 or 2 wears (even if it doesn't affect performance and is just perception), it's also a no-go (@ 200).

I think Nike is using the Kobe line to experiment with new technology and building methods. The XIs (at the time, IMO) seemed to be the most advanced basketball shoe but there weren't many 'risks' taken with the design. Cushioning was the same, EM or Flyknit was the same (save for the TPU thread reinforcement), traditional shoe tongue and lacing methods, etc.

Now that Kobe's out of the league and he's not hooping in his kicks, there's an opportunity to try more futuristic concepts. Kobe isn't wear testing these shoes in scrimmages anymore, let alone games. The ADs were the 'safe route' keeping the same cushioning and basic concepts as the Pre-ADs. Enter the NXT and NXT 360; the former being a risk as a bootie construction and non-traditional lacing, the latter being what could be the ultimate minimalistic basketball shoe.

Whether or not these new concepts will stick, I could see Kobe wanting to explore futuristic, non-traditional options and cutting edge designs with his line. That means that there are going to be some misses and it looks like the traction on these initial NXT 360s might be consequences of this type of risk taking. Hopefully they refine the design whether its a new traction pattern or different rubber compound, etc...

The yellow (Lakers) aren't moving at my local store (like at all), and I think these orange ones are going to sit as well.

I like this Kobe a lot, but Nike made a mistake pricing this at $200. A lot of people wear Kobes casually and $200 is more than a lot are willing to part with for these when there are much cheaper options. And for those that hoop, you they can get a signature (PGs) at almost half the price. Add to that these don't have the most premium of feels/looks (nubs wearing off), and this might be a tough sell going forward. I think these are going to sell fast when reduced/put on sale. IMO, pricing these at $200 is right up there (mis-priced) with when they put the 9 'What The' at $275. $170 is a lot better.
Now for casual use, the Epic Reacts? They're flying off the shelf near me at $150 (and they got 'tech).

You know what funny. The new KD 11 will have full length zoom air and react cushioning wrapped around it or incased the shoe upper will have Flyknit. All for $150.
Think about that for yourself and compare the NXT 360 tech to new KD's that are about to drop later this month.
Any savy consumer will gravitate towards the new kd's if they know what they are buying.
360 might be a good shoe but not at $200, I'll wait for the Disco later this year.

I hoop in these and I'm willing to spend $200 for the Yellow and Purple colorway because I'm a fan of both the Lakers and Kobe (just wish these were the old Laker gold instead of the new Laker yellow). If PGs/KDs/Kyries sig line were $200, I would not not buy it. It is what it is. Although I will say, seeing how these are siting I will wait for them to hit discount before purchasing my next pair, unless it's a special colorway.

Wonder if they'll be an EM version of these shoes...would be interesting.
I don't see how they could considering they're called the 360's because it's full 360 flyknit around the shoe. It'd have to be 360 EM which I don't think is really beneficial or impressive at all lol, but they should make a less expensive version. They have the Mamba Rages but those aren't very good and for some reason they stopped making Venomenons

I think Nike is using the Kobe line to experiment with new technology and building methods. The XIs (at the time, IMO) seemed to be the most advanced basketball shoe but there weren't many 'risks' taken with the design. Cushioning was the same, EM or Flyknit was the same (save for the TPU thread reinforcement), traditional shoe tongue and lacing methods, etc.

Now that Kobe's out of the league and he's not hooping in his kicks, there's an opportunity to try more futuristic concepts. Kobe isn't wear testing these shoes in scrimmages anymore, let alone games. The ADs were the 'safe route' keeping the same cushioning and basic concepts as the Pre-ADs. Enter the NXT and NXT 360; the former being a risk as a bootie construction and non-traditional lacing, the latter being what could be the ultimate minimalistic basketball shoe.

Whether or not these new concepts will stick, I could see Kobe wanting to explore futuristic, non-traditional options and cutting edge designs with his line. That means that there are going to be some misses and it looks like the traction on these initial NXT 360s might be consequences of this type of risk taking. Hopefully they refine the design whether its a new traction pattern or different rubber compound, etc...

It's going to be interesting where this line goes. This past weekend, I spotted two people wearing thier 8s. In my area, people still wear Kobes casually. This new AD, 360 whatever, though, it's a performance-heavy shoe. Like I said in my earlier post, in stores near me, the 'Laker' 360 is on display in stores; matched with casual wear. I get the feeling people who wear Kobes casually (and it's a lot of people who've purchased Kobes) are kinda left out. Js go in two directions. The retros for casual wear (which is the majority of Js people buy), and then the annual performance releases. Maybe this 360 silhouette should have been made in both a performance shoe and EM kinda deal (priced at $150ish)?

I agree that the $200 price tag for the 360 NXTs is a bit high.

Though the 360 NXT technology IMO is more evolutionary than the KD11. Again, I haven't read anything on the KD11 save initial first impressions. The Flyknit is nothing new, we've seen this across various Jordans and other Nike running shoes. The "Flyknit" on the 360 NXT isn't quite sock-like, but it's thin and dense, it's nothing we've seen before in a basketball shoe. The midsole is a combination of react and lunarlon again another progression from the HD.

Depends on how you play really, I see the Kobe line with a mixture of Kyrie and KD signature shoe elements, lightweight and impact protection.

You could argue that Kobe's namesake and the nostalgic impact he's had is responsible for an extra $20.

Back
Top Bottom